7 months until I start dental school... Dental students' input?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyingPenguin222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been blessed with an acceptance to dental school, and I have 7 months until school starts. I would like to do something productive. I was thinking maybe get myself familiar with some of the dental terms and content. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do on my spare time? I would like to be as prepared as possible for dental school, so I decided to look for helpful input on here!

In other words, if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks!

-Flyingpenguin222

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks!

-Flyingpenguin222

Congrats on getting in. I plan to buy a plane ticket to Southeast Asia and spend a good three to four months backpacking/working there and having an amazing adventure the summer before dental school.

Reactions: 2 users
That sounds exciting! Travelling is something I can't afford at the moment as much as I'd like to. Where in Southeast Asia?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I have been blessed with an acceptance to dental school, and I have 7 months until school starts. I was wondering, since I have some time on my hands, I would like to do something productive. I was thinking maybe learning how to run a dental business on my own would be a good start, (but I feel as though they teach you that at Rutgers...) or maybe even just getting familiar with some of the dental terms and content. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do on my spare time? I would like to be as prepared as possible for dental school, so I decided to look for helpful input on here!

In other words, if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks!

-Flyingpenguin222
Everything dental related you will learn in school. I admire your tenacity and eagerness to get the ball rolling, but take a step back, be proud of your recent accomplishments, and decompress before the storm.

Reactions: 2 users
Everything dental related you will learn in school. I admire your tenacity and eagerness to get the ball rolling, but take a step back, be proud of your recent accomplishments, and decompress before the storm.
would you say that the best thing I can do for myself is to not think about dental school until it actually starts?

would you say that the best thing I can do for myself is to not think about dental school until it actually starts?

I would say don't worry about dental related material, but if you have old anatomy and biochem notes, you can probably study a little here and there. A lot of people will tell you to relax or travel, which is fine, but it's also a good idea to get a little bit of a head start.

I would say don't worry about dental related material, but if you have old anatomy and biochem notes, you can probably study a little here and there. A lot of people will tell you to relax or travel, which is fine, but it's also a good idea to get a little bit of a head start.
I agree! I had trouble in biochem as an undergrad. I can't imagine it being any easier in dental school.
Would you say that dental anatomy and physiology and biochem are the hardest classes in dental school?

That sounds exciting! Travelling is something I can't afford at the moment as much as I'd like to. Where in Southeast Asia?

Yeah finances would be tight for me too. I'm planning on doing one of those arrangements where you work for someone for 15-20 hrs/week, and in exchange, they give you free room and board. Usually it involves something simple like house-sitting/watering plants or working as a front desk agent at a hostel. Give and take, ya know?

I've got my eye on Thailand right now. Beautiful scenery, great food, lots to explore, and very low-cost.

Yeah finances would be tight for me too. I'm planning on doing one of those arrangements where you work for someone for 15-20 hrs/week, and in exchange, they give you free room and board. Usually it involves something simple like house-sitting/watering plants or working as a front desk agent at a hostel. Give and take, ya know?

I've got my eye on Thailand right now. Beautiful scenery, great food, lots to explore, and very low-cost.
Oh! Are you wwoofing?

I agree! I had trouble in biochem as an undergrad. I can't imagine it being any easier in dental school.
Would you say that dental anatomy and physiology and biochem are the hardest classes in dental school?
I guess it really depends where you go, but I can surely say that these classes are taught at a much faster pace in dental school. That's why I think it's a good idea to get that head start. So ya anatomy, physio and biochem.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it really depends where you go, but I can surely say that these classes are taught at a much faster pace in dental school. That's why I think it's a good idea to get that head start. So ya anatomy, physio and biochem.
yup kk. Those classes are much harder than microbio, histology, dental neuroscience and pathology right? Those I can worry about in dental school..yes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I've never heard of that. Just googled it. It looks pretty cool. Do you think you can find work for just 3-4 months?

Here's an example: https://www.workaway.info/139678193792-en.html
Work 5 hrs/day for 5 days/week on a GORGEOUS island in Thailand. Just helping out with the Hostel. It's right on the beach. Lots of tourists. The rest of your time is yours. Do whatever you want.

Free room + one meal/day (which is not an issue since you can get really good food for $1-2/meal in Thailand anyways).

