This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The cycle has opened for the class of 2028 and below is the obligatory unsolicited advice post that is necessary every year. These points are based on the most common questions that seem to roll around every year.

1. Consider yourself rejected until you receive an acceptance. As such, do not stop working on your application after you hit submit. Continue to gain hours, improve or maintain those grades, and do everything you would do before turning it in.
- It is an urban myth most veterinary students take multiple cycles for acceptance. The AAVMC reports that approximately 65-70% of incoming first year veterinary students are first time applicants. Make your application count.

2. You don't have to turn in your app right meow. There is no advantage to turning your application in early for the vast majority of schools. So turn it in when its ready.

3. Updates are school dependent. So ask them. Be aware you will likely get a generic answer with vague timelines.

4. Personal pets are worth limited hours (school dependent). Be realistic about how many hours you assign for pet ownership.

5. Prerequisites are prerequisites. If a school doesn't require it, don't feel you have to take it. If a school does require, 99% of people will need to take it at 99% of schools 99% of the time. The majority of schools will not forgive/replace a prerequisite for the majority of applicants. The only way you'll know is if you email schools about your specific situation.
- Do not be surprised if you're rejected from a school due to prerequisites not being met if you haven't taken it and have not listed it as planned. How do the schools know you'll have it done otherwise?

6. GPA cut offs are a thing. If you submit below a published GPA cut off, you just made a donation to the school.

7. There will be radio silence for extended periods of time. Mentally prepare yourself to not hear from anyone for months at a time.
- This is a serious point. You will not get updates willy nilly. There are thousands of you and only dozens of admissions committee members per school. Check old threads for basic timelines.

8. You need to submit a transcript from every higher education institution you attended. Community college while also in high school? Add to VMCAS and submit. Junior college 3 years ago before a gap year? Submit. 7 colleges cause you had to move a bunch? Submit.

9. Provisional accreditation doesn't matter for the baby schools. As long as you pass the NAVLE and graduate, the AVMA will recognize your degree and you'll be a veterinarian. Deficient accreditation in the older schools also doesn't really matter. Every school has lapsed in some sort of accreditation standard at some point. They get x amount of time to resolve it and the resolution generally only benefits students.

10. Only apply to schools where you would 1) be willing/able to travel to for interviews and 2) would actually go if accepted. Actually sit down and think about what you would do if you were accepted to every school. As a (common) example, dont apply to the island schools just because of their reputation for being "easier" to get into; actually consider what it would mean to move to an island nation and those pros and cons.
- Every year, a portion of students gain an acceptance and a subsequent level of stress of actually realizing they will have to move to said place. If the coasts, midwest, cold, hot, rural, big city, whatever difference from where you live that may actually be a challenge for you would be, don't apply to those schools. Don't waste your money/time.

11. Changing residency status by moving states: triple check the rules and get the exact requirements in writing from the university. Not the CVM or SVM. From the actual department at the university that controls residency status. The vet school doesn't determine that at all. Assume the worst: you would have to move a year prior to the *submission* of your application. Cause then, if you in fact don't have to be there until a year before *matriculation*, you're covered.
- You can assume someone has moved to such-and-such state to change residency. It just makes sense with how many people apply and attend vet school. Whether or not they're on SDN is hit or miss because there are really probably <100 active members on with probably 50% changing out year over year as people move on. So assume it's possible, it's been done, and, most importantly, *do the research yourself to find out the rules*. Every state is different and rules can change yearly due to state legislation.

12. No one single minutiae detail is likely to tank your application with exception of potentially legality aspects or an obvious (to the application committee) "red flag" . One C, or even one F, will likely not be the death knell of your application if you're overall well rounded. Only 15 hours of cow experience will not get you tossed in the garbage can.
- Focusing on these minutiae outside of the context of your overall application is not good for your mental health. If you have the thought of "Will X thing hurt my chances?" take a minute to consider the literally over 100,000 veterinarians practicing right now and think of the chances that some of them may have had a similar experience. If the answer is, "I guess this circumstance isn't all that unique to me," then chances are that thing won't tank your application.

