Aug 3, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student, Pharmacist
Omg! The insanity!!!

MatCauthon

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2008
Status
$46 sounds about right from the offers I've been hearing. What's funny is that some of the techs making $30 per hour at Kaiser on a 40 hour week are making almost as much as these pharmacists working 30 hours per week making $46.

The saturation hasn't fully hit yet either. The 15,000 new grads this year are going to keep driving that price down if they are accepting those rates. I predict pay will drop into low $40's possibly even the high 30's.

I made a thread a few months ago asking if people were ok making 83k per year working 32 hours a week. Guess that employers saw that thread and the number of people that said they were be happy to accept 83k per year. Then they lowered it even more. Read through this post and tell me I wasn't dead on.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018
$46 sounds about right from the offers I've been hearing. What's funny is that some of the techs making $30 per hour at Kaiser are making almost as much as these pharmacists working 30 hours per week.

The saturation hasn't fully hit yet either. The 15,000 new grads this year are going to keep driving that price down if they are accepting those rates. I predict pay will drop into low $40's.
With much less liability too

Old

7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
95k a year for full time employment. $46/hour. And that 95k is assuming 40 hours, only guaranteed 30. One classmate had the same offer, and another was offered part-time 20 hours/week.

At 30 hours that's 70k/year.

Is this rate for the graduate/pre-licensed rate or after you are licensed?

Timbo

7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
They'll just take the next person in line.
Then it's the next person's loss. $70k per year with loan payments actually comes out to less than $50k most likely. Did you go to pharmacy school to make less than what someone with a bachelor's does? You had the guts to take the risk of going to pharmacy school, take out massive loans and invest 4 years of your life. Why lose your balls all of a sudden now that you've graduated? Aim higher.

May 28, 2018
Then it's the next person's loss. $70k per year with loan payments actually comes out to less than $50k most likely. Did you go to pharmacy school to make less than what someone with a bachelor's does? You had the guts to take the risk of going to pharmacy school, take out massive loans and invest 4 years of your life. Why lose your balls all of a sudden now that you've graduated? Aim higher.
You can still try. They will still say no. They will then proceed to the next person in line. Why? Because they literally can.

Reactions: TikiTorches

FlavyFlav

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Wow... after insurance, 401k, HSA deductions, taxes, etc. I take home about that much per hour. I don't want to think about what your take home will be at 46 an hour gross. What the hell is the point of going to pharmacy school and coming out 300k in debt? At least IBR and REPAYE are still around...

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
And people would downvote posts like these to oblivion on Reddit. Smh...

This is why Reddit is terrible. On here all of you are forced to see my rambling thoughts.

Reirrac

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
This is such a great time for hiring managers to employ pharmacists at bargain prices and get praised for lowering labor costs further. I can't think of a counterplay to this game.

Reactions: TikiTorches

stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
Happy Hunger Games.

Apr 18, 2018
Status
Pharmacist
This is such a great time for hiring managers to employ pharmacists at bargain prices and get praised for lowering labor costs further. I can't think of a counterplay to this game.
The counterplay to the game is obvious- no one should work for them for that money. No one should go into the pharmacy profession anymore simply because of the insult it has become to admit you're a pharmacist. But the flood of naive new grads only feeds into this crap. They are forging the chains to their own slavery. Hard to even feel sorry for them... This thread should be on the pre-pharm forum. BEHOLD YOUR FUTURE, SNOWFLAKES!!!

tlh908

15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2002
Indiana
Status
Pharmacist
My wife is a nurse making 43 an hour, she received a 3% raise this year. She only went to school 2 years and has her employer pay for bachelors. Good luck to those entering school this fall. She is offered new positions with sign on bonuses all the time.

mentos

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
What's better $70k per year or $0 per year? There's literally a thousand people who will take the offer if they don't. If you're a new grad with 6 figure debt then you have no choice. Can't say we didn't see this coming.

mentos

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
The counterplay to the game is obvious- no one should work for them for that money. No one should go into the pharmacy profession anymore simply because of the insult it has become to admit you're a pharmacist. But the flood of naive new grads only feeds into this crap. They are forging the chains to their own slavery. Hard to even feel sorry for them... This thread should be on the pre-pharm forum. BEHOLD YOUR FUTURE, SNOWFLAKES!!!
They won't listen anyway. They'll say "I know a P4 who got an offer for $60/hr so that's what I'll get in 4-6 years", call us liars and trolls, say we have no evidence, or say they are tougher and have more grit than the rest of us!

