37 positive things about military dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have 37 things but I hate feeling negative or feeling like you are always focussing on what is wrong instead of what is positive. I will try to now elaborate on some positive aspects of military dentistry aside from the "travel, insurance, steady income" that most people say. I will customize the positives to certain personalities because that is what I see as the real difference in whether a positive is a positive or a negative.

1. If you are a shy/modest/or "safe" individual and don't want to assume the risk of ownership and ultimate responsibility for the success of a practice and the employment of many people in addition to yourself, the military is a great place to practice. Not everyone with a dental degree has the skills, guts, or desire to run the show. Lets be honest, the success of a dental practice is based primarily upon the skill, output, and character of the dentist. It is a business but it is based entirely off the output of 1. It makes or breaks off the sweat of 1. That is a lot of pressure for some. If you read this and think of yourself then a big group practice like the military is a great option. When people cancel my patients, patients don't show up, when it snows, when a tornado comes, when the economy goes down, if you have a physical disability which impedes but doesn't inhibit your ability to see at least 2-4 patients a day, then the military is a great place. It is a way to grow and progress in a system that doesn't correspond to your speed, efficiency, prowess, and deft clinical skills.

2. If you have marginal health that gives you the ability to do some clinical practice but you worry if you can see 15-25 patients a day, I'd think about the military. You get a steady paycheck no matter if you are having hernia surgery, if you are at a neurology appointment, or if your kid is at the doctor for the 100th time this year. It is a safe, fairly steady secure income.

3. Lets face it, it is WORK to do what we do in dentistry. It is sweat, relentless performance, comminicating, executing procedures, tough judgement calls, and risk. If you like time to take a breath in the day. See a patient for a crown prep and temporary in a 2 hour time frame, type up your note and eat a bagel, the military is for you. It is very nice to just do the job you feel is right at about the pace you feel is right and not feel pressure from a clock, from your accountant, from a debtor, or from your boss. You are treated the same as the next guy who does that crown prep and temporary in 45 minutes. He gets no more accolades than you. Clinical performance is separate from progression within the ranks.

4. If you like dentistry but you don't want to practice it 32 -40 hours a week, then the military has some diverse opportunities of experiences such as trainings in chemical, biological, nuclear weaponry. It has experiences in leadership development and there are even required courses such as Squadron Officer School, Air Command and STaff College, Air War College and some of these are necessary to eventually climb to become a colonel which is a magic spot where not many can touch you. It has experiences in education where you can not only teach but take tons of time developing lectures, matrices, evaluation, programs, spread sheets, etcetera. If you want to, you can lead a training program for dentists and spend 40 hours a week and not touch a patient but feel like you are doing "dentistry". No where else in the world will you find an educational institution pay two guys $420,000(together)/year to teach 4-11 residents 1.5-2 days per week. The more elaborate the computer program you develop to evaluate these young trainees the more time you don't have to touch patients and no one will give you guff over that.

5. If you rack up the medical bills because of your family's health, the military can be a great cushion against the relentless shock of medical bills. This can be a blessing for some. If you can pass the military physical and then have medical problems in the military, you too are set in terms of being shielded from the financial consequences of ailing health.

6. If you love designing, writing, or carrying out policy and like administration and meetings where you talk a lot about policy, procedure (not clinical procedure but military protocol in relation to clinical practice).

7. If you like rules and rigid guidlines make you feel secure and safe then the military is a great place because it is extremely rigid in terms of who does what, where, and at what speed.

8. If you love reviewing charts and documentation of clinical work then the military has plenty of work for you. There are tons of inspections that cause there to be almost a hundred percent chart review of every tiny detail, even those that might not be very relevant to clinical practice, efficiency, and productivity. Some people are extremely good and this and memorize every protocol for every class or circumstance. This skill and desire is very good in the military.

9. If you like public recognition for things done outside of the cubicle such as service projects, extra duties, etcetera, then the military is a great place. They have awards given every month, quarter and year. It is accompanies by a cool trophy most of which have something to do with an eagle or a flag at least in the Air Force. Some are accompanied by a great "coin" that is a very unique and elegant show of recognition. You can collect these coins/trophies and have quite a display.

