3rd Year @ Columbia - AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wengerout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Used to be on SDN all the time, HMU with any quesitons you got and i'll answer as soon as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Is Columbia OOS friendly? How is the scholarship situation, do most students receive any awards. Any student in particular that received a ridiculous amount of scholarship money, if yes, what is typically the defining factor. Is their student housing provided at a reasonable price? Any pros that you have experienced attending Columbia that not many don't know about, other than going out places? Any regrets, or things that you don’t like about the school, (hyper-competitiveness, price etc...).

Is Columbia OOS friendly? How is the scholarship situation, do most students receive any awards. Any student in particular that received a ridiculous amount of scholarship money, if yes, what is typically the defining factor. Is their student housing provided at a reasonable price? Any pros that you have experienced attending Columbia that not many don't know about, other than going out places? Any regrets, or things that you don’t like about the school, (hyper-competitiveness, price etc...).

Columbia is very OOS friendly.

Most aid is need based and maxes out at 12.5k a year.

There is on campus housing in Bard Hall, Towers 1,2,3 , and some other buildings.

I really enjoyed my time here. As the numbers state a good chunk of the class is pursuing Oral Surgery (I believe our last class had 19 people match into OS, so just under 25%). It's a good place to go if you think you want to specialize/you don't have a ridiculously cheap option (Like a Texas school).

Only thing I personally didn't like is doing med school, since I have no interest in specializing. However parts of it (Anatomy Lab) were cool and made it worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I applied this cycle on the first day 6/4, and I know they just started reviewing applications. I haven't heard any word from them yet that I am missing anything in my application but my committee letter only technically contained 2 science professors (one organic chem 2 prof and one mammology prof). I have a 4.0 and 21 DAT and i was wondering my chance of getting an interview? Im afraid that even though they accept committee letters, my 2 science professors is not enough. However, some other people have already received interviews that don have the standard 3 science letters. I also sadly do not have any research.

Hello, I applied this cycle on the first day 6/4, and I know they just started reviewing applications. I haven't heard any word from them yet that I am missing anything in my application but my committee letter only technically contained 2 science professors (one organic chem 2 prof and one mammology prof). I have a 4.0 and 21 DAT and i was wondering my chance of getting an interview? Im afraid that even though they accept committee letters, my 2 science professors is not enough. However, some other people have already received interviews that don have the standard 3 science letters. I also sadly do not have any research.

I had 2.5 ish science professors in my letter (Gen Chem, Micro, Environmental genetics). Your DAT is a little low but your GPA is great, just have to wait and see what the admission committee decides. They interview well into the new year so I wouldn't stress about it yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I'm wondering if you ever got accepted to other schools when you applied. Was there any factor that made you choose Columbia over other(s) back then? Did you ever have to choose between Columbia and NYU and if yes what was your comparison and analysis between these two schools?

I got accepted to 12 schools. I did get into NYU, to be honest with you I wasn't a fan of NYU. Classes are way too big, the part of the city it's in is nice but very expensive, and it's one of the most expensive schools in the country.

I picked Columbia for several reasons. People are awesome, new facilities, Pass/Fail grades, strong alumni network, student focused curriculum (when compared to other dental schools).

how did you study? are there certain things your classmates who wanted to specialize did (i.e. volunteering, research, etc.)?

I applied to Columbia, but just saw on the website that they require 3 recommendation letters from SCIENCE professors. In my AADSAS app, I have 4 letters but only 2 are from science professors (because some schools require 2 from science prof, 1 from non-science prof, and 1 from a dentist). Have I just wasted my application fee of $108?

What were your stats when applying to dental school, including EC's research etc.

Do you think research is important for a student applying to Columbia?

Why do Columbia students specialize at such a high rate? Is it the prestige of the school, or opportunities gained within the school, or just that Columbia students on average have higher stats/are more academically inclined?

What are your plans post graduation? How much debt are you in?

I applied to Columbia, but just saw on the website that they require 3 recommendation letters from SCIENCE professors. In my AADSAS app, I have 4 letters but only 2 are from science professors (because some schools require 2 from science prof, 1 from non-science prof, and 1 from a dentist). Have I just wasted my application fee of $108?

literally the same boat im in.

how did you study? are there certain things your classmates who wanted to specialize did (i.e. volunteering, research, etc.)?

