A Must Read Before You Apply/ Commit to Dental School(especially if you are unsure if Dentistry is right for you, or choosing it for the wrong reason)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeexotic

Reaction score
I know that there are many applicants applying to dental school as a back up in case they fail to be admitted to medical school, or applying to dental school because they don’t have the MCAT or grades to apply to med school and are considering dentistry as a second option, as someone who has completed dental school and hated it and ended up becoming a happy physicians afterwards, I would strongly advise you apply to medical school only, be it an MD, DO program, or even an offshore American medical school. You will regret your decision if medicine is your real interest and you are using dentistry as a backup. The worst days in medical school are better than the best days in dental school.

It takes a special person to truly enjoy dentistry. I will repeat this again, dentistry is not for everyone. I would be safe to say that probably more than half of dentists do not actually enjoy their job and would rather be doing something else, but because of the financial and time investment in dental school, loan payback, mortgages, and child rearing costs, cannot afford the time or finances to pursue another profession, and are essentially stuck in a profession that they secretly hate. Why do you think dentists have such a high rate of suicide, it's not annoying patients, its job dissatisfaction. There are many dental student suicides as well, two this past year in fact at prominent schools, both first year students. Now the grand majority of dentists won't admit this to you, and even dental students won't because of pride and saving face, and because no one wants to admit they made the wrong decision and picked the wrong career. And I think it is this perpetual faking of happiness and not being truthful about their profession that continues this cycle of students making uninformed career decisions.

Be truthful to yourself why you are applying to dental school? Do you truly love dentistry and cant see yourself doing anything else? Or are you unsure what you want to do in life, and it seems like a sure bet? Is it because you can't get into medical school and this is a back up to still being a doctor of some sort? Is it because you just want to the status of being a doctor, or your parents want you to be a doctor? You want to be rich? Is it to show your friends and family that you “made it”?

Frankly I think the best candidates for dental school are those who have worked full time as a dental assistant, a hygienist, or those whose parents are dentists and they have seen first hand the positives and negatives of being a dentist, and can make a truly informed decision. I honestly don’t think shadowing a dentist for a few hours a week, going to a summer dental education program or a day event where your pour up one model and drill a few teeth is enough to really gauge if dentistry is something you want to do as a lifelong career. I think the problem with being young, and coming from undergrad is that before graduate school, you have a lot of flexibility in your education, and your choices, and there is no lasting penalty for your decisions. You could have been an English major and still had the possibility of applying to say business school, or pharmacy school etc etc. Basically no matter what you studied in undergrad you still have the possibility of doing and becoming whatever you want; yes it will be easier, and harder for some majors but it's still a possibility. However when you commit to a health professional school, your more locked into that profession, and unlike undergrad it harder to say switch your “major”, or transfer to another school, or drop out of a class if you don’t like what you are studying or don’t like the learning environment. It is also a more costly switch too, and grad schools look at students who leave graduate programs early with suspicion that you are well, a flip flop or a flunker that doesn’t know what you want to do, and that there’s a higher possibility that you might leave their program to which no school wants. So all of you think in the back of your minds that well if I don’t like dental school I will just leave and go to this and that program, it's not going to be an easy path, but it is still doable, just be prepared knowing that your stock went down having just dropped out of a dental program, esp if you will want to apply to medicine afterwards. And it will be a lot harder to pull the trigger and leave a dental program than you think.

Think to yourself if dentistry is something I want to do for the next 20 + years of your life, not the next four, or ten, and will it still be exciting for me. This is the question you should ask yourself before committing into any graduate program. Learning anything that is new is fun initially, and I think it’s why a lot of us end up applying to dental school in the first place because it’s different, and your good at science, and it's like medicine, but not medicine blah blah blah. This was my case. But trust me, that excitement can get old real quick in a few weeks of dental school when you're doing it and studying it 12+ hours a day, or even after a few years of dental school, or working post graduation.

Do not feel pressured to apply to dental school because of your parents, or your siblings or friends who are going to dental school(just because someone else is likes dentistry doesn't mean you will will like it, or they may even be faking it) or because you put all this time and energy into studying for the DAT’s, and tailoring your activities to build a great dental resume and LORs. You are young, and can always start something anew. It does not have to be medicine; think to yourself what it is you foresee yourself enjoying for the long-term future. And if you are still considering dentistry, work in the field for even a year as a dental assistant, to really solidify that it is an interest and not just a passing interest. This small sacrifice of a year can save you future school debt and future of unhappiness if their turn out dentistry is not all you thought it would be.