10. If you like physical fitness, you are given time multiple times to workout during the work day. You get paid to run, do push ups, lift weights, do aerobics, ride a bicylce, swim etc. This is a great personal benefit. Sometimes now matter how good of shape you are in you will be required to go to mandatory fitness activities where you might be treated like you don't work out at all. Fitness is huge! Clinic schedules can be canceled or changed for a run or a gym session. Patient care many times does not rival physical training time.

11. I think you treat one of the greatest populations in the world. Not that they don't have problems, they do. But they are in an organization which may require them to sacrifice a ton, even their own life. Some do stupid things, some are down right scoundrels but the rules and regulations of the military pretty much keep even the bad apples in line. I consider it a privelege to treat them, their families, and the retirees. For many who are underprivileged, the military is their opportunity to enter a superior culture to their own which encourages responsibility, reliability, and upright living.

12. If you love to get emails from hundreds of sources inviting you to be involved in something, give money for something or be aware of something, I don't think you could find a more apt organization at this. There are literally hundred of opportunities to volunteer, give money, go to meetings, go to awards, go to retirements, etcetera. There are literally thousands of official days, weeks, and month things to do. You could literally drown in all the ceremonies, meetings, and projects that are solicited especially on the internet. You will definitely feel important if this is something that appeals to you.

13. Educational opportunities. This is also an endless opportunity. You can get out of patient care for literally weeks and weeks a year in the name of education. There are opportunities within your own dental squadron, local chapters, national, regional and you can go to almost all of them if you wanted. The military will pay you to go to many and will at least give you time off without docking vacation for what they won't pay for. No other organization in the world pays so much money to educate its professionals and many times this additional education does not have to translate into increased clinical performance but it can be solely for personal info or enrichment or just trivia. You could go to an expensive perio course and yet not have to practice a lick of perio. You can go to an implant course and not have to ever do a single implant. You can go to any residency and when you get out you don't have to do any or very little of any of it if you don't want to. Won't hurt your promotion or public recognition.

14. Every holiday off. Even holiday's that no one else really takes off, you'll get them off. It is a nice perk.

15. 30 days of vacation a year. Be CAREFUL though because if you are gone on vacation and happen to be out of town on the weekend you get charged those weekend days as vacation. So if you leave on vacation Friday after work and you spend the weekend and the following week on vacation and you don't comeback until the 2nd Sunday, you get charged 9 days of vacation for a week straddled by the two weekends. So 30 days of leave can essentially be a little as 3 whole weeks of vacation. Kind of tricky.

16. Very safe environment. You will be required to go to mandatory safety briefings almost monthly in which you will have to watch people do absolutely stupid things and tell you about what not to do like driving tired, driving after drinking etcetera. You will get briefings on sexual harrassment, discrimination, canoeing and other things that are illegal or dangerous and could affect your life or your co workers life/safety. Even if you have never drank a drop of alcohol in your life or never rode a motorcyle in your life you will be required to go to these breifings. If you guy screws up in your area, you will be treated as though you failed also in this bad decision of another. It is so safe that to even be close to someone who is unsafe, you'll be treated roughly or made to feel bad.

17. (wow, I am already on 17) Amidst the idiots, jerks, and incompetents of which there are more than there should be, there are some great, fun, smart, innovative collegues. And many of these collegues truly act like collegues instead of overbearing jerks. They are respectful, collaborative, and industrious. The sad thing is that these people are put in a tough spot: love the military and want military dentistry to be more than what it is. The challenge is that the culture can absolutely stomp the heart out of one. The frusteration can be so high that it can make you feel like you are going crazy. You live in the juxtapose of feeling extreme pride to serve in the military but see the reality of the waste, the abuse of power, the laziness, and the product of the expenditure of tax money. If it wasn't for the company grade officers and those whose productivity and output far outweighed their salary and benefits, the public outcry over the "professional welfare" would begin to ring out on the streets. So when a Major endodontist makes $110,000, teaches residents, and produces $650,000 in procedures a year he is really carrying the 2-3 colonels who sit at their desk, run away from patient care and take $210,000 and produce less than $50,000 per year. That endodontist is a great collegue. There are some great collegues in the military. Many of them feel futile in their efforts and are leaving. But it still is one of the huge positives of military dentistry.

