6/27/17 DAT Breakdown!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm107

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TS:24 AA:23
BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
26/21/26/21/18/22

DAT Bootcamp full length practice tests:
#1: 24/25/24/21/20/18
#2: 19/20/20/22/20/20
#3: 19/26/24/19/23/19
#4: 22/24/26/-/-/19

First and foremost, I would like to thank Ari from DAT Bootcamp and Chad from Course Saver. I would not have been able to get these scores without you! I would also like to thank Dr. Romano and Nancy from Destroyer for creating challenging material that really prepared me for the real thing. I don't want to bore anyone with a wicked long post, but this is basically how I prepared for the DAT in about 6.5 weeks!

Materials used: DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Chad's Videos, Cliff's AP Bio, Feralis' Notes

Week 1/2: Skimmed through Cliff's AP Bio (did not take any notes) and occasionally took the end of the chapter quizzes. For GC, OC, and QR I watched all of Chad's videos and took all the quizzes. I also took really good notes, especially for gen chem.

Week 3: Every other day, I would take a Math Destroyer exam and review my answers the following day. I only ended up taking the first six tests. I started doing about 50 GC and OC Destroyer questions a day, again, always reviewing the solutions even if I got the question right! I would try to review my notes from Chad's videos every few days to keep the material fresh in my mind. This is also around the time I started playing with Bootcamp's PAT generators and taking a practice exam every few days.

Week 4/5: Around this time I think I was finishing up with GC/OC Destroyer and started taking GC/OC Bootcamp exams. By the end of the fifth week, I was done with GC/OC Bootcamp #6-10 (saving the first five for the full length exams under Ari's suggestion). I finished the Bio Destroyer section by the fifth week as well. I was scoring horribly (usually less than 50%) but I kept reviewing my weaknesses with Feralis' notes.

Week 6: Took DAT Bootcamp full length practice exams #1-4, the natural sciences section of the 2009 practice test, and just tried to expose myself to as much bio as possible since I did not spend that much time studying for this section. I know a lot of people go through the destroyer multiple times, but I just went through it once and felt like it was enough for me. I'm happy I decided to spend my time taking practice tests instead of doing destroyer a second time.

Last few days before the exam, I went through ALL of the natural sciences section of the DAT Bootcamp exams and reviewed the questions I got wrong. Day before the exam, I literally felt like I did not know anything and felt so sick. Dealing with test anxiety is definitely an internal battle, but now that it is over, I realize how worthless it was. Don't let yourself feel sick before the exam. If you gave it your all, there is nothing left to do but go to the exam with confidence!

Test day: I got to the test center about 40 minutes early. Took about 20 minutes to check in/get myself seated. Bio section was pretty easy, I got lucky and did not get any taxonomy questions! GC was a little tough for me for some reason, and because of this I started the OC section WITH ONLY 13 MINUTES LEFT ON THE TIMER. I literally was on the verge of crying. I had spent way too much time on the GC even though I always finished early on practice exams. I somehow finished all 30 OC questions in under 11 minutes (don't ask me how). During the break, I really thought I would have to retake since I rushed so quickly through the OC section without any extra time to really review my marked questions. I tried to put this behind me to stay focused for the rest of my exam. Unfortunately, I also ran out of time for RC and had to guess for the last 6 questions or so without reading the questions. QR was a lot easier than Destroyer/Bootcamp and I finished with a few extra minutes left.

Overall, I'm happy with my scores but I've been really nervous about my RC score since I know schools put a lot of weight on it. The 18 was definitely the result of spending way too much time on a few questions, and being forced to mark random answers for questions I may have easily gotten. I definitely do not want to retake, so I think I am just going to apply broadly and hope for the best!

Thank you SDN for being a huge resource throughout this journey, and good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Great work! Don't be too worried about the RC section, the rest of your scores are very strong overall and you should have plenty of opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
Those are some awesome scores! I'm sure your RC will be supported by your other scores. You can't do well in biology if your reading comprehension is poor.

