Air Force 4 Year Not Available This Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knewstance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After going through about 4 USAF different recruiters, I was finally able to get ahold of one that deals with HPSP. I spoke with him for a few minutes and he explained that their board only meets in November to consider applicants and offers are only made to those who have already been accepted into dental school. I asked directly and he said that the USAF is only offering 3 year scholarships this year.

I have seen someone else with a similar experience, but I was unable to find the thread.

Is this true? What have been your experiences?

Do I just need to speak with a different recruiter?

Members don't see this ad.

Always speak to multiple recruiters.

I'm confused, are you saying you were told that even after acceptances offers are made, there are no 4 year scholarships? I've never heard of that. Not saying it's wrong or untrue - just that I've never heard of it.

Only the Navy will take applicants before acceptance offers to dental schools.

I'm confused, are you saying you were told that even after acceptances offers are made, there are no 4 year scholarships? I've never heard of that. Not saying it's wrong or untrue - just that I've never heard of it.

Only the Navy will take applicants before acceptance offers to dental schools.
I directly asked if any 4 year scholarships were being offered and he said no, only 3 year at this point.

Does that mean I need to wait until after Dec 1st before I apply for HPSP, unless I choose to apply for the Navy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I directly asked if any 4 year scholarships were being offered and he said no, only 3 year at this point.

Does that mean I need to wait until after Dec 1st before I apply for HPSP, unless I choose to apply for the Navy?
I think the key term is "at this point."
Remember, everything is a year behind. Right now they are looking at c/o 2022. If you're in that group, look for more recruiters.

You ALWAYS apply before Dec 1st. The packet is not easy to complete, and takes a while. You should have it complete before then. Dec 1st should have the very last part of the packet: your offer of admission. From there, you want to be part of the first wave of selection boards with the most quotas.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard the AF has limited 4 year scholarships. I've also heard they require you to apply to an AEGD/GPR and if accepted you must take it. If so in a roundabout way, you still have the same 4 year payback, but they only have to pay for 3 years of school.

Big Hoss

You ALWAYS apply before Dec 1st. The packet is not easy to complete, and takes a while. You should have it complete before then. Dec 1st should have the very last part of the packet: your offer of admission. From there, you want to be part of the first wave of selection boards with the most quotas.

Correct on applying before Dec 1.

OP, I am a 4-year AF HPSP student and my timeline is below:

Feb. 2016- Started HPSP App.
July 2016- HPSP app forwarded to Board (MEPS, interview, etc. took time).
Aug 2016- Board Met (only one board meets per year for Air Force)
Sep 2016- Board results released
Aug 2017- I started school.

I've heard the AF has limited 4 year scholarships. I've also heard they require you to apply to an AEGD/GPR and if accepted you must take it. If so in a roundabout way, you still have the same 4 year payback, but they only have to pay for 3 years of school.

Big Hoss

This.

They awarded 12 4-year scholarships for this year's entering class (dental class of 2021).

Yes, they require application to an AEGD, and then acceptance if you are selected. From what I've heard (talking with several AF dentists), the AEGDs are some of the best in the country and it really takes you to the next level. Personally, I'd love the opportunity to do one, but Hoss is right that it is basically required if they select you.

To OP and anyone else reading this, free to post here or PM me if you've got any application specific questions. Classes have me super busy right now (not drinking from a fire hydrant yet, but getting there), and I will try to respond whenever I get some free time.

Last edited:
Correct on applying before Dec 1.

OP, I am a 4-year AF HPSP student and my timeline is below:

Feb. 2016- Started HPSP App.
July 2016- HPSP app forwarded to Board (MEPS, interview, etc. took time).
Aug 2016- Board Met (only one board meets per year for Air Force)
Sep 2016- Board results released
Aug 2017- I started school.

This.

They awarded 12 4-year scholarships for this year's entering class (dental class of 2021).

Yes, they require application to an AEGD, and then acceptance if you are selected. From what I've heard (talking with several AF dentists), the AEGDs are some of the best in the country and it really takes you to the next level.

Clarification on the payback: AEGD is a neutral year, does not incur or pay towards an obligation. Active Duty time will remain at 4 yrs, yes, but that will be a 1 yr AEGD + 3 yr payback.

