WAMC: cGPA 3.71, sGPA 3.62 31yo Enough Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrizzlyBR

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my husband's old account. He is already a PGY-1. I am mom of 4 and working towards medical school. Basically, I want to get advice what should I be doing at this time to better prepare myself especially in terms of the clinical/non-clinical hours.

I have several semesters left to get B.S. in Biology from a state university. Currently looking at cGPA of around 3.71 and sGPA 3.62, no MCAT (planning on early 2024). I want to apply to both MD and DO schools in 2024. I know I have to keep my GPA high and get at least 510 on MCAT. But I would like to see what I need to improve in terms of my clinical/non-clinical hours. This is basically what I have below:

1. Shadowing - 40 hours (Low?)
2. Research (lab and a course for credit) - ~300 hours
3. Tutoring kids - ~100 hours
4. Hospice volunteering - 150 hours (ONGOING) assisting hospice residents with whatever needs they have. (Clinical?)
5. Homeless shelter - 120 hours (ONGOING), mostly preparing and serving food.
6. Youth club treasurer - 500 hours (~3 years)
7. Sunday school teacher - at least 1500 hours across 8 years
8. Kids summer camp assistant/teacher/group leader - at least 1000 hours across 5 years.
9. Worked various jobs here and there in between kids. Nothing medically related.

I do not have a lot. Basically was stay-at-home mom caring for 4 kids and supporting my husband get through undergrad and med school.

Any suggestions on my hours?

I will be 33 at the time of application. Am I at significant disadvantage due to my age?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations.... (with all due respect) is there a reason why you cannot set up your own account?
It is connected to my primary email address. I am not sure if I can create another account with the same email address.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep accumulating clinical and non clinical volunteering hours. Another 10 hours of physician shadowing (primary care). As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you should receive DO interviews. 508 or higher and you could receive MD interviews. Post your MCAT score here in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations. Good luck to your husband too as he moves along.
You have enough shadowing as long as you have some with a primary care doc.
Your work so far is fine. And your age will not be held against you. Good luck.

This is a very strong start to your application. Maintain your GPA, get a good MCAT, and buff up your hours and I think you will stand a very good shot!