I am tired.... anyone who wants to can put another 20 or so on here so we can reach our 37:)

Positive and negative can be the same things. It is all about view point, your personality, your value system, your skills, and your goals.

Members don't see this ad.

19. 6-8-12 months family free time....... Got tired of your wife and kids? Spend 6-12 months away from family. Raising kids gives you headache? Spend 6-12 months away from family (let wife deal with it). Hate family meetings, seeing friends? Spend 6-12 months away from everyone important to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did I just read that "canoeing" is bad? What exactly are we referring to here? the boat or something else?

Are you sure these are positives?

Pencil pushing, bureaucracy, mandatory insulting physical fitness, working less & less as your career progresses, inventing new micromanagement, meticulous record keeping.

I like details, but there are good ways and bad ways to focus on the infinitesimal.

Everyone will look at these things differently. I've been in military and civilian practice. I will admit we have to do some stuff that you would not do in private practice. But, you must remember, when in the military, you have to be an officer and a dentist. You will need to do some things outside of dentistry if you want to have a military career, but you don't have to give it up for good.

Some will say "officer first, Dentist second." I don't always agree with this, but bottom line is, we put on a uniform and we raised our hands and agreed to follow the orders of those appointed over us as well as to support and defend the constitution. Civilian dentists don't take that oath and therefore don't have to do some of the things we do.

Escalvo and I had a nice conversation today and I can say I feel some of his pain. My first assignment wasn't all rosy either, but I've had a blast since then. I've been to some great locations and I've gotten some of the best training in the world. I love the AF and my practice in it.

I came up with these in less than 10 minutes. I just didn't elaborate.

1. Job Security
2. No debt
3. Officer Prestige
4. Free Continuing Education
5. Physical Fitness maintained
6. Pay fewer taxes
7. See the world
8. Guaranteed retirement
9. No hiring hassles
10. No firing hassles.
11. No business plan
12. No equipment purchases
13. Patients never turn down optimal treatment due to finances
14. Free upgrades to equipment
15. Change in job duties, less monotonousness
16. No customer service freebies
17. No emergency hours
18. Military discounts
19. Don’t have to set up a corporation.
20. Don’t need an attorney
21. Don’t need an accountant
23. No supply rep
24. No malpractice insurance
25. Play all the golf you want. You’re not a real officer if you’re not a golfer.
26. Women love a man in a uniform
27. Post 9/11 GI Bill
28. Extremely little competition when applying for specialties
29. Thrift Savings Plan
30. USAA car insurance premiums
31. No medical insurance premiums
32. Guaranteed annual pay raise
33. Free access to shooting ranges
34. Rub shoulders with high power politicians/leaders. You could be the President’s dentist
35. Retire after just 20 years, become a dental school teacher for 20 more and get double retirement
36. Non-competitive work atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help each other learn. No patient stealing
37. Get paid to specialize in programs like Endo, Perio, Prostho instead of going into more debt.

Reactions: 1 user

1. Job Security
2. No debt
3. Officer Prestige
6. Pay fewer taxes
7. See the world
8. Guaranteed retirement
9. No hiring hassles
10. No firing hassles.
11. No business plan
17. No emergency hours
18. Military discounts
23. No supply rep
25. Play all the golf you want. You’re not a real officer if you’re not a golfer.
27. Post 9/11 GI Bill
29. Thrift Savings Plan
34. Rub shoulders with high power politicians/leaders. You could be the President’s dentist
35. Retire after just 20 years, become a dental school teacher for 20 more and get double retirement
36. Non-competitive work atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help each other learn. No patient stealing
37. Get paid to specialize in programs like Endo, Perio, Prostho instead of going into more debt.

Well Done.

I really need to start golfing.

I've been thinking the same thing...though I still don't understand the huge draw...

is it the beer on the side?

