A.T. Still University- MESA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I interviewed on Thursday Feb 8th and also received word on Friday that I was accepted, however I was not home to get the phone call so I got an email and was told I will find out my CHC in the acceptance packet!!! Who else will be going?:love: :D

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else interviewing this week on the 15th? Those of you who have already interviewed, any hints/tips beyond what is on this thread?

Is anyone else interviewing this week on the 15th? Those of you who have already interviewed, any hints/tips beyond what is on this thread?

Hi I just interviewed last week and got an acceptance!! But the notes on this thread were invaluable and all the questions were what was stated, although I remember another regarding why you wanted to work with the underserved because thats what we will be doing in years 2,3,and 4 in the community health centers. Additionally, my interviewers were pretty tough and it is a grueling day (well worth it in the end) but whatever you do if you choose a side especially in the ethical question regarding the liver transplant make sure you choose whom you want to receive the liver and even if one of them keeps throwing out all of these hypotheticals stick with your choice and defend it, just don't be too defensive as if you were upset, its a fine line you know. Also I would like to say that the file review was not as bad as somebody posted previously, just don't make excuses, turn a question about a bad grade into a positive, for example they asked me why I received a C in a course, so I made sure to point out that I had re-taken the course later in college when I was more mature and ready for the subject matter and I received an A. Other than that just be natural and have fun with it, all of the administrators were super nice and really want you to be there!!! Let me know if you have any other questions and I hope this helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
i found the forum to be very helpful for interview day also, especially the formal interview. all the questions and the exact liver question were there, but the lifelong learning question was a wierd question to start off with. they asked me that and then my experience in osteopathic medicine. no real flow in the interview, but i felt i prepared too much, especially on the socialized medicine question (benefits/problems with it). so i hesitated, it almost seems a script would help, with some flexibility of course. the file review was fun with joyce, she is really chill. i wish it was longer than 10 minutes though.

for anyone hesitant with the new curriculum, school, accreditation, learn about its dean:

http://www.aacom.org/calendar/press-releases/doug-resigns.html

if this guy believes in it then...wow.

*my apologies for my over-enthusiasm from friday. this is my first school to interview/accept after being rejected many times this year and last year, so i hope folks can understand. i know by experience that it is very hard to see people get accepted when you are stuck in limbo. i hope all the best for everyone, and i am down to help.

i found the forum to be very helpful for interview day also, especially the formal interview. all the questions and the exact liver question were there, but the lifelong learning question was a wierd question to start off with. they asked me that and then my experience in osteopathic medicine. no real flow in the interview, but i felt i prepared too much, especially on the socialized medicine question (benefits/problems with it). so i hesitated, it almost seems a script would help, with some flexibility of course. the file review was fun with joyce, she is really chill. i wish it was longer than 10 minutes though.

for anyone hesitant with the new curriculum, school, accreditation, learn about its dean:

http://www.aacom.org/calendar/press-releases/doug-resigns.html

if this guy believes in it then...wow.

*my apologies for my over-enthusiasm from friday. this is my first school to interview/accept after being rejected many times this year and last year, so i hope folks can understand. i know by experience that it is very hard to see people get accepted when you are stuck in limbo. i hope all the best for everyone, and i am down to help.

Thanks for posting that, it was very interesting and I had heard Dr. Wood was the President, I was really impressed by this as well!!

Also don't feel weird about your over enthusiasm it completely understood at least on my part as I feel the same way and this was my first interview/acceptance as well!!! :D

From the schedule I saw when I signed up for my interview, they do have two dates in March.

Is anyone else interviewing on the 22nd of Feb.?

*my apologies for my over-enthusiasm from friday. this is my first school to interview/accept after being rejected many times this year and last year, so i hope folks can understand. i know by experience that it is very hard to see people get accepted when you are stuck in limbo. i hope all the best for everyone, and i am down to help.[/QUOTE]

You deserve to be excited..congrats!:thumbup:

so, decision time is coming fast... anyone else really torn on which school to pick from? I got accepted to ATSU MESA, and I want to go, but I am also accepted at other established schools, one of which was my top choice- a reputable school. I really like the way they are going to teach at ATSU, and I want to go to the clinical site for the last three years- BUT- I am 'still' :) torn as to what to do- I am particularly concerned as to the licensing exams, and how prepared we will be for them. :)

Is anyone else interviewing on the 22nd of Feb.?

