A quick tip for your essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure how stating “I realized I needed to check my privilege” shows an inability to control emotions.
I believe that saying “I realized I needed to check my privilege” is a poor and unprofessional way of going about expressing this notion. It neither addresses what privilege the speaker/writer believes they have in this situation and does not communicate what underprivileged group is being affected nor how they were affected.

A blanket statement such as “check your privilege” is, as stated, underwhelming and not conducive to entering a dialogue or conveying true understanding of the situation. Like when my daughter is in trouble and says “sorry” but I ask her “why are you sorry” and she says “because I am.” Do you think she understands why she should be sorry or what the context is?

That is a silly analogy, but the point being that statements without displays of understanding are empty and immature. A better means of communication would convey both understanding and intent. If you are the one coming from a position of authority (the one who needs to “check their privilege”) it is your responsibility to ensure you don’t hurt others. And failure to communicate properly can hurt others.

A better way, hypothetical scenario, as opposed to “Seeing the other students didn’t have the same resources I had, I checked my privilege and stopped talking,” one could say “Seeing the other students didn’t have the same resources, I recognized that my speaking to them in that manner could be seen as looking down on them or pity, so I stopped talking.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I believe that saying “I realized I needed to check my privilege” is a poor and unprofessional way of going about expressing this notion. It neither addresses what privilege the speaker/writer believes they have in this situation and does not communicate what underprivileged group is being affected nor how they were affected.

A blanket statement such as “check your privilege” is, as stated, underwhelming and not conducive to entering a dialogue or conveying true understanding of the situation. Like when my daughter is in trouble and says “sorry” but I ask her “why are you sorry” and she says “because I am.” Do you think she understands why she should be sorry or what the context is?

That is a silly analogy, but the point being that statements without displays of understanding are empty and immature. A better means of communication would convey both understanding and intent. If you are the one coming from a position of authority (the one who needs to “check their privilege”) it is your responsibility to ensure you don’t hurt others. And failure to communicate properly can hurt others.

A better way, hypothetical scenario, as opposed to “Seeing the other students didn’t have the same resources I had, I checked my privilege and stopped talking,” one could say “Seeing the other students didn’t have the same resources, I recognized that my speaking to them in that manner could be seen as looking down on them or pity, so I stopped talking.”
I personally never used the phrase in an application and found better ways to express myself. Anyone who uses the phrase could benefit from better writing, but they are not displaying uncontrolled emotions.

Reactions: 14 users
Just because you're underrepresented minority of whatever type does not give you a carte blanke to blast anyone and everyone you feel don't share your expressed opinions.

B-b-b-but muh intersectionalism

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally never used the phrase in an application and found better ways to express myself. Anyone who uses the phrase could benefit from better writing, but they are not displaying uncontrolled emotions.
Oh is that what we are debating? I agree. I thought it was just the efficacy of using those “PC SJW Phrases” as a paraphrased version of the rest of the thread.

Nah, they are not displaying uncontrolled emotions, just inadequate vocabulary.

Embryonal Carcinoma 1
Mr. dr. Prof. Patrick 0

A number of responses in this thread make me glad that there's a CARS section on MCAT.

I'm even more amazed that even after multiple clarifications by my colleague Homeskool, that some people still don't get it. Good luck to those people with their apps.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
Medical school applications should be professional. Intended or not, phrases such as "check your privilege" are a poor choice of words at best, and immature at worst. It's possible and acceptable to discuss how privileged one feels without resorting to these types of overused buzzwords and expressions. More often than not, "check your privilege" is used as a retort or in a dismissive manner. I believe in underprivileged groups, and belong to a few myself, but do find this phrase to be quite obnoxious.

Similarly, avoid being too casual and colloquial during the interviews. While every effort is made to make the day casual and inviting, it is still a formal event. Just my humble thoughts

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Medical school applications should be professional. Intended or not, phrases such as "check your privilege" are a poor choice of words at best, and immature at worst. It's possible and acceptable to discuss how privileged one feels without resorting to these types of overused buzzwords and expressions. More often than not, "check your privilege" is used as a retort or in a dismissive manner. I believe in underprivileged groups, and belong to a few myself, but do find this phrase to be quite obnoxious.