13. No one can tell you the chances of being pulled from the wait-list. It changes every year for every school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Bumping this because it’s great advice for those applying in the upcoming cycle! A few other notes:

Related to points 3 & 7: Some schools like for you to send updates about your accomplishments/what you've been doing since submitting and some don't want that. Check their website to see if they indicate one way or the other.

On point 5/prerequisites: start checking prerequisites early and look for things beyond the course title. Does the course have to be at a 4-year institution? Does the course need to cover specific material? Are online/correspondence courses allowed? Are labs required for science courses? Does the school accept AP credits? Make a list of the hoops to jump through and email admissions about them as early as possible.

On point 1: I keep seeing people list the statistic that 65-70% of incoming students are first-time veterinary applicants, but that’s different from saying that most students get in their first try. Most students get denied their first try, and most that get denied don’t apply again so we have no idea what would happen to them if they did reapply. I agree that you should always put your best effort into your application, but if you happen to be a re-applicant don’t feel discouraged. The 2021 annual AAVMC report indicates that only ~20% or so of applicants are re-applicants. If it’s true that 30-35% (the remainder of the 65-70% stat) of incoming students are re-applicants from that pool of 20%, then that’s good news! That means re-applicants are disproportionately represented among incoming students. (This AAVMC survey report is also interesting, but only covers data for a portion of applicants from 2019. It notes that there is seemingly no difference in admission between first-time applicants and re-applicants).

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone,

My brother is applying to vet school and I’ve been helping him out with it since I recently applied to med school. The main difference between our apps is the high school experiences. I’m unsure rather he should include smaller things like FFA awards, sports awards, livestock awards, and scholarships from high school. It was much easier for me to choose my experiences considering I had much fewer than him from college only. I feel like it’s worth mentioning that he doesn’t have many (if any) significant awards from college lol.

TL;DR: should you include awards from high school that aren’t super impressive?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's no reason not to. It shows his involvement with extracurriculars and such. Programs can always choose to not look at things, but on the flip side, they can't know about something if they're not told about it.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone, I have a question about writing material that is included in the personal statement vs. supplemental essays.

In my personal statement I definitely want to mention my medical condition that I have been struggling with my whole life, and how I have overcome it to still be successful in vet med (I think that my writing will show my resiliency, and I know that the admissions committees will like that). Without being too specific, my medical condition affects my hands, therefore affecting almost everything I choose to do in life, so finding a temporary treatment option was an extremely big deal and turning point. I'm pretty good at storytelling and "showing but not telling", so the information I want to include will be concise and relevant. I wanted to start and end my PS with a narrative about my condition and how my struggle has given me the qualities to become a successful veterinarian. I have never really had a defining moment in my vet med career that made me realize that a vet was all I wanted to be in life, so I figured that describing a moment that made me realize that a career in veterinary medicine was actually realistic, and not just a dream, was the next best thing.

If you have read this far, thanks! Here's my issue now. For a lot of my supplemental essays they ask about a challenge I have faced in life and how I have overcome it or grown from it. My medical condition is by far the biggest challenge I have faced, so it would be fitting to further elaborate on that in these essays. However, if I am already mentioning this information in my PS, would it be looked down upon if I also wrote about it in my supplementals? Sure I could figure out how to write about other challenges I have faced, but again, my medical condition is the most significant one and probably the easiest to write about for me. I am fortunate enough and extremely grateful to have had a great support system throughout my life, and haven't really struggled in any other aspect.

Please let me know what you guys think. I am grateful for any and all advice given to me :)

However, if I am already mentioning this information in my PS, would it be looked down upon if I also wrote about it in my supplementals?
Think about it this way: all of the information that the admissions committee gets about you comes from your application. You can give them 2 different pieces of information about you, or you can tell them the same information in two different ways. Which sounds better for you as an applicant?

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone, I have a question about writing material that is included in the personal statement vs. supplemental essays.

