7-Figure Anesthesia Salaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genius19971995

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys

Alright to make a long story short one of my cousins is a head nurse at the Univ of Mich. He was telling me how this one resident who after he became a board certified anesthesiologist went out west as (I believe but am not sure) a pediatric anesthesiologist. Anyways, he was telling me this person went into private practice and was starting at seven-figures. Now, I am fully aware that anesthesiologists are among the highest compensated, non-surgical doctors out there, but seven figures starting? That's high even for a neurological/spine surgeon. So is this reasonable? Are there any anesthesiologists out there starting at seven-figures?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys

Alright to make a long story short one of my cousins is a head nurse at the Univ of Mich. He was telling me how this one resident who after he became a board certified anesthesiologist went out west as (I believe but am not sure) a pediatric anesthesiologist. Anyways, he was telling me this person went into private practice and was starting at seven-figures. Now, I am fully aware that anesthesiologists are among the highest compensated, non-surgical doctors out there, but seven figures starting? That's high even for a neurological/spine surgeon. So is this reasonable? Are there any anesthesiologists out there starting at seven-figures?

Thanks,

Starting at $1 million? No. But there are a few Anesthesiologists earning over a million per year. Of course, Chronic Pain docs can get close to 7 figures.

Average salary Is more likely low 400s but I have seen Peds Anesthesiologists in certain areas earn high 6 figures; 7 figures after a year or two is not out of the realm of possibility.

No medicaid. All private payers. Only 5 percent or less charity care (usually 1-2 percent) means big money ($800-$1,000,000) at 55 hours plus per week x 51 weeks

Unlikely unless he or she were to have immediately been made partner on hiring; which, again, is highly unlikely.

In any event, Anesthesia is facing plummeting salaries following the full institution of the Healthcare Reform Act (aka Obamacare)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i call bulls*** no way. ive been around a while and NEVER have i heard anyone making a MIL. NEVER.. just being a working stiff.. If you start a company sure maybe but day to day anesthesiologist.. low to mid 300s is where everyone is.. mid 400s IF you work especially hard and have NO LIFE>

Hey, guys

Thanks,

Seven figures is doable in this business, dude.

However,

no one

STARTS THERE.

I'm waiting for you to tell me about the

GREAT REAL ESTATE IN FLORIDA YOU WANNA SELL ME.

Out west like California? No way!

I have heard of Alaska paying a very high amount. I don't know how much, but a friend of a friend went there out of residency and got some massive bonus and he now owns 3 planes and his own hanger to keep them in, and like 4 houses. But I don't have any true details, it's just my guess.

Where can a Peds guy see no medicaid? In my state 95% of kids that we do work on are medicaid. Kids who have blue cross tend to have parents who make them brush their teeth and therefore not need dental rehab. Over a million I see doable with a very busy, very high end OB service before peds.

Unlikely unless he or she were to have immediately been made partner on hiring; which, again, is highly unlikely.

In any event, Anesthesia is facing plummeting salaries following the full institution of the Healthcare Reform Act (aka Obamacare)

True, but there is a high possibility that will be deemed unconstitutional by the supreme court.

I have heard of Alaska paying a very high amount. I don't know how much, but a friend of a friend went there out of residency and got some massive bonus and he now owns 3 planes and his own hanger to keep them in, and like 4 houses. But I don't have any true details, it's just my guess.

I believe he said Arizona/Nevada Area.

There is a certain hospital (yes in California....close to 80% private pay) where anesthesiologists covering primarily OB rake in 1 million.....they screw the junior guys by leaving them with the medi-cal patients.

Peds reimbursement is generally terrible considering the huge number of medicaid patients that you end up taking care of.

But successful groups can have salaries near a million per partner per year. You just don't start at that. Gotta work up to it.

Hey, guys

Thanks,

If you count the figures after the decimal you can start at 8 figures :)

On the iPhone

Members don't see this ad :)
i call bulls*** no way. ive been around a while and NEVER have i heard anyone making a MIL. NEVER.. just being a working stiff.. If you start a company sure maybe but day to day anesthesiologist.. low to mid 300s is where everyone is.. mid 400s IF you work especially hard and have NO LIFE>

I know guys that make at least 600 with pretty sweet schedules.

1) Payor mix/fat subsidy/well negotiated contracts with different insurance companies.

