A few questions about Orgo, LoR's, and Authorship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RandomChance

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

1.) In my undergrad I unfortunately got a C- in orgo 1 with lab, but received a A- in orgo 2 with lab the following semester. Would this orgo 2 with lab potentially fulfill the minimum "C" grade required in prerequisites for most MD schools? (I know every school is probably different in their policy - just asking generally). I start an SMP in a few months and I wanted to know if I would need to retake Orgo I with lab next summer before applying to med school or during my glide-year before matriculation.

2.) Should I get an LoR from the MD I shadowed 50+ hours? He's willing to write me a very strong LoR (we're very close), but I already have 3 science professor LoR's, my lab's PI's LoR (he's very well-known), and one non-science professor's LoR for school's that require them. I feel like 6 LoR's to have might be over-kill.. how important is it to have an LoR from a shadowed doctor? I know some DO schools require LoR's from shadowed physicians (some require DO letters, some take MD LoR's)

3.) Is authorship in peer-reviewed journals impactful if I am in the middle-to-latter position of the publication? I have been with a HMS lab for the past year and a half and I will leave the lab with 7-8 publications total, but my authorship position is almost always at author 4-6, but they are in respectable journals like Nature and Nature Neuroscience, etc. My highest authorship position is 3rd in a publication in the Anesthesia and Analgesia journal. Will these help my app even though I have no first/second authorships?

Many thanks for any insight!
 
Thanks for the reply! So for the schools that require one semester of orgo, I can’t use that second semester that I did well to supersede the first? I had success doing such with applying to SMP’s with that requirement, but medical schools are a different beast all together. I will definitely retake if I need too, but it will be hard if I am working full-time in my glide year and would love to avoid it if it all possible