Similarly, avoid being too casual and colloquial during the interviews. While every effort is made to make the day casual and inviting, it is still a formal event. Just my humble thoughts
Yeah I completely agree with this. I do disagree with people devolving into hysterics about SJWs (oh the irony), and also the idea that “people of color” is an offensive political term to be avoided. I can’t think of how else I would identify myself and ally myself with other minorities since “colored person” has extremely negative historical connotations. I’m not seeing why that phrase should be offensive to anyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Dear SDNers,

I don't care how much of the Kool-Aid you've drunk; that's entirely your own business. But I offer this counsel: it's really best to avoid using trendy SJW terms like "check your privilege" (or any variant thereof) in your med school applications.

You never know who's going to review them.

Love,
HomeSkool

Edit: Since several people have misunderstood the intent of this post, allow me to clarify. This has nothing to do with my personal beliefs on underprivileged groups or my reaction to trendy, loaded turns of phrase. It has everything to do with professionalism and figuring out how to express yourself in terms neutral enough to be acceptable to a diverse audience.

Great advice. Sorry you got attacked by angry preallo posters... but again, this is preallo we're talking about so the responses and behavior are expected.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Oh gosh they are going after @HomeSkool now!!!
Great advice. Sorry you got attacked by angry preallo posters... but again, this is preallo we're talking about so the responses and behavior are expected.
Wait, those were attacks? :unsure:

After the absolute s***storm of abuse that was residency, I thought those were little cuddly tickles.

I've already had sooooo much worse than preallo could possibly dish out. It's like water off a duck's back now.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
It's really sad seeing some of my favorite posters bickering. Oh well.

Homeskool I'm going to make an assumption that you're closer in age to us than most attendings. Maybe 40s so you probably see both sides of the issue.

There's a divide currently happening with social justice similar to those divides that happened in the 60s and 80s that is creating a chasm between old and young.

I personally believe that students shouldn't be put at a disadvantage for using buzzwords. Some students aren't afforded the ability to better express themselves and so they use the television as a way to formulate their speech. Should poor kids be put at a disadvantage because they cannot formulate their speech? I don't think so. But if given the opportunity to better mince these words I think we should be able to say these things in a politically correct manner to appease both old and young.

At the end of the day millenials and Gen Zers will have to adjust whether we want to or not. It's part of the professional world to know when to sit down and shut up.

Reactions: 3 users
Wait, those were attacks? :unsure:

After the absolute s***storm of abuse that was residency, I thought those were little cuddly tickles.

I've already had sooooo much worse than preallo could possibly dish out. It's like water off a duck's back now.

I'm glad. I was disappointed that this thread got derailed by a series of heated arguments simply due to misinterpreting what you said and unleashing their rage at you, which i found to be completely unnecessary and upsetting. We lost some senior members in the past because of the nonstop disrespect they experienced here, and I hate to see more senior members and adcoms feeling the same way. Preallo suffers from this problem for years unfortunately.

Nonetheless, your suggestions as always are great and will add them to the directory.

Wow! Weird thread! Great example of the hoops applicants will go through to appear apolitical as they strive to enter one of the biggest political arenas in the country today

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Should poor kids be put at a disadvantage because they cannot formulate their speech? I don't think so. But if given the opportunity to better mince these words I think we should be able to say these things in a politically correct manner to appease both old and young.
Overall I agree with the sentiment of your post, but isn’t the college education these applicants went through that very opportunity to gain the vocabulary needed for discourse?

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's really sad seeing some of my favorite posters bickering. Oh well.

Homeskool I'm going to make an assumption that you're closer in age to us than most attendings. Maybe 40s so you probably see both sides of the issue.

There's a divide currently happening with social justice similar to those divides that happened in the 60s and 80s that is creating a chasm between old and young.

I personally believe that students shouldn't be put at a disadvantage for using buzzwords. Some students aren't afforded the ability to better express themselves and so they use the television as a way to formulate their speech. Should poor kids be put at a disadvantage because they cannot formulate their speech? I don't think so. But if given the opportunity to better mince these words I think we should be able to say these things in a politically correct manner to appease both old and young.

At the end of the day millenials and Gen Zers will have to adjust whether we want to or not. It's part of the professional world to know when to sit down and shut up.

I mean... The fact that med schools require a bachelors weeds out all poor people that learn English using CNN.

• Haha
Wow! Weird thread! Great example of the hoops applicants will go through to appear apolitical as they strive to enter one of the biggest political arenas in the country today

You gotta hit both sides. So if you say "I checked my privilege" you also need to talk about your love for Donald. Keep the interviewer on their toes.

