4-Years---No Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderNation

Recently Reinstated
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am projecting to apply to dental school very soon. Problem is, I will be 2 or 3 GE classes and 2 major classes short of my BS at the time I wish to enter dental school. If I wait I will complete those classes in the following quarter and sit around for 9 months doing nothing. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You should think about what area of dentistry you want to go into. If you want to get into education or be an associate dentist, then they may make sure you have a bachelor's. If you plan on working for yourself in your own practice, I don't really see the need for it. Why waste a year. That could be one extra year of income and business experience.

Many can probably argue either way, I just think you need to look at where you want to go in dentistry.

N

Its A LOT harder to gain admission into a school without a degree. Unless you have a 4.0 and unbelievable DAT scores, you should finish your degree (regardless of where you want to go into dentistry).

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to tell you that I am in the same boat. I have 120 hours, with no BS. I am about one semester or 1.5 semesters from it. Some of the top schools may hold that against us RaiderNation, but not all will. In the end, we all have the same initials behind our names and most dentists have told me that hardly anyone asks you while in practice where you went to dental school or if you got your BS.

This is straight from Tufts' Website:

"The Admissions Committee also gives preference to applicants who have completed at least a baccalaureate degree program. Over 95% of the class of 2005 has received at least a bachelor?s degree, and the remaining students are enrolled in joint-degree programs that award bachelor?s degrees after successful completion of the first year of dental school."

http://www.tufts.edu/dental/student_admissions/dmd.html

Take it anyway you want. But clearly, finishing your degree will give you a better shot at getting into a dental school.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

I'm not sure where you are applying, but USC matriculants ALL have a degree (100%). At the interview they said everyone MUST have a degree in order to be accepted.

Originally posted by Dentaldream
Its A LOT harder to gain admission into a school without a degree. Unless you have a 4.0 and unbelievable DAT scores, you should finish your degree (regardless of where you want to go into dentistry).

I think this is a bit overzealous. I know a few people who got in after three years of undergrad, and they were hardly anywhere near this standard. It depends on where you apply, and how much other "stuff" you have on your application.

Ok maybe you dont need a 4.0. But you do need a gpa and DAT way above average to get in without a degree. So maybe in the 3.8-4.0 range.

No, not really dentaldream. I know many people who have had the minimum number of hours (90) with a 3.6 and have gotten into many dental schools. Most of them had 21+ DAT scores.

Note that I said "maybe".

I have applied with only 90 credit hours ( I will have 120, but no degree at the time of matriculation). I have a 3.85, 20 DAT. I have interviews at Minnesota and Columbia and I'm still waiting on a few to respond, no rejections yet. I know MANY who have done the same thing I am doing only they have had worse stats. It's a personal option, I think. If you want the piece of paper, by all means, go for it.

Didn't I read that Indiana accepted students with 4years-no degree with a 3.2 or 3.3? I am leaning more towards not paying all the money to apply when I won't have a degree when I matriculate. I'll probably finish up and wait the extra 9 months for the next class.

Look, the majority of incoming dental students have degrees. Dental school is not easy to get into, so if you think you can still get in without a degree, then way to go! But dont be surprised if you dont get in, the statistics just show that this is the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a 4.0 GPA and scored a 25 on the DAT...think I have a chance of getting in w/no degree?

WTF? Trolling? What are you talking about macky? Hey if you don't beleive me, don't.

This may not be the case, but I don't think he was questioning whether or not he could get in. I think it was one of those questions that wasn't really looking for an answer.

WHOA! Down boy! I think it was meant for a little sarcasm and joking around. Man, people can get pretty sensative around here. Is dental school really that stressful??

Yeah, some people need to really chill out around here. Smile once in a while. So...everyone can't have a 4.0 and a 25 like me...but instead of spending your whole lives stressing about whether or not you'll be able to work on teeth for the next 30 years, try sitting back and enjoying life for a few seconds. And please....calm down and keep the dog on a leash, freaking A!!!!

Originally posted by Shomeda$
So...everyone can't have a 4.0 and a 25 like me...

I was impressed with your restraint right up to this point, but not a word beyond. Too bad such uncommon ability is almost invariably associated with uncommon lack of humility.

C'mon aphi! Show me some love. I was just kidding about the whole DAT GPA thing. I just wanna to get some people a little riled and see how sensitive everyone really is in this place. I guess now I know. Mission accomplished.:clap:

What's up with your fascination with trolls? It must be an east coast thing.

And humility is in the eye of the beholder.....or is that beauty???

Originally posted by Shomeda$
C'mon aphi! Show me some love. I was just kidding about the whole DAT GPA thing. I just wanna to get some people a little riled and see how sensitive everyone really is in this place. I guess now I know. Mission accomplished.:clap:

Riled? Hardly. But it sounds like your idea of "sensitivity" is anything less than fuzzy embrace to braggadocio, so sign me up.

Umm, did anyone see the cubs game?

Ha, funny thread you got here kidos.....

I think there is a conspiracy in the netherworld between a Billy Goat and the Bambino. :D

Sorry to ruin your fun, but back to answering the question. Dentaldream doesnt really know what he is talking about, but is just basing his answer on what the stats say. I applied to both Indiana and many other schools and got into them with 116 hours and a 3.6 GPA. I was one of the kids that got into Indiana, but ending up going to Penn instead. Another of my friends is also one of the kids that got into Indiana and is a first year there now, but he had 90 hours and a 3.8, but didnt apply till nov! I dont know about the other 2 kids thye accepted there. It all depends on the school, and you other credentials. Do you have a lot of dental experience? I had shadowed a dentist for around 50 hours and worked at a dental lab once a week for a semester. I say apply and if you dont get in, you might have wasted a few hundred dollars, but it is better than wasting 9 months, and youll have a leg up next year, if you dont get in.

Oh yeah my school only had a combined degree with Indiana Dental School (as I went there for undergrad), but I talked to the dean of arts and sciences and he is letting 2 classes from the Penn school of Dental Med count towards my degree, so it might be something you want to try since you are so close to a degree.

Originally posted by scandalouslj
Sorry to ruin your fun, but back to answering the question. Dentaldream doesnt really know what he is talking about, but is just basing his answer on what the stats say

What else would you want me to base my answer on? Perhaps the alingment of the stars? :rolleyes:

Hmmm....alignment of the stars. Take that with your horoscope and I think you're pretty much set!