In my personal statement I definitely want to mention my medical condition that I have been struggling with my whole life, and how I have overcome it to still be successful in vet med (I think that my writing will show my resiliency, and I know that the admissions committees will like that). Without being too specific, my medical condition affects my hands, therefore affecting almost everything I choose to do in life, so finding a temporary treatment option was an extremely big deal and turning point. I'm pretty good at storytelling and "showing but not telling", so the information I want to include will be concise and relevant. I wanted to start and end my PS with a narrative about my condition and how my struggle has given me the qualities to become a successful veterinarian. I have never really had a defining moment in my vet med career that made me realize that a vet was all I wanted to be in life, so I figured that describing a moment that made me realize that a career in veterinary medicine was actually realistic, and not just a dream, was the next best thing.

If you have read this far, thanks! Here's my issue now. For a lot of my supplemental essays they ask about a challenge I have faced in life and how I have overcome it or grown from it. My medical condition is by far the biggest challenge I have faced, so it would be fitting to further elaborate on that in these essays. However, if I am already mentioning this information in my PS, would it be looked down upon if I also wrote about it in my supplementals? Sure I could figure out how to write about other challenges I have faced, but again, my medical condition is the most significant one and probably the easiest to write about for me. I am fortunate enough and extremely grateful to have had a great support system throughout my life, and haven't really struggled in any other aspect.

Please let me know what you guys think. I am grateful for any and all advice given to me .:)
This is one reason why I tell anyone applying (and not just to medical school) to look at the supplemental prompts first. I'm glad you did that.

Usual advice says that you want to minimize completely repeating yourself from primary to secondary application essays. You can go into more detail if allowed by the question prompt.

Whenever I read personal statements, the usual task is to capture the important qualities the candidate has about his/her pursuit of the chosen profession, including key qualities that show this person is committed to the career. It is an advertisement to colleagues and future customers of what you offer.

So to that end, I am always a little wary about how the disability is supposed to portray a sense of confidence in your abilities to complete the curriculum. Look at the technical requirements. I say this because you need to be careful what you are showing/telling because often the message comes off completely different to the reader. How does disclosing this disability help you better gain the trust of the patients you are working with (and their humans)?

Hi, I am currently taking prerequisites for vet school and I'm finding it hard to find 1-2 schools that fit into my schedule. Does it matter if I take prerequisites from many different schools and submit around 8-9 transcripts total when I apply? Or do vet schools prefer a small number of transcripts?

Theoretically, it shouldn't matter... but a, that seems quite expensive, and b, is there a reason there would be 8 different schools? Maybe a little more background on the situation could be helpful for people to respond (if you are willing!)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I am currently taking prerequisites for vet school and I'm finding it hard to find 1-2 schools that fit into my schedule. Does it matter if I take prerequisites from many different schools and submit around 8-9 transcripts total when I apply? Or do vet schools prefer a small number of transcripts?
Nope, not at all. I had I believe 7 transcripts total between my original BA with study abroad, and taking classes at a number of different schools post-bacc to fulfill pre-requisites. I started in a very expensive structured post-bacc program, but then took single courses at multiple state universities & community colleges when I realized how much cheaper & convenient they were while working. Zero schools had any kind of problem with the amount of institutions, they just cared about my grades & that the colleges were accredited - and I was accepted to 4 & high-waitlisted to 2 vet schools, so it seemed to affect very little!

hi! I am a reapplicant (I applied last cycle and did not get in) and I had some questions and figured other reapplicants might also have some questions. I filled out an extenuating circumstances essay for my last application about medical interruptions during the COVID lockdown- I plan on including the same information in this cycle as well. Do I need to completely rewrite that essay even though nothing has changed or can I reuse my last one? Obviously I would not reuse a personal statement, but this is for the explanation statement. Thank you!

Hi everyone, I have some questions on how best to describe my experiences on VMCAS.

I worked in a diagnostic lab for 4 years, accumulating 3000+ hours of research experience and participating in at least 7 different major research projects. On top of the research I did countless necropsies, presented at a couple conferences, supervised/trained younger students, practiced animal husbandry, and more. My question is, how can I fit everything that I did into the 600 character experience description on VMCAS? Should I break up this experience into different listings for each major thing I did? For example, having the conferences I presented at listed as their own separate experiences, or my level of participation in each research project?

