Changing MOS before end of 4-year commitment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arcticsquid

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to change your MOS from dentistry to a different job before and/or after your 4-year commitment is over? Realizing I may not be as passionate about dentistry as I thought I was before starting school (current D2) and would like to possibly do a different job in the Army. I have always wanted to pursue something like aviation or special forces in the military, but pursued dentistry because it felt like the more "responsible" choice. Now I am not sure it is worth doing something that I hate just for whatever sense of security I get from this career path.

I doubt there is a possible way to switch before the end of the commitment as the Army is paying for me to become a dentist so they want a dentist. But I also wonder what it looks like for after the 4-year commitment. Can I easily switch to a different MOS in the Army? Or possibly do an inter-service transfer to a different branch in order to do a different job?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
it’s not possible unless you are getting kicked out of your dental school. I advise you to stick with it and graduate. You can always lean more towards doing non-dental things in the military as a dentist

it’s not possible unless you are getting kicked out of your dental school. I advise you to stick with it and graduate. You can always lean more towards doing non-dental things in the military as a dentist
Sorry, to clarify I plan to finish dental school. I made a commitment and plan to see it through. I am wondering if I can switch out of AMEDD during my ADSO? Do you know what the details would look like to transfer to a different job after I completed my ADSO in the military?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol yea I suppose you can switch to a different MOS after ADSO completion. I think it's called Voluntary Transfer Incentive Program (VTIP) in the Army and depends on what MOS slots are available. I don't think I've heard any dental officer switch to a different MOS...

If you really hate dentistry but don't mind the admin, you can pursue the admin route, such as becoming a executive officer, commander, etc. There are so many dental admin jobs available in the Army since very few dentists want to take on that roll. These dentists have not seen patients for 10+ years, may be other than routine exams to "fulfill" their annual clinical hours to receive dental specialty pay." All they do is paper pushing and meetings all day, and yet get paid 200k+ a year due to their specialty pay + rank pay (Once you hit O-5/O-6).

Reactions: 1 user
Lol yea I suppose you can switch to a different MOS after ADSO completion. I think it's called Voluntary Transfer Incentive Program (VTIP) in the Army and depends on what MOS slots are available. I don't think I've heard any dental officer switch to a different MOS...

If you really hate dentistry but don't mind the admin, you can pursue the admin route, such as becoming an executive officer, commander, etc. There are so many dental admin jobs available in the Army since very few dentists want to take on that roll. These dentists have not seen patients for 10+ years, may be other than routine exams to "fulfill" their annual clinical hours to receive dental specialty pay." All they do is paper pushing and meetings all day, and yet get paid 200k+ a year due to their specialty pay + rank pay (Once you hit O-5/O-6).
That’s such a high pay for no production

If you really hate dentistry but don't mind the admin, you can pursue the admin route, such as becoming a executive officer, commander, etc. There are so many dental admin jobs available in the Army since very few dentists want to take on that roll. These dentists have not seen patients for 10+ years, may be other than routine exams to "fulfill" their annual clinical hours to receive dental specialty pay." All they do is paper pushing and meetings all day, and yet get paid 200k+ a year due to their specialty pay + rank pay (Once you hit O-5/O-6).
I am thinking more along the lines of switching my MOS to pursue something like aviation or special forces. I want to get more exciting than dentistry, not do something more boring like a paper pusher lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I am thinking more along the lines of switching my MOS to pursue something like aviation or special forces. I want to get more exciting than dentistry, not do something more boring like a paper pusher lol

Look into Civil Affairs.

I would really sit and think about what you want. Going from dentist to wanting to be an operator and probably be in Ukraine doing secret ops is pretty extreme lol why

Going from dentist to wanting to be an operator and probably be in Ukraine doing secret ops is pretty extreme
FA3B4958-9913-4038-9901-9388FAC59806.jpeg

Big Hoss

This is probably what you’ll hear from the Army when you tell them you don’t want to be a dentist anymore…

FEF5BE2D-F864-4229-8977-51B03516AE1C.gif

Big Hoss

I would really sit and think about what you want. Going from dentist to wanting to be an operator and probably be in Ukraine doing secret ops is pretty extreme lol why

I agree. I know what I want to do. It’s a different job.