Everyone will look at these things differently. I've been in military and civilian practice. I will admit we have to do some stuff that you would not do in private practice. But, you must remember, when in the military, you have to be an officer and a dentist. You will need to do some things outside of dentistry if you want to have a military career, but you don't have to give it up for good.

Some will say "officer first, Dentist second." I don't always agree with this, but bottom line is, we put on a uniform and we raised our hands and agreed to follow the orders of those appointed over us as well as to support and defend the constitution. Civilian dentists don't take that oath and therefore don't have to do some of the things we do.

Escalvo and I had a nice conversation today and I can say I feel some of his pain. My first assignment wasn't all rosy either, but I've had a blast since then. I've been to some great locations and I've gotten some of the best training in the world. I love the AF and my practice in it.

hi, can you please share some highlights you had in military
please mentions GOODS and BADS. thank you

Did you ever get a ride in a fighter jet?

That could be a major incentive for me!

And I'm not joking...

Members don't see this ad :)

1. Job Security
2. No debt
3. Officer Prestige
6. Pay fewer taxes
7. See the world
8. Guaranteed retirement
9. No hiring hassles
10. No firing hassles.

11. No business plan
16. No customer service freebies - don't even know what this means
17. No emergency hours
18. Military discounts

23. No supply rep
27. Post 9/11 GI Bill

29. Thrift Savings Plan

after reading the list, it is obvious that you are neither a dentist, nor on active duty.

Last edited:
hi, can you please share some highlights you had in military
please mentions GOODS and BADS. thank you

Bads first since I always want to end on the good stuff.

Bad:
-My first commander wasn't very nice. I didn't expect him to be my friend, but I did expect some friendliness. He told me, "If you see me in the BX, you should walk down another aisle, because we can't do things together outside of work." I had no problem with this idea, as I had already decided I wanted to be as far away from him as possible. BTW - No one else has ever done anything like that.

- I don't always agree with the decisions of those appointed over me. I've had to learn how to be more diplomatic, even when I think I shouldn't have to be.

- Some of our assistants don't want to be assistants. That can be a pain, because many of them cannot retrain, so we're stuck with them. They usually come around or get out, so it works out in the end. Most assistants are top notch.

- My wife's career was put on hold for a bit while we were moving. She is a stay at home Mom for now. However, as a teacher, she had to take licensing tests in some states, etc... and it was just a pain.

GOOD
- Honestly, too many to mention, but I'll list a few.

- My practice has never been truly restricted. I've had a full practice of things I liked to do from day 1. At my first assignment, no one wanted to do endo, but I loved it. I provided all the endo treatment for 18 months. It was a blast. I'm able to provide the best treatment no matter how much it costs. My job is to provide state of the art dental care to my beneficiaries and they don't have to pay for it.

- Training. I've talked about this quite a bit, but military training is some of the best in the world. I went to a great 2 year AEGD and have had some great assignmnets since then.

- Jobs. I've worked as a deputy commander, an instructor, a program director, and I worked at headquarters and by default was a delegate the the ADA house of delegates. Therefore, I got to vote and express my opinion on issues that affect all of Dentistry nationwide. I have also been a delegate for the AGD.

- Assignmnets. Texas, Colorado, D.C., and Alaska so far. Great places to be. I'm not stuck in one place my whole life. One day, I'll be ready to stop moving around and I'll retire and go home. Until then, I'm going to enjoy my practice all over the world.

- Outside of Dentistry jobs. I've been the triage officer for my Med Group for quite a while now. It's challenging, but fun. I was the triage office for an AF group that deployed to show what an AF medical team could do for a natural disaster. We were not only evaluated by our military, but observed by several foreign militaries as well. I'm on the Dental Forensics team and have had to do some forensic identifications.

- Fun TDY opportunities. I've been to Bolivia and above the Arctic Circle providing dental care to those that don't have good access to care. These missions are very rewarding and are worth staying in for just to try to go on another one. As the Chief Consultant for Dentistry, I had to opportunity to tour all our bases in Europe and discuss dentistry with all our staff in Europe.

