511 MCAT, 3.15sGPA and 3.52cGPA, should I still retake a few science courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epoxydine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a low science gpa (the above is calculated with the AACOMAS methodology) and a low cumulative gpa but a pretty good MCAT score. Definite upward trend in my grades over four years and I performed especially well this past year with all A's or B+'s. If all the clinical experience/volunteering/shadowing etc. is equal, should I still try to retake a course or two I performed poorly in? I found that if I retake just one of my chem classes my sGPA will be raised from a 3.15 to a 3.27 (if I get an A, and I am positive I can). If I take an additional lab bio course I could be in the 3.3 range. Is this kind of gpa rise worth the time in class next semester and the money? Any input much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Great job on the MCAT! I've read around many threads and some schools have a cut off at 3.25, not sure if it's cGPA or sGPA, but keep that in mind when you are applying to schools if you aren't retaking classes. For me I would definitely retake some classes to get to 3.3 because that would open more doors. 3.3 with that MCAT should grant you some interviews.

If I had extra time I would retake the course. You could also look at retaking the course online or at a community college, you might find something cheaper and easier to schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that 511, to be totally honest retake a handful of courses get that GPA up to a 3.4/3.5 and you'll have no problem getting in anywhere. It may delay you a year but you'll be thankful when you can PICK your school and not hope to get into 1.

Good luck to you

Reactions: 1 user
Dude you will get in this year with a 511 if you apply broadly to D.O. schools. I assume this is what you are aiming for because you posted in the D.O. forum. M.D. will be a different story, you will definitely have to retake a few courses like the above posters mentioned and bring it close to a 3.5 ish. The choice is yours.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm thinking about sucking it up, paying a couple thousand bucks and taking 2 of those UNE online premed courses--one will be a retake (chem) and one will be sort of an extra bio class. That will bring me up to a 3.3 granted I get As. But I feel fairly confident about that, my study skills have really improved over the course of my undergrad. I'm hoping to be finished up with classes by September because I am planning on moving. I'm not really willing to spend the time or money to get up to a 3.4/5 but as long as I will get into a few D.O. schools if I apply broadly, I'm happy. Not too concerned with DO/MD difference.

Does anyone know to what extent DO schools take online courses? Are they regarded the same for grade replacement or what? I've read that they treat them the same as any other class but if anyone has heard different, let me know.

It's about a grand for my CC to take 2 science classes. Check out if your CC if it is that cheap, rather than pay a couple thousand bucks.

The CC isn't at all close to where I live, which is unfortunate. The thing about the UNE courses that appeals to me is that you can finish them as quickly as possible. Since its honestly material I have seen before I don't think they will take too long so that's what I am hoping for. It seems foolish to spend a whole semester on stuff I messed up my freshman and sophomore years.

UNE is kind of a ripoff, but I have a 1400$ americorps scholarship I haven't used yet so it should ultimately only cost me about 1200. Which is still not great obviously but whats another thousand on top of the hundreds of thousands I will hopefully be spending on medical school, lol.

Auto cutoff may get you on some but if you get your app in for DO asap and apply broadly you'll likely get in somewhere. Forget MD with that gpa.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk