• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
sorry for the start of this silly thread, I've been stumped on this for some reason and I can't quite figure this out. (I'm a little new to science).
2-
Is O2- and O the same thing? Does it matter that the 2 is raised or is it done that way sometimes because like me, some professors can't type the 2 slightly above the line?

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
Wait, that didn't type out properly....it's
2-
O and O2-

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
Ok, maybe I'm answering my own question - I just can't get the "2-" to type slightly above the O on that line.

About the Ads

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2003
AND then...
Status (Visible)
I drew it and attached it to the post as a .jpg. O2- (superscript) is the oxygen anion (oxide), and O2 (normal) is oxygen gas (with no charge). Oxygen gas is two O atoms bonded together (double bond) and O2- is just one oxygen atom with a -2 charge. Ok, my attachment doesn't seem to work.. hmmm.

jemc2000

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2003
Lakeland, FL
Status (Visible)
If you mean O superscript 2- , that is when one oxygen atom has gained 2 extra electrons.

Whereas O subscript 2 is 2 oxygens bonded together.

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
Right, I understand O2, but is "O2-" emphasizing the negative sign the same as subscript 2-, anion? know what I mean? I'm trying to see if it's a trick question for this assignment. He said there would be.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2003
AND then...
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by MALA
Right, I understand O2, but is "O2-" emphasizing the negative sign the same as subscript 2-, anion? know what I mean? I'm trying to see if it's a trick question for this assignment. He said there would be.

I would imagine it's the same. It doesn't make any sense for him to try to trick gen-chem 1 students with semantics like that.

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
Well, I can't seem to find anything to tell me they're anything different - and you guys would definitely know. So I'll treat it as the same- I'm so paranoid because I want that A!!!
Thanks so much jemc and jd!!!!!

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
MALA,

The symbol notation is important and has different meaning if you lowerscript or superscript it.

O: this indicates an element, named Oxygen (just like Carbon is written as C, Calcium is written as Ca).

O2(2 lowerscript) means that this is the substance at gas state (majority) ( just like Nitrogen is denoted as N2...and so forth).

O-(superscript -) means that Oxygen gained one electron and becomes an anion.

O-2(superscript -2) means that Oxygen now gained 2 electrons and becomes an anion, too.

O2-(superscrip 2-) means that the oxidation state (number) of Oxygen is -2 (minus two).

Hope this helps...:confused:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.