A quick tip for your essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeSkool

Excelsior! ASA Member!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDNers,

I don't care how much of the Kool-Aid you've drunk; that's entirely your own business. But I offer this counsel: it's really best to avoid using trendy SJW terms like "check your privilege" (or any variant thereof) in your med school applications.

You never know who's going to review them.

Love,
HomeSkool

Edit: Since several people have misunderstood the intent of this post, allow me to clarify. This has nothing to do with my personal beliefs on underprivileged groups or my reaction to trendy, loaded turns of phrase. It has everything to do with professionalism and figuring out how to express yourself in terms neutral enough to be acceptable to a diverse audience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users
You've read applications that said, "check your privilege"? As in telling you, the reviewer, to check your privilege?

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Dear HomeSkool,

I don’t care how much of the other brand of Kool-Aid you’ve drunk, but I’d rather attend a school that recognizes the existence of underprivileged groups.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t care how much of the other brand of Kool-Aid you’ve drunk, but I’d rather attend a school that recognizes the existence of underprivileged groups.

Then I think it would be disingenuous for you NOT to include "Check your privilege" in your application, would you agree?

Reactions: 1 user
Dear HomeSkool,

Individual app reviewers are hardly representative of a school as a whole and even the most liberal schools will have more conservative faculty and adcoms. Expressing strong political opinions is not how you win a game centered on risk-reduction

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 14 users
Individual app reviewers are hardly representative of a school as a whole and even the most liberal schools will have more conservative faculty and adcoms. Expressing strong political opinions is not how you win a game centered on risk-reduction

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile
Acknowledging the existence of underprivileged groups is not exactly a strong political opinion.

Reactions: 15 users

Now I regret filling my application with hashtags.
#MD2Be #CheckYourPrivilege #2Cool4School

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Acknowledging the existence of underprivileged groups is not exactly a strong political opinion.

You're not understanding HomeSkool's advice. Nothing in it suggests that HomeSkool's school does not recognize underprivileged groups. The phrase "Check your privilege" is unprofessional for a variety of reasons that you should already understand at this point.

Reactions: 22 users
It's troubling that you see no way to acknowledge the existence of underprivileged group other than the use of charged SJW buzzwords. Troubling. But informative.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
You're not understanding HomeSkool's advice. Nothing in it suggests that HomeSkool's school does not recognize underprivileged groups. The phrase "Check your privilege" is unprofessional for a variety of reasons that you should already understand at this point.
He also said "or any variant thereof." I highly doubt somebody actually wrote the phrase, "check your privilege" but maybe they wrote something like "and then I realized that I needed to check my privilege."

Reactions: 3 users
It's troubling that you see no way to acknowledge the existence of underprivileged group than to use charged SJW buzzwords. Troubling. But informative.
It's troubling that you felt the need to create a whole thread about "SJW buzzwords." Troubling. But informative.

I checked my privilege in some secondaries and am doing ok

Members don't see this ad :)
You've read applications that said, "check your privilege"? As in telling you, the reviewer, to check your privilege?
Not me personally. But variants thereof.

Also, let me point this out: I haven't said how I personally feel about the phrase, and I won't. The flavor and quantity of Kool-Aid I choose to drink are my own business. What I have said is that "check your privilege" is an SJW buzzword and that it's exceedingly foolish to use it in a med school application. Both of those are true statements.

Part of demonstrating sound judgment is understanding how to convey your thoughts in a way that's both professional and non-alienating to a diverse audience.

Reactions: 18 users
He also said "or any variant thereof."

Whoa, check your privilege! Are you assuming gender? For all you know HomeSkool posted this because they are a minority LGBT+ who doesn't like to be told to "Check their privilege" by some wealthy white SJW in their application.

• Haha
Part of being an adult is understanding how to convey your thoughts in a way that's both professional and non-alienating to your audience.
This thread is not the best example.

• Haha
This thread is not the best example.
Indeed.

There's a big difference between an internet forum and a med school application. Different venues allow and/or demand different approaches.

Note that I edited the above post prior to your response. My original wording didn't reflect my intent very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
If you're unable to control your emotions and get offended at the simplest perceived/actual slights, you will have trouble navigating medical school and residency. You will be dealing with a wide variety of people from all backgrounds that don't share your political/social/economic/whatever views. If you choose to fight and rail at all of them you'll soon see how life can be made very miserable for you. So "check your privilege" goes both ways. Just because you're underrepresented minority of whatever type does not give you a carte blanke to blast anyone and everyone you feel don't share your expressed opinions. Be forewarned.