Now this is information for those who are still committed to applying despite everything I have written, or feel that it doesn’t apply to them, or frankly I am full of **** and will be starting dental school the next cycle, or whenever it happens.

If after the first year of dental school, you are still passionate about it, and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else, do anything else. Congratulations, this is a great sign that this is the right career path for you. However, if after the first year, you hated it and would rather be doing something else, I hate to say it, and these words will haunt you but if this becomes you, LEAVE. Get the hell out. Dental school will not get any better the further you go. Don’t listen to that crap about it gets better when you actually start seeing patients. If you have those feelings from early on, it will never get better for you; school will only become a burden. Leave while your student debt is still small (hopefully) and if you happened to be on full scholarship, definitely leave now. Swallow your pride, ignore all the negative things that your family, or your classmates and friends will undoubtedly say about you. Get out literally while you have less debt, and are still young. It will be the best decision you ever made in dental school.

So many students feel pressured to stay due to pride. Their parents have already bragged to everyone who will listen that you will be a dentist, and you already bragged about being a dentist after flooding facebook and instagram with your white coat ceremony and clinic pics. Swallow your pride, and leave. If you realize you don’t like filling and drilling or you don’t like teeth in general, dentistry is not the job for you. And like I said it takes a special person with a special interest to like this field so don't feel shocked it doesn’t click with you; you are more likely to hate it than actually like it. I see so many of my former classmates and young dentists unhappy with dentistry trying to salvage their dental careers by going into dental specialties (lotta pedes, ortho, os) they hope will make them happier, when the truth is it was better they just walk away completely and start afresh. I was one of those ppl, those ortho gunners, that hated the filling and drilling and thought ortho would be my savior. But shadowing at an ortho clinic sucked. Placing bands and brackets was no better than drilling and filling and I had to be honest with myself. Did i really like ortho for what it was, or just the prestige and the paycheck, and looking for a way out. I had to be honest with myself. All the dental specialties involve working with teeth, you will never escape it. Also most dental specialties you have to pay tuition, so don’t bury yourself in even more debt , and more years of school and waste your youth trying to salvage your career and happiness. A lot of people who should have end up applying to med school in the first place go on to apply to 6 year OS programs, once again trying to get as a far away from the dental side and closer to the medical side only to go through a decade of education and get an MD only to end up extracting teeth for a living despite all that education. They would have been better of applying to med school from the beginning, and choosing a medical specialty that better suited their interest, than choosing oral surgery in an attempt to escape dentistry.

So I wont be responding/reading any comments, or private messages regarding this post. I have said all that I have to say regarding this matter, and have told you things I wish I knew or was told before I went to dental school, and insight I acquired completing a DMD program myself. Take the advice, don’t take the advice, take it with a grain of salt, tell me to go you know what myself, I really don’t care. I just hope I can help students make a better decision if dentistry is the right career for them, and ask that you be honest with themselves before they embark on a dental career.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Some valid points and I do think the OP means well, but at the end of the day it's just a job. Maybe it's because I'm older with a family, but you eventually realize that you just have to suck it up and do whatever it takes to provide for your family. I've been a fry cook, janitor, CSR, maintenance helper, teacher, etc. I had good days and bad days in each of those jobs. Because it's a job. People pay you to do stuff because it's work. Work is hard.

When I decided to go into dentistry I was just looking for a way to provide for my family with a decent income, less hours and job stability. Did I have alternatives? Sure. If I went another route that would have been fine, but this is fine too. I don't love teeth, I don't hate them. Dental school's been pretty tough. I'm sure practicing dentistry won't be easy either. Like any other job.

But yeah if you hate teeth, hate working with your hands, hate dealing with patients and everything else about dentistry, maybe look for a different career. But whatever you end up doing, you'll find that it's just a job with pros and cons like any other job.

If you hate dentistry and it's too late for you to get out, just stick it out and don't be too down about it. Work hard and feel good about having a decent income with decent hours, and being able to help people out while you're at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
As if physicians are any happier. I'm glad you found your calling and are enjoying what you are doing; however, everything you said about dentistry can be said about medicine. In fact, there are probably more unhappy physicians than there are dentists. Seriously, anyone reading this go shadow some physicians and some dentists and see for yourself. People enter medical school with this notion that they're going to be saving lives all day, and then once they face reality and realize they're stuck behind a computer screen writing notes 90% of the time they're like "fml this isn't what i thought it would be."

I do agree with your overall message that you shouldn't second guess your gut and use dentistry as a fall back. If you want to pursue medicine, do it. However, I don't think most people that apply to dental school even wanted to go to medical school in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Why do you think dentists have such a high rate of suicide, it's not annoying patients, its job dissatisfaction."
show where currently dentists have a high suicide rate

way in the past they did, and it had nothing to do with suicide...