Members don't see this ad :)
BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
26/21/26/21/18/22

First and foremost, I would like to thank Ari from DAT Bootcamp and Chad from Course Saver. I would not have been able to get these scores without you! I would also like to thank Dr. Romano and Nancy from Destroyer for creating challenging material that really prepared me for the real thing. I don't want to bore anyone with a wicked long post, but this is basically how I prepared for the DAT in about 6.5 weeks!

Materials used: DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Chad's Videos, Cliff's AP Bio, Feralis' Notes

Week 1/2: Skimmed through Cliff's AP Bio (did not take any notes) and occasionally took the end of the chapter quizzes. For GC, OC, and QR I watched all of Chad's videos and took all the quizzes. I also took really good notes, especially for gen chem.

Week 3: Every other day, I would take a Math Destroyer exam and review my answers the following day. I only ended up taking the first six tests. I started doing about 50 GC and OC Destroyer questions a day, again, always reviewing the solutions even if I got the question right! I would try to review my notes from Chad's videos every few days to keep the material fresh in my mind. This is also around the time I started playing with Bootcamp's PAT generators and taking a practice exam every few days.

Week 4/5: Around this time I think I was finishing up with GC/OC Destroyer and started taking GC/OC Bootcamp exams. By the end of the fifth week, I was done with GC/OC Bootcamp #6-10 (saving the first five for the full length exams under Ari's suggestion). I finished the Bio Destroyer section by the fifth week as well. I was scoring horribly (usually less than 50%) but I kept reviewing my weaknesses with Feralis' notes.

Week 6: Took DAT Bootcamp full length practice exams #1-4, the natural sciences section of the 2009 practice test, and just tried to expose myself to as much bio as possible since I did not spend that much time studying for this section. I know a lot of people go through the destroyer multiple times, but I just went through it once and felt like it was enough for me. I'm happy I decided to spend my time taking practice tests instead of doing destroyer a second time.

Last few days before the exam, I went through ALL of the natural sciences section of the DAT Bootcamp exams and reviewed the questions I got wrong. Day before the exam, I literally felt like I did not know anything and felt so sick. Dealing with test anxiety is definitely an internal battle, but now that it is over, I realize how worthless it was. Don't let yourself feel sick before the exam. If you gave it your all, there is nothing left to do but go to the exam with confidence!

Test day: I got to the test center about 40 minutes early. Took about 20 minutes to check in/get myself seated. Bio section was pretty easy, I got lucky and did not get any taxonomy questions! GC was a little tough for me for some reason, and because of this I started the OC section WITH ONLY 13 MINUTES LEFT ON THE TIMER. I literally was on the verge of crying. I had spent way too much time on the GC even though I always finished early on practice exams. I somehow finished all 30 OC questions in under 11 minutes (don't ask me how). During the break, I really thought I would have to retake since I rushed so quickly through the OC section without any extra time to really review my marked questions. I tried to put this behind me to stay focused for the rest of my exam. Unfortunately, I also ran out of time for RC and had to guess for the last 6 questions or so without reading the questions. QR was a lot easier than Destroyer/Bootcamp and I finished with a few extra minutes left.

Overall, I'm happy with my scores but I've been really nervous about my RC score since I know schools put a lot of weight on it. The 18 was definitely the result of spending way too much time on a few questions, and being forced to mark random answers for questions I may have easily gotten. I definitely do not want to retake, so I think I am just going to apply broadly and hope for the best!

Thank you SDN for being a huge resource throughout this journey, and good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Congrats!! I really don't think the RC will affect you too much considering how awesome you did on everything else!! So I really would not worry, especially if you have a solid GPA/etc.

As for RC.. did you feel that bootcamp was representative? Were the questions in chronological order? What do you think is the reason you didnt do as well as you'd hoped?

As for QR...i am a few days away from my exam and was wondering.. do you think at this point really feeling comfortable with all QR Bootcamp exams would give me a good shot at 20+? What woulud you suggest to do for QR the last couple days before the exam?

As for GC... did you think it was tough? Like more calculation based? Ugh this scares me.

