A science reporter considers medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergroundcelloswan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I used to be active on this forum back when I was (much) younger and actively pursuing medical school. Some years and life changes later, I'm a science/health reporter but have firmly decided to resume my medical school pursuit. I'm going to use bullet points to make my whole narrative a bit easier to digest, and hopefully, you lovely folks can give me some pointers on what I need to do next.

- undergrad from Ivy League school, graduated in 2014 as premed with a cGPA of 3.5 but science GPA of 3.2
- completed a science-related master's from a reputable UK school in 2016 (program was taught and research-based, but I didn't publish any papers, my PI did submit an abstract to a conference)
- scribed for about two years in various out-patient departments where I realized my love for science journalism
- applied to and completed a master's in journalism with a 3.7 GPA
- worked at a top middle-market newspaper for nearly two years reporting on science/health, got burnout (thanks pandemic), and left to freelance
- freelancing now for the last few months, but it's slow going, have applied for science journalism fellowships/other jobs
- studying for the MCAT now (got 496 on my first practice exam *cue sad Pikachu face*), MCAT scheduled for April

One of my main concerns is my undergraduate GPA. Considering the 3.7+ stat many schools advertise about their incoming classes, I'm concerned whether I should consider a post-bacc or similar program. A problem with these programs, though, is I don't qualify --- I have a solid pre-med background plus my science-related master's (I also don't want to do a third master's just for the sake of boosting my GPA). I think I have a unique experience that could make me stand out from other applicants, but I realize I need to nail down that MCAT if I want any chance of shining.

If anyone could offer some sage advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools expire science pre-reqs after 5 or 10 years (I believe MSAR will tell you), so you might have to re-take the classes anyway. Some schools do not, but you'd be limiting the pool of schools you can apply to.

For example Application Requirements
"Please note: All prerequisite courses must have been completed within 10 years of application. We prefer that prerequisite courses in biology be taken within five years of application."

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools expire science pre-reqs after 5 or 10 years (I believe MSAR will tell you), so you might have to re-take the classes anyway. Some schools do not, but you'd be limiting the pool of schools you can apply to.

For example Application Requirements
"Please note: All prerequisite courses must have been completed within 10 years of application. We prefer that prerequisite courses in biology be taken within five years of application."

That's good to know. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I used to be active on this forum back when I was (much) younger and actively pursuing medical school. Some years and life changes later, I'm a science/health reporter but have firmly decided to resume my medical school pursuit. I'm going to use bullet points to make my whole narrative a bit easier to digest, and hopefully, you lovely folks can give me some pointers on what I need to do next.

- undergrad from Ivy League school, graduated in 2014 as premed with a cGPA of 3.5 but science GPA of 3.2
- completed a science-related master's from a reputable UK school in 2016 (program was taught and research-based, but I didn't publish any papers, my PI did submit an abstract to a conference)
- scribed for about two years in various out-patient departments where I realized my love for science journalism
- worked at a top middle-market newspaper for nearly two years reporting on science/health, got burnout (thanks pandemic), and left to freelance
- freelancing now for the last few months, but it's slow going, have applied for science journalism fellowships/other jobs
- studying for the MCAT now (got 496 on my first practice exam *cue sad Pikachu face*), MCAT scheduled for April

One of my main concerns is my undergraduate GPA. Considering the 3.7+ stat many schools advertise about their incoming classes, I'm concerned whether I should consider a post-bacc or similar program. A problem with these programs, though, is I don't qualify --- I have a solid pre-med background plus my science-related master's (I also don't want to do a third master's just for the sake of boosting my GPA). I think I have a unique experience that could make me stand out from other applicants, but I realize I need to nail down that MCAT if I want any chance of shining.

Are you planning on applying in the upcoming 2022-2023 cycle? Where do you stand with nonclinical volunteering hours and do you have any recent clinical experience?

