A retail scenario for pharmacy students

Started by BenJammin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If my children are still mooching off me when they are nearly 30, you can BET that I'll be controlling what cell phone they have, what type of plan, what they drive, etc. :laugh:

But health care is different.

Well if your adult child is still on your insurance plan at 30 they are mooching off you just as much...but in that case I guess you just have to let them mooch without any control to it...

But again, I think the law will NOT require you to pay for their insurance if you don't want to...
 
The law does really favor the adult child over the parents in every case.

I would hate to be paying 40K a year for John's tuition while he is failing out and partying every semester! 🙄

But again...the arguement would be the parent always have the right to NOT pay.

I think the ONLY thing the parents can do is STOP paying for everything.

Right, there is no law that says that John's parents have to keep paying for his tuition if he doesn't behave the way they want. There's no law that says parents have to pay a dime for their children's college education, period.
 
Right, there is no law that says that John's parents have to keep paying for his tuition if he doesn't behave the way they want. There's no law that says parents have to pay a dime for their children's college education, period.

Agreed. So the law should not require parents to pay for their adult child's health insurance for the same reason...since they have no right to view their child's meds...they should NOT be obligated to pay for it. Parents should have the right to opt out of paying for health insurance too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well if your adult child is still on your insurance plan at 30 they are mooching off you just as much...but in that case I guess you just have to let them mooch without any control to it...

But again, I think the law will NOT require you to pay for their insurance if you don't want to...

The law only allows adult children to stay on their parents' health plans until 26 anyway. I don't think it's unreasonable to allow your child to stay on your insurance while they are in college. I'd want my children to have good health insurance to protect them while they are in school, and the plan my husband and I have is certainly better than what they could buy from their school. In terms of "mooching," I think being on Mom/Dad's health insurance is fairly low level. But Mom/Dad need to understand that the adult child makes their own health care decisions.

My sons will have jobs and will pay most of their own living expenses while they are in college. We are saving to help with the cost of tuition/dormitory, but if they choose a very expensive private schools, they will have to chip in with loans, etc. We might keep them on the family cell phone/car insurance plan while in undergraduate, but after that, it will be their responsibility. Plus, they'll pay for their own recreational expenses, clothing, travel, etc. If they are foolish and get credit cards and run up huge balances, they will have to work to pay them down. I'm not cosigning anything, either. I paid my own way and worked throughout college, and I think that's better than just handing kids everything - they never learn independence that way. I know people MY AGE who are still getting handouts from their parents. I honestly think that's pathetic. 👎
 
Agreed. So the law should not require parents to pay for their adult child's health insurance for the same reason...since they have no right to view their child's meds...they should NOT be obligated to pay for it. Parents should have the right to opt out of paying for health insurance too.

The law does not require it. It only permits it. The parents have a choice. See above.
 
The law only allows adult children to stay on their parents' health plans until 26 anyway. I don't think it's unreasonable to allow your child to stay on your insurance while they are in college. I'd want my children to have good health insurance to protect them while they are in school, and the plan my husband and I have is certainly better than what they could buy from their school. In terms of "mooching," I think being on Mom/Dad's health insurance is fairly low level. But Mom/Dad need to understand that the adult child makes their own health care decisions.

My sons will have jobs and will pay most of their own living expenses while they are in college. We are saving to help with the cost of tuition/dormitory, but if they choose a very expensive private schools, they will have to chip in with loans, etc. We might keep them on the family cell phone/car insurance plan while in undergraduate, but after that, it will be their responsibility. Plus, they'll pay for their own recreational expenses, clothing, travel, etc. If they are foolish and get credit cards and run up huge balances, they will have to work to pay them down. I'm not cosigning anything, either. I paid my own way and worked throughout college, and I think that's better than just handing kids everything - they never learn independence that way. I know people MY AGE who are still getting handouts from their parents. I honestly think that's pathetic. 👎

I agree with what you are saying. School insurance is CHEAP (1k a year), but it does SUCK big time! 🙄

I got pretty much what your son will be getting too. My parents only paid for my undergrad and 1 year of pharmacy school. I am paying for the rest. I think the parents should only be obligated to pay up to your undergrad degree (provided that you make stellar grades of course!). The folks that have their parents pay for medical school, law school, and dental school etc. are LUCKY. I don't have that.