Do you mean before dental school or during?

During didactics in dental school, I liked Boards and Beyond for the medical school classes. Also like the material in our google drive/the med school google drive. The upperclassmen provide you with plenty of study material.

Honestly, not sure. I would call the admissions office. Worse come to worse I would ask if you can mail a third letter from a science professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your stats when applying to dental school, including EC's research etc.

Do you think research is important for a student applying to Columbia?

Why do Columbia students specialize at such a high rate? Is it the prestige of the school, or opportunities gained within the school, or just that Columbia students on average have higher stats/are more academically inclined?

GPA: 3.6-3.7 something like that

DAT: 22AA 23TS (Highest was 25 Orgo)

In terms of EC's I had a good amount (personal work, leadership in undergrad clubs, volunteering, one semester of research etc.)

I do think research helps although we have people who have never done research before in the class. Just depends on your entire application.

This is a hot bed question on this board, so all I will say is the numbers don't lie. Last few years the amount of the class who becomes Oral Surgeons has hovered right around 25%. Lots of Ortho, Peds, and Endo as well. I'll never say you can't specialize if you don't go to Columbia, but it certainly does help.

Reactions: 1 users
What are your plans post graduation? How much debt are you in?

GPR --> one year associate --> start a practice.

I'm a business oriented person so I have a more aggressive expansion plan than your average dental student. As for the loans, around 250k when it's all said and done.

Do you mean before dental school or during?

During didactics in dental school, I liked Boards and Beyond for the medical school classes. Also like the material in our google drive/the med school google drive. The upperclassmen provide you with plenty of study material.
I meant during dental school. It is awesome that the upperclassmen help you out!

GPR --> one year associate --> start a practice.

I'm a business oriented person so I have a more aggressive expansion plan than your average dental student. As for the loans, around 250k when it's all said and done.

What measures did you take to keep your costs low? Did your family help with tuition or rent?

Did you go intending to become a GP?

I have a separate scholarship that helped reduced cost.

I do intent on becoming a GP/going into practice ownership.
I think he meant did you go into Columbia intent on becoming a GP or did you go in as a D1 aiming for specializing but changed your mind?

Also do you think Columbia has made any difference towards your future as a GP, than if you went to a state school?

I think he meant did you go into Columbia intent on becoming a GP or did you go in as a D1 aiming for specializing but changed your mind?

Also do you think Columbia has made any difference towards your future as a GP, than if you went to a state school?

I was leaning heavily GP when I decided to go to Columbia. I would say in my class the people who wanted to specialize have largely stuck with it.

As for your second question, I would say yes. Depends on your state school though. In my personal case, I had 0 interest in going to my state school. For others with a more well regarded state school, this may be a different case.

Just curious, what state are you from? If you're willing to share! Would you also share what scholarships you have?

Hey, how is the class/exam scheduling at Columbia? I have heard that class hours are shorter than the average dental school, is this true?

Hey, how is the class/exam scheduling at Columbia? I have heard that class hours are shorter than the average dental school, is this true?

Hmmm well during med school lectures aren't mandatory (I never went) and are recorded, so yes in that sense it's shorter.

Exam's 1st semester are on block schedule. After that they are scattered, mostly take home on examplify.

Also, currently waiting to hear from CDM (Interviewed in September) and currently waitlisted. Do you feel like it is uncommon to be accepted late in the cycle from your personal experience with friends and such? Thanks again!

Also, currently waiting to hear from CDM (Interviewed in September) and currently waitlisted. Do you feel like it is uncommon to be accepted late in the cycle from your personal experience with friends and such? Thanks again!

No I know folks in my class who got accepted the summer before class started, so all hope is not lost!

What seems to be the general consensus on USMLE Step 1 going P/F and its implication on the CBSE for those aiming for OS?

What is your cost of living/ rent? Do people usually live in on campus housing or off campus? Since it’s still NY, is having a roommate to help pay rent a must because the cost is too high or can you manage to live alone?

What seems to be the general consensus on USMLE Step 1 going P/F and its implication on the CBSE for those aiming for OS?

He’s not doing OS so doubt he’s got an answer for that lol.

how does the school deal with students that fail 1 or more courses during the year? Nyu's policy requires that students that fail even 1 course to repeat the entire year.

Last edited: