502 MCAT. Do I have any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaitoun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I received my MCAT score (2nd try) about a week ago and I've been feeling bummed ever since. Here are my stats:

-South Asian
-Texas resident
-Biology major with a minor in biochem and business administration
- 3.7 GPA at a community college; 3.9 GPA at a University
-502 MCAT (126/122/127/127). I scored a 495 on my first try; I am disappointed in my CARS score.
-30+ hrs in shadowing 3 physicians of different specialties and I plan on doing at least 20 more hrs with an internist before I submit my app.
-100+ hrs volunteering at a hospital. 200+ hrs at a free clinic. 30hrs at another free clinic.
-I've been working as a home health aide since 2016. I am employed to provide daily living assistance to a senior citizen.
-I spent 100 hrs in training as a CNA student at a long term care facility.
-5 hrs of non clinical volunteering at a school event
-1 year of research with a health psychologist. We studied the affects and relationships of social media use on physical and mental health.
-I was an undergraduate TA in microbiology for a semester
-I've been a medical scribe since February, 2018.

I need to get into medical school and I am determined to do it. Do you think I have a shot at a DO or even an MD school? If so, where do you suggest I apply? Also, I haven't done my research on them yet so I want to know what is your advice on caribbean medical schools?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the MCAT for Tx MD programs - otherwise you have a very low chance. Verbal is hard for most people. You will have to develop a technique to improve in the section.

As is:
Good chance at TCOM.
Great chance at the beach programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t go to Caribbean. It would be a huge mistake. Your ECs are cookie cutter. Do you have any nonclinical experience? Service to the unserved or underserved? You need at least 150 hours of this. Your MCAT score is low and if a school averages your two scores it is 497. You might be okay at the newer DO schools. I don’t think MD is reasonable but you could check the MSAR and see if your combined MCAT is at or above any schools 10th percentile. AMCAS encourages schools to average multiple MCAT scores-some do and some don’t but all scores are visible to ADCOMS.!Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest applying to all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
TCOM
ICOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Your chances are low for MD schools but it is worth applying to your Texas MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Retake the MCAT for Tx MD programs - otherwise you have a very low chance. Verbal is hard for most people. You will have to develop a technique to improve in the section.

As is:
Good chance at TCOM.
Great chance at the beach programs.

I'll try focusing on DO schools this cycle + study for the MCAT and retake only if i'm scoring above 508 consistently.

Don’t go to Caribbean. It would be a huge mistake. Your ECs are cookie cutter. Do you have any nonclinical experience? Service to the unserved or underserved? You need at least 150 hours of this. Your MCAT score is low and if a school averages your two scores it is 497. You might be okay at the newer DO schools. I don’t think MD is reasonable but you could check the MSAR and see if your combined MCAT is at or above any schools 10th percentile. AMCAS encourages schools to average multiple MCAT scores-some do and some don’t but all scores are visible to ADCOMS.!Good Luck!

yeah so I spent the majority of my volunteering hours at free clinics where we helped the underserved population in my community. I talked about my experience in my personal statement. I don't have but 5 hours of non clinical experience unfortunately but I am working on that right now and I hope to get a good amount of experience before I submit my app. yikes! I hope TX schools don't average my MCAT attempts, I don't see what's the purpose in doing so.

also, why would it be a huge mistake going to the caribbeans? Why would people go at all if it was a mistake? I haven't done my research so I'm just curious to know.

You should be able to receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest applying to all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
TCOM
ICOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Your chances are low for MD schools but it is worth applying to your Texas MD schools.

Thank you so much! I'm still waiting on my pre med advisor to send in my LORs, hopefully that's done within a week or two and I'll submit my app asap! Yeah, i'm aware I may not get into MD schools but I won't ever know for sure if I don't try.