You will let them stay on your cellphone plan and car insurance if they choose to attend pharmacy school or medical school right? It would be MEAN to kick them off while they are still students! 😛

When I FINALLY get a job...I'll start paying for everything and live on my own.

I think adults that keep on living with their parents are pathetic...unless they are students of course.
 
I agree with what you are saying. School insurance is CHEAP (1k a year), but it does SUCK big time! 🙄

I got pretty much what your son will be getting too. My parents only paid for my undergrad and 1 year of pharmacy school. I am paying for the rest. I think the parents should only be obligated to pay up to your undergrad degree (provided that you make stellar grades of course!). The folks that have their parents pay for medical school, law school, and dental school etc. are LUCKY. I don't have that.

You will let them stay on your cellphone plan and car insurance if they choose to attend pharmacy school or medical school right? It would be MEAN to kick them off while they are still students! 😛

When I FINALLY get a job...I'll start paying for everything and live on my own.

I think adults that keep on living with their parents are pathetic...unless they are students of course.

Your parents also paid your tuition and living expenses while you were at Columbia, right?

About your question, we'll see. If they go to four years of undergraduate right out of high school and then go directly to graduate/professional school, they should be done with everything by the time they are 26. While I don't have a problem with paying for health insurance, I'm not sure about paying for living expenses if my children attend professional school. A lot can change. They might get married during that time, they might move out of our home. They might take a few years off after undergraduate and then go back. Most of my classmates supported themselves during pharmacy school. What's wrong with doing that?
 
Your parents also paid your tuition and living expenses while you were at Columbia, right?

About your question, we'll see. If they go to four years of undergraduate right out of high school and then go directly to graduate/professional school, they should be done with everything by the time they are 26. While I don't have a problem with paying for health insurance, I'm not sure about paying for living expenses if my children attend professional school. A lot can change. They might get married during that time, they might move out of our home. They might take a few years off after undergraduate and then go back. Most of my classmates supported themselves during pharmacy school. What's wrong with doing that?

Yeah they did. 😳 That was a HUGE waste of money. MY BAD. 😳

I am paying for everything now (except cellphone and car insurance) since I don't live with my relatives anymore and man do I have to budget. 🙄

There is nothing wrong with it I guess....It's alright. I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch a lot now. It's okay I guess. :laugh:

They actually taste really good since I haven't had it in a long time. 🙂 I eat it 3 times a week now at least.

Your son is really cute....it will be hard for parents that have CUTE kids to say no. I don't think I can say no to such a cute face! LOL
 
Yeah you are right. I should be a dentist at 26 yo but I dropped out. 🙄 Now I'll be a pharmacist at 28 yo.

Folks don't drop out or take time off!!! Take this as a WARNING!
 
So how about this variation on the original scenario:

Wal-Mart allows people to save their credit card information in the computer as "Quick Pay" or something catchy like that. An adult patient comes in, but his mother's card is the one stored on his profile. There's a note saying to call her before all transactions due to previous abuse of controlled substances.

I'm assuming you would need the patient's permission to give any of that information to the mother, and he has the right to say no, but then she won't pay for it. Right?
 
Right, there is no law that says that John's parents have to keep paying for his tuition if he doesn't behave the way they want. There's no law that says parents have to pay a dime for their children's college education, period.
I know many students who have been screwed by this too. The FAFSA says the family contribution is basically the entire cost, so the student is eligible for zero aid, and has to take private loans.
 
I know many students who have been screwed by this too. The FAFSA says the family contribution is basically the entire cost, so the student is eligible for zero aid, and has to take private loans.

I've heard of this too. Saw it quite a bit when I was in Student Affairs. I'm too far away from this to remember, and I never filed a FAFSA as an undergraduate, but isn't there some process students can go through to demonstrate that their parents are not supporting them so they won't have to file based on their parents' income?
 
I know many students who have been screwed by this too. The FAFSA says the family contribution is basically the entire cost, so the student is eligible for zero aid, and has to take private loans.

Those are some TERRIBLE parents. It's one thing if you can't afford to pay. I understand that...but if you can easily pay for your son's undergrad and money is no object to you AND your son makes good grades...you are an ass if you don't pay for your children's undergrad.

Reminds me of deadbeats that won't pay child support. LOSERS.