• Haha
get rid of this.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Overall I agree with the sentiment of your post, but isn’t the college education these applicants went through that very opportunity to gain the vocabulary needed for discourse?
I mean... The fact that med schools require a bachelors weeds out all poor people that learn English using CNN.
I'm sure you all studied for the P/S section of the MCAT? Very millennial I'd say! I wouldn't be surprised if many borrowed from it for some of their terminology.

You gotta hit both sides. So if you say "I checked my privilege" you also need to talk about your love for Donald. Keep the interviewer on their toes.
Aight, Trump got brought to the thread. I’m out. Peace! Lol

• Haha
A number of responses in this thread make me glad that there's a CARS section on MCAT.

I'm even more amazed that even after multiple clarifications by my colleague Homeskool, that some people still don't get it. Good luck to those people with their apps.

This post inevitably helps me understand why schools favor non-traditional applicants who have ample life, professional experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
People do a good job of pretending to be apolitical until about then end of 1st year

Recently got lectured about how much better US healthcare would be under communism.

I wish that was a joke.

• Haha
  • Love
People do a good job of pretending to be apolitical until about then end of 1st year

Recently got lectured about how much better US healthcare would be under communism.

I wish that was a joke.

This prompted me to look up healthcare in Russia and I found this gem:

I just read about an Icelandic woman that went to a Russian hospital complaining of heartburn. After being given a shot in the butt without warning, enduring a filthy, bloody bathroom, and a bed with soiled sheets her Russian speaking husband had to prevent the doctors from engaging in surgery to "make sure that the internal organs" were "in order." She obviously didn't stick around for the surgery...

If this is a dig at me, I happened to do quite well on CARS and have done pretty well this application cycle, too.

Even after clarification, the condescension in the original post was pretty uncalled for. Not everyone here hero worships him and that doesn’t make us any less intelligent. In fact, being able to think for oneself is a trait I would expect to see in an intelligent person.

This post inevitably helps me understand why schools favor non-traditional applicants who have ample life, professional experiences.

Again, if this is directed at me, you are making a very weird and untrue assumption about my background.

Reactions: 19 users
Embryonal is one of the most genuine individuals I've met in this forum and they're very accomplished with a PhD and a very successful cycle.

I enjoy everyone making posts here and I think you all are very wonderful so let's keep the ad hominem to a minimum.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
If this is a dig at me, I happened to do quite well on CARS and have done pretty well this application cycle, too.

Even after clarification, the condescension in the original post was pretty uncalled for. Not everyone here hero worships him and that doesn’t make us any less intelligent. In fact, being able to think for oneself is a trait I would expect to see in an intelligent person.

Again, if this is directed at me, you are making a very weird and untrue assumption about my background.

Something to keep in mind is this forum suffers from many deep and toxic problems that have been persisting for years, and this thread unfortunately serves as another example of the malignant environment.

Reactions: 4 users
Embryonal is one of the most genuine individuals I've met in this forum and they're very accomplished with a PhD and a very successful cycle.

I enjoy everyone making posts here and I think you all are very wonderful so let's keep the ad hominem to a minimum.
I also feel like using phrases like “you’ve drunk the Kool-Aid” pretty clearly indicates this post was designed to be condescending and inflammatory. I don’t really think it accomplished anything other than start an unnecessary flame war, but that’s just me :corny:I mean, did anybody change their mind on anything after reading this mess of a thread?

Anyway, you’re wonderful @EmbryonalCarcinoma, and sorry about the subtweeting by people who weren’t brave enough to @

Reactions: 16 users
also feel like using phrases like “you’ve drunk the Kool-Aid” pretty clearly indicates this post was designed to be condescending and inflammatory.
To be fair, while this isn’t the military, verbiage like this is very much engrained into the day to day lexicon of current and former military members such as Homeskool. The crass attitude to me makes a lot of sense, however outside of that context I understand the inflammatory nature of it. I do not believe that @HomeSkool intended the inflammatory context that this phrase is typically used in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know when wearing a white coat will be considered a "micro-aggression" due to the WebMDs feeling patronized by "real doctors" telling them that their homeopathist's assertion that vaccines are actually poison used to destroy underprivileged communities is patently false.