Old

7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
95k a year for full time employment. $46/hour. And that 95k is assuming 40 hours, only guaranteed 30. One classmate had the same offer, and another was offered part-time 20 hours/week.

At 30 hours that's 70k/year.

Again I ask. Is this the graduate pharmacist rate before being licensed rather than after you are licensed? If so, it would seem normal. Which one was it before everyone goes off the rails here

Jan 9, 2019
Again I ask. Is this the graduate pharmacist rate before being licensed rather than after you are licensed? If so, it would seem normal. Which one was it before everyone goes off the rails here
Grad interns make somewhere between $25-35 an hour. Maybe that’s dropping too.

mentos

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
No grad intern is getting paid $46/hr, are you crazy? That means they'll get $92/hr as a pharmacist, that never happened and never will.

Saiyo

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
BFE
My wife is a nurse making 43 an hour, she received a 3% raise this year. She only went to school 2 years and has her employer pay for bachelors. Good luck to those entering school this fall. She is offered new positions with sign on bonuses all the time.
Our life choices have been bad and we should indeed feel bad....

MatCauthon

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2008
Status
City and state? This number is somewhat meaningless without associated COL numbers
i know of big metropolitan areas that were in the 60s and already down in the high 40s now in just 2 years. others will confirm what i have said and some of these areas will be near to you in California, but maybe not in California yet.

• Love
Reactions: Modest_anteater

Sine Cura

10 seconds or less
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
It's just a matter of time before retail starting rates in metro areas of California fall below 60/hr.

Reactions: Modest_anteater

mentos

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
This thread just goes to show everyone joined this profession for the money.

Next time do something you're compassionate about.
But according to pre-pharms they are passionate about helping people. There was a poll earlier and no one chose money as the reason they chose pharmacy.

Reactions: minzi

emergentmd

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
How many years it takes to finish school, large sacrifices, or large debt have little to do with what you will get paid. It is all about supply and demand. This is It.

Just like the value of anything in life. If supply outstrips demand, prices go down.

If you are pumping more pharmacists out a year than there are slots, it won't matter how good of a student/pharmacist you are.

They are a business. If they can cut $10/hr and increase profit then they will cut. Why would any business owner not cut to $40/hr if they can find decent pharmacist readily? I know if I owned a pharmacy, I would.

If amazon ever goes into pharmacy and can deliver meds in 2 dys with similar pricing then $40/hr will be the new high. I can see it driven down to $20/hr at B&M pharmacies. Someone will take the job and that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018
The counterplay to the game is obvious- no one should work for them for that money.
bUt 300K sTUdEnT lOaNz

City and state? This number is somewhat meaningless without associated COL numbers
I think $46/h and only 30h/week guaranteed is low for anywhere in US for a pharmacist job...
Albeit it makes it worse for high COL areas... I hope it's not in SF, LA, SEA, NYC, etc...

This thread just goes to show everyone joined this profession for the money.

Next time do something you're compassionate about.
6 figure is still not enough for the **** that I have to deal with...
But it could be worse, I don't take it for granted.

Reactions: penichillin

gwarm01

7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
YIKES. That was my rate at a cushy inpatient pharmacy job like five years ago.

The rhetoric used to be that you went retail for money, inpatient for comfort/more clinical work, but you sacrifice pay. It almost feels unfair that my current job is higher paying and less stressful than what the new grads are getting now.

My previous job was in one of the lowest COL cities in the entire US, and I still made at least 15% more than this working for a non-profit hospital. That rate is brutal. I wonder how long it will take to creep into the inpatient world, or if our higher barrier to entry will shield us?

Why does California get such high rates? COL in NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago etc are just as expensive.
I was always told it was due to the Kaiser union pharmacists negotiating higher pay. The overall pharmacist job market had to shift to compete. The truth is probably more nuanced than that.

Reactions: penichillin

wagrxm2000

Think before responding to this.
2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Yeah- anyone who says they have "passion" for pharmacy should have their head examined. That's like saying you have a passion for being a grocery store checkout clerk...
That's the difference between you young bucks and us long term pharmacists.

If you can't find time to enjoy your job, you are doing something wrong.

You may now bring up how that isn't possible if you would like.

Reactions: projektreverb