A questioned about being married and in med school

Started by Artimacia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Artimacia

can do stuff real good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning on getting married within the next few years (assuming everything works out). My boyfriend is joining the Marines (life long dream, as mine dream is med school). I am hoping to get in to med school somewhere, hopefully a good one where my then husband would be able to stay at a nearby base. If everything works out while he stays in the military, during medical school, our housing will be mostly paid for and so will our food (monthly allowences). Also, he may be on tour while I spend long hours studying and dealing with school, so we will each have our time to focus on our work without feeling neglected by one another (not saying we won't miss each other, but we will both be busy). I'm hoping that this will really help both of us. Any advice on how to make things run smoothly?

*question, i mean
 
I am planning on getting married within the next few years (assuming everything works out). My boyfriend is joining the Marines (life long dream, as mine dream is med school). I am hoping to get in to med school somewhere, hopefully a good one where my then husband would be able to stay at a nearby base. If everything works out while he stays in the military, during medical school, our housing will be mostly paid for and so will our food (monthly allowences). Also, he may be on tour while I spend long hours studying and dealing with school, so we will each have our time to focus on our work without feeling neglected by one another (not saying we won't miss each other, but we will both be busy). I'm hoping that this will really help both of us. Any advice on how to make things run smoothly?

I don't want to come across like I'm bashing ANYONE or their ambitions. Just wanted to make that little disclaimer. But you do realize don't you that the military isn't particularly going to care if you're going to med school at location X if they'd rather station him at location Y, right? Just like if you were employed, they would transfer him to another location in a heartbeat if they wanted him there, without a care in the world about you having to quit your job and find another in the new location. Also, I certainly don't know this info myself, but just how many military bases are there located "near" (commuting distance) a medical school? I don't doubt that there is one, but I do doubt there are lots, and what if you get into a school that DOESN'T have a base nearby?

As far as housing and food goes, it ain't free. The fact that it's a housing or food 'allowance' doesn't mean it's free, it just suggests (again I don't know the details) that there's a restriction on how you can spend that money. It's part of his salary/benefits package, just like he would have with ANY OTHER JOB. I caution against looking at things like that with rose colored glasses, and urge you to remember that claims like 'free food, free board' that are actually just allowances are tools they use to recruit inexperienced and uneducated teenagers who don't realize that it's just their salary. I'm not trying to knock the military by saying this, I just want to point out some things you may or may not have thought of.

As far as you both being busy and thus not feeling neglected, well, sorry. You're going to feel neglected. I'm about to start 3rd year, and my wife is a teacher and is also working on her M.S. We're both very busy. We both feel neglected by the other at times. We have a great relationship, and we deal with these issues as they arise, but it's challenging at times. The fact that you'll both be busy just means that you'll both feel neglected rather than just one of you. In a strong relationship, you can work it out though. You just have to make sure to take time for each other.

How far along are you in school/careers BTW? And yes, this is a thinly veiled way of asking how old you are, whippersnapper ;-) I ask because I wonder if you're going to have to find a way to make it through undergrad at one location then move to medical school somewhere else, all while dealing with the uncertainty of a military family's lifestyle. I wish you all the luck in the world, and I hope things work out wonderfully for you! I don't want to sugarcoat the challenges you'll face either though. Good luck 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe i should have just kept this to myself...nevermind okay

I hope I didn't come across like I was berating you or being mean in any sort of way, I genuinely want to be helpful and supportive. Maybe if you had a more specific sort of question it would be easier (for me at least) to give you useful feedback. It seemed you were concerned about how the military life/medschool life would work day-to-day, and how to handle the stresses, and I was trying to respond to that by mentioning some of the challenges you might be facing and, when I thought I had a decent recommendation, some of the things I thought might help. I definitely didn't mean to make you feel like I was attacking you or anything of that nature, so if I came across that way I apologize, and I'd be happy to try again in a different way.
 
She's sad now......that actually made me sad for a second when I read it. 🙁

It did come across as a bit harsh, but it is pretty true. Better to be hurt now and know what to expect than get into it and feel trapped.

MattD's points all deserve some consideration. 👍

Also, being "busy" with school isn't a substitute for time with your husband. If you're not spending time together, what's the point of being married? 4 years is a long time to be apart.
 
Here's a toast to all the married people and the crazy joyride we have ahead of us. 👍 Two toasts for any married people with kids. 👍 👍
 
I am currently in the Marine Corps, so this is coming from an insiders point of view. Depending on the job that he chooses in the Marine Corps and where he is stationed there is a possiblity for you to attend Medical School around the area. That still will not sway the Marine Corps from placing him where they need him. With a few questions I might be able to help.

1. Has he enlisted yet? Signed the contract and raised his hand...the whole nine yards.

2. What job is he looking at doing in the Marine Corps?

3. If #1 has not been fufilled yet PM me and I will be able to help you out with him getting a duty station that is friendly and close to a few different schools.

I wish you the best of luck to you have a hard road ahead. Deployments will happen. I am married, am in the Marine Corps, go to school full time so I can tell you that anything is possible you just have to put your mind to it, and have the support of those around you. As for the other people that have posted they do offer great points so dont take it personally but take it as constructive critcisim.
 
She's sad now......that actually made me sad for a second when I read it. 🙁

Yeah I know, somehow she conveyed this sense of hurt and despair in those few short words. I felt guilty as hell, and I wasn't even trying to be mean in the first place!

I guess I'm too curt in my replys on message boards, but it's just that i'm trying to bang out a lot of thoughts quickly so my life isn't consumed 🙂
 
Matt, your post makes me feel shallow when I wonder how the Ole Ball Coach is doing this Spring, and only 82,000 people showed up for the Spring game. Coach probably felt crappy because that was 10,000 less than the Spring game last year. But why am I worrying about the Ole Ball Coach, he makes enough money, he is ok. I will let this go.
 
