a DO screwd by a MD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBEAR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine interviewed at a all MD group practice. They told him that he had the job. A week later they called him and stated that one of the MD's did not feel comfortable working with a DO. Whenever you have two different degrees competing in the same field you will always have these situations to some degree. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

When I first saw the topic of this thread, I thought it was posted by a DO that I shadow, who is married to an MD. :p

Seriously, tho, I think whatever happened, it's the exception not the rule.

This is the first case (if it's real) I have ever heard about a DO being discriminated by MDs. What happened to your friend? Did he end up finding job somewhere else or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like more information on this practice.

Why isn't your friend filing a law suit?

I mean, a group of doctors blatantly discriminating like that...cha-ching.

It seems that this post was started to stir up a conversation or controversy, or to help a future DO student feel more comfortable in the choice he/she has chosen by the responses that people would give to this post.

Oh well.

I too would be interested to see how your friend handled this. He should have gone to his state osteopathic association. I don't know about all states, but here in CA we have a law saying that it is illegal to discriminate based on a person's degree, MD or DO.

Sure, the person wouldn't want to work at such a closed-minded place, but he still should pursue it with the state association.

While I understand the team-building aspect of group homogeneity (is that a word?), I think any MD who would openly admit that a member of his/her team discriminates against other recognized professionals, as a group, is somewhat ******ed. Not just any MD but any professional period. Notwithstanding the issue of professional discrimination in principle. I think this DO should follow his/her legal recourse and use the monies gained to help him and me set up our own practice. :D

My friend had several other offers from other places but they were not as lucrative as the one previously mentioned. I don't think this kind of thing happens all the time but you can't be that naive to think that this does not go on at all. I think this espeially happens in states with no DO schools. Also in most states is this considered discrimination from a legal stand piont . People all the time don't hire people because they think the school they attended is not a very good school. Is this discrimination? When I think of discrimination, I think of race or religion not degrees or education. The reason I wrote this message is not to cause a controversey but to state some realities. In every profession there is always someone looking down on you. I bet to some extent that the harvard MDs look down upon the state MDs. I think this nonsense all stems from peoles insecurities. Nontheless, This issue is still a reality.

But actually it is. If you look at the medical practice act for most states, there is 9 times out of 10 a clause stating that hospitals, HMOs, and others cannot descriminate against physicians based on degree earned. The AOA was very aggressive politically and legally in these arenas way back in the 1960's. Your friend likely has legal recourse and I bet you there are a dozen lawyers who would be chomping at the bit to take a case like this because it is so straightforward...

For example, here's a recently revised nondescrimination law from Illinois:

(225 ILCS 62/5)
Sec. 5. Nondiscrimination.
(a) It is the policy of this State that holders of M.D. degrees and
D.O. degrees shall be accorded equal professional status and privileges
as physicians licensed to practice medicine in all its branches.
(b) It is the policy of this State that allopathic and osteopathic
health facilities shall be accorded equal status and privileges as
licensed hospitals.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no hospital
licensed under the Hospital Licensing Act, no health care service plan,
managed health care plan, health maintenance organization plan,
preferred provider plan, or managed competition plan, no policy of
disability insurance, no self-insured employer welfare benefit plan, no
health insurance purchasing cooperative, no other insurance policy,
plan, or arrangement for the purchase, payment, or reimbursement of
health care, and no agency of the State or of any municipality, county,
district, or other political subdivision of the State shall discriminate
with respect to employment, staff privileges, or the provision of, or
contracts for, professional services against a physician licensed to
practice medicine in all its branches on the basis of whether the
physician holds an M.D. or D.O. degree, his or her race, color, creed,
religion, sex, or national origin.
(d) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any hospital
licensed under the Hospital Licensing Act, whether allopathic or
osteopathic in identity, shall be deemed equal under the law. No health
care service plan, managed health care plan, health maintenance
organization plan, preferred provider plan, or managed competition plan,
no policy of disability insurance, no self-insured employer welfare
benefit plan, no health insurance purchasing cooperative, no other
insurance policy, plan, or arrangement for the purchase, payment, or
reimbursement of health care, and no agency of the State or of any
municipality, county, district, or other political subdivision of the
State shall discriminate with respect to the provision of, or contracts
for, health care or related services against a licensed hospital on the
basis of its identity as either an allopathic or osteopathic hospital.
(e) Whenever hospital medical staff requirements for staff
membership or department clinical privileges mandate that the physician
who has been granted privileges be certified or eligible for
certification by an appropriate American medical board, that hospital
must consider on an equal basis certification or eligibility for
certification by the appropriate American osteopathic board.
(f) Whenever an entity that contracts with physicians to provide
managed care or risk-based care requires that the physician who is
responsible for the contract be certified or eligible for certification
by an appropriate American medical board, the contract reference to an
American medical board shall be construed to include American
osteopathic boards on an equal basis when the contracting physician is
either an allopathic or osteopathic physician.
(g) Whenever an entity contracts with health facilities to provide
health care services, managed care, or risk-based care and requires that
those facilities be accredited by the Joint Commission for the
Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), the contract
reference to JCAHO accreditation shall be construed to include American
Osteopathic Association (AOA) accreditation on an equal basis.
(Source: P.A. 88-595, eff. 8-26-94.)

If it wasn't the fact that your friend was a DO than it would have been because he went to the wrong med school.

It sounds like this MD partner was just a jerk looking for the easiest excuse to not hire your friend. Why would anyone want to waste time suing this group? Unless there's something in writing, it's your friend's word against the partner's and that won't get him anywhere. So that job paid more, big deal. It would not have been worth working with such an ass. Some things are just not worth the money. Move on and find some place where you'll be accepted and appreciated.

Im not sure its helpful to bring up this isolated example of discrimination for a couple of reasons. First, it implies that it is more frequent that it really is, Secondly, it would suggest to MDs or their students that we actively look for these problems. I share your anger at this ONE example, but we also have to ask ourselve if MDs have ever been discriminated by our profession. Of course not regularly in the same way it doesnt regularly occur by theirs. The few times it does in theirs simply grabs more attention because they are the vast majority of physicians.

This story is kind of strange. Why would the group have even interviewed a DO if one of the partners doesn't like DOs?

All I can say is that I'm a partner with 3 MDs -- it's never been a problem.