A Message for all and a Farewell to all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow what an absolute tragedy and I am just so sorry to hear about this. Amazing the fortitude it takes to post such an intimate detail of your life and do it with humility and a sense of humor to boot. Sometimes I think we all get caught up in "playing the game" of it all. Starting with undergrad, mcats, med school, step's, residency, fellowships, jobs, prestige, publiciations and then we die.

I really personally tried to not be caught in this cycle but inevitibley there is time I feel I have wasted when could be doing something much more enjoyable.

Great message and all I can say is sometimes life is just really unfair. We all have seen it but happenin to you or one of "us". To think someone who dedicated his life to helping and healing others to get blasted with a rare cancer for a non-smoker. Although I believe in God, this is one of those times that makes me believe everything in this life is not a "plan" but rather chance and unforseen occurence begets us all. I guess that is how I justify the tragedies.

Prayers to your family and to living your remaining life happy and smiling to the end. I guess you can go buck wild with caffeine now! jk :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes I think we all get caught up in "playing the game" of it all. Starting with undergrad, mcats, med school, step's, residency, fellowships, jobs, prestige, publiciations and then we die.

Yes. You do it for so long, you get used to it, and then it becomes normal.

Although I believe in God, this is one of those times that makes me believe everything in this life is not a "plan" but rather chance and unforseen occurence begets us all. I guess that is how I justify the tragedies.

Yeah.... I hear ya. I don't think it's a plan. We all do our best to mold our own destinies. We do have, in part (if you believe in an order in this universe), that control. The thing is, you never know what lies around the next corner.

It's what you do with it here and now which really matters.

:)

UT SW -

Although we've never met, and I've only stumbled across your occasional post here and there, I have to offer you my best wishes. Thanks for the great sobering reminder of what's truly important in life. My prayers are with you. May you beat the crap out of the "odds", good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, this post makes me very sad.

We all try to chase our dreams but lose perspective along the way. We all work like dogs and miss the more important things in life.

But as UTSW said, always save. I'm glad I am a saver (of course I went a little crazy on cars/suvs the past couple of years after being so good not getting anything after residency).

Man, I don't know what else to said. So young at age 40 to be diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Enjoy your life.

And thanks for all of your input over the years....

You da man. :thumbup:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=213207

Sevo's link is the kind of post and subsequent interaction between colleagues that was

NORMAL

on SDN Anesthesia not long ago.

JUSTA BUNCHA ANESTHESIA DUDES WHO KNOW A S H I T LOAD OF ANESTHESIA GOING BACK AND FORTH.

Sharing.

Teaching.

Learning.

Those were great times on this site.

Clinical scenarios. HUNDREDS. Of clinical scenarios. With a cast of attendings. A supporting cast of residents. Med students as extras.

SDN Anesthesia was a

MOVIE SET.

UT was a HUGE part of that.

I was privileged to play a part in our (metaphorical) film.

THANKS NORM.:thumbup:

Last edited:
That is seriously a royal screw job dude.

From my own personal near death experience I can humbly say that all we have is today buddy. It never gets better than that for anyone. So I, like many, live one day at a time. It works out much better that way. No future tripping. No freak outs. No control issues I can't handle. Just stay in the moment man, because the moment is where the good stuff is.

You are about to go through some serious $hit. You are not alone, and never will be alone, no matter what! Surround yourself with people who care about you and you'll be ok.

Plenty of cancer survivors out there, you'll be one of them. My mom had stage 4 invasive breast cancer which was all over the fu#king place, she rocked it out full bore 9 years past her diagnosis/"expiration date." Never regretted a day in her life.

Just stay strong man. If you need anything I'm here for you. Now go put a mother fu*#ing beatdown on that cancer!!

Jason

Oh....

My deepest sympathy, UT, and prayers for you and your family.

Stay strong and have faith.

Man....

I still have chills going down my spine after reading your post UTSW. Really puts life into perspective. It sucks. We are all too driven. IT's easy to say we need to 'keep whats important in perspective'...it's harder to actually carry it out.

