499 MCAT 4.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wreckem16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the MCAT on May 5th, came out feeling kind of bad but I knew that was normal so I took some time off of studying (I studied for 5 months while also take 14 hours and doing research). Got my score back yesterday and got a 499 (125/123/126/125). I have a 4.0 GPA (total and science), I have published abstract/presentation as first author, have job experience inside and outside medical field, 250 shadowing hours, volunteer clinical and nonclinical experience. My dad is pushing me to retake MCAT in july to apply this cycle but I'm not sure if I'm ready. I am planning to apply to 18 schools, all MD. Do you think I can get in with any of this stuff or do I need to retake MCAT or push back until next cycle???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I cannot recommend applying to MD schools with that MCAT (unless you are a Puerto Rican resident).
I cannot recommend a retake until you are confident of a score consistent with success. A series of weak scores is far more damaging than a single one. The AAMC recommends that we average multiple scores.
Becoming a re-applicant is not recommended.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? Are you URM ?

I am a resident of New Mexico, going to school in Texas. And yes, I am a Mexican-American and my dad is from Mexico, no one in my family has attended grad school, and I'm from an underrepresented medical community as well.

The MSAR states that average MCAT for UNM was 507 with a 3.7 GPA, and their website states that the year before the average GPA was 3.68 and MCAT was 504.

I am willing to go anywhere that will accept me however. I wish I would have added some DO schools but I already had my advisor submit my letter packet, and I didn't plan on applying to DO schools so I didn't write an ID number on the evaluation forms and these cannot be changed now.

I cannot recommend applying to MD schools with that MCAT (unless you are a Puerto Rican resident).
I cannot recommend a retake until you are confident of a score consistent with success. A series of weak scores is far more damaging than a single one. The AAMC recommends that we average multiple scores.
Becoming a re-applicant is not recommended.

Would this still be true for someone who is a resident of New Mexico, going to school in Texas, a Mexican-American and my dad is from Mexico, no one in my family has attended grad school, and I'm from an underrepresented medical community as well.

I am willing to go anywhere that will accept me however. I wish I would have added some DO schools but I already had my advisor submit my letter packet, and I didn't plan on applying to DO schools so I didn't write an ID number on the evaluation forms and these cannot be changed now. I want honest advice, so if your answer remains please tell me how it is, I would rather know now than later.

Thank you so much!

Would this still be true for someone who is a resident of New Mexico, going to school in Texas, a Mexican-American and my dad is from Mexico, no one in my family has attended grad school, and I'm from an underrepresented medical community as well.

I am willing to go anywhere that will accept me however. I wish I would have added some DO schools but I already had my advisor submit my letter packet, and I didn't plan on applying to DO schools so I didn't write an ID number on the evaluation forms and these cannot be changed now. I want honest advice, so if your answer remains please tell me how it is, I would rather know now than later.

Thank you so much!
In that case, I would strongly recommend that you take all the time you need to get an MCAT of 505 or greater and apply once, well.
If you are fluent in Spanish with evidence of a commitment to service, you could be eligible for some very fine schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Your chances are low for MD, but good for some DO schools if you're willing settle and have some DO shadowing experience. Your best bet though with the upcoming merger is to take your time to increase your MCAT (preferably to a 510, but 505+ will be Ok) and apply broadly MD next cycle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Took the MCAT on May 5th, came out feeling kind of bad but I knew that was normal so I took some time off of studying (I studied for 5 months while also take 14 hours and doing research). Got my score back yesterday and got a 499 (125/123/126/125). I have a 4.0 GPA (total and science), I have published abstract/presentation as first author, have job experience inside and outside medical field, 250 shadowing hours, volunteer clinical and nonclinical experience. My dad is pushing me to retake MCAT in july to apply this cycle but I'm not sure if I'm ready. I am planning to apply to 18 schools, all MD. Do you think I can get in with any of this stuff or do I need to retake MCAT or push back until next cycle???
Ahh, parents. Doing their best to destroy your medical career out of love and sheer ignorance.

Look, the MCAT is a career-deciding, high stakes exam, and you've already bombed it once. What does it say about your judgement if you take it when you're not ready????

Your score is lethal for MD, and on life support for DO. You'd be auto-rejected at my school.

I am more optimistic than the other posts. The GPA-MCAT grid for Hispanic applicants shows that you have a greater than 75% chance for a MD acceptance. That group included some Hispanics who are not URM so your odds are slightly higher. U New Mexico has a 10th percentile of 497 for the MCAT so you are above that. Your GPA is also above the 90th percentile. However, as @gyngyn mentioned if you retake the MCAT and score at least 505 you would have many more options including high tier schools and a greater likelihood for scholarships. When you retake the MCAT do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 505.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately very little chance at MD school with that MCAT. I've seen many "sexy" apps like yours be denied because of MCAT. Its the only standardization they have so they weight it heavily :(

Would recommend studying your ass off and taking it by August to apply this cycle.