Source: AF HPSP Student. To you and anyone else reading this, free to PM me if you've got any application specific questions. School is super busy right now, but I will try to respond whenever I get some free time
One must be a hotshot to land a 4 year AF HPSP scholarship. ;)

Big Hoss

One must be a hotshot to land a 4 year AF HPSP scholarship. ;)

Big Hoss

Haha, thanks Hoss :) But look who is talking. If I'm a tiny star or a hotshot, then you're the entire Sun! Both you and @schmoob . Both of you are extremely inspirational role models for everyone on this subforum.

One thing I have found recently is that all branches are superrrrrrr competitive. I still remember my application cycle - the Army had so many apps they STOPPED taking them altogether around December!

Reactions: 2 users
When I applied for scholarships in Summer 2015 for accession in 2016, the AF didn't have a single 4-year available.

When I applied for scholarships in Summer 2015 for accession in 2016, the AF didn't have a single 4-year available.

This has to have been a timing issue or recruiter miscommunication - from my district, there were two 4-year HPSP selects and two 3-year HPSP selects the year before me.

I am applying for this upcoming Dec. board and my recruiter said there were a confirmed 10 4-year scholarships for the AF.

Thank you for the replies. It seems like there really is a 4-year scholarship available this year.

I've looked for another recruiter. This one that I spoke with seems to be the only one in the state. Any suggestions how to proceed? I'd consider a 3-year, but I would much prefer a 4-year option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to the Army and Navy as well then.

Big Hoss

I agree with this. That is why I am applying to Army as well. From my own research about these scholarships is that even if you have competitive numbers, it does not guarantee anything, especially with the Air Force. I say apply, but I personally would not expect to receive the 4 year and would advise you start planning on what your next step would be. Whether that be applying to Army and or Navy, or waiting for the 3 year, etc.

Last I heard, the Navy is around a 50% acceptance rate, just to give you some perspective.

Big Hoss
I appreciate that. I'm undecided if I/my family would be happy in another branch. Still something that we are considering.

I appreciate that. I'm undecided if I/my family would be happy in another branch. Still something that we are considering.
If you're worried about being deployed/stationed in a remote location, honestly my advice would be not to join any serivce branch. The needs of the military will come first. The AF has more than its fair share of bases that are way out there, i.e. Eielson Air Force Base in Fairbanks, Alaska. At least there you'd have awesome fly fishing! I should also add that as a junior dental officer, you're on the short list to fill these spots. You'll have to "earn" the cushy duty stations.

Big Hoss

If you're worried about being deployed/stationed in a remote location, honestly my advice would be not to join any serivce branch. The needs of the military will come first. The AF has more than its fair share of bases that are way out there, i.e. Eielson Air Force Base in Fairbanks, Alaska. At least there you'd have awesome fly fishing! I should also add that as a junior dental officer, you're on the short list to fill these spots. You'll have to "earn" the cushy duty stations.

Big Hoss
The deployment is the part that is still up in the air. I have no issues with remote locations.

The deployment is the part that is still up in the air. I have no issues with remote locations.
Trust me, some of these remote locations can feel like a mini-deployment. And just because you're in the "Chair" Force, don't for a minute think you can't or won't be deployed. Long story short, serving in the military will require sacrifices, your own life if necessary. Regardless of where you're stationed or the branch you're in, you will be asked to do things that are unpleasant or untimely, but you have no choice but to say, "Yes, sir." or "Yes, ma'am." This life is not for everyone.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Lets all be honest here. A VERY small percentage of people 'hope' to be deployed. Most would go willingly if called without too much wining. But almost all of us would be happy to call it a career without ever having to go downrange. No one REALLY wants to go get shot at if given the choice. All of the black and white statements "Don't join the military if you don't want to deploy" are a little bit overstated in my opinion.

To the OP, if you want to join the military and are fine with a possible deployment, then go for it. If you want to minimize the possibility of deploying, the go for the AF. Army deploys more. There's always the chance of an assignment to a ship in the Navy. The truth of the mater is that there are less than a dozen slots for deployed AF dentists at any given time and a portion of those go to volunteers.