2) Work hard

3) Lean and well structured anesthesia group that does pain and is part owner of well run ASC's.

Unless you are screwing your own partners... permutations of the three factors above is the only way you can cash in on 7 digits.

1) Payor mix/fat subsidy/well negotiated contracts with different insurance companies.

2) Work hard

3) Lean and well structured anesthesia group that does pain and is part owner of well run ASC's.

Unless you are screwing your own partners... permutations of the three factors above is the only way you can cash in on 7 digits.

You only need items 1 and 2 to earn 7 figures. Number 3 is bonus and can put you well into 7 figures. A prominent member of this board knows I speak the truth here.

hey sevo

working hard has zero to do with making 7 figures

It aint possible for a anes doc to make a mil working...

hey sevo

working hard has zero to do with making 7 figures

It aint possible for a anes doc to make a mil working...

sure it is. We'd do it if we didn't take so much vacation and had fewer partners. But quality of life is worth more than money.

You only need items 1 and 2 to earn 7 figures. Number 3 is bonus and can put you well into 7 figures.

Agreed. that bonus = 50-200k depending on services provided. C/LESI are very profitable over here... and if you are part owner = good reimbursement after your investment. Doing 15-20 in a day is good business.

Hey, guys

Thanks,

No way Jose. Don't believe everything you hear.

I'm sorry..but even if you do Pain these days, 7 figures is not even possible. I call bluff.

I'm sorry..but even if you do Pain these days, 7 figures is not even possible. I call bluff.

in an ACT model with a physician covering 4 rooms it is quite possible. In a busy ACT model with good payor mix, it's probably not even that difficult to do if you want to. You'll just end up working a lot and not having much vacation.

in an ACT model with a physician covering 4 rooms it is quite possible. In a busy ACT model with good payor mix, it's probably not even that difficult to do if you want to. You'll just end up working a lot and not having much vacation.

I don't know what these dudes are smoking. I'm at the model of inefficiency, never cover more than 2:1, do my own cases at least 20% of the time, with pretty average reimbursement rates (maybe a little better, but not much), frequent non clinical time, and still collect well over $500k easy by units. I also usually work 7-3. Lean it up, work till 5 or 6, cover 3 or 4 rooms, and I'd be bringing in around 1m. That model wouldn't work in my practice, but it's possible. One of my pals is a partner in a great group nearby. All insured, covers the best suburban hospitals and a couple ASCs, tons of insured OB. His bonuses have been more than my base salary. That's definitely a >90% group. They rarely hire, never advertise, and cherry pick superstars.
If your rates suck, move, or don't complain. The money is there.

Cheers!

Last edited:
lucky to get 300-350 with on call 4-5 times a month..and OB coverage as partner in southeast working 50-60 hrs a week...i dunno anyone here who is making a mil unless they own the group or hire slaves out of residency

lucky to get 300-350 with on call 4-5 times a month..and OB coverage as partner in southeast working 50-60 hrs a week...i dunno anyone here who is making a mil unless they own the group or hire slaves out of residency

You are the future of this field for all of us.

making a mil straight out of residency is pretty unrealistic. for the soon to be attendings out there: be careful of groups with partners making big money with a long partnership tracks... that usually means the new recruits are subsidizing the partners' pay. the pot of gold may not be there once you've put in your time.

I don't know what these dudes are smoking. I'm at the model of inefficiency, never cover more than 2:1, do my own cases at least 20% of the time, with pretty average reimbursement rates (maybe a little better, but not much), frequent non clinical time, and still bring in well over $500k easy by units. I also usually work 7-3. Lean it up, work till 5 or 6, cover 3 or 4 rooms, and I'd be bringing in around 1m. That model wouldn't work in my practice, but it's possible. One of my pals is a partner in a great group nearby. All insured, covers the best suburban hospitals and a couple ASCs, tons of insured OB. His bonuses have been more than my base salary. That's definitely a >90% group. They rarely hire, never advertise, and cherry pick superstars.
If your rates suck, move, or don't complain. The money is there.

Cheers!

what area of the country do you live in? Also, will you be hiring next year?

what area of the country do you live in? Also, will you be hiring next year?

If you're a fellowship trained pediatric anesthesiologist, maybe. You probably wouldn't like my group though. Why work here anyway? Go work somewhere efficient and properly staffed, then you clean up. I subsidize the lazy and entitled.

