50 year old -- is there a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Traderjane

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK everyone. Please don't laugh at me. I'm 50 and have wanted medicine all my life, but life got in the way. I have had a good career in another field and I've raised three children. My husband passed away a few years ago. I'm ready to do something for myself. I have the financial ability to go through the whole process with no debt. My dream is to specialize in internal medicine or family practice and work as a primary care physician in a place that really needs me. I would first have to take all the prerequisites so that will add another two years. The other wrinkle is that I am currently raising my 6 year old nephew.

From what I have read, no US school will take me, but Caribbean schools might be an option. Is this a viable path? If I do well there, do I have a shot at a US residency in either of the fields I want? Also, would it be possible to do this with a child in tow?

Thanks in advance.

Jane

Members don't see this ad.

Doing it as an older student wth a much younger child will be very very hard unless you are wealthy enough to hire some consistent help.

It's also not a given that US schools won't take you

It is a given that carrib schools leave you with somewhere near 60percent or less chance of getting a residency. Unless you are a millionaire who literally is just bored, I wouldn't go at all to the carrib. Go US or be something else

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OK everyone. Please don't laugh at me. I'm 50 and have wanted medicine all my life, but life got in the way. I have had a good career in another field and I've raised three children. My husband passed away a few years ago. I'm ready to do something for myself. I have the financial ability to go through the whole process with no debt. My dream is to specialize in internal medicine or family practice and work as a primary care physician in a place that really needs me. I would first have to take all the prerequisites so that will add another two years. The other wrinkle is that I am currently raising my 6 year old nephew.

From what I have read, no US school will take me, but Caribbean schools might be an option. Is this a viable path? If I do well there, do I have a shot at a US residency in either of the fields I want? Also, would it be possible to do this with a child in tow?

Thanks in advance.

Jane
Medical school is not the Make-A-Wish foundation. Please avoid enabling the Carib predators.

Reactions: 1 users
Please avoid enabling the Carib predators.

Alas, the Carib schools unfortunately have plenty of easy targets to choose from, simply judging by the people that post in this forum (I'm not referring to the OP).

Traderjane, at least it seems you've done some research and you're old enough to know what you're doing. As an "old" career-changer myself, be aware that this is a very difficult thing to do, particularly with a young child. You do have the advantage of being financially comfortable, which helps.

My advice would be to shadow physicians if you can, to get a good idea of the day-to-day of outpatient medicine.

Consider the Caribbean only as a last resort, particularly with a "child in tow". DO schools are very open to non-traditional students as we add very unique perspectives to a medical school class. However, you will be graduating in your mid to late 50s - realize that it will be difficult to obtain a residency spot at that age. The reasons for this have been discussed before so I won't rehash them.

Good luck, be realistic, and search the nontraditional forum for more information.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks in advance.

Jane

So here are the numbers.

2-3 years of premed. Must get high scores. Then study for several months for the MCAT. Must get good score. Now you apply and if you timed it right and get it you are in at about the 3 to 4 year mark. So now you are 54 or 55. Start med school. 4 years for US school. Then 3 years of residency. So now we are at 61 or 62.

So the question you want to ask yourself are the following:

1. At an age when most retire or are close to it are you willing to start practicing?
2. How many years of medical practice are you going to be able to do?
3. At 59 years old will you be able to handle the call schedule of residency?

As far as getting into a medical program in the US, it's possible but you have no idea if you can even do well in the premed classes or the MCAT.

Have you taken a chemistry or physics class, Ever?

The next few months to 3 years will be a question mark. Since you say you have the money, you can certainly try. If you get high scores in those classes and you are comfortable with a long education process and possibly a short career I guess you can try.

Carib schools are harder in someways once you are in. You have to study very hard because you are starting at a disadvantage.

So you want to practice Family Medicine. Another option is a PA program. You will still practice Family Medicine under supervision. It won't take as long. You will have more time to spend with your six year old nephew.

But if your heart is set on MD then good luck. It's going to be rough road. Prepare yourself and get on with it. It doesn't matter what anyone in here thinks.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I wanted to be a rich and famous rock star. That didn't pan out. Now that I'm almost 50 myself, it would seem a bit ridiculous to give up my current life to once again pursue that dream.

In the meantime, read this...

Hygienist considering admission into Caribbean med school (SGU, AUC, Ross, Saba)

-Skip
Skip. You can always sing, maybe pay to record your own album to see if you get any producer eye. That does not cost too much time. But I agree med school you have to pour your heart and soul into it

I felt the same way and did it at 44. If you're willing to make a huge change in your life and put in the work (I celebrated my 50th birthday toting an Intern through his first overnight call), I would go ahead and do it. Try US schools first. If you just can't get in, one of the better Caribbean schools is an option. Do your homework.

Best Wishes,
PractcingGuy

There's some older students here at SGU, must be in their 40s-50s, but very few. There's one that even lives in the dorm here. It will be a huge lifestyle change and will require an immense emotional and physical amount of energy. If you're bringing a child here (not sure how old), it is do-able. There's plenty of student families here and significant others, but it's a challenge. If you're up for it, do it! I love it here at SGU. It isn't as cut throat as people make it seem here. There's endless resources with tutoring, small group sessions, open labs, professor office hours and different types of course delivery methods... everyone is here to help and the staff/professors are generally awesome (aside from some of the anatomy department, but that's another story). I was actually quite impressed with how many resources and help is available here (academically and non-academically). It's a great community.

If you do go Carribean Ross is the best if you have children. I have six kids (yes, really) and have several friends from the island with children. For all of us, the day school was the deciding factor. The tuition is very low ($400 US /semester/child ) Your nephew will be on campus with you. You will be able to have lunch with him everyday. It is actually rare to have a scheduling conflict. When it does happen the school will switch your schedule to accommodate. In my semester we had 4 moms that came with their kids and no partner. All four of us finished. (Most had partners back in the states.)

I am now an MS4 trying to match. US schools are still best, but if I do match I will be glad I chose to go to Ross. I am very glad that my kids spent almost 2 years away from the US. Trying to match after going Carribean is definitely difficult. However, the school experience itself may be easier at Ross for parents flying solo due to the proximity of your school and your child's school. The clinic is also by the day school and they take care of the kids for free. Another benefit is after care.

If you do have a partner or helper traveling with you, then your experience will differ. For the single (or traveling single) Ross can be an incredible blessing. I don't know how I could have managed at a different medical school. Last week when I interviewed I was asked why I went Carribean. The interviewer seemed to take my explanation at face value.

Last edited:
Try your state schools first before applying Caribbean. I hear they are super expensive and some docs I know had to pay out of pocket.

Try your state schools first before applying Caribbean. I hear they are super expensive and some docs I know had to pay out of pocket.
You really should look at timestamps before posting to a thread that's been dead for over a year.

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks in advance.

Jane
I have befriended many people your age that have been accepted to Caribbean medical schools and even American medical schools (Tulane) and have been successful in residency. Have a good story to tell! You can do it if it’s your dream don’t give up!

Thanks in advance.

Jane
Do not go to a Caribbean med school at your age. If you can’t get into DO right away do a SMP with linkage.