$49.00 IHS Pharmacist job. Would you take it or negotiate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm1111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new graduate that has retail experience and some hospital experience. I was offered $49.30 with IHS. Would you take it or negotiate? I was thinking $4 more.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a new graduate that has retail experience and some hospital experience. I was offered $49.30 with the Indian Health Services. Would you take it or negotiate? I was thinking $4 more.
take it and run

Reactions: 9 users
That is better than what the chains offer in most areas now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Give me a break.. no don’t take that

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
What do you want to do with your career?

What do you want to do with your career?

I want to work there. I was told IHS reservations start low but didn't know if it was this low. I want to have a good work life balance and stay away from the BIG retail chains.

No weekends
No evening or nights
No holidays

Give me a break.. no don’t take that
What would you say to them? Even the big chain pharmacist are starting low.

FYI
No weekends
No evenings or nights
No holidays

Are you serious right now? Just be grateful and take that offer. its actually a decent deal. Most staff pharmacists in hospitals in the southeast area are offered around this rate but they are obligated to work holidays/weekends/nights. You get paid holidays too... You're a new grad also, so what position are you in to negotiate more? We're in a saturated market.

You really are not in any position to negotiate with them. Could you imagine a brand new grad with no experience working there trying to convince the employer for more pay in this market? They'll probably have trouble containing their laugh. I promise you they have other applicants lined up

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Are you serious right now? Just be grateful and take that offer. its actually a decent deal. Most staff pharmacists in hospitals in the southeast area are offered around this rate but they are obligated to work holidays/weekends/nights. You get paid holidays too... You're a new grad also, so what position are you in to negotiate more? We're in a saturated market.

You really are not in any position to negotiate with them. Could you imagine a brand new grad with no experience working there trying to convince the employer for more pay in this market? I promise you they have other applicants lined up

I see. New grads should not neglect salary? Negotiations are for those who have pharmacy experience?

Bet they have good bennies too...might pay some tuition..probably able to transfer from time to time...no screwing with insurance.....just be aware that paddy's have been known to get the hairy eyeball on the res.....you might not get paid as much but likely won't go insane....Is it way out in the sticks?

Bet they have good bennies too...might pay some tuition..probably able to transfer from time to time...no screwing with insurance.....just be aware that paddy's have been known to get the hairy eyeball on the res.....you might not get paid as much but likely won't go insane....Is it way out in the sticks?
Yes. Small town nearby. I dont mind though

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. New grads should not neglect salary? Negotiations are for those who have pharmacy experience?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. You have the right to negotiate but you will look like a fool in this saturated market. I can understand if you have credentials and experience that make you worth more but anyone with a Pharm.D. can take your spot... and in this market, there are plenty.
Actually, go ahead and try to negotiate and let us know how it goes. Don't accept anything less than that $4 dollar bump!
Just be prepared for an answer when they ask you "Why do you deserve that?"

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. You have the right to negotiate but you will look like a fool in this saturated market. I can understand if you have credentials and experience that make you worth more but anyone with a Pharm.D. can take your spot... and in this market, there are plenty.
Actually, go ahead and try to negotiate and let us know how it goes. Don't accept anything less than that $4 dollar bump!
Just be prepared for an answer when they ask you "Why do you deserve that?"

Not at all sarcastic. But, I get everything you are saying. I dont want to get too low and I realize down the line that I screwed up.

in your specific situation, I would not bother to negotiate because it is actually a decent offer. Also, from what I remember, IHS has good benefits and they also help pay for your student loans with a contract

Reactions: 2 users
I understand since you are a new grad you don't have any idea of a baseline pay to compare to but like others have been saying, unless you have other offers, you can't gamble with this. Once you start working, you'll realize how lucky you are to even have a job. Start surveying your classmates and see how many of them even found jobs

I understand since you are a new grad you don't have any idea of a baseline pay to compare to but like others have been saying, unless you have other offers, you can't gamble with this. Once you start working, you'll realize how lucky you are to even have a job. Start surveying your classmates and see how many of them even found jobs

It make sense. Glad I asked before I screwed up my only offer.