Some valid points and I do think the OP means well, but at the end of the day it's just a job. Maybe it's because I'm older with a family, but you eventually realize that you just have to suck it up and do whatever it takes to provide for your family. I've been a fry cook, janitor, CSR, maintenance helper, teacher, etc. I had good days and bad days in each of those jobs. Because it's a job. People pay you to do stuff because it's work. Work is hard.

When I decided to go into dentistry I was just looking for a way to provide for my family with a decent income, less hours and job stability. Did I have alternatives? Sure. If I went another route that would have been fine, but this is fine too. I don't love teeth, I don't hate them. Dental school's been pretty tough. I'm sure practicing dentistry won't be easy either. Like any other job.

But yeah if you hate teeth, hate working with your hands, hate dealing with patients and everything else about dentistry, maybe look for a different career. But whatever you end up doing, you'll find that it's just a job with pros and cons like any other job.

If you hate dentistry and it's too late for you to get out, just stick it out and don't be too down about it. Work hard and feel good about having a decent income with decent hours, and being able to help people out while you're at it.

While I acknowledge that it is just a job, I agree with OP. I think there is a higher degree of certainty that you need to have going into dentistry compared with a lot of other career avenues simply because the burden of entry is so high and getting out is so hard. The debt-to-income ratio that dentists nowadays carry makes it nearly impossible to leave the field, and once you're in the field, a DMD is not nearly as flexible a degree as many other graduate degrees. If you realize that you really hate patient contact as an MD, there are options for you (pathology, rads, admin, managed care, pharma, etc.); if you realize that in dentistry, you're going to have a hard road, because the degree and skill set is not nearly as transferable, and basically none of your alternatives pay you enough to service your debt. I guess my point is, yes, a job is a job, an every job is going to have aspects you don't like. But if find a job isn't for you, most jobs aren't as hard to leave as dentistry, so you should really take your time and understand what you're getting in to.

I would like to know if there is a big difference in opinion for dentists that had other careers vs dentistry is their first career. As sobertiger says, it is just a job, this sets up different expectations.

I want to thank the OP for his/her post. I would be real curious what area in medicine the OP ended up in. And what aspects of dentistry made him/her change course AFTER graduating.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a great deal of misinformation in the OP's blocks of text.
Why do you think dentists have such a high rate of suicide, it's not annoying patients, its job dissatisfaction. There are many dental student suicides as well, two this past year in fact at prominent schools, both first year students.
There's a pervasive myth about dentists having the highest suicide rate. Decades of research have shown that physicians have the highest suicide rate in the healthcare community. Please see WebMD or Medscape: "With one completed suicide every day, US physicians have the highest suicide rate of any profession."

A lot of people who should have end up applying to med school in the first place go on to apply to 6 year OS programs, once again trying to get as a far away from the dental side and closer to the medical side only to go through a decade of education and get an MD only to end up extracting teeth for a living despite all that education.
Research suggests that most OMS-MD are happy with their career path. Don't take my word for it. Read the article: "Graduating OMS residents carry with them a significant amount of debt whether graduating from a 4-year program or a 6-year program. However, when subjectively queried, most of these residents stated they would again choose OMS as a career choice. "

I would strongly advise you apply to medical school only, be it an MD, DO program, or even an offshore American medical school.
I would be careful with offshore medical schools. Significant portions of their classes fail to graduate and/or match. You could simply check out the MD forums to verify this.

It is unfortunate that the OP had such an unpleasant experience, but I don't think extrapolating from his unique experience to make broad generalizations is particularly helpful. I am really curious to see if he'll be happy with his new profession in the long-term.

Reactions: 2 users
Man I disagree with almost everything the OP said. I too was on the fence about doing medical or dental. But not because of grades. I had a 3.98 GPA in college, never took MCAT but was top 3% in DAT scores. I didn't want to do medicine because I hated hospitals, don't like working for someone, and wanted autonomy. I decided on dentistry and I actually really love doing the dental work. I love the small office setting of dentistry too. It's so great. Don't get me wrong, I hate dental school (everyone does), but we have community outreach programs where we work in certain areas for weeks at a time with very minimal supervision, and I love that. Like really love that. Dentistry is pretty cool. Next year I'm going to be specializing in ortho, but I actually am really going to miss general dentistry.

Reactions: 4 users
One hundred percent satisfaction in any profession would blow a pretty big hole in the Gaussian distribution.

Reactions: 1 users