• Haha
I want to know when wearing a white coat will be considered a "micro-aggression" due to the WebMDs feeling patronized by "real doctors" telling them that their homeopathist's assertion that vaccines are actually poison used to destroy underprivileged communities is patently false.
I... see this is what I mean. You're inventing bogeymen that don't even exist in order to justify some larger anger at "SJWs". I agree that the Tumblr variety of social justice in which everyone and anyone is racist can be exhausting, but I can pretty safely say that people like that aren't applying to med school. The med students I know who are interested in social justice and might conceivably use a phrase like "check your privilege" really only care about things like representation in medicine, access to healthcare, and health disparities. I think the phrase in and of itself has almost become a meme, so it should be avoided, but the idea behind it is valid.

I agree with @Moko and @Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick that phrasing is important, because no one likes being lectured and talked down to by people who think they're superior. But that same philosophy also applies to the first post on this thread.

Reactions: 12 users
I... see this is what I mean. You're inventing bogeymen that don't even exist in order to justify some larger anger at "SJWs". I agree that the Tumblr variety of social justice in which everyone and anyone is racist can be exhausting, but I can pretty safely say that people like that aren't applying to med school. The med students I know who are interested in social justice and might conceivably use a phrase like "check your privilege" really only care about things like representation in medicine, access to healthcare, and health disparities. I think the phrase in and of itself has almost become a meme, so it should be avoided, but the idea behind it is valid.

I agree with @Moko and @Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick that phrasing is important, because no one likes being lectured and talked down to by people who think they're superior. But that same philosophy also applies to the first post on this thread.
People who point out "micro-aggressions" and "check your privilege" are not real social justice warriors.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
People who point out "micro-aggressions" and "check your privilege" are not real social justice warriors.
No one has used either phrase seriously except for the unnamed applicant from OP. No one had mentioned "micro-aggressions" either, until you brought it up for some unknown, but definitely good-faith reason

Reactions: 8 users
I wonder why you think that? I know that the concept of microaggressions can seem laughable if you don't explore it fully, but over time, they really can make for an unwelcoming environment to people on the receiving end of them. Before some 50-year-old doctor tells me I'm not cut out for medicine if I can't take insults, that's not really what this is about. It's more so that sometimes microaggressions can reveal underlying presumptions or biases against people. I don't think it's the most important issue in the world and sometimes they're overexaggerated, but trying to be conscious of your use of them can be really helpful in establishing rapport with colleagues and patients of backgrounds different than yours. I ultimately think that being cognizant of how your words and actions impact people will make you into a better physician.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users
I wonder why you think that? I know that the concept of microaggressions can seem laughable if you don't explore it fully, but over time, they really can make for an unwelcoming environment to people on the receiving end of them. Before some 50-year-old doctor tells me I'm not cut out for medicine if I can't take insults, that's not really what this is about. It's more so that sometimes microaggressions can reveal underlying presumptions or biases against people based on race and gender. I don't think it's the most important issue in the world, but trying to be conscious of your use of them can be really helpful in establishing rapport with colleagues and patients of backgrounds different than yours. I ultimately think that being cognizant of how your words and actions impact people will make you into a better physician.
When I think of the true social justice warriors, I think of people who actually facilitate social change, like people who advocate for abortion rights, equality in pay for genders, these types of things. Telling someone that they are exhibiting a "micro-aggression" because they stand with their left foot forward while talking due to exhibiting toxic masculinity in their posture is absurd. Also, the term "micro-aggression" is often used when no other valid point about an injustice or wrong can be addressed. It is a way for people with little intellectual argument to "one up" someone who disagrees with them. Calling this group of oversensitive pseudo-liberals a "social justice warrior" is an insult.

When I think of the true social justice warriors, I think of people who actually facilitate social change, like people who advocate for abortion rights, equality in pay for genders, these types of things. Telling someone that they are exhibiting a "micro-aggression" because they stand with their left foot forward while talking due to exhibiting toxic masculinity in their posture is absurd. Also, the term "micro-aggression" is often used when no other valid point about an injustice or wrong can be addressed. It is a way for people with little intellectual argument to "one up" someone who disagrees with them. Calling this group of oversensitive pseudo-liberals a "social justice warrior" is an insult.

You clearly don't know what a microaggression actually is. Your example doesn't even fit the actual definition. These are microaggressions.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
4C9F1D81-2248-4103-AA6F-2A838F948ADF.jpeg

My first SDN meme :’)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
View attachment 284335
My first SDN meme :’)

The whole thread is a strawman argument based on several misinterpretations (and heated exchanges) on the initial advice. And the current arguments have nothing to do with application advice and are derailing into sociopolitical arguments.