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
using "SJW" unironically in 2019 lmfao

using "SJW" unironically in 2019 lmfao

I think I am out of the loop because I had to google what SJW meant :confused:. I thought it was somebody's initials.

• Haha
who are all considered as underprivileged (for medical schools)?

If you're unable to control your emotions and get offended at the simplest perceived/actual slights, you will have trouble navigating medical school and residency. You will be dealing with a wide variety of people from all backgrounds that don't share your political/social/economic/whatever views. If you choose to fight and rail at all of them you'll soon see how life can be made very miserable for you. So "check your privilege" goes both ways. Just because you're underrepresented minority of whatever type does not give you a carte blanke to blast anyone and everyone you feel don't share your expressed opinions. Be forewarned.
Overall this is great advice for any professional setting. I think the last bit is especially relevant to the SDN culture, both general members and mods. Too much biased, unbalanced and preferential application of the "rules" around here... just saying

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, this whole thread was created because a physician was offended by a term used in a medical school application. Not sure why that person can’t control their emotions.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, this whole thread was created because a physician was offended by a term used in a medical school application. Not sure why that person can’t control their emotions.

As you were equally offended by incorrectly assuming that his school doesn't "recognizes the existence of underprivileged groups"? Which is an absolutely absurd and emotionally charged response to helpful advice about staying away from phrases that are considered to be unprofessional.

Whoa, check your privilege! Are you assuming gender? For all you know HomeSkool posted this because they are a minority LGBT+ who doesn't like to be told to "Check their privilege" by some wealthy white SJW in their application.
No, no, no...it doesn't work that way. See, someone (not directing this at you per say, embryonalC) that identifies as a victim, regardless if they actually have been victimized, cannot be challenged to check their privileged. The double standards of the SJW thought police are very clear on this.

Reactions: 1 user
As you were equally offended by incorrectly assuming that his school doesn't "recognizes the existence of underprivileged groups"? Which is an absolutely absurd and emotionally charged response to helpful advice about staying away from phrases that are considered to be unprofessional.
“Underprivileged groups” and “check my privilege” contain the same root word. It’s really not that much of a stretch to assume that someone who is offended by the notion that they have privilege does not recognize that there are people who are underprivileged.

No, no, no...it doesn't work that way. See, someone (not directing this at you per say, embryonalC) that identifies as a victim, regardless if they actually have been victimized, cannot be challenged to check their privileged. The double standards of the SJW thought police are very clear on this.
In my experience, most people who belong to marginalized groups recognize they have privilege in other areas.

Reactions: 8 users
In my experience, most people who belong to marginalized groups recognize they have privilege in other areas.
Yep. Am lower income than probably at least 80% of matriculants (EDIT: just looked at some data, actually closer to 90%, and I'm not even anywhere close to what you'd consider abject poverty), dysfunctional family, risk of foreclosure multiple times, constantly saw my mother make poor financial decisions since I was in elementary school, had to sometimes lend her money myself when I was in elementary school, father with both alcohol and online gambling addiction so I can hardly think of any memories with him, etc. Am white, so though I did plenty of free after-school activities with poor minority kids growing up, I still didn't have to deal with some of the things they did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Now I regret filling my application with hashtags.
#MD2Be #CheckYourPrivilege #2Cool4School
people wanna say "SJWs" are sensitive/get triggered, but look at how easy it is to rile people up with the mere mention of identity politics.

“Underprivileged groups” and “check my privilege” contain the same root word. It’s really not that much of a stretch to assume that someone who is offended by the notion that they have privilege does not recognize that there are people who are underprivileged.

1. Not necessarily true. Sure they contain "privilege" but that doesn't mean anything. Underprivileged groups usually mean poor and/or minority.

2. Just because OP is giving good advice on avoiding politically charged phrases does not mean they are offended. In fact, it sounds like you are offended just for assuming something completely incorrect.

3. OP gave good advice, and you want to complain about a preference they have regarding professionalism in medical school applications. Again, you incorrectly assume that they do not recognize underprivileged people. Do you realize what you are saying? OP is a physician who obviously has provided care to underprivileged people at some point in their life, but no, you are not going to acknowledge that. Instead, you make wrong assumptions because sure, you are trying to advocate and promote your thoughts but when you essentially attack someone for giving advice to just stay out of that genre and use more professional phrases then you come across as naive and uninformed.

Is your criticism solely on the actual phrases themselves?
How about mentioning that one acknowledges the privileges they have and the want to use those privileges to help others who don't have them?