My roles/titles in the lab also shifted as time progressed. I started as a student volunteer, then a paid student research assistant, then a non-paid student getting credit for completing a thesis, and then I graduated and was hired back on as a full-time technician. I think I should at least separate these 4 titles into 4 different experience listings, however, a lot of my experiences overlap between them and I don't want to be redundant. Do I just decide which experiences to list under each title?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

I’m in a similar situation where my job involves a lot of different titles. I know they prefer that you split hours between direct veterinary work, research, and husbandry (listed as animal experience). Hopefully those separations can help with how to explain different parts of your duties.
I also was invoked with around the same number of research projects but since my job was primarily the same for each one, I counted it all as one experience with just briefly listing what the projects dealt with (FDA approvals, neuro work, etc) or who they were with if they were under different PIs. You can also use bullet points to explain which could cut down on character count as well.
I used some research projects in my supplemental essays and then was able to go into more detail there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked in a diagnostic lab for 4 years, accumulating 3000+ hours of research experience and participating in at least 7 different major research projects. On top of the research I did countless necropsies, presented at a couple conferences, supervised/trained younger students, practiced animal husbandry, and more.
This description is barely over 300 characters and I’ve gotten an idea of what you did, so surely you can succinctly elaborate a little about the most important parts? I wouldn’t divide it up if it’s essentially all one experience, just work on being succinct. Maybe you can format the experience sections as bullet points rather than complete sentences to save characters? If it’s that big of an experience in your life maybe find another place to talk about it in your app like in your personal statements.

Reactions: 4 users
I work at a clinic owned and run by 2 married DVMs. One is a surgeon and one more so a GP. Is it ok to ask them to write sort of a joint letter of rec since they are married/same practice? Or if I want both of them to contribute to the LOR, do I need to ask them both individually?

I work at a clinic owned and run by 2 married DVMs. One is a surgeon and one more so a GP. Is it ok to ask them to write sort of a joint letter of rec since they are married/same practice? Or if I want both of them to contribute to the LOR, do I need to ask them both individually?
It's perfectly fine to ask for a joint letter. I don't think you need two vet letters in admissions.

Anyone who has applied for the VMCAS fee waiver- how long did it take for it to be approved?

Mine was approved a day or two after submitting it!

Back in my day (lol) mine took less than 24 week day hours to be approved I believe.

Mine only took around 12 hours! I was sort of expecting it to take longer so it lit a fire under me to get it submitted early, but there's worse problems to have haha.

Once a recommendation is marked as completed on vmcas, is there a way to view it? I didn’t waive the right to view it and am having trouble finding information on how/when I could see it.

Thanks so much!

I'm not sure how you would view it but I would definitely get your right waived if you still can or request a new LOR from someone else with your right waived. It's seen as a red flag if you don't trust your recommender enough to waive your right to view it.

I'm not sure how you would view it but I would definitely get your right waived if you still can or request a new LOR from someone else with your right waived. It's seen as a red flag if you don't trust your recommender enough to waive your right to view it.
I had no idea that was seen as a red flag 🥲. Thanks for letting me know. I’ll see about waiving rights for the other recommendations

It’s not something you can view yourself in the application. I don’t remember if you’re supposed to request it from the school or straight from your writer, but I think your writer. I also don’t believe you can change if you waive it or not after requesting. I don’t know if you can cancel the request and resend for those other writers or not.

Hi everyone! I will be applying to schools this cycle, it will be my third cycle!
I made a pretty big move this past year and have been working at a clinic since last August. I work at a specialty clinic so I have been bounced around multiple departments when it’s needed, which is making me feel like I don’t have a solid relationship with one doctor. It has been really nice to be cross trained, and I know that skillset wise in the long run it will be super helpful. There is one doctor in mind that I feel would be able to attest to my abilities, but I have not asked her yet. I know I need to ask sooner than later as applications are due in about a month.
I wanted some advice for if this doctor, for whatever reason, was to say no. Is it frowned upon/not look good to ask a manager or a lead technician for a letter? I’m worried it may raise questions if I don’t have a letter from a doctor at this clinic and only a manager or lead shift. I do know that my manager would write one for me, though.
I am getting letters from previous doctors that I have worked with that are more than willing to resubmit my letter from my previous cycle!
Any advice is appreciated from anyone who has maybe been in this position, thank you in advance, and good luck to everyone that is applying this cycle 🩵