Cheers!

making a mil straight out of residency is pretty unrealistic. for the soon to be attendings out there: be careful of groups with partners making big money with a long partnership tracks... that usually means the new recruits are subsidizing the partners' pay. the pot of gold may not be there once you've put in your time.

making a mil anytime as an anesthesia attending is totally unrealistic

This is what you will find everywhere.. (the above post) spot on!

making a mil anytime as an anesthesia attending is totally unrealistic

you should go visit a large successful group and see how they function. We collect (not bill, collect) well over a million dollars per physician (not partner) per year. Expenses eat into that, but we could run far leaner than we do if we wanted to maximize income.

This is what you will find everywhere.. (the above post) spot on!

I make more than that in academics dude, academics. You don't know what you're talking about. For someone who claims to have been an anesthesiologist for a decade you don't seem to understand the profession very well. Look at markets outside your own and stop reading Gaswork.
Do have another account here? You sound like someone I know...

Cheers!

I make more than that in academics dude, academics. You don't know what you're talking about. For someone who claims to have been an anesthesiologist for a decade you don't seem to understand the profession very well. Look at markets outside your own and stop reading Gaswork.
Do have another account here? You sound like someone I know...

Cheers!

+1

300-350 isn't even MGMA average in the worst states...

what type of model do y'all recommend the new grads look for?

Well run group earning 80% plus MGMA income for the region. But, look at case mix, location, personalities, power structure, supervision vs solo cases, call, vacation, hours per week, stability of group (will they sell to Mednax), subsidy, etc.

I know one guy who took an easy job earning 75th percentile MGMA and he is happy as heck. 12 weeks off, 40 hours a week when is he working and he loves the area.

Money is important but it isn't everything when evaluating a job.

Well run group earning 80% plus MGMA income for the region. But, look at case mix, location, personalities, power structure, supervision vs solo cases, call, vacation, hours per week, stability of group (will they sell to Mednax), subsidy, etc.

I know one guy who took an easy job earning 75th percentile MGMA and he is happy as heck. 12 weeks off, 40 hours a week when is he working and he loves the area.

Money is important but it isn't everything when evaluating a job.

Thank you.

MGMA numbers include benefits too right? Or take home cash only?

I know a peds fellow who was offered 6-700k in true BFE starting off. Never heard of anything higher (starting)

you should go visit a large successful group and see how they function. We collect (not bill, collect) well over a million dollars per physician (not partner) per year. Expenses eat into that, but we could run far leaner than we do if we wanted to maximize income.
BULL %$#@

You dont collect well over a million. You are lieing through your teeth.

So you are making 800 plus a year..???. BULL $%^&
Why are you making so much more than everyone else??

are you special?

and you dont know what the &*() you are talking about

Our specialty is unique enough (billing by units) that most of us do well but it is also difficult to bill and earn excessively like spine/ortho/PLS guys. If you work 60 hours a week and 50 weeks a year, you have to collect $333 every single hour to make it to 1 million. I would love to know where you can get this without slaving/screwing other partners or get a huge subsidy.

If you do make this much, you better save because AMCs will be all over your hospital like white on rice.

BULL %$#@

You dont collect well over a million. You are lieing through your teeth.

So you are making 800 plus a year..???. BULL $%^&
Why are you making so much more than everyone else??

are you special?

and you dont know what the &*() you are talking about

I don't think Mman is that far off. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised they collect more than that.

It is easily conceivable for an anesthesiologist to bill for 13,000 units per year (I'm not too off from that). Multiply that number by an average of $50 per unit and you get = 650k. Now add 4 CRNA's to that mix and you do the math. Def. possible (in billing terms).
Payor mix is everything. If your average unit is $65... then you are kicking arse.

The busiest place I interviewed was just south of a million and they had a incredibly ****ty payer mix.

There aren't many of these jobs so I would say that a grad cannot expect it, but they do exist.

I do all my own cases and so I make half or less what I would have made there, but I live where I want to and I am in a job that I can work until they pry me out of the chair. If I had worked there I would have been gone after 5-8 years with a funded retirement looking for the job I now have.

I may end up working more total hours in my life when all is said and done, but I will enjoy those hours immensely more and the tradeoff is worth it for me.

Never underestimate the power of having people work for you. An efficiently run 8:1 practice will get you this kind of money even with a bad payer mix. With a good payer mix...

- pod

• Wow