A Question about undergrad. classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FizbanZymogen

Guitar Hero Champion
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if taking most of the more difficult undergrad science classes before you apply to med school helps your chances of getting in. The reasoning behind this would be centered around the fact that the schools can see you didn't just get A's in some easier (usually) gen. ed. classes, but the difficult science and math classes like phys, Biochem and calculus. They won't have to make assumptions about these classes and your abilities etc. Does anyone know or am I just asking an obviously pointless question (and please I don't want to hear that there's no such thing as a stupid question :D ).

Members don't see this ad.

schools do like to see an upward grade trend so getting more A's when in your junior/senior level classes does help. You definitely want to be comfortably above 3.0 across the board though.

DO schools do not count math in the science GPA so I would concentrate on upper division science courses if the math was not required for your degree.

Yeah, I agree that you will want to be at least 3.5 but I think having an A in Medical Micro and Biochem looks better and an A in Music history but maybe not, as a broad humanities background looks very good too. Just a thought really. Again this way the schools can see you can get A's in the upper lvl science classes usually more associated with med school. The reason I ask is becuase this is me. I have gone out of my way to take these upper lvl science classes now (Just finished 1st quarter of biochem and calc. 2), got an A- in biochem and an A in calc but wondered am I waisting time with these when I could be taking easier classes which would in turn afford me more study time for the MCAT. Thanks Hunter for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a 3.5 science GPA and you are done with med school prereqs I would not take anymore science classes unless it is part of your major or you are truly interested in them for MCAT, med school, favorite subject etc.

I am taking a language course for my last year because it is spoken in my city and a stat class because I want to get minor in it in hopes that it will help my CV if I do research. Also I'm taking only 12 credits in hopes that it will give me more time to play my bass guitar, spend time with family, workout and work.

This may be your last shot to choose something intersting that you want to learn. There are many ways for you to look at this situation.

I took the easiest classes my last two years for the purpose of having an upward trend ... got straight A's and was commended on what a great job I did finishing college. So, take more easy classes and get the A's. They see the A's more than what class it was (I got in to many schools this way) ;)