Hi everyone! I will be applying to schools this cycle, it will be my third cycle!
I made a pretty big move this past year and have been working at a clinic since last August. I work at a specialty clinic so I have been bounced around multiple departments when it’s needed, which is making me feel like I don’t have a solid relationship with one doctor. It has been really nice to be cross trained, and I know that skillset wise in the long run it will be super helpful. There is one doctor in mind that I feel would be able to attest to my abilities, but I have not asked her yet. I know I need to ask sooner than later as applications are due in about a month.
I wanted some advice for if this doctor, for whatever reason, was to say no. Is it frowned upon/not look good to ask a manager or a lead technician for a letter? I’m worried it may raise questions if I don’t have a letter from a doctor at this clinic and only a manager or lead shift. I do know that my manager would write one for me, though.
I am getting letters from previous doctors that I have worked with that are more than willing to resubmit my letter from my previous cycle!
Any advice is appreciated from anyone who has maybe been in this position, thank you in advance, and good luck to everyone that is applying this cycle 🩵
No, I don't think it's a problem if they can speak to a different skillset than your previous doctors might. One of my 4 letters was from a previous practice manager, and I think he was able to speak to my teamwork & communication skills more than my DVMs. I think that would be fine!

Heads up though, most folks will want a long lead time to write you a letter, I would ask for this letter now & possibly be prepared to write up some ideas/templates for this doctor to help them along...

No, I don't think it's a problem if they can speak to a different skillset than your previous doctors might. One of my 4 letters was from a previous practice manager, and I think he was able to speak to my teamwork & communication skills more than my DVMs. I think that would be fine!

Heads up though, most folks will want a long lead time to write you a letter, I would ask for this letter now & possibly be prepared to write up some ideas/templates for this doctor to help them along...

i know i’m definitely running on crunch time thank you so much for the advice!!

I am applying to vet school but have low experience hours (~360 vet hours and 100 animal experience). There are some opportunities I plan to do during the fall to gain more experience/diversity. Can I send schools updates of my hours once the September 18th deadline has passed? I think I've heard of students doing it but I'm unsure. If so, would you just send them an email with certain information?

I am applying to vet school but have low experience hours (~360 vet hours and 100 animal experience). There are some opportunities I plan to do during the fall to gain more experience/diversity. Can I send schools updates of my hours once the September 18th deadline has passed? I think I've heard of students doing it but I'm unsure. If so, would you just send them an email with certain information?
I was on a zoom info session last night with Minnesota and she mentioned that they can’t look at any hours not completed at the application deadline but continued experiences are a good thing to bring up in interviews. Not sure if it’s like this for other schools

You can add experiences up until sometime in October I believe, but you cannot edit or change past ones.

You *can* add experiences to vmcas, but it depends on whether the school will download your app a second time or not once you’ve updated it. Some download them all at once and don’t redownload if things are added after the deadline.

I have taken 2 classes online with UCSD extension as a non-degree earning student. I was wondering how you guys list your academic status for these classes. I was a junior in my 4-year university when I took them, so would I say I was a junior? Or a freshman?

I have taken 2 classes online with UCSD extension as a non-degree earning student. I was wondering how you guys list your academic status for these classes. I was a junior in my 4-year university when I took them, so would I say I was a junior? Or a freshman?
I did the same thing with a class through UF. I put the year I was in at my home university.

Hey friends! I have been wondering, for those of you that have to submit videos (like we do for UF), do they/should they be super uptight and serious or can we add a bit of humor to it?

Hey friends! I have been wondering, for those of you that have to submit videos (like we do for UF), do they/should they be super uptight and serious or can we add a bit of humor to it?
Do what's comfortable. You can absolutely be humorous while simultaneously being professional. Vet schools want people, not robots.

