A little question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daviddamoore

UK fool
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:

Suppose that due to strange circumstances you have a choice of two different application options (bear with me!):

1) Apply to enter 2006 with 35 MCAT and 3.47GPA (3.37 BCPM)
2) Spend an extra couple of thousand dollars and apply 2007 with 3.64 GPA (3.59 BCPM).

Is it going to make much difference assuming all other factors are constant? Would any of you wait a year to improve by that amount?

Members don't see this ad.

well, I pretty much AM #1, except my GPA is ~ 3.4 and I applied anyways. Eh, whatever happens will happen. Those GPA numbers can make a difference I'd assume, and that's definitely a big improvement. I just didn't feel like waiting a year extra, so I applied now :D

my impression (read hope) is that number one should be fine. it should be good enough to at least get some interviews, and once you get the interview it's all on you to knock them dead with what you have to say...keep in mind that, like the previous post, i make this claim based solely on the fact that i'm in a similar position and don't want to wait any longer to apply....

Members don't see this ad :)
i could've also waited and applied a year later to improve my gpa and possibly MCAT score. but i just gave it a shot and i got into one of my top choice schools.
i think if you take a year off you're going to have to come up with a good reason when you do secondaries and interviews, so it should be something significant.

I'll add my "Go for it" to those above. Chances are you'll get in somewhere. Why spend a whole extra year in undergrad?

i have a 3.24 bcpm and a 3.59 overall, and a 31, and i'm applying. i already spent the couple thousand to raise my science gpa. a 35 is an awesome score!

I would go with option #1 and use the couple of thousand dollars to apply to a couple more schools, personally.