But I already started down this path and made a commitment to the Army. Plus even if the Army said I don’t have to serve anymore and I can drop out of school, I’m not going to take on the $200k of debt in order to do a different job.

I agree. I know what I want to do. It’s a different job.

But I already started down this path and made a commitment to the Army. Plus even if the Army said I don’t have to serve anymore and I can drop out of school, I’m not going to take on the $200k of debt in order to do a different job.
Sounds like you need to get a fulfilling hobby. Regardless of what you do professionally, almost certainly you’ll find your job is just a job.

And to want to join the Special Forces because it’s “exciting” really misses the boat. You should join the Special Forces because you want to kill bad men. Are you a natural born killer? And I’m not talking about the sociopathic type. Most people would actually rather risk being killed themself rather than kill someone else.

“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

Are you one of the rough men? Few are. Looking for some insight? Read this…

Amazon product

Big Hoss

PS: And before you go off and commit your life to the military-industrial complex, read this…

Amazon product

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”
Looks can be deceiving. Here’s one of these rough men…

52DFAC9E-C7F8-4E24-A46E-1B0C2D5D125D.jpeg

Sargent Major Mike Vining was one of the first Delta Force operators and he’s still not someone I’d mess with even though he’s like 72 now. That smile just seems to say, “F around, and find out.”

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
[mention]Big Time Hoosier [/mention]
I appreciate all of the advice! Those links aren’t opening for me on my phone but I’ll try to open them on a computer later. It’s definitely a job that I believe needs doing and as terrible as the loss of a human life is, I don’t think I would shy away from doing what needs to be done. Obviously that’s not something I or anyone could know before it happens. I’ve started doing more hobbies like spending more time hiking/camping, hunting, sport shooting and getting into long distance running. Honestly though a lot of these activities make me realize more that I dread the days that I am in clinic all day. I have pretty much made the decision to pursue special forces, but not at the cost of taking on an insane amount of debt without being able to make a decent salary to pay it off. Again, your advice is fantastic and I look forward to checking out those articles.

Also, regarding the idea of special forces vs doing similar activities as a hobby. It really isn’t the same, ya know. As much as I’ve tried, it doesn’t satisfy the desire Just like being a fighter pilot isn’t the same as getting a private pilots license.

I have pretty much made the decision to pursue special forces
And what happens when, statistically speaking, you wash out of the training pipeline? Then what? You will still owe the military time in service. I had 3 “BUDS duds” that were dental assistants in my dental clinic. These are men who joined the Navy to become SEALs, but washed out and the Navy told them they “get” to be dental assistants now. How do you think they felt about their time in the military?

Big Hoss

And what happens when, statistically speaking, you wash out of the training pipeline? Then what? You will still owe the military time in service. I had 3 “BUDS duds” that were dental assistants in my dental clinic. These are men who joined the Navy to become SEALs, but washed out and the Navy told them they “get” to be dental assistants now. How do you think they felt about their time in the military?

Big Hoss

Totally agree with this. I wouldn’t bet on my luck of making it through selection. Which is why I’m not willing to give up my current opportunity and take on debt just to more than likely end up chipping paint for 4 years. But if there is a way to try for selection with my possible backup being a dentist, obviously more ideal. Which is why my original post I was trying to ask if there is a way to get a shot at special forces without dropping out of dental school.

Totally agree with this. I wouldn’t bet on my luck of making it through selection. Which is why I’m not willing to give up my current opportunity and take on debt just to more than likely end up chipping paint for 4 years. But if there is a way to try for selection with my possible backup being a dentist, obviously more ideal. Which is why my original post I was trying to ask if there is a way to get a shot at special forces without dropping out of dental school.

Unfortunately, the Army will have invested a very large sum of money into training you to be a dentist. The Army will fully use you as a dentist. When you finally are on active duty, you’ll quickly find out how little the military cares about what you want to do. You will be a cog in the military-industrial complex, and the MIC will use you as it sees fit.

Honestly, if you’re absolutely dead set on this, the easiest path is probably to finish your payback obligation for dental school, separate from the Army, and then try to come back in with a contract to try for SF. But, by then you’ll probably be so salty you’ll want nothing to do with the Army.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Go do a 2-year and become a Bravo. Then you can join one of the groups. Tenth Group at Carson would be sweet.