Many more, but too much to mention. I've put up with some stuff that I didn't like, but I've had way more fun that outways the negatives. Some will have different experiences. I like to be challenged and to do things outside my comfort zone, so it has been a good experience for me. You can't look at it like your freedom has been taken away. You need to look at it as a great skill building experience that guarantees your freedom and the freedom of your family.

And I'm not joking...
No. I would love to get an incentive ride in a fighter and maybe it will pretty soon. I've been in several of our aircraft, but no fighters. Those rides are hard to come by.

And I'm not joking...

I was invited an number of time but turned them down. I don't want to give one of the fighter jocks the chance to tell his buddys about making the Doc throw up.

But like AFDDS I have ridden in lots of other military aircraft. I even had one assignment were we commuted to work every day in Army blackhawk helicopters.

1. Job Security
2. No debt
3. Officer Prestige
6. Pay fewer taxes
7. See the world
8. Guaranteed retirement
9. No hiring hassles
10. No firing hassles.
11. No business plan
17. No emergency hours
18. Military discounts
23. No supply rep
27. Post 9/11 GI Bill
29. Thrift Savings Plan
Dude, are you sure there is no emergency hours man? Hell no! I had to pull 10 days out of a month for DOD. These patients just abuse the system and bull**** in the middle of night and seeks for drugs. Have you served active duty?

Dude, are you sure there is no emergency hours man? Hell no! I had to pull 10 days out of a month for DOD. These patients just abuse the system and bull**** in the middle of night and seeks for drugs. Have you served active duty?

Depends on the location. In Hawaii I was called in 2-3/week, at my next duty station 3-5 times in 4 years.

Active duty beneficiary population determines the size of the clinic at most locations. OCONUS locations are also staffed, at least in the AF, for AD and dependents.

I have been in the Army for 5 years, and worked moonlighting for a year on weekends...there is no way I would leave the Army for all they offer..

There was a really good inclusive list above...and the military is not for everyone, just like private practice is not for everyone...you should try both and see what appeals to you..

One thing about private practice...once you set up your place, you will be dong the same thing tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, 4 years from now, 15 years from now...it will just be on different patients..that is really it..

In the Army...your career will be completely different in just a few years..location, skills, practice scope, responsibilities..you will never be bored.

I have spent 19 months in Iraq total in 2 separate deployments, I jump out of planes, have gone skydiving, been to some really cool places, get tons of days off, leave the office at 4 and don't worry about it all night...and I am still getting paid on top of all that!

Many people say you don't get paid enough...they just aren't looking in the right spots for all the "non financial" benefits of the Army!

1. Job Security
2. No debt
3. Officer Prestige
6. Pay fewer taxes
7. See the world
8. Guaranteed retirement
9. No hiring hassles
10. No firing hassles.
11. No business plan
17. No emergency hours
18. Military discounts
19. Don't have to set up a corporation.
20. Don't need an attorney
21. Don't need an accountant
23. No supply rep
25. Play all the golf you want. You're not a real officer if you're not a golfer.
27. Post 9/11 GI Bill
29. Thrift Savings Plan
34. Rub shoulders with high power politicians/leaders. You could be the President's dentist

