A Couple of VMCAS/LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bclover

UIUC-CVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search but haven't come across what I was looking for, (& thought that I had read here before, too), so...

Does anyone have an opinion about the impact of selecting whether or not you waive the right of access to the applicant evaluation on the VMCAS Eval. Form, and what impact it may have on the evaluator and subsequent LOR?

Please refresh my memory: Am I correct in thinking that you can "open" your VMCAS "account" and work on it online for sometime (like all summer if you want :D) before submitting it? - Is that too risky in that an accidental miscue might send it before complete? :eek: [Or are there safeguards to prevent fat-finger syndrome ruining your application?]

Thanks!

P.S. Is anyone else finding it difficult to focus on finals with such important and exciting things to be working on? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

1) About the LORs: I was strongly encouraged to "waive my right to view" them from a vet friend. Apparently, by waiving the right, they know that the evaluator wasn't going to by "shy" about mentioning negative things to the adcom, b/c the student wouldn't ever know anyway. SO, if you have great evaluators lined up, that you trust and know for certain will write you a fantastic letter - you should, by all means, waive your right. 2 of my 3 evaluators emailed me their letters anyway after they submitted them.... (I didn't ask them to).

2) You can (and should) open your VMCAS account a few months before the deadline, and work on your app piece-by-piece. You can't accidentally submit it, as long as you haven't entered your credit-card info. The last thing you'll do when ready to submit the app, is enter the credit card/billing info... and, if memory serves me, I believe it confirms "are you sure you are ready to submit this application" before finally sending it.

3) If you are having trouble focusing on your finals now, try focusing on your finals this time next year (once you are accepted, but have to "pass" your spring courses...eww...:p ) ... I have a final in 3 hours, I shouldn't be on the computer... but.... I sat down with good intentions. :laugh:

Thanks, AuburnPreVet, and good luck on your finals!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Bclover

As for eLORs: Everyone (your reviewer and the admissions) sees that you did not waive the right to read the recommendation---consider what message that sends to the adcoms... I haven't heard anything saying they have a bias, but one would think your reviewer might not be as honest or would hold back on sharing your weaknesses in their letter. I think adcom's are looking for a balanced analysis of your qualities that might be missing in an nonwaived letter.

As for working on your application, yet you can log on multiple times and work on it in bits....It's very clear where the final submission button is (especially since you have to pay at that time). Since the system can get bogged down with users, I recommend starting fairly early and occasionally printing off hardcopies.

Good Luck!!!

Hey Bclover! I can't stress this enough! START EARLY! Now, if you can! I left everything until the last second, and boy - was that a mistake! Get the easy stuff done now - courses you've taken, and grades you got...etc. Begin work on the personal statement, and show it to others to get advice.

As for the waiving the right to see the elor stuff - I agree with Auburn and Pennymare. Though no school really says anything about this, the simple fact is that it just looks better if they think you're not gonna see it. Besides, if you are going to trust someone enough to write an elor for you, then you know what they will have to say is all good!

I have had two tests in the past two weeks, and didn't study enough for either. I should be studying now, and yet... there is no known cure for "super-senioritis". :D

I did not waive my right to see my LORs. I know some people say that you should, but I wanted access to my LORs if I didn't get in. I don't think it really matters, but there are some extensive threads in pre-med on this. There was pretty much a 50/50 split where some advisors say don't waive and some say do. It's really up to you.

I did a quick search but haven't come across what I was looking for, (& thought that I had read here before, too), so...

Does anyone have an opinion about the impact of selecting whether or not you waive the right of access to the applicant evaluation on the VMCAS Eval. Form, and what impact it may have on the evaluator and subsequent LOR?QUOTE]

I didn't waive my rights either. Not a concern that my evaluators would write something inappropriate or whatever. More a concern that something would happen with VMCAS and there would be a problem. Long story but once done there was no way on VMCAS to choose to see the letters. So I called and VMCAS told me you can refuse to waive but you still can't see them. Huh? The punchline - one of my evaluators did have a problem. Thankfully when he submitted he noticed the problem. He had to call VMCAS and have them reset his eLOR to fix it. Ugh!

SO don't bother just waive your rights as you won't have access to the information anyway.

I did not waive my right, either. I got in, so it didn't hurt me any.

as soon as the vmcas opens, work on it bit by bit. when filling out animal and vet experience, think back to middle school and even before.
*that's a piece of advice i got from a doc who was told that his first year applying and not getting in. *
i put down everything that had to do with animals -pet sitting my neighbor's cats when i was 10, regularly walking and feeding and grooming our family dog as a child, mucking stalls at a friend's barn, etc. There were still things I forgot to put on the list, even after writing down stuff daily.

The biggest pain on the vmcas was the letter restriction. only 250 characters per entry. i had to omit so much info b/c of that. good luck and don't stress about it, just try to remember every time you touched an animal ;)

oh yea- i waived my right, too. that way, the docs/teachers could be as honest as they wanted w/o thinking i'll be offended, etc. i think it shows that i trust their opinions and knows they'll say good things about me (i hope they did... :oops:)

I waived my right too. I didn't really consider how the schools felt about but wanted to make sure that my LOR's didn't feel any unnecessary pressure from me to say good things. I just trusted them. Its your personal choice though.

I would definitely waive your right to see what's written. There is no reason not to. If you don't trust the evaluator to give you a good recommendation, don't ask them to give you one. period.

I am a non-traditional student and am just getting my last few pre-req's in before applying. B/c I already have a BS, I am only taking a few classes and not spending much time with any professors/advisors. So, will it hurt me if I don't have a professor as one of my LOR's?

check with the schools you are applying to. Most specify who they want the LOR from ie two vets and one professor, one vet, one professor, one employer

How many years out are you? Have you stayed in touch with professors from your previous institution? That's what I did. I had stayed in touch with a professor from my first degree and just got him to write it. Also, maybe if your school has a pre-vet advisor you could get to know that person.

I am a non-traditional student and am just getting my last few pre-req's in before applying. B/c I already have a BS, I am only taking a few classes and not spending much time with any professors/advisors. So, will it hurt me if I don't have a professor as one of my LOR's?

I was a nontraditional applicant too (who got accepted at 3 out of 4 schools) and didn't have any professors from my B.S. degree as LOR's. I had a vet, current boss, and previous grad school advisor. I don't think its necessarily a strike against you to not have any profs as a LOR.

I just had my post-mortem talk with the admissions director at UC Davis today and asked her about this. She said that a letter from a prof, in my case, is not as useful as a letter from someone who has seen me work in a veterinary capacity. Definitely check with the school(s) you're applying to, though!