I have said this many times...I will say it ONCE more...if you are a cheapsake and don't want to spend your money...then don't have children.
 
I've heard of this too. Saw it quite a bit when I was in Student Affairs. I'm too far away from this to remember, and I never filed a FAFSA as an undergraduate, but isn't there some process students can go through to demonstrate that their parents are not supporting them so they won't have to file based on their parents' income?
-Be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
-Be an orphan (both parents deceased), ward of the court, or was a ward of the court until the age of 18;
-Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States;
-Be a graduate or professional student;
-Be a married individual;
-Have legal dependents other than a spouse;
-Be a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.

It completely screws over students who have well off parents that don't want to pay for their college👎 I was lucky to get scholarships in undergrad otherwise I'd have private loans too. My sister isn't so lucky but she had a kid when she was 18 so I guess that part of it worked out for her.
 
So how about this variation on the original scenario:
Wal-Mart allows people to save their credit card information in the computer as "Quick Pay" or something catchy like that. An adult patient comes in, but his mother's card is the one stored on his profile. There's a note saying to call her before all transactions due to previous abuse of controlled substances.
I'm assuming you would need the patient's permission to give any of that information to the mother, and he has the right to say no, but then she won't pay for it. Right?

I would not agree to that....I would tell the mother that she can either bring the card in each time she wants to charge her son's medicines, or that if we put it on the file, then the son would be able to get any prescription he wanted. I would consider it a HIPAA violation to call her before filling a prescription for the son, and I don't think the pharmacist has the responsibility to be in the middle between the parent and adult child. Now if another pharmacist had put the card on file with the note....I'd probably tell the son about the mother's request, then tell him that I can't call his mother because of HIPAA, but I also can't charge the mother's card because of the request. So he could either pay the cash price/copay or he could call his mother himself and ask her to call the pharmacy to OK payment of the prescription even though I won't tell her what it is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My point has been proven!

My intent was to play devils advocate and see how many different answers and opinions I could get. I would say I succeded! My point was to illistrate how everyone has a different interpretation of HIPAA. Something that started out so simple has blown up into one of the most complex regulations this side of the tax code!

The original intent the of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act was to protect individuals from losing their health insurance or from having pre-existing clause limitations placed on their health insurance coverage if they left or changed jobs. Thats it! It sounds so simple but wait here is the kicker! HIPAA does not define specific security requirements. It left that up to The Department of Health and Human Services. They are the ones that defined the HIPAA regulations and created the muti-billion dollar mess we have now. If anyone thinks the government getting involved in healthcare is a good thing take a look at the evolution of HIPAA.

I know the answer to the question I just wanted to see what everyone could come up with.

HIPAA applies to covered entities. The term "covered entity" under the HIPAA Privacy Rule refers to three specific groups, including health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers that transmit health information electronically. An individual is not a covered entity therefore the permitted uses and disclosures of PHI by covered entities would not apply. In this case the parent or card holder of the insurance has no right to access the adult childs PHI.

I do not see how the parents can place restrictions on the use of the insurance,
 
My point has been proven!

My intent was to play devils advocate and see how many different answers and opinions I could get. I would say I succeded! My point was to illistrate how everyone has a different interpretation of HIPAA. Something that started out so simple has blown up into one of the most complex regulations this side of the tax code!

The original intent the of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act was to protect individuals from losing their health insurance or from having pre-existing clause limitations placed on their health insurance coverage if they left or changed jobs. Thats it! It sounds so simple but wait here is the kicker! HIPAA does not define specific security requirements. It left that up to The Department of Health and Human Services. They are the ones that defined the HIPAA regulations and created the muti-billion dollar mess we have now. If anyone thinks the government getting involved in healthcare is a good thing take a look at the evolution of HIPAA.

I know the answer to the question I just wanted to see what everyone could come up with.

HIPAA applies to covered entities. The term "covered entity" under the HIPAA Privacy Rule refers to three specific groups, including health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers that transmit health information electronically. An individual is not a covered entity therefore the permitted uses and disclosures of PHI by covered entities would not apply. In this case the parent or card holder of the insurance has no right to access the adult childs PHI.

I do not see how the parents can place restrictions on the use of the insurance,

Dbag! :meanie::laugh:
 
I would call to verify the script if something looked shady but otherwise I would fill it. What are the parents going to do? Come in and yell at you? Please.