This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JordanMed123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people! I'm considering my options and want to know what schools I'd be able to look at with my current stats. I'm considering a 5th year and would like some advice.

State school - Biology Major (with lots of upper division biology classes and some business, computer science, and liberal arts mixed in)
cGPA: 3.91
sGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 518

Volunteering:
Clinical volunteering at big hospital - 50 hours
Clinical volunteering at free clinic - 150 hours

Teaching students whose families have never gone to college - 100 hours
Volunteering at a homeless shelter - 40 hours

Abroad experience:
Medical Brigade to Honduras

Shadowing:
About 60 hours with a neurosurgeon

Research:
5000+ hours with 4 publications

Leadership:
TA experience
Lab mentor experience
Council position in a university organization

Recommendation letters:
Strong RL from PI (also taught a science course so trying to double as a BCPM letter). Decent RL from previous PI. Strong RL from Biology prof. (Thinking of people to ask, but I'd prob get a weaker letter from my global health professor as non-science).

Other:
Multiple awards at public speaking competitions
Yearly fellowships offered for research at the university
University honors program and other GPA-related honors

If I do a 5th year, I'll probably raise my GPA, get more volunteering and also more publications. I'm considering shadowing a bit more. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. Why are you thinking of waiting? Keep volunteering at the homeless shelter, maybe at the hospital and find a PCP to shadow for a day or two. If you are going to apply this cycle do it very soon. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering staying on request from my lab. I just wanted to know what schools I'd be competitive for. I'm a little unsure of where I'd end up, and my parents are urging me to try to aim for somewhere really good. I understand where they're coming from and wouldn't mind doing an extra year.

Btw, I'm from Texas.

I'm considering staying on request from my lab. I just wanted to know what schools I'd be competitive for. I'm a little unsure of where I'd end up, and my parents are urging me to try to aim for somewhere really good. I understand where they're coming from and wouldn't mind doing an extra year.

Btw, I'm from Texas.
Apply to all the Texas MD schools and you should receive several interviews.