Seriously man. We all pray for you.

From my own personal near death experience I can humbly say that all we have is today buddy. It never gets better than that for anyone. So I, like many, live one day at a time. It works out much better that way. No future tripping. No freak outs. No control issues I can't handle. Just stay in the moment man, because the moment is where the good stuff is.

You are about to go through some serious $hit. You are not alone, and never will be alone, no matter what! Surround yourself with people who care about you and you'll be ok.

Plenty of cancer survivors out there, you'll be one of them. My mom had stage 4 invasive breast cancer which was all over the fu#king place, she rocked it out full bore 9 years past her diagnosis/"expiration date." Never regretted a day in her life.

Just stay strong man. If you need anything I'm here for you. Now go put a mother fu*#ing beatdown on that cancer!!

Jason

These stories of survival are exactly what I hope to duplicate. I thank everyone for their words of support and prayers. I hope to one day return to full time posting here talking about what we as a group have done to impact everyone's lives. Live the moment and cherish those around you.

Rarely am I at a loss for words, but I feel that way today.

Just know that you left a legacy on this board that will be remembered long after the resolution of the battle you are now facing.

I will hope for the best for you and your family on the difficult road ahead.

Thanks for all of your advice over the years.

- pod

Jason

VENTY!!!!!!!

:love:

UT is the bomb, man.

I've seen a cuppla miracles in my career....clinical situations that could not be explained....I posted them here...if you look hard enough you can find them...

Every day prayers for UT starts now.

So I, like many, live one day at a time. It works out much better that way. No future tripping. No freak outs. No control issues I can't handle. Just stay in the moment man, because the moment is where the good stuff is.

Check it out UT... your magic is bringing back some of the classic home-E's on this forum!

firedragon.jpg

YOU DA MAN!

Members don't see this ad :)
UT: I was fortunate to have had the honor and privilege to meet you. I remember being impressed by your presence and smarts over dinner in Dallas. Definitely the kinda dude I admire and hope to emulate.

I pray that this is just a speed bump along the road of life and I am sure you will come out ahead. You have a great family surrounding you and there are many of us around the country who will have your back anytime.

So beat that beast of a disease into submission and remember it's not over till the fat lady sings. As far as I know, that b*tch ain't singing anytime soon.

PLease don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything. Will be happy to help in anyway I can.

PRD

Last edited:
You will pull through. Keep a positive attitude.

UT I have long read and enjoyed your posts. Your message deeply saddens me. Life is fleeting and unpredictable. Thank you for your courage in posting this message. Best wishes and lots of love to you!

UT Southwestern,

you inspired me when I felt trapped in family medicine. UT, your post have all been gracious and thoughtful. Your story reminds me that I have to make the most of my time and invest in my relationships with family and friends.

Cambie

UT - I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said. I saw your original post shortly after you posted it... I started typing a reply, but didn't post it because... well... I don't really know why. I think that I was having a hard time coming to terms with what was happening. I have experienced quite a bit of loss around me, as I know a lot of other people have, and I think that played into my decision not to post... I had to get my bearings on this situation (which I'm sure sounds ******ed) to be able to better express myself.

I have 3 young children and just the idea of me EVER having any regrets about my time spent with them tears me apart - not to mention my wife! Your message about living life is something that I ALWAYS strive to obtain. I have (single/non-parent) classmates that tell me "I can't imagine going through medical school with kids.." to which I reply, they are my reason to stay grounded. They are the reason that I don't spend every waking moment consumed with school. I can't imagine going through this without them! I love it when my daughter drags me away from my computer to go play at the park! :D

I remember reading your posts over the years, and even though I was just a premed for most of them, I always enjoyed them. I know for a fact that your screen name will be on the short list of my search queries over the next many years... a lot of what you discussed was way over my head, but I look forward to revisiting it once my knowledge base has increased.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you for your contributions to this board. I also want to let you know that I look forward to updates on how you are kicking the $hit out of this thing! I strongly believe that there is so much of recovery/etc. that is mental. I have never met you in real life, but the personality that you have conveyed on this message board makes me sure that you are going into this with the right mental attitude to destroy it! Best of luck, and know that my thoughts are with you.

