505 MCAT c:385 s:3.8 DO school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedNebraska1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally planning on applying solely MD but now with my current MCAT have decided to apply to DO as well. Would someone be able to help me compile a list of DO schools that are good schools and that I have a good shot at. Also, any insight into my chances of acceptance would be great to hear. Lastly, would I need to get a letter of rec from a DO particularly? Currently, I have 4 strong LOR.

-Nebraska Resident and white male
-MCAT: 505 (127,123,127,128)
-GPA: c: 3.8g s:3.8
-Total of 2,700 research hours split between a genetics lab and a neuropharmacology lab (2 posters thus far in neuro lab)
-Paid clinical experience by working as a med aid in the state prison ~ 300 hours
-500 hours of Chemistry 109 TA and Organic Chemistry I TA
-Muscular Dystrophy Association Summer camp counselor of 2 years - 288 volunteer hours
-Camp Munro summer volunteer (camp for kids with disabilities)- 40 hours
-various community service hours ~ 75h hours
- MD/ 8 hours DO job shadowing ~ 60 hours
-Free Medical Clinic Volunteer ~50 hours
-My hobbies are intramural sports on campus every year as well as being super into fitness as I have been working out for 5 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I was originally planning on applying solely MD but now with my current MCAT have decided to apply to DO as well. Would someone be able to help me compile a list of DO schools that are good schools and that I have a good shot at. Also, any insight into my chances of acceptance would be great to hear. Lastly, would I need to get a letter of rec from a DO particularly? Currently, I have 4 strong LOR.

-Total of 2,700 research hours split between a genetics lab and a neuropharmacology lab (2 posters thus far in neuro lab)
-Paid clinical experience by working as a med aid in the state prison ~ 300 hours
-Muscular Dystrophy Association Summer camp counselor of 2 years - 288 volunteer hours
-My hobbies are intramural sports on campus every year as well as being super into fitness as I have been working out for 5 years.

Below 125 in any subsection can get you screened out at a lot of schools. If you had balanced 505 I would say you would be good for all DO schools and have a decent shot at some MD schools. I've scanned the MSAR data for all of the lower tier MD schools that are receptive to ORM applicants and a 123 CARS is below the 10th percentile for accepted applicants at every school I've checked (though one private school had a 122 CARS 10th percentile) for matriculated. I think some DO schools would take you because of your GPA but as an ORM, I think your chances at MD schools are not good. I would consider applying broadly to DO schools if you don't want to retake the MCAT.

I understand my MD shots are slim but from scouring the internet, it seems like a 505 is rather competitive for DO? My current MD list is as follows:

-UNMC due to Nebraska resident and brother currently enrolled here
-Penn State
-Oakland Beaumont
-Loyola
-Medical College Wisconsin
-Rosalind Franklin

Any tips on that list would be helpful but my main concern is a DO list that gives me the best chances and that I wont get screened for the 123.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply state MD, but DOs should generally view you favorably. You should have your pick at interviews.

Your 505 is right in the ballpark for many DO schools’ average matriculant. Your GPA exceeds the average matriculant everywhere (I think?).

The 505 is not the problem, the 123 in cars is. My suggestion for DO schools would be:

LECOM E
LECOM B
any of the TOURO's
Any school where you think you can write well about fitting their mission.

Fine for:

Wayne State (maybe)

U Toledo

Seton Hall

Rosy Franklin

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

Loyola

WVU

VCU

U VM

Rush

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Albany

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Netter

Gtown

GWU

U NE

Nova MD

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't mean to hijack your post.
Is the story similar for who received a 124 (39%) in psych/soc? (Total 504 = 126 126 128 124*)

I applied to nearly 20 DO schools and have not been screened out of a single one with very similar stats (practically identical) and a 123 in CARS. I just received my first II to ATSU-SOMA. Feel free to PM me for more details and I can share my list!