Can I play a slight devil's advocate here? Isn't learning about others one of the biggest reasons helping the underserved is important for medical school admissions? Is it not beneficial to my life if I can learn little bit about the world outside of my bubble? Obviously altruism needs no reward, but I have definitely learned a lot about cultures/races/people outside my own through service and other experiences. I will never understand what many of you go through to a full extent. That's just the way life is, but I don't feel like it is productive to have an attitude of "you will never understand me." Isn't it enough that I am trying?

You clearly don't know what a microaggression actually is. Your example doesn't even fit the actual definition. These are microaggressions.

This just seems like a list of reasons to not even try and connect with people different than you for fear of offending them.

The whole thread is a strawman argument based on several misinterpretations (and heated exchanges) on the initial advice. And the current arguments have nothing to do with application advice and are derailing into sociopolitical arguments.
You’re right, a lot of my last few comments haven’t been relevant to the initial post. I still stand by the idea that the main point of this thread is that even if an idea is well-intentioned, if it rubs people the wrong way while you’re communicating it, then you’re doing something wrong. For that reason, I’d say OP could have used a bit of that advice himself. I understand his point, but it wasn’t communicated very well.

Some of the micro-aggressions listed are completely valid. However, it appears that they try to interpret every interaction as a racial interaction. If you tell someone to be quiet, and they are not white, is this a de facto micro-aggression?

You’re right, a lot of my last few comments haven’t been relevant to the initial post. I still stand by the idea that the main point of this thread is that even if an idea is well-intentioned, if it rubs people the wrong way while you’re communicating it, then you’re doing something wrong. For that reason, I’d say OP could have used a bit of that advice himself. I understand his point, but it was shoddily stated.

And that point regarding delivery of advice is noted and edited in original post. The current arguments have nothing to do with application advice and are just getting heated and divisive. So I hope the derailing stops and the focus is shifted back to application advice.

We have a political forum to discuss the nuances of social justice if the discussions need to continue.

I could foresee someone asking me this question.

No. This was not directed at you. I did not specify which person made me feel that way.

Indeed. If this keeps going down the SPF rabbit hole, it's going to end up with the thread being closed. The topic of the thread is whether or not it is professional to use buzzwords in your application. It happens to be about SJW buzzwords. If people keep arguing about identity politics, I'm just going to close it because that's not actually what the thread is about.

• Love
And for the record, "drinking the kool-aid" is an extremely common phrase in the military that just means you've bought into the company line. It is sometimes used to be derogatory, as in "he drank the kool-aid and is off the deep end" or something, but it just as often is used neutrally or in a positive sense, such as "if you just drink the kool-aid a little, it will make you a better person."

I know the cool thing is to find things to get offended at in everything, but blasting someone for being condescending about not seeing other people's perspectives while simultaneously dismissing a huge part of their life that might have shaped the phrasing and language they use (outside of obvious racist/sexist/etc things) demonstrates a real lack of self awareness. That is not directed at anyone in particular, but if it offends you then maybe you should rethink the assumptions you make about people.

This reminds me of the hoaxers who made the fake journal articles once they started to figure that those who've drunk the Kool-Aid are essentially in a circle-jerk where "only certain conclusions are allowed, like those that make whiteness and masculinity problematic"

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
And for the record, "drinking the kool-aid" is an extremely common phrase in the military that just means you've bought into the company line. It is sometimes used to be derogatory, as in "he drank the kool-aid and is off the deep end" or something, but it just as often is used neutrally or in a positive sense, such as "if you just drink the kool-aid a little, it will make you a better person."

I know the cool thing is to find things to get offended at in everything, but blasting someone for being condescending about not seeing other people's perspectives while simultaneously dismissing a huge part of their life that might have shaped the phrasing and language they use (outside of obvious racist/sexist/etc things) demonstrates a real lack of self awareness. That is not directed at anyone in particular, but if it offends you then maybe you should rethink the assumptions you make about people.
The same could be said for the phrase/applicants that OP was blasting in the first place.

At first glance, I thought OP was specifically targeting African Americans by telling them they’re drinking too much kool-aid (stereotype) and to stop saying “check your privilege”. But matthew9thirtyfive came to the rescue with that clarification. Seems there are multiple groups of people that need to be more considerate of what they write.

Status
Not open for further replies.