This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveandhopefulMD

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states, this will be my third time applying to medical school. I am truly seeking helpful advice. I understand there will be some rude comments but if you could, just please add in some help advice after whatever scrutiny you should send my way.

I just graduated in May 2017 with BS in Biochemistry- 4.0 overall GPA. I have many hours of EC both hospital and non-health care related. I also have great recommenders that know me well academically and on a personal level.

I have applied 2 times. One was between my junior and senior year, and this cycle which was right after I graduated college. I have not received any interviews, and I KNOW pretty much why (MCAT). I will be reapplying for a third time.

My MCAT stats are 490(not adequate test preparation), 495(taken 1 mo. after first time), and 495 (taken in spring 2017). I have been studying studying studyinggggg. I have increased my MCAT score using Kaplan practice questions and exams to a solid 504 and now over the past month I have scored between a 508 and 511. I will be using AAMC practice tests from here on out to study. While, I will be a third time applicant, and have taken the MCAT 4 times, to which is all my fault, I truly just did not know what it entailed to apply to medical school. I did not have any guidance, and only found SDN and how to truly find helpful info after applying through desperate search on where I went wrong.

So with all his said, I am a Texas resident. I will be applying to all Texas MD schools and TCOM. I am searching to apply to schools out-of state as well, but keep realizing, that many schools, just as Texas schools, reserve only about 10% of seats for out of state residents.

WHERE would be my best options to apply going through MD and DO applications?

My beginning MCAT schools are ridiculous and embarrassing so before anyone wants to ridicule me on that, I get it. BUT I have found out exactly how I need to study to improve my score DO MY BEST on this test. Sorry, if I keep adding that I know there will be rude comments, it has happened before and it used to upset me to a degree, but I just truly want advice so please give it to me whichever way you are capable of.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly to certain DO schools in the next cycle and I suggest these:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ICOM
any new schools that may open for 2019 (PCOM-Moultrie, etc.)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range. Since you have an excellent GPA your 495 should result in some interviews. If your new MCAT is at least 508 then you could receive interview at some of your Texas schools.

ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ICOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range. Since you have an excellent GPA your 495 should result in some interviews. If your new MCAT is at least 508 then you could receive interview at some of your Texas schools.

Would you not recommend and MD schools for me to apply to?

Also, do these schools take a good number of out of state students?

Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ICOM

I think he would receive interviews at his state schools with 505+ MCAT, which should be feasible, given his practice tests of late.

Most OOS state MD schools interview few Texas residents since they assume they will attend Texas schools. The exceptions are generally high stat applicants and those with connections to the state or school (attended undergraduate school, legacy, etc.). The DO schools I listed accept many OOS applicants.

I think he would receive interviews at his state schools with 505+ MCAT, which should be feasible, given his practice tests of late.
Most OOS state MD schools interview few Texas residents since they assume they will attend Texas schools. The exceptions are generally high stat applicants and those with connections to the state or school (attended undergraduate school, legacy, etc.). The DO schools I listed accept many OOS applicants.

Okay, thank you!

As the title states, this will be my third time applying to medical school. I am truly seeking helpful advice. I understand there will be some rude comments but if you could, just please add in some help advice after whatever scrutiny you should send my way.

I just graduated in May 2017 with BS in Biochemistry- 4.0 overall GPA. I have many hours of EC both hospital and non-health care related. I also have great recommenders that know me well academically and on a personal level.

I have applied 2 times. One was between my junior and senior year, and this cycle which was right after I graduated college. I have not received any interviews, and I KNOW pretty much why (MCAT). I will be reapplying for a third time.

My MCAT stats are 490(not adequate test preparation), 495(taken 1 mo. after first time), and 495 (taken in spring 2017). I have been studying studying studyinggggg. I have increased my MCAT score using Kaplan practice questions and exams to a solid 504 and now over the past month I have scored between a 508 and 511. I will be using AAMC practice tests from here on out to study. While, I will be a third time applicant, and have taken the MCAT 4 times, to which is all my fault, I truly just did not know what it entailed to apply to medical school. I did not have any guidance, and only found SDN and how to truly find helpful info after applying through desperate search on where I went wrong.

So with all his said, I am a Texas resident. I will be applying to all Texas MD schools and TCOM. I am searching to apply to schools out-of state as well, but keep realizing, that many schools, just as Texas schools, reserve only about 10% of seats for out of state residents.

WHERE would be my best options to apply going through MD and DO applications?

My beginning MCAT schools are ridiculous and embarrassing so before anyone wants to ridicule me on that, I get it. BUT I have found out exactly how I need to study to improve my score DO MY BEST on this test. Sorry, if I keep adding that I know there will be rude comments, it has happened before and it used to upset me to a degree, but I just truly want advice so please give it to me whichever way you are capable of.

I doubt you'll get MD love outside of Texas unless you beat that 510 mark on attempt #4. I know I'd be apprehensive after I saw the three attempts (with no improvement even though there was a year between tries 2 and 3). I'd make sure to have a narrative for how/why you improved and to get in front of it in your application/secondaries.