Hey everyone, for experiences as a reapplicant- I shadowed with the same clinic last summer and again this summer. I just can't decide whether it's best to separate them or combine them into one experience. I have been able to experience new cases and learn new skills but spanning it as one experience over a year doesn't feel right. It also seems excessive to make two similar entries for one location. Help?

Hi everyone! I am a second time applicant and have a question about if reapplying with very little new experiences will hurt my chances. For context I applied last cycle (my third year in college) and did get some interview offers the first time around, but didn’t get accepted. And since then I have not been able to go back to work due to school until now. The new experience would be from the same animal hospital, but starting from mid August so I won’t have that many new experiences to add. Will this affect my chances?

Hi everyone! I am a second time applicant and have a question about if reapplying with very little new experiences will hurt my chances. For context I applied last cycle (my third year in college) and did get some interview offers the first time around, but didn’t get accepted. And since then I have not been able to go back to work due to school until now. The new experience would be from the same animal hospital, but starting from mid August so I won’t have that many new experiences to add. Will this affect my chances?
Did you do file reviews with the programs you applied to last year? Where did they say your deficiencies were?

You may find posting in the What Are My Chances? subforum helpful, too.

Did you do file reviews with the programs you applied to last year? Where did they say your deficiencies were?

You may find posting in the What Are My Chances? subforum helpful, too.
Honestly I did not do file reviews, but am I still able to do them now? And I will definitely check out the WAMC thread. Thanks!

Has anyone submitted and had the feeling of "now what?"

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone submitted and had the feeling of "now what?"
See points 7 and 1:

7. There will be radio silence for extended periods of time. Mentally prepare yourself to not hear from anyone for months at a time.
- This is a serious point. You will not get updates willy nilly. There are thousands of you and only dozens of admissions committee members per school. Check old threads for basic timelines.

1. Consider yourself rejected until you receive an acceptance. As such, do not stop working on your application after you hit submit. Continue to gain hours, improve or maintain those grades, and do everything you would do before turning it in.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, for experiences as a reapplicant- I shadowed with the same clinic last summer and again this summer. I just can't decide whether it's best to separate them or combine them into one experience. I have been able to experience new cases and learn new skills but spanning it as one experience over a year doesn't feel right. It also seems excessive to make two similar entries for one location. Help?
I would list it as one experience
Honestly I did not do file reviews, but am I still able to do them now? And I will definitely check out the WAMC thread. Thanks!
You cannot do file reviews for the previous cycle at this point

Is it possible (smart) to request the same transcript twice? I'm taking a summer class in nutrition atm and grades will be available for it a couple days before the VMCAS deadline. I've already requested my transcript but it doesn't have that summer class on it... I don't know how much it matters. My main reason to want to submit transcripts twice is so that schools don't think I have more incomplete prereqs than I actually do

Is it possible (smart) to request the same transcript twice? I'm taking a summer class in nutrition atm and grades will be available for it a couple days before the VMCAS deadline. I've already requested my transcript but it doesn't have that summer class on it... I don't know how much it matters. My main reason to want to submit transcripts twice is so that schools don't think I have more incomplete prereqs than I actually do
I’ve always heard you have to submit every transcript so that every single class you’ve taken ever is reported.

How long does it usually take for applications to be verified? I just submitted tonight.

Do letters of rec need to be in before you are verified?

I'm not 100% positive because all of mine were turned in when I submitted it, so please double-check with vmcas.

However, I believe recs can submit whenever as long as it's before the Sept. 18 deadline. You cannot add any more requests for other recommenders if you submit so be sure 1. they will submit it and 2. that you will have 3 letters when the last one is submitted. Verification I think is mostly for your transcript entry.

I'm not 100% positive because all of mine were turned in when I submitted it, so please double-check with vmcas.

However, I believe recs can submit whenever as long as it's before the Sept. 18 deadline. You cannot add any more requests for other recommenders if you submit so be sure 1. they will submit it and 2. that you will have 3 letters when the last one is submitted. Verification I think is mostly for your transcript entry.
You actually can add requests for other recommenders up until the 18th whether you’re submitted or verified— I just did so this week. Also confirming that LoRs can be outstanding till the deadline, as long as you meet the minimum number requested and they’re in on time they have no bearing on status