Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been (kind of obsessively) reading this forum lately and decided to post about my situation to see if anyone had advice for me.
I guess I'm a 'non-traditional' applicant - 26, female, and have been working for 4 years. I live in BC but am a dual - with US - citizen.
Basically I always wanted to become a vet and tried to get as much animal/vet experience as possible through high school and university. I started out strong in university..but then got some not-so-great grades (damn you o-chem) and little by little started thinking I had to let the dream of vet school go. By the time I graduated I was feeling so done with school that I just wanted to get out of there and work for a year before even thinking about more school (at this point I was thinking grad school since I knew my grades weren't competitive enough for WCVM).
I got a really cool job right out of university as a research tech with sea lions and 1 year before going back to school quickly became....where I am now, almost 4 years later.
I never quite let the dream of vet school go though - I applied to WCVM last year and was basically told that my grades weren't competitive enough and that short of redoing my entire undergrad, there was no point in applying again.
This year I applied to Murdoch on somewhat of a whim. I was thinking there was no way I would get in but since I had all the pre-reqs, I gave it a shot...and...I GOT IN!!!!
Fast forward about 8 hours (this is last week) and I'm sitting there still in shock but now it's about the tuition...45k/year over 5 years plus living in one of the most expensive cities imagineable...plus the more minor expenses of flights home and importing my dogs.
Anyway - now onto the quandary -
I never thought to apply to the US schools or the schools in the Caribbean. Now that I got into Murdoch I'm thinking that maybe I do have a shot at some other schools - that would be 4 yr programs and save that extra year of tuition plus going halfway across the world. By the time I heard from the US schools, though, it would be too late for Murdoch (start date Feb 2013). SGU and Ross are different I guess since I could find out much earlier from them. I signed up for the GRE for June so that I at least have a complete application...but I'm really at a loss for what to do, or for whether I even have a chance at the US schools (maybe I should have put this into the "what are my chances" thread).
From my (somewhat annoying) calculations from percentages to gpa I think my gpa is only around 3.3. My science credits and last 45 credits, etc. are all pretty close to that. Depending on required courses it's sometimes as low as 3.2.
For experience I have:
Animal + Vet:
1900 hours as research technician with marine mammals (about 200 of those hours with the aquarium vet)
1300 hours at SA clinic
640 hours as research technician at WCVM doing a bison reproduction study (320 of those hours doing U/S, electroejaculation of bison with vet)
64 hours volunteering at SA emergency clinic
Just animal:
320 hours doing undergrad thesis on humane euthanasia methods for lab mice
640 hours working at biotech company doing in-vivo research with tumour growth kinetics in mice
740 hours as technician at the university animal care centre (taking care of research pigs, sheep, etc.) - some shadowing the university vet
320 hours on dairy farm
240 hours volunteering with non-profit SA rescue
Countless hours as a foster home for dog/cat rescues
Countless hours of dog training (to the national level in agility 😀)
Sorry this is so long. Do I suck up the huge debt and accept Murdoch, thinking that that might be my only chance to go to vet school? Do I try to defer Murdoch so that I can apply to the US schools? Give my deposit to Murdoch and then apply to SGU and Ross since I would find out early enough from them? Obviously the decision is ultimately mine but maybe you guys have some much needed advice for me...
I guess I'm a 'non-traditional' applicant - 26, female, and have been working for 4 years. I live in BC but am a dual - with US - citizen.
Basically I always wanted to become a vet and tried to get as much animal/vet experience as possible through high school and university. I started out strong in university..but then got some not-so-great grades (damn you o-chem) and little by little started thinking I had to let the dream of vet school go. By the time I graduated I was feeling so done with school that I just wanted to get out of there and work for a year before even thinking about more school (at this point I was thinking grad school since I knew my grades weren't competitive enough for WCVM).
I got a really cool job right out of university as a research tech with sea lions and 1 year before going back to school quickly became....where I am now, almost 4 years later.
I never quite let the dream of vet school go though - I applied to WCVM last year and was basically told that my grades weren't competitive enough and that short of redoing my entire undergrad, there was no point in applying again.
This year I applied to Murdoch on somewhat of a whim. I was thinking there was no way I would get in but since I had all the pre-reqs, I gave it a shot...and...I GOT IN!!!!
Fast forward about 8 hours (this is last week) and I'm sitting there still in shock but now it's about the tuition...45k/year over 5 years plus living in one of the most expensive cities imagineable...plus the more minor expenses of flights home and importing my dogs.
Anyway - now onto the quandary -
I never thought to apply to the US schools or the schools in the Caribbean. Now that I got into Murdoch I'm thinking that maybe I do have a shot at some other schools - that would be 4 yr programs and save that extra year of tuition plus going halfway across the world. By the time I heard from the US schools, though, it would be too late for Murdoch (start date Feb 2013). SGU and Ross are different I guess since I could find out much earlier from them. I signed up for the GRE for June so that I at least have a complete application...but I'm really at a loss for what to do, or for whether I even have a chance at the US schools (maybe I should have put this into the "what are my chances" thread).
From my (somewhat annoying) calculations from percentages to gpa I think my gpa is only around 3.3. My science credits and last 45 credits, etc. are all pretty close to that. Depending on required courses it's sometimes as low as 3.2.
For experience I have:
Animal + Vet:
1900 hours as research technician with marine mammals (about 200 of those hours with the aquarium vet)
1300 hours at SA clinic
640 hours as research technician at WCVM doing a bison reproduction study (320 of those hours doing U/S, electroejaculation of bison with vet)
64 hours volunteering at SA emergency clinic
Just animal:
320 hours doing undergrad thesis on humane euthanasia methods for lab mice
640 hours working at biotech company doing in-vivo research with tumour growth kinetics in mice
740 hours as technician at the university animal care centre (taking care of research pigs, sheep, etc.) - some shadowing the university vet
320 hours on dairy farm
240 hours volunteering with non-profit SA rescue
Countless hours as a foster home for dog/cat rescues
Countless hours of dog training (to the national level in agility 😀)
Sorry this is so long. Do I suck up the huge debt and accept Murdoch, thinking that that might be my only chance to go to vet school? Do I try to defer Murdoch so that I can apply to the US schools? Give my deposit to Murdoch and then apply to SGU and Ross since I would find out early enough from them? Obviously the decision is ultimately mine but maybe you guys have some much needed advice for me...