Thank you so much!

Don't you get an awesome military-like benefits package with IHS? Free health, basic housing allowance, military-style retirement after 20 years? That pay rate is really not bad at all if you factor that stuff in. Plus IHS has infinitely better working conditions than retail (I did a rotation there and wound up in retail, so I would know).

Don't you get an awesome military-like benefits package with IHS? Free health, basic housing allowance, military-style retirement after 20 years? That pay rate is really not bad at all if you factor that stuff in. Plus IHS has infinitely better working conditions than retail (I did a rotation there and wound up in retail, so I would know).

Not as a government service civilian. Sure benefits like health insurance and pension, but no additional allowances. Not unless it’s a Commissioned Corps position (which it’s not - there’s a lot of work involved to get commissioned nowadays, not just a job offer).

They do seem like they will hire me after 90 days. But idk.

I interviewed for a similar position 2 years ago. One of the pharmacist was going on maternity leave so they were hiring for a limited time. IHS was paying for food and apartment in addition to $40 something they offered.

I didn’t get it, had a job offer with WM 3 months later.

I interviewed for a similar position 2 years ago. One of the pharmacist was going on maternity leave so they were hiring for a limited time. IHS was paying for food and apartment in addition to $40 something they offered.

I didn’t get it, had a job offer with WM 3 months later.

Wow. Same situation (pregnancy leave).
They aren't offering food, apartment, INSURANCE, or PTO.

Just retirement plan
No evenings or night
No holidays
No weekends

- So thats why I was going to ask for a little more.
- If they decide to keep me, them it will I get the entire benefits package.

omg no weekends. what a dream. ugh. :/

The pension is the most valuable part.

Just retirement plan
No evenings or night
No holidays
No weekends

Is this through Rph on the Go? No benefits makes the deal less palatable, but the typical offer from rph on the go is $45-$50. You don't have much room to negotiate.

Just retirement plan
No evenings or night
No holidays
No weekends

Take it, it’s going to benefit you. It will be an experience.

damn what is happening to our profession? jeez 49 buck an hour? im making 64 and complain about walgreens not giving raises anymore

• Wow
negotiate? with what leverage? over 4$? its a job, take it and keep looking for something stable.

damn what is happening to our profession? jeez 49 buck an hour? im making 64 and complain about walgreens not giving raises anymore

15k pharmDs per year happened. Be glad you aren't a new grad. Those wages don't exist anymore.

:soexcited:Ok guys. I negotiated and was able to seal the deal today $5 more. THE END

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
How did you negotiate. Was this rph on the go
My tactic has been very simple. After getting the job offer, state that I would love to work here but I was looking for $$/hr, can we meet somewhere in the middle. I've had a 2/3 success rate with that, and the language is mild enough that you aren't likely to offend anyone.

I am a fed employee, working as a IHS pharmacist, I graduated in 2017 with varied experiences. I could NOT get any F/T pharmacist job. I was working as a pharm tech F/T, & as a VERY seldom called, per diem RPh at a place I did an internship. (My supervisor there took pity on me) . I am licensed in 5 states & I was willing to travel up to an hour each way. . RPh to Go won't even hire me. Finally, this year, I relocated thousands of miles away, from everyone I know, to take a $85k/yr RPh F/T job AND I am still VERY thankful to get it, (In addition to all of my qualifications, including personally paying for all my interview travel expenses, a former internship supervisor knew someone there. Also, I am NOT getting any reimbursement for any pharmacy school loans, as my parents did home equity loans, which will take them another 10 years to repay. Thankfully, I am able to send them money monthly now.

I get PTO, health ins. (I pay premiums) & Fed retirement plan. I do NOT get housing, food, etc since I am a fed NOT USPHS. I have a 1-year probationary period. (So I can be fired for any reason or no reason anytime during my first year) Also I had to sign a disclosure that I understand Natives get preference for promotions.