This one is for one month. But I bet I could extend it or find something similar for the remaining three months.

I'm also into teaching, and there are plenty of positions for people who speak English and want to teach it...similar kind of deal.

Last edited:
Work 5 hrs/day for 5 days/week on a GORGEOUS island in Thailand. Just helping out with the Hostel. It's right on the beach. Lots of tourists. The rest of your time is yours. Do whatever you want.

Free room + one meal/day (which is not an issue since you can get really good food for $1-2/meal in Thailand anyways).

This one is for one month. But I bet I could extend it or find something similar for the remaining three months.

I'm also into teaching, and there are plenty of positions for people who speak English and want to teach it...similar kind of deal.
Oh wow! I found one in Quebec... Dude, this is such a good idea! It's also better than wwoofing. If you wwoof, they expect you to work pretty much full time at their farms.. being an au pair is also a full time job.

Oh wow! I found one in Quebec... Dude, this is such a good idea! It's also better than wwoofing. If you wwoof, they expect you to work pretty much full time at their farms.. being an au pair is also a full time job.

^ Exactly. Plus this gives you more options than just working on a farm. If you want to work on a farm, you can still do that as a Workawayer, but there are lots of other opportunities.

You get to explore a new place, live for free, and really integrate into the daily life while not overcommitting your time.

Hmm....Let's see what Hawaii has to offer :D

Reactions: 1 users
^ Exactly. Plus this gives you more options than just working on a farm. If you want to work on a farm, you can still do that as a Workawayer, but there are lots of other opportunities.

You get to explore a new place, live for free, and really integrate into the daily life while not overcommitting your time.

Hmm....Let's see what Hawaii has to offer :D
hahhaha I have a final tomorrow that I'm supposed to be studying for.

but I'm having trouble concentrating now. lol thanks to you.

Haha well you know what? I have a final too that I can't study for- because you're enabling my bad behavior.

Seriously, good luck tomorrow. I'm going to log off now and go cram.

Haha well you know what? I have a final too that I can't study for- because you're enabling my bad behavior.

Seriously, good luck tomorrow. I'm going to log off now and go cram.
lolll kk good night! Good luck to you too.

You'll be fine. Just try and enjoy your last 7 months. Get a job if you have to so you can save up some money to travel or something. You don't need to get a head start in anything. Make a list of things you want to do, and go do them. Dental school is hectic, you have free time now. Live a life time in those few months,

My gf took me on a europe cruise. Those can be very economical.

Also look into http://www.efcollegebreak.com

Nice! which cruise line?

NCL. Really an awesome experience, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Free food, free nightly entertainment. Just a moving hotel while you go from dock to dock.

NCL. Really an awesome experience, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Free food, free nightly entertainment. Just a moving hotel while you go from dock to dock.

Yeah cruises are fantastic. Which ports did you stop at?
Do you remember the ship's name?

Yeah cruises are fantastic. Which ports did you stop at?
Do you remember the ship's name?

Think it was the Jewel.

It was two weeks. Rome, Venice,naples, florence/pisa, barcelona, athenes, mykonos, istanbul, another place in turkey that i can't remember,

This is good travel advice... I'm trying to get my bf to travel before I start DS in the fall...

Money isn't the problem with him, he's just hard to make plans with, most of our trips have been booked maybe a week in advanced, which is hard for me because I like planning things out in advanced!

Money isn't the problem with him, he's just hard to make plans with, most of our trips have been booked maybe a week in advanced, which is hard for me because I like planning things out in advanced!

Ah well, hopefully with you going to dental school, he'll get a spark in his ass lol. I did a lot with my gf during my break and still wish I did more. DS can be time consuming, at least for the first 2 years.

Just another question on top of OP's question.. Which books do u suggest for Anatomy? (I never took anatomy in undergrad so I want to look over it briefly.)

yup kk. Those classes are much harder than microbio, histology, dental neuroscience and pathology right? Those I can worry about in dental school..yes?

Yes, correct. And as you can see already you'll get people on here telling you not to get a head start on studying and to travel instead. Which again is fine, but you will definitely not want to waste your time studying things you could have already brushed up on prior to starting D school, and put your time more toward your hand skills or other weaknesses.

