33R, 3.71, international - chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuromcdoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school this cycle as a second time applicant. I applied in 2008 but was unsuccessful because of my international student status and my low mcats. I retook the mcats for a third time in april 2009 (26q in 2006, 26q in 2007 and 33R in 2009) and was pretty disappointed with a 33r as my average practice score was a 37 but oh well.

Anyways, you can take a look at my mdapp profile for more info but I was just wondering what you guys thought of my chances of getting into an american medical school this time. I completed my undergraduate at an ivy league and had an overall gpa of 3.71.

I really want to get in this time.....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
wow you're applying to a lot of schools...that's going to be ridiculously expensive and time consuming to fill out that many secondaries (just to warn you). I think with an improved MCAT you have a better chance at getting in, 26q is low even for an resident applicant. If you're Canadian...you're not considered as 'international' as say a student from Europe or Asia. Good luck.

wow you're applying to a lot of schools...that's going to be ridiculously expensive and time consuming to fill out that many secondaries (just to warn you). I think with an improved MCAT you have a better chance at getting in, 26q is low even for an resident applicant. If you're Canadian...you're not considered as 'international' as say a student from Europe or Asia. Good luck.

Thanks. I know that I am applying to a lot of schools but I am prepared to do whatever it takes to make sure I get in.

Thanks. I know that I am applying to a lot of schools but I am prepared to do whatever it takes to make sure I get in.

Just be careful to still make each secondary good. I think it's easy to sacrifice quality when you're having to fill out so many applications. 20 good secondaries are way better than 40 mediocre ones.