Regards,
-RT2MD

True.

I mean, Venty came back.:eek:

No JOKE! Venty, stick around for a bit... your presence is missed! Let us know how life is treating you!

I too am at lost for words today when I read your post.

Your situation made me even more apprehensive about my own mortality. Since birth...I grew old day by day....I will eventually get sick and face death. The human condition is full of suffering. Live the moment not the past nor the future. This is why I kiss my wife everyday in the morning. This is why I don't let anger, jealousy, or stress get to me. This is why I meditate everyday and cherish the happy little moments. Since I know that happiness and love itself is not forever...in contrast suffering and pain will also not last forever....just like a morning dew on a leave of grass...we will all fade by midday...but to come back the next morning....

Your contribution to this forum was priceless. My condolences to you and your family.

Last edited:
UT- Don't hang on statistics man, Stay POSITIVE. We know a good mental preparation for our patients , helps them have a better anesthetic experience. You too can stay ahead of this mess with your great outlook on life. I read your post (repeated in #6 above) when you first wrote it and said this is my Brother, my dreampartner, and a guy I want to hang with. I have been a solo guy 15 yrs, doin one case at a time , and trying to spread that gospel.
Anything I can do to help you with this journey, let me know , Consider it Done.
( just in case it doesn't get brought up, I hear stopping vitamins especially antioxidants during chemo, help the chemo hit it's intended target harder- ask your onc doc)
PEACE

I too am at lost for words today when I read your post.

Your situation made me even more apprehensive about my own mortality. Since birth...I grew old day by day....I will eventually get sick and face death. The human condition is full of suffering. Live the moment not the past nor the future. This is why I kiss my wife everyday in the morning. This is why I don't let anger, jealousy, or stress get to me. This is why I meditate everyday and cherish the happy little moments. Since I know that happiness and love itself is not forever...in contrast suffering and pain will also not last forever....just like a morning dew on a leave of grass...we will all fade by midday...but to come back the next morning....

Your contribution to this forum was priceless. My condolences to you and your family.

This is exactly what my message conveys, although no condolences yet. :)

I did have a PET scan and unfortunately, it was worse than expected with multiple metastatic sites including the spine. Despite the spread, still have no symptoms. Not even pain.

Goes to show what can be hiding without any symptoms.

PRD, Cambie, RT2MD, Jet, and our long lost brother, Venty, we've had a great run haven't we? Unbelievable growth of our members since our first days here. Carry on the tradition everyone and I promise to fight and keep the faith!

Thanks for your input over the years. Take care.

UT, your post has given me a new outlook on life, and I thank you for that.

Remember, those that don't get through the tough times can't get to the good times. You WILL get to the good times.

Best of luck to you and your family as you pillage and destroy this thing.

Good Sunday afternoon to all of my friends and acquaintances on SDN.

May all of your lives be filled with happiness and joy and may we all one day see an end to the strife, conflicts, and wars we so readily relegate ourselves to, on Earth or in Heaven.

Hope you end up doing well.

Your post was amazing and also puts things in perspective. Best wishes.

Very well written and moving...
In writing this post, I want to first of all tell everyone, ENJOY LIFE!!! No one goes to their grave wishing they had worked a few more days. I can tell you that having taken this past week off, even something as simple as walking with my wife to a coffee shop (my first caffeine in almost 16 months) during the morning hours with the wind rustling the leaves of the red oaks of our neighborhood, I felt like I had missed out on so much, if even something as mundane as this moved me so much. That doesn't even begin to touch on the times and events I missed with my kids as I drove myself to exhaustion on a day to day basis with work, side businesses, politics, administration, etc.

Just saw this last night... wow.

