6 year pharm vs traditional MD path

VeggieForce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SAT: 2050
GPA: 4.65 (idk the one based on 4.0 scale)

I got accepted to the Northeastern 6 year pharm program. I have also been accepted to TCNJ with a biology major. I have been wanting to become a doctor forever, but the pharmacy pros seem really nice not to mention the extremely reduced stress if I do the Northeastern program. Still, I have heard that it is getting extremely hard to find a pharmacy job once your done with becoming a pharmacist. As a doctor, I will have job security. However, I still feel that I can become a good doctor and make it into med school. TCNJ has been my favorite college so far. (can keep my gpa higher than if I went to an ivy league and I loved it when i visited it) If I do the pharm program I feel that I am just taking the easy way out and fearing the stress of becoming doctor. Should I just go to TCNJ and continuing exploring and see if I still REALLY want to become a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

SAT: 2050
GPA: 4.65 (idk the one based on 4.0 scale)

I got accepted to the Northeastern 6 year pharm program. I have also been accepted to TCNJ with a biology major. I have been wanting to become a doctor forever, but the pharmacy pros seem really nice not to mention the extremely reduced stress if I do the Northeastern program. Still, I have heard that it is getting extremely hard to find a pharmacy job once your done with becoming a pharmacist. As a doctor, I will have job security. However, I still feel that I can become a good doctor and make it into med school. TCNJ has been my favorite college so far. (can keep my gpa higher than if I went to an ivy league and I loved it when i visited it) If I do the pharm program I feel that I am just taking the easy way out and fearing the stress of becoming doctor. Should I just go to TCNJ and continuing exploring and see if I still REALLY want to become a doctor?

Do what you thinks best.

If your debating on this issue when you already been accepted to a 6 yr pharm program, sounds like you want to go the MD route.

Members don't see this ad :)
You didn't even apply to ANY B.S./M.D. programs...?

I think you should think long and hard about whether or not you really want to be a medical doctor. Are you only going into pharmacy for economic reasons or is it something you would love doing for the rest of your life? Have you shadowed a pharmacist and/or looked up what their job requires?

If you truly do not know what you want to do, I would consider doing the pharmacy program. This way you would graduate with a Pharmacy degree, and then you can decide to change your mind later and reapply to medical school. This would be the safe option.

However, others would strongly encourage against what I am suggesting. If you decide to pursue the biology degree, you will have to realize that there is a possibility that you will not get into medical nor pharmacy school. That is the only reason I am suggesting you do pharmacy! It is clearly the "safer" option.

There are fewer and fewer pharmacy jobs now because more and more schools are opening. In the Boston area alone, MCPHS opened up 2 satellite campuses, WNEC, St. Joseph's, there may be more that I don't know about, while medicine jobs don't seem to be decreasing as much. If you really love pharmacy, might as well go for what you love, but I think you should become a doctor.