MD & DO 511 MCAT 3.6 cGPA 3.45 sGPA Non-trad (reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keesMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-traditional reapplicant (on an MD wait list from last cycle... fingers crossed!)
Stats: cGPA = 3.6, sGPA = 3.45, MCAT = 511
Research: 2 years in biomedical research, second author publication (new for this application cycle), research project managed and completed as part of MA degree (in education)
Clinical experience: 50+ shadowing hours across different specialties, 150+ hours hospital volunteering, just beginning part-time job as ED medical scribe
Other ECs: Successful career in education as a teacher and school leader all within urban communities working with underserved populations; Teach For America alum; long-term volunteering since HS with same organization (over 4000 hrs); urban health leadership/advocacy
LORs: 2 science professors (1 undergrad, 1 post-bacc), 1 non-science professor, professional supervisor, research supervisor/MD

I know that I need a much larger, more intentional list, which was a mistake of mine last year. I am most interested in programs geared toward service and working in underserved communities. Any recommendations?

Current MD list:
UCLA PRIME
USC - Keck
OHSU (I have family ties to Oregon)
Quinnipiac*
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont*
Tufts
George Washington*
NYMC
Colorado (resident)*
Brown (MD-ScM Program)
Virginia Commonwealth*
Rochester

*denotes schools where I will be a reapplicant this cycle

I also plan to apply DO this cycle, but do not yet have a list going outside of Rocky Vista. Would love recommendations here as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping for advice. Thanks!

UCLA, Keck and and Brown are reaches with your stats. Otherwise your list is fine. Other schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Tulane
Roseman (new school accepting applications sometime this year)
You are competitive for any DO school so just find at least 8 that you would like to apply to. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though the sGPA is on the lower side, it's workable. ECs are fine as well. Hopefully you've rectified the mistakes you made from last year (whether it be from a poor list, applying too late, etc). Take out UCLA and Brown for sure. USC Keck has stats that are a little high for you but its okay for a reach. Faha added some great schools for you. I also suggest adding Rush since they value community service a lot. If you have shown a demonstrated interest in catering the underserved communities (especially African American communities) and can show your passion in wanting to serve them, the HBCs (like Howard) could also be worth an add. Some DO schools you could add in case could be Touro, PCOM, and Western.