I'd recommend just watching the Anatomy and Physiology videos on www.khanacademy.org if you are bored and want to do something productive.

You will likely start school with oral anatomy, which is a big part of the first board exam. this dudes videos are pretty good if you use the Internet to help you understand them.

Studying some general things can't hurt you, but the reality is that without tests and deadlines, you won't even put a small dent in what you will learn D1. Enjoy the rest of your year! Congrats on getting in.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd recommend just watching the Anatomy and Physiology videos on www.khanacademy.org if you are bored and want to do something productive.

You will likely start school with oral anatomy, which is a big part of the first board exam. this dudes videos are pretty good if you use the Internet to help you understand them.

Studying some general things can't hurt you, but the reality is that without tests and deadlines, you won't even put a small dent in what you will learn D1. Enjoy the rest of your year! Congrats on getting in.

Thanks! I never took Anatomy course so I was a bit worried.. I will definitely look into it:)

I was in a similar scenario. I bought the book dental anatomy, physiology, and occlusion. It was very helpful to already be familiar with mesial/distal/buccal/Lingual cusp groove ridge and to start the visualization process. Don't burn out or its counter productive, but getting one of these books in ~350pages shouldn't be too difficult in 7 months. Definitely refuel your tank though, get in shape, and yes, relish in your acceptance!

I was in a similar scenario. I bought the book dental anatomy, physiology, and occlusion. It was very helpful to already be familiar with mesial/distal/buccal/Lingual cusp groove ridge and to start the visualization process. Don't burn out or its counter productive, but getting one of these books in ~350pages shouldn't be too difficult in 7 months. Definitely refuel your tank though, get in shape, and yes, relish in your acceptance!
Which book did u used for?

Just another question on top of OP's question.. Which books do u suggest for Anatomy? (I never took anatomy in undergrad so I want to look over it briefly.)

Netter's and Rohen

Congrats on getting in. I plan to buy a plane ticket to Southeast Asia and spend a good three to four months backpacking/working there and having an amazing adventure the summer before dental school.
me too man, maybe we will see each other

Which book did u used for?
Wheeler's dental anatomy is the only book you should use for dental anatomy and occlusion. It teaches you exactly what you need to know for boards.

If you REALLY want to study up (which I'd advise against) I'd study head and neck anatomy. Especially the paths of the veins and their drainage which is so hard to get down at an advanced speed. Also memorize your cranial nerves and their innervation. This is easy to do on your own since it's just memorization.
Saying which class is hardest in dental school is so variable. I really wouldn't exert yourself brushing up on ALL of biochem, etc since they'll highlight what you need to know in dental school. Maybe review glycolysis?
As for anatomy books we use moore's clinical anatomy but I also bought netters for drawings and rohen for dissection, like the previous post said. :)

Actually, biochem was easier for me in dental school. The exams were all multiple choice here, and most of the teachers were fair. How hard a class is largely dependent on how well you're taught and your work ethic. I agree with the others - relax and enjoy yourself.

This sounds incredible. I would have loved to have this experience - nice find! Just going to have to wait till I'm a dentist in the Army to travel some cool places to work :D

Just going to have to wait till I'm a dentist in the Army to travel some cool places to work :D

:D I've spoken with my fair share of Army dentists (about 9-10), and if there is one thing I know, it's that you're never going to run out of stories to tell. Are you thinking of going to Hawaii for your 45 day annual training?

:D I've spoken with my fair share of Army dentists (about 9-10), and if there is one thing I know, it's that you're never going to run out of stories to tell. Are you thinking of going to Hawaii for your 45 day annual training?

I'd love to go to Hawaii! I haven't actually looked into how selective we can be for our active duty time, but if I can choose Hawaii, I'd be all over it. You know some guys that went there?

I'd love to go to Hawaii! I haven't actually looked into how selective we can be for our active duty time, but if I can choose Hawaii, I'd be all over it. You know some guys that went there?

Yep. I think if you want it, you can have it. A nice 45 day all-expenses paid vacation to Hawaii, courtesy of the US Army.

Wheeler's dental anatomy is the only book you should use for dental anatomy and occlusion. It teaches you exactly what you need to know for boards.
They actually write the test based off Wheeler's.

D1 here

Best advice : practice indirect vision

Other than that, good to goo mate! ;)