Just get a prenup, statistically speaking your marriage is unlikely to last. You seem like an idealistic person, hope life doesn't correct that.. good luck.
 
It's definitely a tough crowd in here. I'm married as a med student, and I think it works out fine. I'll add the disclaimer that my wife and I aren't separated by the military or anything like that, but I'd still like to say that marriage in med school isn't bad at all. It all depends on you and your spouse. If you're in it for the long haul, you'll have no problems. It doesn't matter at all what a bunch of other people say. It's entirely situation dependent. And don't let a bunch of people tell you how hard they think your life will be either. Marriages have survived wars, economic collapse, diasters and all sorts of crappy sitatuations....don't let a bunch of pre-meds tell you that med school or being a doctor is something that a marriage can't withstand. That's total crap. It's just med school, it isn't that hard....
 
I'm a married medical student in my last year. For the life of me, I have no idea why there's this perception that it's *hard* to be married while in medical school. As a married person, I'm part of a team. My husband is my friend, but he's also a strong support. He earns money, cooks dinner, listens to me vent and rubs my feet when they hurt. He makes every part of medical school easier and better, not to mention more fun. My time in medical school has been wonderful for our marriage.

Being single in medical school, that sounds rough to me.
 
I'm a married medical student in my last year. For the life of me, I have no idea why there's this perception that it's *hard* to be married while in medical school. As a married person, I'm part of a team. My husband is my friend, but he's also a strong support. He earns money, cooks dinner, listens to me vent and rubs my feet when they hurt. He makes every part of medical school easier and better, not to mention more fun. My time in medical school has been wonderful for our marriage.

Being single in medical school, that sounds rough to me.

Agreed, it's not. Assuming of course that it wasn't going to be hard anyway due to your personalities 🙂 My point was more along the lines of the fact that the military could easily require him to move around. In that case, what is she supposed to do, drop out of med school to follow? Stay behind and live separately (that living allowance isn't going to cover TWO rents...)? Those were the challenges I was more interested in highlighting. In no way do I want to suggest that they can't do it, or that it won't work, or anything of that nature. I just wanted to provide some food for thought, so they didn't wind up blindsided.


I agree also, being single would have made med school suck much more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My point was more along the lines of the fact that the military could easily require him to move around. In that case, what is she supposed to do, drop out of med school to follow?

I agree, the military piece could present some challenges.
 
Just get a prenup, statistically speaking your marriage is unlikely to last. You seem like an idealistic person, hope life doesn't correct that.. good luck.

By that same logic - statistically, you are unlikely to be accepted into medical school... Be nice

I totally agree with yadayadadude.

I am a married medical student about to start my last year. Medical school and marriage are totally doable. There are many days where I work harder than my wife and others when I am home by noon and she doesn’t get home from work until 7:30. I personally didn’t find medical school to be as time consuming as everyone says it is. I felt there was plenty of time to hang out with my wife and our/my friends. The Marines thing may be hard, but I don’t have too much experience with that. I know there was one girl in my class that was getting married to a naval pilot. She spent the first of medical school single and away from him. The second year they were married and away – the 3rd year she was able to transfer to a school closer to where he was stationed.

Residency is going to be a bit more complicated to medical school – I am worried sick as I am going into Neurosurgery, a somewhat time demanding specialty.
 
I'm married as a med student, and I think it works out fine. ...marriage in med school isn't bad at all. It's just med school, it isn't that hard....

I'm a married medical student in my last year. For the life of me, I have no idea why there's this perception that it's *hard* to be married while in medical school. As a married person, I'm part of a team. My husband is my friend, but he's also a strong support. He earns money, cooks dinner, listens to me vent and rubs my feet when they hurt. He makes every part of medical school easier and better, not to mention more fun. My time in medical school has been wonderful for our marriage.

Being single in medical school, that sounds rough to me.

I am a married medical student about to start my last year. Medical school and marriage are totally doable. I personally didn’t find medical school to be as time consuming as everyone says it is. I felt there was plenty of time to hang out with my wife and our/my friends.

True words of inspiration! I plan on getting married before I go to medical school, so reading these posts (as opposed to the thousands of other doomsday scenarios that are usually posted) really helps to put me at ease.
 
Qualifications: I'm married, have a 13 month old son, and we're planning on another child in the near future.

The bottom line to marriage in med-school is this: Medical school is stressful, there are long hours, and you need to work at it to do well - kinda like marriage.
Med-school is really another "job" when you break it down, but you often can't just leave the workday "at the office."

You've both prioritized your dreams above being together physically, which is fine, but again, you'll need to prepare yourselves for the strain it will generate. The flip side is that if both never realized your dreams, you both risk being untrue to yourselves and the resentment that may accompany it later in life.

So...Tips? Be in the moment when you're together - don't be distracted, plan your time together well, and maintain close contact (this is the internet age after all.) The military adds another dimension of stress to the situation, so prepare for those challenges ahead of time also.

Good luck - it will take more work than a "normal" marriage, even a typical med-school marriage, but you can make it through 🙂
 
If you are going to be married during med school, choose your partner wisely and do not get divorced. Your spouse will own a piece of your MD degree as a property right and have a lien on your future earnings.
 
I'm married in med school, and we even did long distance for a while during first year. Neither of us have military affiliations though. My husband travels extensively for work, and as OP mentioned, that actually helps because neither of us feels neglected (at each most of the time).

@MattD might have been tougher than he intended, but his points were all valid. You may not have much of a choice of where to go to school and residency geographically, and your future husband may not have a choice of where he is stationed and/or deployed. It's not fun, but important to think about what you'll do if that happens.