Thanks!! Congrats again :)

BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
26/21/26/21/18/22

Whoa! Job well done! Congratulations and reading score will not be a problem, they will be blinded by your other scores.

Thanks for the breakdown and shoutout.

Dr. Romano and Nancy

BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
26/21/26/21/18/22

Congrats!! Those are really impressive scores. I agree and don't think you RC score will be an issue. It meets the min requirement for any school, plus your science scores are in the top percentage.

For the bio section, you mentioned you didn't have any taxonomy. What topics would you say were mostly emphasized in your bio section?

Congrats!! I really don't think the RC will affect you too much considering how awesome you did on everything else!! So I really would not worry, especially if you have a solid GPA/etc.

As for RC.. did you feel that bootcamp was representative? Were the questions in chronological order? What do you think is the reason you didnt do as well as you'd hoped?

As for QR...i am a few days away from my exam and was wondering.. do you think at this point really feeling comfortable with all QR Bootcamp exams would give me a good shot at 20+? What woulud you suggest to do for QR the last couple days before the exam?

As for GC... did you think it was tough? Like more calculation based? Ugh this scares me.

Thanks!! Congrats again :)
Bootcamp was definitely representative. The questions on the real thing were a lot easier too, so I honestly don't know what happened. I did search and destroy method, and spent way too much time on the second passage looking for answers. If you can't get the answer within a minute, I would suggest just marking it and coming back to it...don't dwell on a question for too long like I did.

As for QR, the real thing was easier than bootcamp, so if you feel comfortable with bootcamp and really understand your mistakes, you should be fine. The new comparison questions came up on mine (about 5 questions) and bootcamp did a good job at preparing me for those. I didn't have any trig! So for the last couple days, if you feel good about bootcamp, I honestly would suggest using your time in other sections.

For GC, I really don't remember much since I was so stressed out during this section haha. I don't think the questions were that bad, I just started doubted myself on like every question so try not to do that, it wastes a ton of time for no reason. I would say it was about a 50/50 split between quantitative and conceptual questions. If you used chad's videos, definitely review your notes the last few days and any questions you got wrong on bootcamp!

Don't go crazy the day before your exam though! It's hard to do, but just try to relax. I skimmed notes for a couple hours but did not do more than that. You really need to give your brain some rest in order to perform well on test day! Good luck!

Congrats!! Those are really impressive scores. I agree and don't think you RC score will be an issue. It meets the min requirement for any school, plus your science scores are in the top percentage.

For the bio section, you mentioned you didn't have any taxonomy. What topics would you say were mostly emphasized in your bio section?
I had a ton on embryology, the endocrine system, and genetics. Every test is so so different though, so it really just depends on what you get on test day! Bio is definitely tough to prepare for since it's so broad, so just try to be prepared for anything, without getting too caught up in the tiny details.

BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
26/21/26/21/18/22

Congrats on the great scores!!!!

Thank you so much! Do you have any idea how badly that RC score will hurt my chances at schools like Penn or Columbia? Is it still worth taking a shot? Thanks again!!

What is your GPA? I have worked with many students who have gotten into those schools with 18 reading...Your other scores are in line, just need a great GPA to go along with it and you should have an excellent chance for interviews at both schools..

BTW, we are in NYC and work with many students that apply to both those schools.

Just my 2 cents after many years of working with students.

Nancy

What is your GPA? I have worked with many students who have gotten into those schools with 18 reading...Your other scores are in line, just need a great GPA to go along with it and you should have an excellent chance for interviews at both schools..

BTW, we are in NYC and work with many students that apply to both those schools.

Just my 2 cents after many years of working with students.

Nancy
Around a 3.8, thanks Nancy!!

You should not have a worry in the world!
With those scores and GPA you should get an interview invite at both those schools. I can stress enough the importance of a great personal statement. You want to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack.

Good luck..

Thank you so much! Do you have any idea how badly that RC score will hurt my chances at schools like Penn or Columbia? Is it still worth taking a shot? Thanks again!!

whats your sci gpa, bcp gpa, overall gpa, and what school did you go to if you don't mind sharing