4th year elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Varmit22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the next few month I will be starting my 4th year anesthesiology electives (2 weeks at home, 4 weeks away, and 4 weeks away ICU). Are there things I should know before I start and are there certain things I should concentrate on while I'm there? Also, is it better to rotate room to room or stay and concentrate on one case from start to finish, or a combination of each? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Varmit22 said:
Are there things I should know before I start and are there certain things I should concentrate on while I'm there?

In reality... I knew nothing before I started, but it made no difference. It's the questions you ask and not the material you already know that makes you shine. Ask lots of questions that are informed by previous reading about the case.

Unless it's suggested, don't leave when the attending comes into the room to give breaks/lunch to the resident or CRNA. Stay around and ask some questions about the case. Take your break/lunch after the resident/CRNA returns.

Take breaks or go to the bathroom freely whenever you want. You're not scrubbed in, retracting, or doing anything necessary.

Carry a handbook or articles to read during down time when you have nothing to do. I started out with the NMS handbook (by Randall Glidden, tiny and inexpensive, and easy to read to get an overview), read some of Baby Miller and also used the Clinical Anesthesia Procedures of the Mass. General handbook to read about specific surgical cases. (That last was very helpful when I wanted to look up considerations for specific types of cases.) Don't spend money on all those books -- the $20 I forked out for NMS for the month was more than enough introduction, although by the second rotation I was happy to read more in other books. The away rotation usually has a book for you to borrow (typically Baby Miller).

Get your hands on as many small tasks (drawing up drugs, charting, monitoring urine output / blood loss / etc) as you can. Keeps you from getting bored.

Also, is it better to rotate room to room or stay and concentrate on one case from start to finish, or a combination of each?

For cases <2hrs, I'd stay for the entire thing. That tells people you're more than just casually interested in starting lines and doing airways.

If the case is 10 hours, if someone suggests you should find another room to keep from getting bored (watching anesthesia, unlike doing anesthesia, is boring), take that suggestion and wander.

Quick and dirt:

1. If you have the time - chapters 1-8 of Baby Miller will give you a great foundation for "the basics". Granted you could start with no background and probably do fine, this would make a big difference. For one, these are probably the source of any questions they may ask you. Secondly, and probably more importantly, these chapters give you 95% of the bread and butter basics of what you would need to know during lap chole, gyn room, etc. It will help you much better understand what they are giving and why.

It's similar to watching a code. If you are a second year student watching a code before any exposure to ACLS, it will feel random, and chaotic, and you will wonder how you will ever be able to think through all the variables. However, after ACLS, and understanding the protocol, it may still seem chaotic and frightening at first, but you can begin to see how the decisions are based. After a few intern participated in codes, you are ready to run the system on your own. If you know the basics of anesthesia drugs, you will understand what they are doing to start the easy cases and you can begin to think beyond what they are doing for other ways to start the case.

2. Stay in the room. Intubation jockeying is for ER residents. They have no reason to learn anesthesia, but to get procedures. As a rotating student however, you should get a feel for the entire case. Some residents don't care, but many are offended by students who "grab an intubation and run."

Of note on this subject, have some common sense in whose room you stay in. Feel out the resident before you camp out in his/her room all day. From experience, my second day in the OR as an intern (by myself I might add which was a huge source of stress) I had a student who parked herself in my room. She wanted to do the intubation,wanted to chat me up, wanted to chat my attending up when he would come in the room (I needed his undivided attention when he came so I could ask all the questions that had been puckering me up for the last 30 minutes) even after I tried telling her that my room was not the best one for her to be in since I was just starting and needed to concentrate with undivided attention. If rotating in July, you might have a better experience in the CA-2 and CA-3 rooms rather than the CA-1. For one, they are going to be much more likely to share procedures (what are they going to do say 'Well I've got 6 tubes under my belt, I think I have a pretty good handle on it, why don't you try.'), and much more confortable and willing to chat. AFter a month or two this will not be such a big deal however.

Also, some residents are by nature more willing to teach and talk and enjoy company. People can talk about "this new generation" all they want, but the bottom line is the field will still attract people who may be introverts and do not want to socialize during their case. Keep you eyes open for someone willing to help, and who may have the influence or desire to help. For example, when UT was still a resident, the best move a rotator could have made was to follow him throughout the day. Awesome guy, great teacher, and the icing was that he had the juice (and the desire) to vouch for a candidate.

Seems like common sense, but I have noticed that common sense does not always come in abundance.

3. Just like you should stay in a room with resident on most days, some days (using the same criteria as outlined in 2) you should find a motivated connected attending and ask if you could work with them for the day. You may be going from room to room, getting procedures, getting pimped, getting taught, and making an impression on someone who could either write a good letter, or even better be an advocate for you when match comes.

4. I'm tired of hearing myself talk here, but be enthusiastic. If you can rudimentarily know 1-8 of baby miller, then you should feel confident to mix it up. Ask questions, show interest, work hard, look for ways to help. It cracks me up when some students act like little princes and that any amount of scut work 'is not part of their learning experience' and therefore below them. Once you have been in the OR for a couple of days and feel comfortable with the system, jump in and help your resident. Label syringes, put leads on, help move the patient, draw drugs (only if the resident tells you to and you ask), help chart.

Again, common sense caveat that sometimes is lacking. Medicine is the military. Don't forget where you are on the food chain. There is a fine line between being a go getter, and being a presumptuous turd. Don't, unless your resident encourages you to, try running the OR. don't say "on my count', or draw up drugs before asking, or chime in while interviewing patient in pre-op, etc. Just being humble and hard working. It is amazing how much clout this brings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, it will be really helpful and ease some of my stress when rotating.

current clinical strat: anesthesiology. Carry it in the OR.

Agree with first 8 chaps in baby miller. Secrets is also a good beginners book which I promise you will read and appreciate more later on.

Marino's THE ICU BOOK is the bomb. Start cranking through the chapters that interest you. Read about vents, abgs, and drips. Download the "surviving sepsis campaign." Read it. takes 30 min.

I agree with all of the above.

One tip that I used to impress my attendings...read one chapter of baby Miller each night and then the next day discuss what you read and ask related questions. This way you seem motivated and smart, but more importantly you create a framework for your attending to use to pimp you in.

This way your attending will ask you questions about the topic you just read and know well, and you will seem so much smarter. You don't have to tell them you just read that chapter the night before. Just start an "impromptu" discussion.

VentdependenT said:
current clinical strat: anesthesiology. Carry it in the OR.

Agree with first 8 chaps in baby miller. Secrets is also a good beginners book which I promise you will read and appreciate more later on.

Marino's THE ICU BOOK is the bomb. Start cranking through the chapters that interest you. Read about vents, abgs, and drips. Download the "surviving sepsis campaign." Read it. takes 30 min.

Another thing, if you really want your resident to love you, then help put the monitors on the pt. Go see the next pt in the holding area and start the IV. Discuss the setup for the next case and the anesthetic plan. Then when the attending asks what you would do, you'll have even more shine that telle savalas' head.

Any other tips? I am trying to make a good impression,but am not sure if I am actually doing so. I preop the patient, hang out for the whole case, ask a few questions here and there, help out with setup and leads, etc. I try to act enthusiastic as well. I generally feel out the attending and or resident on my first question, to see if they are receptive before I ask more, I dont want to annoy anybody. Just cant seem to read anybody, to see what their thoughts of me are. Frustrating. I guess I dont know how to evaluate my performance without physically asking.