BTW I applied for over 500 jobs, and went to several job fairs since Jan 2017 through Dec 2019. I was Rho Chi, resume writing, mock interviews, excellent references, etc. etc. I not only applied to RPh jobs but ANYTHING I could qualify for and ANYWHERE in the US.

Thanks AACP for accrediting more & more schools. Thanks Board of Pharmacy & APhA for not protecting the pharmacy profession. (You should've taken a lesson from the Nursing profession),

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Hi,

I'm a new graduate that has retail experience and some hospital experience. I was offered $49.30 with IHS. Would you take it or negotiate? I was thinking $4 more.
Take the offer and show your worth it. I hopefully, this job is temporary. I would take it in this saturated market. It beats a high volume retail store paying the same amount

I am a fed employee, working as a IHS pharmacist, I graduated in 2017 with varied experiences. I could NOT get any F/T pharmacist job. I was working as a pharm tech F/T, & as a VERY seldom called, per diem RPh at a place I did an internship. (My supervisor there took pity on me) . I am licensed in 5 states & I was willing to travel up to an hour each way. . RPh to Go won't even hire me. Finally, this year, I relocated thousands of miles away, from everyone I know, to take a $85k/yr RPh F/T job AND I am still VERY thankful to get it, (In addition to all of my qualifications, including personally paying for all my interview travel expenses, a former internship supervisor knew someone there. Also, I am NOT getting any reimbursement for any pharmacy school loans, as my parents did home equity loans, which will take them another 10 years to repay. Thankfully, I am able to send them money monthly now.

I get PTO, health ins. (I pay premiums) & Fed retirement plan. I do NOT get housing, food, etc since I am a fed NOT USPHS. I have a 1-year probationary period. (So I can be fired for any reason or no reason anytime during my first year) Also I had to sign a disclosure that I understand Natives get preference for promotions.

BTW I applied for over 500 jobs, and went to several job fairs since Jan 2017 through Dec 2019. I was Rho Chi, resume writing, mock interviews, excellent references, etc. etc. I not only applied to RPh jobs but ANYTHING I could qualify for and ANYWHERE in the US.

Thanks AACP for accrediting more & more schools. Thanks Board of Pharmacy & APhA for not protecting the pharmacy profession. (You should've taken a lesson from the Nursing profession),
Did you have residency experience before working?

Hi,

You realize that’s an amazing offer right?

I want to work there. I was told IHS reservations start low but didn't know if it was this low. I want to have a good work life balance and stay away from the BIG retail chains.

No weekends
No evening or nights
No holidays

PLUS
-dirt cheap rent
-ihs loan repayment in the form of 36K after taxes if you can stomach living there for 2 years
- govt benefits
- union
- leave and sick leave that accrue separately but are basically interchangeable and no one can challenge you because UNION

Congratulations on getting the job, as well as the raise you negotiated for. I am a P4 student who will be graduating in May of 2020 and am interested in pursuing opportunities with IHS. Do you have any advice on getting hired for a position as a new grad? I have experience working as an intern for a local hospital network in both inpatient as well as outpatient settings. Are certain sites more likely to consider hiring new grads than others?

Thanks

You realize that’s an amazing offer right?

It’s as a contract worker, not civil service. They also have a retention bonus but only for one year. Is that good only if one stays the whole year even with quarterly disbursements? What is standard?

One should always negotiate.
I agree. It doesn’t matter the market. The original poster handled this correctly. Once you have the job offer, you can counter, but know when to fold and accept the offer. Sometimes the answer will be “no”, but at least you asked.

I agree. It doesn’t matter the market. The original poster handled this correctly. Once you have the job offer, you can counter, but know when to fold and accept the offer. Sometimes the answer will be “no”, but at least you asked.

Yep and NOBODY withdraws their offer because you politely asked for a little more x or y

Hi,

I worked for IHS when I graduated = they start me at $55.00

I worked for IHS when I graduated = they start me at $55.00

Do you mind discussing how you managed to get hired by them? Did you do a rotation at an IHS site during pharmacy school?