UT- Seven years ago you were a major influence on my decision to pick a residency in anesthesia, and ultimately my professional development in the field. I had a great deal of respect for your words, and took them to heart. For that I wish to thank you. I can echo all the sentiments expressed by others in this thread. Last year I made a decision to take a different path in medicine- less work, more life. I took a job in BFE that pays well and gives me lots of time off. I fully plan to enjoy life now, while it's here to be lived. We spend too much time putting things off for the sake of our careers, and for what? Thank you for reminding us all to seize the day. Godspeed in your journey.

At a lost for words. I have followed your posts for sometime. Lots of wisdom.

I debated not posting on this thread, as it's best left to trusted friends and colleagues, and I am but a guest among you.

But I did want to say that you have been and will continue to be in my prayers. While it is unclear if this is a plan or what that plan may be, I do believe God uses all similar tragic sitatuions for good, whether we can see it now or not is situational.

Anyhow, I'm done..

I have been debating on whether or not to post this information but in light of several posts I have recently seen on the site, I feel that I can contribute to the ideas and thoughts of those of you in training and those of you still young to the private and academic practice worlds.

This past Wednesday at the ripe old age of 40, I was diagnosed with stage IV invasive adenocarcinoma of the lung. Don't smoke, don't drink except socially, never did drugs. Wouldn't have found it had I not gotten pneumonia from my brother. A big curveball on the road of life thrown at me at just the wrong time. Some tears and some down feelings, before my wife and my friends and family threw their support behind me and I kicked myself in the tail to remind myself I'm not dead yet. Close, but not yet. :)

No overt signs or symptoms over the past 2-3 years (which is the estimate of how long I have had this). Over the last year, some fatigue, but as busy as I am, not something out of the ordinary, and considering I worked out 7 days a week including an hour of cardio every day, well within acceptable tolerances. No weight loss and in fact have gained 10 pounds.

In writing this post, I want to first of all tell everyone, ENJOY LIFE!!! No one goes to their grave wishing they had worked a few more days. I can tell you that having taken this past week off, even something as simple as walking with my wife to a coffee shop (my first caffeine in almost 16 months) during the morning hours with the wind rustling the leaves of the red oaks of our neighborhood, I felt like I had missed out on so much, if even something as mundane as this moved me so much. That doesn't even begin to touch on the times and events I missed with my kids as I drove myself to exhaustion on a day to day basis with work, side businesses, politics, administration, etc.

I am not saying drop everything you are doing and never come back but take time off consistently to enjoy the day to day activities that we as type A professionals tend to forsake for our careers. You will feel better for doing it and you will have more energy to tackle those seemingly insurmountable tasks you have piled up for your work days.

Secondly, don't ignore symptoms. Don't treat yourself without finding out for sure what you are currently experiencing. While I had no symptoms, I did get checked out regularly with my internist, have already had an EGD, colonoscopy, CT scan, X-rays, and lab work done and this still managed to sneak in. That being said, it is still better to be consistent and thorough to pick up more obvious ailments.

Make sure you have good life and disability insurance. That was a topic recently brought up and as a just turned 40 year old now with a much shorter than expected shelf life, I can tell you that the anxiety of wondering what will happen to my family far outweighs any anxiety I have about my condition. I do not fear death. Never have. I fear uncertainty for my family more than anything else. Of course, I just recently terminated a life insurance policy in preparation for changing to another. Now out of both.

Save, SAVE, S A V E! Investments, gambling, stocks, fast cars, big houses, etc. all are fast ways to keeping you poor in the short term and likely unprepared for just such an event. I was balanced but if I had to do it over again, I would have put just a bit more into savings than into risky situations and cars. Of course, that was when I was younger and invincible. Having a war chest of funds safely tucked away in whatever non-depreciating savings form you desire will give you the peace of mind to live comfortably and to be prepared for life's unexpected lightning bolts.

I will certainly miss the wonderful discussions we have seen over the past 8 years and I regret that I have met so few of you face to face to put a proper name and image to the screen name. Maintain the integrity of this board and help each other as we have all seen many people do over the past 8 years that I have been privileged to be a part of.

May all of your lives be filled with happiness and joy and may we all one day see an end to the strife, conflicts, and wars we so readily relegate ourselves to, on Earth or in Heaven.

