A science question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry for the start of this silly thread, I've been stumped on this for some reason and I can't quite figure this out. (I'm a little new to science).
2-
Is O2- and O the same thing? Does it matter that the 2 is raised or is it done that way sometimes because like me, some professors can't type the 2 slightly above the line?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, that didn't type out properly....it's
2-
O and O2-

Ok, maybe I'm answering my own question - I just can't get the "2-" to type slightly above the O on that line.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drew it and attached it to the post as a .jpg. O2- (superscript) is the oxygen anion (oxide), and O2 (normal) is oxygen gas (with no charge). Oxygen gas is two O atoms bonded together (double bond) and O2- is just one oxygen atom with a -2 charge. Ok, my attachment doesn't seem to work.. hmmm.

If you mean O superscript 2- , that is when one oxygen atom has gained 2 extra electrons.

Whereas O subscript 2 is 2 oxygens bonded together.

Right, I understand O2, but is "O2-" emphasizing the negative sign the same as subscript 2-, anion? know what I mean? I'm trying to see if it's a trick question for this assignment. He said there would be.

Originally posted by MALA
Right, I understand O2, but is "O2-" emphasizing the negative sign the same as subscript 2-, anion? know what I mean? I'm trying to see if it's a trick question for this assignment. He said there would be.

I would imagine it's the same. It doesn't make any sense for him to try to trick gen-chem 1 students with semantics like that.

Well, I can't seem to find anything to tell me they're anything different - and you guys would definitely know. So I'll treat it as the same- I'm so paranoid because I want that A!!!
Thanks so much jemc and jd!!!!!

MALA,

The symbol notation is important and has different meaning if you lowerscript or superscript it.

O: this indicates an element, named Oxygen (just like Carbon is written as C, Calcium is written as Ca).

O2(2 lowerscript) means that this is the substance at gas state (majority) ( just like Nitrogen is denoted as N2...and so forth).

O-(superscript -) means that Oxygen gained one electron and becomes an anion.

O-2(superscript -2) means that Oxygen now gained 2 electrons and becomes an anion, too.

O2-(superscrip 2-) means that the oxidation state (number) of Oxygen is -2 (minus two).

Hope this helps...:confused:

Thanks rx!!!