Hi! Congratulations for resuming this pursuit that's great! I graduated in 2020 and just applied this cycle. A few things, first, schools LOVE non-traditional applicants. It really shows that youre committed to medicine and not just doing it out of college because you don't know what you want to do.... so definitely talk about your experiences in science journalism etc since 2014 they will love it! Two, don't worry about your GPA tooooooo much. It's true its on the lower side... but my stats are lower than yours and I have been accepted to 7 schools. Just focus on crushing the MCAT (496 is not bad at all for a first exam take.. only up from there!) and it could potentially even the playing field with your GPA. Three, might want to consider volunteering or community service of some sort to strengthen your app. Lastly, I would shadow some physicians in the clinic.. schools value clinical exposure heavily. Wishing you the best you got this!

You could easily land a DO admission. MD will be challenging unless you land an incrediy high MCAT, and even then will be a stretch.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean if their post history is right and they got a 43 on the old MCAT, and can do the same with the new one, there are only a few schools where they'll have no business applying to. Re take some classes and ace them and that list goes down.

Look into the extension schools (Berkeley, ucla, harvard), you can just sign up and take those classes without being in their official postbac program.

Good luck! It's not easy going back to school, but everyone loves a resilience story.

I also don't want to do a third master's just for the sake of boosting my GPA
Grades in Master's programs have little effect on an MD application (except, perhaps an SMP) and are not averaged into the undergraduate gpa on AMCAS.
DO schools do things differently, though.

Do an SMP. Post-bac programs are for career-switchers. You can also do a post-bac DIY. This assumes you're gunning for the MD. As Mad Jack has said, you're fine for many DO programs.

I wouldn't say post-bac programs are for "career switchers".... I am in one for research through the NIH that I did after undergrad to help my application. 3.3 Undergrad GPA, 3.0 Science GPA with no post-bacc classes to help boost and I am at 6 MD acceptances currently.

If you get into a highly regarded post-bacc program... and with your history you very well could... it could do wonders for your app

I wouldn't say post-bac programs are for "career switchers".... I am in one for research through the NIH that I did after undergrad to help my application. 3.3 Undergrad GPA, 3.0 Science GPA with no post-bacc classes to help boost and I am at 6 MD acceptances currently.

If you get into a highly regarded post-bacc program... and with your history you very well could... it could do wonders for your app

Is the NIH postbac research only and no classes? Why is it called a postbac then, which I take to mean postbac classes/certificate?

For the most part, formal postbacs are for career changers. Most of them will not accept you into the program if you took the bio series, for example. SMPs are for grade enhancement.

But you can always do DIY and just take classes a la carte.

Is the NIH postbac research only and no classes? Why is it called a postbac then, which I take to mean postbac classes/certificate?

For the most part, formal postbacs are for career changers. Most of them will not accept you into the program if you took the bio series, for example. SMPs are for grade enhancement.

I’m a post-baccalaureate intramural research training award fellow (IRTA). It’s a post-bacc program (1-2 years depending on contract) where we are paid to work with a PI in a NIH discipline… I myself for example work for a PI at the National Institute on Drug abuse. We don’t receive a certificate or degree etc., but receive important training pertinent to the medical profession. Including first author publication opportunities, national presentations, award opportunities etc.

That being said, you have the opportunity to take classes through the NIH as well to boost overall/science GPA although it isn’t required.

I’m a post-baccalaureate intramural research training award fellow (IRTA). It’s a post-bacc program (1-2 years depending on contract) where we are paid to work with a PI in a NIH discipline… I myself for example work for a PI at the National Institute on Drug abuse. We don’t receive a certificate or degree etc., but receive important training pertinent to the medical profession. Including first author publication opportunities, national presentations, award opportunities etc.

That being said, you have the opportunity to take classes through the NIH as well to boost overall/science GPA although it isn’t required.
Also, this the NIH isn’t the only entity to offer a program like this. It’s definitely worth looking into!