My Friend....I love you and I will pray for you.
2win

Once again, thank you everyone for the kind prayers and thoughts. I truly am energized by their presence.

As previously promised, I have started up a blog site to keep everyone informed of my progress, if you want to call the last few days that word. I hope that once everything is straightened out, the blog posts will become more positive and reflect a successful campaign to fight my cancer.

Take care all.

http://crushmycancer.blogspot.com/
CrushMyCancer.Blogspot.com

Once again, thank you everyone for the kind prayers and thoughts. I truly am energized by their presence.

As previously promised, I have started up a blog site to keep everyone informed of my progress, if you want to call the last few days that word. I hope that once everything is straightened out, the blog posts will become more positive and reflect a successful campaign to fight my cancer.

Take care all.

I read your blog and bookmarked it. I will be following your progress as I am sure many others will. Sounds like the biopsy procedure was quite an ordeal. Keep up the fight and crush it!

Take care all.

Thanks for sharing. Keep on crushing it!

I have been debating on whether or not to post this information but in light of several posts I have recently seen on the site, I feel that I can contribute to the ideas and thoughts of those of you in training and those of you still young to the private and academic practice worlds.

This past Wednesday at the ripe old age of 40, I was diagnosed with stage IV invasive adenocarcinoma of the lung. Don't smoke, don't drink except socially, never did drugs. Wouldn't have found it had I not gotten pneumonia from my brother. A big curveball on the road of life thrown at me at just the wrong time. Some tears and some down feelings, before my wife and my friends and family threw their support behind me and I kicked myself in the tail to remind myself I'm not dead yet. Close, but not yet. :)

No overt signs or symptoms over the past 2-3 years (which is the estimate of how long I have had this). Over the last year, some fatigue, but as busy as I am, not something out of the ordinary, and considering I worked out 7 days a week including an hour of cardio every day, well within acceptable tolerances. No weight loss and in fact have gained 10 pounds.

I am not saying drop everything you are doing and never come back but take time off consistently to enjoy the day to day activities that we as type A professionals tend to forsake for our careers. You will feel better for doing it and you will have more energy to tackle those seemingly insurmountable tasks you have piled up for your work days.

Secondly, don't ignore symptoms. Don't treat yourself without finding out for sure what you are currently experiencing. While I had no symptoms, I did get checked out regularly with my internist, have already had an EGD, colonoscopy, CT scan, X-rays, and lab work done and this still managed to sneak in. That being said, it is still better to be consistent and thorough to pick up more obvious ailments.

Make sure you have good life and disability insurance. That was a topic recently brought up and as a just turned 40 year old now with a much shorter than expected shelf life, I can tell you that the anxiety of wondering what will happen to my family far outweighs any anxiety I have about my condition. I do not fear death. Never have. I fear uncertainty for my family more than anything else. Of course, I just recently terminated a life insurance policy in preparation for changing to another. Now out of both.

Save, SAVE, S A V E! Investments, gambling, stocks, fast cars, big houses, etc. all are fast ways to keeping you poor in the short term and likely unprepared for just such an event. I was balanced but if I had to do it over again, I would have put just a bit more into savings than into risky situations and cars. Of course, that was when I was younger and invincible. Having a war chest of funds safely tucked away in whatever non-depreciating savings form you desire will give you the peace of mind to live comfortably and to be prepared for life's unexpected lightning bolts.

I will certainly miss the wonderful discussions we have seen over the past 8 years and I regret that I have met so few of you face to face to put a proper name and image to the screen name. Maintain the integrity of this board and help each other as we have all seen many people do over the past 8 years that I have been privileged to be a part of.

Jesus, man. Admittedly, I know very little about you (I'm a recent addition to SDN), but I feel just awful reading this news. You are just too damn young to be facing this.

I really wish you (and your family) the best. I'm not a particularly religious guy, but I'll be sure to make a few prayers for you tonight.

