A little light reading...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any of you or your friends unwisely considering Carbi schools:

If you encounter a paywall, your school's library should have a subscription to the NYT

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
To be clear, the sad reaction is not because I am considering one of these but because I am sad they take advantage of people like this. On the Google ads, it really bothers me how manipulative they are. They seem to take advantage of the reasons people mention on SDN for why they want to consider Caribbean schools or apply before they're ready.

Reactions: 3 users
i take the pre-health programs much less seriously when i see them allowing carribs to advertise in the halls. no thank u

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i take the pre-health programs much less seriously when i see them allowing carribs to advertise in the halls. no thank u
I certainly wasn’t responsible for ripping down a dozen of those and sending out a few hundred of their response cards with gibberish information written on them oh of course not.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Don't look now, but their marketing efforts extend far beyond the halls of some pre-health programs.

Before the pandemic, they paid their money and set up tables at med school fairs right along schools like Penn (not Penn State! :)). They are notorious for sending pre-health advisors from reputable 4-year UGs on all-expense paid trips to the Caribbean to check out the facilities. Acceptance at their schools are used to fluff the reported acceptance rates UGs advertise to prospective students, etc., etc., etc.

Yes, they are evil, but the American government allows them to exist, allows them to participate in the federal loan program, and the American medical establishment allows their graduates to enter American residency programs, so I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by taking a particular pre-health program less seriously. This is America, and money talks!! All we can do is try to educate those who are open to learning the truth. Beyond that, everyone is free to make their own mistakes, or to take their own calculated risks.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't look now, but their marketing efforts extend far beyond the halls of some pre-health programs.

Before the pandemic, they paid their money and set up tables at med school fairs right along schools like Penn (not Penn State! :)). They are notorious for sending pre-health advisors from reputable 4-year UGs on all-expense paid trips to the Caribbean to check out the facilities. Acceptance at their schools are used to fluff the reported acceptance rates UGs advertise to prospective students, etc., etc., etc.

Yes, they are evil, but the American government allows them to exist, allows them to participate in the federal loan program, and the American medical establishment allows their graduates to enter American residency programs, so I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by taking a particular pre-health program less seriously. This is America, and money talks!! All we can do is try to educate those who are open to learning the truth. Beyond that, everyone is free to make their own mistakes, or to take their own calculated risks.
Eh, not allowing IMGs to participate in American healthcare seems a push too far, especially if you include FMGs as well. Education, and premed advisors worth a **** are the way to go. Anyone up for making a credentialing body for premed advisors?

Reactions: 2 users
Eh, not allowing IMGs to participate in American healthcare seems a push too far, especially if you include FMGs as well. Education, and premed advisors worth a **** are the way to go. Anyone up for making a credentialing body for premed advisors?
I'm not one of those people carrying picket signs advocating for America First! :) I'm just saying that the government allows offshore, for-profit schools marketed to Americans to exist, so, it is what it is and there is no use complaining about them. If people don't do their due diligence, caveat emptor.

while it is the case that going the carib route is a terrible decision and they prey on ppl who aren't ready/dont know any better, its undeniable that it does at least produce some physicians that go on to practice in the US successfully. I think ppl should still have the right to make a stupid decision as long as they accept the potential consequences

while it is the case that going the carib route is a terrible decision and they prey on ppl who aren't ready/dont know any better, its undeniable that it does at least produce some physicians that go on to practice in the US successfully. I think ppl should still have the right to make a stupid decision as long as they accept the potential consequences
Yes, I know several who have been successful. It's high risk game and should be used as last option but it's a viable option.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if a Caribbean grad ever directly matched into neurosurgery in the US. Wonder if that's possible in this day and age lol.

For 2010, Adtalem secured 77.5% of their total revenue from Title IV Federal financial aid programs. Add Department of Defense and Veterans Affair education programs for another 3.4% and you have 80.9% of total revenue from federal education funds. The issue extends more broadly than just Ross and its family of programs (Chamberlain, OnCourse) as among the top 15 education companies on the stock market it is estimated that 86% of their total revenue for 2009 came from federal education assistance programs.

Note: More current data could not be found or readily accessed when writing this post.

https://www.help.senate.gov/imo/media/for_profit_report/PartII/DeVry.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if a Caribbean grad ever directly matched into neurosurgery in the US. Wonder if that's possible in this day and age lol.
At my instituion there’s a junior attending who matched here from the Carib and obviously now he’s faculty. I believe he’s from Canada? So that also kinda differentiates him from US-IMGs but still

i mean, i dont know how much i take the american govermnet seriously eihter, but theres only so much i can do about them

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users