I've been in for awhile now and have a new perspective

1. Job Security--The dental corps is under constant threat of being terminated. We send out tons of work through ADDP and hire tons of contractors. The only reason they haven't dissolved the dental corps already is because they can't deploy contractors. No dent would join if it were deployment only work.
2. No debt--These scholarships aren't that sweet. I still have plenty of loan debt
3. Officer Prestige--Overrated. I hate being an officer. I just want to be a dentist. Having to be an officer takes away from being the best dentist I can be.
4. Free Continuing Education--Can't deny this one, this is pretty sweet. But there's free CD in the private sector too.
5. Physical Fitness maintained--If I wanted to be a fat a** I could and wouldn't get fired. I wouldn't get promoted too high, but I wouldn't get fired. People maintain their health because they want to whether in the military or private practice.
6. Pay fewer taxesOf course, you also make waaay less.
7. See the worldI can do that in the private sector too
8. Guaranteed retirementIs it really? It would be no surprise at all if I heard in 20 years that military retirement is unsustainable just like social security and the government just reduces it away until it practically doesn't exist.
9. No hiring hassles--Yah right. We're constantly understaffed. I wish I had the capability of hiring someone. But nope, I gotta do it all myself.
10. No firing hassles. I wish I could fire some of the f'ers. The ability to fire seems more like a blessing.
11. No business planThe business plan is the mission goal. You better get that 95% dental readiness! Until you do, it's just fillings and exams LT
12. No equipment purchasesSure, just use the fifteen year old hand piece. Of course, you can fill out the 10 page form and write the five requests up your chain of command to get a new one. I'm pretty sure that sending a couple hundred bucks to schein would be waaaay easier.
13. Patients never turn down optimal treatment due to finances.--true, but because you're not allowed to place or restore implants you can't offer the best treatment plan.
14. Free upgrades to equipment.--It's just that they come whenever the command wants them, not necessarily when you need them.
15. Change in job duties, less monotonousnessStability can be nice when you've got a nice niche.
16. No customer service freebies--can't argue that
17. No emergency hours very little emergency hours
18. Military discountspretty nice i must say
19. Don't have to set up a corporation.i doubt it's that hard but who knows
20. Don't need an attorneypretty sweet
21. Don't need an accountantnice
23. No supply repyup
24. No malpractice insurancenice
25. Play all the golf you want. You're not a real officer if you're not a golfer.dream world. I golf maybe two or three times a year.
26. Women love a man in a uniformyup
27. Post 9/11 GI Billsweeeeet
28. Extremely little competition when applying for specialtiescan't argue that
29. Thrift Savings Planno better than an ira
30. USAA car insurance premiumssweeeeet
31. No medical insurance premiumsawesome
32. Guaranteed annual pay raisenot enough
33. Free access to shooting rangesreally? who cares!
34. Rub shoulders with high power politicians/leaders. You could be the President's dentistGood luck with that
35. Retire after just 20 years, become a dental school teacher for 20 more and get double retirementgo for it!
36. Non-competitive work atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help each other learn. No patient stealingnice
37. Get paid to specialize in programs like Endo, Perio, Prostho instead of going into more debt.very nice

My father-in-law loves being a military dentist. He has good hours, job security, pretty decent pay, AND he gets to ditch his wife from time to time.

I've been in for awhile now and have a new perspective

1. Job Security--The dental corps is under constant threat of being terminated. We send out tons of work through ADDP and hire tons of contractors. The only reason they haven't dissolved the dental corps already is because they can't deploy contractors. No dent would join if it were deployment only work.
2. No debt--These scholarships aren't that sweet. I still have plenty of loan debt
3. Officer Prestige--Overrated. I hate being an officer. I just want to be a dentist. Having to be an officer takes away from being the best dentist I can be.
4. Free Continuing Education--Can't deny this one, this is pretty sweet. But there's free CD in the private sector too.
5. Physical Fitness maintained--If I wanted to be a fat a** I could and wouldn't get fired. I wouldn't get promoted too high, but I wouldn't get fired. People maintain their health because they want to whether in the military or private practice.
6. Pay fewer taxesOf course, you also make waaay less.
7. See the worldI can do that in the private sector too
8. Guaranteed retirementIs it really? It would be no surprise at all if I heard in 20 years that military retirement is unsustainable just like social security and the government just reduces it away until it practically doesn't exist.
9. No hiring hassles--Yah right. We're constantly understaffed. I wish I had the capability of hiring someone. But nope, I gotta do it all myself.
10. No firing hassles. I wish I could fire some of the f'ers. The ability to fire seems more like a blessing.
11. No business planThe business plan is the mission goal. You better get that 95% dental readiness! Until you do, it's just fillings and exams LT
12. No equipment purchasesSure, just use the fifteen year old hand piece. Of course, you can fill out the 10 page form and write the five requests up your chain of command to get a new one. I'm pretty sure that sending a couple hundred bucks to schein would be waaaay easier.
13. Patients never turn down optimal treatment due to finances.--true, but because you're not allowed to place or restore implants you can't offer the best treatment plan.
14. Free upgrades to equipment.--It's just that they come whenever the command wants them, not necessarily when you need them.
15. Change in job duties, less monotonousnessStability can be nice when you've got a nice niche.
16. No customer service freebies--can't argue that
17. No emergency hours very little emergency hours
18. Military discountspretty nice i must say
19. Don’t have to set up a corporation.i doubt it's that hard but who knows
20. Don’t need an attorneypretty sweet
21. Don’t need an accountantnice
23. No supply repyup
24. No malpractice insurancenice
25. Play all the golf you want. You’re not a real officer if you’re not a golfer.dream world. I golf maybe two or three times a year.
26. Women love a man in a uniformyup
27. Post 9/11 GI Billsweeeeet
28. Extremely little competition when applying for specialtiescan't argue that
29. Thrift Savings Planno better than an ira
30. USAA car insurance premiumssweeeeet
31. No medical insurance premiumsawesome
32. Guaranteed annual pay raisenot enough
33. Free access to shooting rangesreally? who cares!
34. Rub shoulders with high power politicians/leaders. You could be the President’s dentistGood luck with that
35. Retire after just 20 years, become a dental school teacher for 20 more and get double retirementgo for it!
36. Non-competitive work atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help each other learn. No patient stealingnice
37. Get paid to specialize in programs like Endo, Perio, Prostho instead of going into more debt.very nice