1. Not necessarily true. Sure they contain "privilege" but that doesn't mean anything. Underprivileged groups usually mean poor and/or minority
Not really sure what you’re trying to argue here. Anyone who doesn’t belong to one of those underprivileged groups, by definition, has privilege.

As for the rest of your post, I actually agree that one shouldn’t be too political in a medical school application. I think I walked that line pretty well myself. It doesn’t mean I can’t express dissenting opinions on here. And the condescending nature of the advice doesn’t sit well with me.

This thread definitely drove home the importance of avoiding anything that could be viewed as political at any point in the application.

Is your criticism solely on the actual phrases themselves?
How about mentioning that one acknowledges the privileges they have and the want to use those privileges to help others who don't have them?

Yes, try to avoid the specific phrases because they could bother someone in admissions on either side of the political spectrum. This is a good way to go about anything in a professional sphere. Try to offend as few people as possible. Here is a list (this is pulled from Reddit, I know not the best source):
  • Patriarchy
  • Toxic, and by extension, toxic masculinity
  • Rape Culture
  • "Privilege"
  • "Triggered" and "Trigger Warning"
  • "Person of Color" (PoC) and how that's different from "Colored Person"

Michael Jackson Popcorn GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 28 users
This thread definitely drove home the importance of avoiding anything that could be viewed as political at any point in the application.

Yes, try to avoid the specific phrases because they could bother someone in admissions on either side of the political spectrum. This is a good way to go about anything in a professional sphere. Try to offend as few people as possible. Here is a list (this is pulled from Reddit, I know not the best source):
  • Patriarchy
  • Rape Culture
  • "Privilege"
It’s ironic that the word “trigger” could trigger an admissions committee member.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Not really sure what you’re trying to argue here. Anyone who doesn’t belong to one of those underprivileged groups, by definition, has privilege.

I disagree with this. Growing up as a white kid in South Texas, and being continuously bullied for my grades, glasses, and being a "gringo", I have never believed in "privilege" and never will.

• Haha
  • Wow
The root of the problem here, I think, is that it's very difficult in general for people to think of what HASN'T happened to them

• Patriarchy
  • Rape Culture
  • "Privilege"
Person of color is an offensive term now? RIP to my whole existence

Dear HomeSkool,

I believe his intent was that “check your privilege” is not a professional way of going about bringing disparities and underprivileged groups to mind. Being told to “check your privilege” and the like is just annoying. Now, saying what those privileges are and addressing them to help solve the problem in a more straight forward and helpful manner? Yah, that is perfectly fine and hopefully expected.

Edit: looks like there is an entire thread I should’ve read before replying. Oops.

Reactions: 9 users
Not me personally. But variants thereof.

Also, let me point this out: I haven't said how I personally feel about the phrase, and I won't. The flavor and quantity of Kool-Aid I choose to drink are my own business. What I have said is that "check your privilege" is an SJW buzzword and that it's exceedingly foolish to use it in a med school application. Both of those are true statements.

Part of demonstrating sound judgment is understanding how to convey your thoughts in a way that's both professional and non-alienating to a diverse audience.

Yeah, I like how the responses to this thread more than proved this point.

• Patriarchy
  • Rape Culture
  • "Privilege"
Yeah I dunno. I agree with most of those but simply the word "privilege" being taboo seems a little silly

I believe his intent was that “check your privilege” is not a professional way of going about bringing disparities and underprivileged groups to mind. Being told to “check your privilege” and the like is just annoying. Now, saying what those privileges are and addressing them to help solve the problem in a more straight forward and helpful manner? Yah, that is perfectly fine and hopefully expected.

Edit: looks like there is an entire thread I should’ve read before replying. Oops.
If it had been phrased in that way, I would have agreed. This thread was not a professional way to address this perceived problem.

It's not about a physician being offended. It's about a physician rightfully perceiving an applicant as being immature for not able to control their emotions in a professional setting.

Reactions: 12 users
It's not about a physician being offended. It's about a physician rightfully perceiving an applicant as being immature for not able to control their emotions in a professional setting.
I’m not sure how stating “I realized I needed to check my privilege” shows an inability to control emotions.

Reactions: 10 users
I’m not sure how stating “I realized I needed to check my privilege” shows an inability to control emotions.
I think it's more the baggage associated with that phrase in particular. There is no shortage of examples of individuals making outraged, illogical assertions preceded or followed by "check your privilege"

While the sentiment may be genuine and well-founded in some people, at this point saying check your privilege has become a caricature of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.