No one here is saying not to join if you don't WANT to be deployed, but rather if you're not PREPARED to deploy. Deployments are down for everyone across the board, but tomorrow is another day and who knows what kind of third-world crazy is going to pop off.

Big Hoss

HPSP is likely not the best option if you are not prepared to deploy.

Trust me, some of these remote locations can feel like a mini-deployment. And just because you're in the "Chair" Force, don't for a minute think you can't or won't be deployed. Long story short, serving in the military will require sacrifices, your own life if necessary. Regardless of where you're stationed or the branch you're in, you will be asked to do things that are unpleasant or untimely, but you have no choice but to say, "Yes, sir." or "Yes, ma'am." This life is not for everyone.

Big Hoss

Not saying that I'm not prepared to be deployed, but more that I am not yet decided how willing I would really be if/when I were called upon. Its a decision that hasn't been made yet.

Edit: I'd rather have the option of HPSP and turn it down rather than want the opportunity and not have a chance.

Is the Air Force application open yet? Or where can I find it? I am currently applying for dental school for a spot in the class of 2022.

Talked with the same recruiter again, he won't work with me at all until I have received an acceptance letter.

Do I just need to find someone else? Will a recruiter in a different state even work with me?

Talked with the same recruiter again, he won't work with me at all until I have received an acceptance letter.

Do I just need to find someone else? Will a recruiter in a different state even work with me?
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? The reason I ask is because if this recruiter first says there are no 4 year scholarships then says they won't work with you until you receive an acceptance, its a red flag. It takes a while to put the packet together. You want to be working on the packet now, and have it complete before an admission offer. That way once the offer comes in, the packet is ready to go to the selection board. Starting the packet after an offer of admission is too late.
Based on what you are saying it sounds like this recruiter is giving you the runaround because they may not feel you are competitive enough, so they don't want to do the work.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? The reason I ask is because if this recruiter first says there are no 4 year scholarships then says they won't work with you until you receive an acceptance, its a red flag. It takes a while to put the packet together. You want to be working on the packet now, and have it complete before an admission offer. That way once the offer comes in, the packet is ready to go to the selection board. Starting the packet after an offer of admission is too late.
Based on what you are saying it sounds like this recruiter is giving you the runaround because they may not feel you are competitive enough, so they don't want to do the work.
While that is a good thought, I haven't shared my stats with this recruiter at all. All he knows is my name.

My stats, for reference:
AA/TS/PAT - 23/24/22
oGPA 3.53
sGPA 3.49

While that is a good thought, I haven't shared my stats with this recruiter at all. All he knows is my name.

My stats, for reference:
AA/TS/PAT - 23/24/22
oGPA 3.53
sGPA 3.49
Ok, that makes sense.
Great stats! With your numbers you should be able to apply Navy without an acceptance letter.

Not saying that I'm not prepared to be deployed, but more that I am not yet decided how willing I would really be if/when I were called upon. Its a decision that hasn't been made yet.

Edit: I'd rather have the option of HPSP and turn it down rather than want the opportunity and not have a chance.

You act like you'd have a choice. If you join, expect to be deployed.

Ok, that makes sense.
Great stats! With your numbers you should be able to apply Navy without an acceptance letter.

Agreed. When I applied, I was able to send in my Navy app without an acceptance if I had a 22AA. This was the early board.

You act like you'd have a choice. If you join, expect to be deployed.
Not sure how you think I act like I have a choice. You may have misread my tone. My choice would be to join or not join. That is what I was referring to. I'm well aware that in any military branch, assignments are given and not chosen.

Regarding the Topic:
My motivation and interest in the Air Force are mostly influenced by family heritage. Due to the experience that I am having with this recruiter, I will need to more seriously consider the Navy and Army.

Army healthcare recruiter here. Let me know if you need any assistance, would be glad to get you to a great recruiter who will take care of you.

I'm applying Navy, but I had the exact same issue with the Air Firce when I inquired about a 4 year HPSP scholarship some time ago. The recruiter told me I would only be eligible for a 3-year scholarship.

I'm applying Navy, but I had the exact same issue with the Air Firce when I inquired about a 4 year HPSP scholarship some time ago. The recruiter told me I would only be eligible for a 3-year scholarship.
I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one!