502 MCAT 3.58 GPA chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received my first MCAT results today and wanted to get some opinions on my chances for DO schools. Will be retaking the MCAT in 5 weeks so hopefully score will go up. Have done 100+ clinical work hours, 30 shadowing hours, 85 hospital volunteer hours, a semester of elementary school volunteering, 2 paid research internships and research at my school since my sophomore year with 2 poster presentations and a manuscript in progress, fraternity leadership positions, and am VP of my Pre Med club. Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Received my first MCAT results today and wanted to get some opinions on my chances for DO schools. Will be retaking the MCAT in 5 weeks so hopefully score will go up. Have done 100+ clinical work hours, 30 shadowing hours, 85 hospital volunteer hours, a semester of elementary school volunteering, 2 paid research internships and research at my school since my sophomore year with 2 poster presentations and a manuscript in progress, fraternity leadership positions, and am VP of my Pre Med club. Thanks for the feedback!

For this cycle? Did you already submit your application? If so, you should get some IIs. Aim for the newer schools though. ACOM, BCOM, etc.

A 502 is ok for many DO schools if you apply broadly (especially newer schools) and your app is otherwise strong. Just don't rush a retake and score worse! You could go from having a fair shot to being a 3rd time MCAT re-taker, which could be worse than a 502. Take it again only after you're scoring well above 500 on practice exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.6/502 and have 3 interviews this cycle already. My EC's are not as good as yours either. Submit ASAP if you haven't already, and put a lot of effort into your essays (I imagine with your ECs you would have some good topics to write about). Like others said, apply broadly (I applied to 23 programs, which was probably overkill but still) and apply to newer schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your responses! I'm going to apply to 13 DO programs and 5 MD programs (submitting my app this weekend) for now. If I get my results for my second MCAT back in October and they're much better I'll send out some additional MD apps. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to raise my Chem/phys section in the next 15 days?

I have a 3.2/502 with 4 II's this cycle, two of which are at two of the most established schools in the country. DO NOT RUSH TO RETAKE.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you want to aim for MD school, i suggested not retaking it.

I have 502, 3.56 cGPA, 3.36 sGPA , and I'm having 6 II's. Do not rush to retake.

3.5/503, two IIs. I expect more in sept. When DO schools finish processing my app. You are more than fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I wouldn't recommend a retake especially that quickly. I'd say try applying with that first and see how it goes. Keep beefing up the ECs if you can. Did you already apply this cycle are you looking at the 2017-2018 cycle?

I am with the others here. Unless you are more or equally interested in MD, don't rush to re-take the exam. I am a 3.40 cGPA 3.47 scGPA , 503 MCAT D.O. applicant and have two IIs, 0 Rs and waiting on 6 other schools.

I am with the others here. Unless you are more or equally interested in MD, don't rush to re-take the exam. I am a 3.40 cGPA 3.47 scGPA , 503 MCAT D.O. applicant and have two IIs, 0 Rs and waiting on 6 other schools.
May I ask when you submitted your apps?

I wouldn't recommend a retake especially that quickly. I'd say try applying with that first and see how it goes. Keep beefing up the ECs if you can. Did you already apply this cycle are you looking at the 2017-2018 cycle?
I'm submitting my app today sometime. Do you think I'll be alright time wise for secondaries and what not?

Members don't see this ad :)

My LizzyM is within the range of OP and I've been blessed with 7 interviews. You can do it!

I'd like to get some opinions on my DO school list before I submit my apps. Currently I have: AT Still (Arizona), Midwestern (Arizona), Burrell (NM), DMU, Kansas City COM, NYIT COM, Pacific Northwest COM, Philadelphia COM, Rocky Vista Utah and Colorado, Touro Nevada, Western U Pomona and Oregon. Thoughts?

I'd like to get some opinions on my DO school list before I submit my apps. Currently I have: AT Still (Arizona), Midwestern (Arizona), Burrell (NM), DMU, Kansas City COM, NYIT COM, Pacific Northwest COM, Philadelphia COM, Rocky Vista Utah and Colorado, Touro Nevada, Western U Pomona and Oregon. Thoughts?
Of which state are you a resident?

Of which state are you a resident?
California, but I went to South Dakota on a football scholarship my freshman year. No longer play, but decided to remain in the state as my mother is from this area. So I figure this gives me ties to the midwest and also the western states.

California, but I went to South Dakota on a football scholarship my freshman year. No longer play, but decided to remain in the state as my mother is from this area. So I figure this gives me ties to the midwest and also the western states.
I think you can leave all the schools on your list except AZCOM and Western-NW. I would add in some more newer schools, like ACOM, LMU-DCOM, WVSOM, IUW, KYCOM, etc. Your list is way too "top heavy" except for Burrell, aka schools that like high MCAT.

Retaking the mcat that quickly is unlikely to be significantly different from your prior score and could be worse. That's a recipe for failure. Retake it later if you feel you need to and you are scoring higher on practice tests. Don't make a low score worse.

100% agree.

A 502 is ok for many DO schools if you apply broadly (especially newer schools) and your app is otherwise strong. Just don't rush a retake and score worse! You could go from having a fair shot to being a 3rd time MCAT re-taker, which could be worse than a 502. Take it again only after you're scoring well above 500 on practice exams.

Don't bother with NYCOM if you're not an NY resident and you don't have killer stats.

I have a 3.2/502 with 4 II's this cycle, two of which are at two of the most established schools in the country. DO NOT RUSH TO RETAKE.
Hey I know it has been a long time since you wrote this but I have similar STATS. I have a 502 and 3.3 GPA. I was hoping you could help guide me in my list of schools and what schools accepted you or gave you secondaries. Thank you so much!!!