UT,

I was still in med school during the "golden years" of SDN anesthesia. Yours was one of the voices on this site that offered knowledge-hungry youngsters like myself a golden pass into the mind of a badass anesthesiologist. I learned from you everytime you posted. You helped me and many many anonymous strangers become better.

Know now that those same anonymous strangers are out there pulling for you to get better. Our hearts are with you, man. All the best.

UT,

Bro, I'm not a frequent poster, but I've been following this site for years. I've read many of your posts and they have helped me tailor my anesthetic technique over the years, along with the many great posters on SDN.

I'm sorry to hear the news. I don't know you but I feel devastated. Makes me realize how it's not worth spending life chasing money, prestige, or status. Keep it simple and live for the things that really matter. Life is delicate and we all go at some point. Best of luck my man and my thoughts are with you.

Godspeed.

So sorry to hear this news. I'm not really familiar with SDN anesthesia but it's saddening to hear about anyone that is given this diagnosis.

Thank you for your words of wisdom that you offered. I, like others here, am also prone to getting caught in the rat race; thank you for the reminder of what really matters.

Best of luck in your fight. Praying for you.

UT, I am at a loss of what to say. Your words are inspirational, your support over the years has been appreciated by so many.

My prayers are with you.

I am truly saddened to hear of the news, especially today as one of our own (AllForMyDaughter) has delivered a baby boy. Life is funny that way isn't it.

I wish you and your family only the best and thank you for spending the time not only to tell us, but to encourage us to "stop and smell the roses" and to enjoy life, and live it to the fullest.

Please let me and SDN know if there is anything you need.

I am truly saddened to hear of the news, especially today as one of our own (AllForMyDaughter) has delivered a baby boy. Life is funny that way isn't it.

I wish you and your family only the best and thank you for spending the time not only to tell us, but to encourage us to "stop and smell the roses" and to enjoy life, and live it to the fullest.

Please let me and SDN know if there is anything you need.

It amazes me how representative of a cross section of life in general that SDN has managed to present over the years.

I remember tragedy struck AllForMyDaughter as if it were yesterday. That event still resonates with me but unfortunately, did not push me far enough to my mental edge to convince me to slow down.

For those Southwestern residents on this board, I look forward to meeting you on June 15 at 0645 when I will be giving a from hip talk on "What to do Before and After Life Throws You a Concrete Curveball."

It amazes me how representative of a cross section of life in general that SDN has managed to present over the years.

I remember tragedy struck AllForMyDaughter as if it were yesterday. That event still resonates with me but unfortunately, did not push me far enough to my mental edge to convince me to slow down.

For those Southwestern residents on this board, I look forward to meeting you on June 15 at 0645 when I will be giving a from hip talk on "What to do Before and After Life Throws You a Concrete Curveball."

UT, I have a humble request- I, and I'm sure many more, would love to enjoy those pearls you are bestowing upon the UTSW residents on June 15. Any possibility you would record it and post it on your blog?

UT, I have a humble request- I, and I'm sure many more, would love to enjoy those pearls you are bestowing upon the UTSW residents on June 15. Any possibility you would record it and post it on your blog?

I will see about that or just typing it out. It's from the hip, but I remember my stuff pretty well usually.

I will see about that or just typing it out. It's from the hip, but I remember my stuff pretty well usually.

Great, thanks! I suppose you may have done something like that regardless of me asking about it, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

You are an inspiration to all of us. This is a reminder to live your life to the fullest and not sweat the small stuff. You are in my prayers.

I'd never read a post of yours before this. I'm an incoming medical student with a wife who is almost done with medical school. Our focus has usually been on our work. Your pain and fears really resonate with me. I wish there was something that I could do for you.

I have subscribed to your blog's newsfeed and will be following your progress. I sincerely hope for the best. And thank you for sharing all of this with us - I had once again forgotten how precious each day was, and how much we should value the little things. You've opened my eyes to it.

We'll be thinking of you. You're not alone.

I've been a lurker for years but joined so I could let you know that I'm pulling for you. Sorry all this is going on, but if anyone can handle it with grace and strength, it's you. Thanks for all of your contributions to this forum.