504 on Diagnostic and First Full Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conradical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my diagnostic Kaplan about a month ago and was happy with the result (504), but assumed it was some sort of fluke. After a month of light studying (I'm still a full time student and haven't made enough time to study MCAT) I took my first full length and got a 504. I suppose my question is, are Kaplan full length's accurate in their scoring? I want to go to top 20 schools and I'm aiming for a 517. I'll have two full months of studying in May and June to get there. Is a 13 point increase attainable in that time span? Also, what Full Lengths (NextStep, AAMC, Kaplan, etc.) are the best representation of the real deal and are the best to use in preparation of the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I took my diagnostic Kaplan about a month ago and was happy with the result (504), but assumed it was some sort of fluke. After a month of light studying (I'm still a full time student and haven't made enough time to study MCAT) I took my first full length and got a 504. I suppose my question is, are Kaplan full length's accurate in their scoring? I want to go to top 20 schools and I'm aiming for a 517. I'll have two full months of studying in May and June to get there. Is a 13 point increase attainable in that time span? Also, what Full Lengths (NextStep, AAMC, Kaplan, etc.) are the best representation of the real deal and are the best to use in preparation of the MCAT?
I believe Kaplan is known to underscore compared to the real thing by a significant margin, depending on the test.
504 is a great first score, in line with the score you are aiming for.
The best full lengths are absolutely AAMC's practice MCATs. Space these out and treat them exactly like the real thing. Also take non-AAMC practice MCATs, but AAMC's are going to be most representative in questions and scores.
I scored a 509 so you don't have to respect what I say too much but I absolutely wish I had done more MCAT style practice questions, which would have replaced reviewing relevant material. Active learning in the same style as the MCAT is best way to prepare for it, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe Kaplan is known to underscore compared to the real thing by a significant margin, depending on the test.
504 is a great first score, in line with the score you are aiming for.
The best full lengths are absolutely AAMC's practice MCATs. Space these out and treat them exactly like the real thing. Also take non-AAMC practice MCATs, but AAMC's are going to be most representative in questions and scores.
I scored a 509 so you don't have to respect what I say too much but I absolutely wish I had done more MCAT style practice questions, which would have replaced reviewing relevant material. Active learning in the same style as the MCAT is best way to prepare for it, in my opinion.

Good luck.
I appreciate your feedback! I'll definitely focus more on practice questions when I finish content review.