One of you military dentists should get in contact with the president's dentist, get him on SDN to tell us how he/she got there and what it's like! ;)

Bottom line is, you can't make everyone happy. Some of the negatives have been over stated or over simplified. The Dental Corps is not in any danger of going away at this point. Yes, some of the things on the list are a hassle and some aren't. Some are so minor, I can't believe anyone complains about them, but like I said, not everyone will be happy.

I like being an officer. I don't think it has taken anything away from being a dentist. Matter of fact, it has provided some opportunities that wouldn't be available in the civilian world.

I think the list above is a good one. The only way you will know if it is right for you is to do your own pros and cons list and experience it yourself. I have been in long enough to hear all the horror stories and have found the vast majoiryt of them to be completely false. I have also heard all the glorious stories and have found the vast majoirty of them to be spot on or at least mostly true. Thing is, what I find + or - you may see the other way.

So my advice is this. If someone is telling you all negative stuff, don't listen. They will never be happy anyway and their opinion is probably skewed. If someone is telling you everything is rosy and there are no downsides, dont listen. They are a sunshine pumper not in touch with reality.

I've got almost 13 years in. I can say that I love being in the AF. I'm glad I joined and I enjoy my service. But, I realize there are some things that are a true pain and no one really likes to do, but that's part of life; military or not.

One of you military dentists should get in contact with the president's dentist, get him on SDN to tell us how he/she got there and what it's like! ;)

I spoke to one when I was at OIS. This was years ago, but he told us they made him take a polygraph to make sure he didn't have any secret ambitions to harm the president.

Bottom line is, you can't make everyone happy. Some of the negatives have been over stated or over simplified. The Dental Corps is not in any danger of going away at this point. Yes, some of the things on the list are a hassle and some aren't. Some are so minor, I can't believe anyone complains about them, but like I said, not everyone will be happy.

I like being an officer. I don't think it has taken anything away from being a dentist. Matter of fact, it has provided some opportunities that wouldn't be available in the civilian world.

I think the list above is a good one. The only way you will know if it is right for you is to do your own pros and cons list and experience it yourself. I have been in long enough to hear all the horror stories and have found the vast majoiryt of them to be completely false. I have also heard all the glorious stories and have found the vast majoirty of them to be spot on or at least mostly true. Thing is, what I find + or - you may see the other way.

So my advice is this. If someone is telling you all negative stuff, don't listen. They will never be happy anyway and their opinion is probably skewed. If someone is telling you everything is rosy and there are no downsides, dont listen. They are a sunshine pumper not in touch with reality.

I've got almost 13 years in. I can say that I love being in the AF. I'm glad I joined and I enjoy my service. But, I realize there are some things that are a true pain and no one really likes to do, but that's part of life; military or not.

"Sunshine pumper" I love it! Can I use that?