I'm interviewing this Thursday, Feb. 22.
I also feel the beginning of a cold coming on. :(
And I also have to give a presentation this week on a research article for my graduate seminar. :(

Hey guys, I'm interviewing on the 22nd as well. I wish I had more info on the interview though. Anybody know how to start an interview feedback section for Mesa? Or have any more feedback on the interview day? Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm interviewing on the 22nd as well. I wish I had more info on the interview though. Anybody know how to start an interview feedback section for Mesa? Or have any more feedback on the interview day? Thanks!
Hey just read this whole thread and you will find all of the information you need, all the questions and what to expect from the day are all listed throughout this thread. Good luck on your interview!!!

Hey just read this whole thread and you will find all of the information you need, all the questions and what to expect from the day are all listed throughout this thread. Good luck on your interview!!!

The thread, in addition to some private messages, has definitely given me a lot of good information, in order to prepare myself. Still wondering if this is the school for me, but since I still have no acceptances as of yet, I'm going to give it my best effort. I'm on one allopathic waitlist, and I am interviewing at Touro-NV next month.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
The thread, in addition to some private messages, has definitely given me a lot of good information, in order to prepare myself. Still wondering if this is the school for me, but since I still have no acceptances as of yet, I'm going to give it my best effort. I'm on one allopathic waitlist, and I am interviewing at Touro-NV next month.

Good luck to all!

did you apply really late? just wondering as to why you would go somewhere this different JUST to go somewhere... not trying to be negative, but I personally am looking at this as an oppportunity to help those who REALLY need it while I learn, not as a missed opportunity to be a surgeon or dermatologist, etc., or go to a 'better' school. I Hope you end up with other choices, because I would like to think that if you do decide to attend ATSU MESA, it will be because you believe in what they are doing, and it fits your goals.

Does anyone know how long it takes for a decision for invite or rejection (pre-interview) after being reviewed? My file is finally being reviewed today. I'm just wondering how long I have to wait before either being rejected or offered an interview. And, how do they notify you?

I was just wondering what were your stats and what kind of EC's were you a part of?

Does anyone know how long it takes for a decision for invite or rejection (pre-interview) after being reviewed? My file is finally being reviewed today. I'm just wondering how long I have to wait before either being rejected or offered an interview. And, how do they notify you?

That's great that you are being reviewed! :thumbup: Were you on hold previously or is this the first time of them reviewing your file?

I was just wondering what were your stats and what kind of EC's were you a part of?

Hi I was accepted and am going to attend AT Still. I was on the UC San Diego Women's Soccer Team all four years, Volunteered at Casa de Los Ninos, with the Special Olympics, Hoag Hospital, CHOC Hospital, and also UCSD Hospital, I worked for three years of college, I coached a high school soccer team, I am in several clubs one of which I am the president and also flying samaritans, and I have done research for 2 1/2 years. I think those are all of the important ones....... I hope that helps!!! :D

decent GPA.... above avg but not freakishly so, GOOD MCAT score, (10's +), and LOTS of EC's. Worked in an HIV community clinic, worked in the ER as a volunteer, LOTS of travel around the world for work, and Shadowing of both D.O. and M.D. physicians, along with being a translator in a rehab clinic. Im older too, so I knew what I was getting into, and actually applied here after being accepted at other schools ( allo and osteo), so I really wanted this.

BTW how long did it take for you to get the CHC packet after your phone call?

I got my package about a week after the email of acceptance(a day after the interview).

I am older too! 3.4 GPA, upper 20's MCAT, 4 years of research with 2 first-author publications + 2 co-authored papers, shadowed a DO and 2 MD attendants in the ER (director is a DO!) at a teaching hospital for a year, volunteered in clinics and hospitals throughout college since 1997, worked full time in college, lots of EC with 1 year undergraduate research.

I was part of the group that interviewed yesterday and I just found out I was accepted. I am assigned to the Flagstaff CHC. I still haven't had a chance go on any of my other interviews, but I am leaning towards ATSU. Has anyone else been assigned to flagstaff or heard back who interviewed yesterday?

I was part of the group that interviewed yesterday and I just found out I was accepted. I am assigned to the Flagstaff CHC. I still haven't had a chance go on any of my other interviews, but I am leaning towards ATSU. Has anyone else been assigned to flagstaff or heard back who interviewed yesterday?

Hey, congratulations!
I have figured out who you are, haha. I sat next to you during the presentations. I have not gotten a call, and thus I am sad. :(
But congratulations to you, and good luck in school!

Yeah, I just got back from Phoenix late today and discovered a message on my answering machine from Joyce, the Associate Director of Admissions. Called her up and found out I have been assigned to the Brooklyn CHC. Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted so far, and good luck to everyone who hasn't heard from them yet...

Do you think you will end up going to ATSU?

I interviewed on Feb 22nd and got my acceptance on Friday. They assigned me to the Seattle site. I'll probably accept since we only get 2 weeks to do so and the rest of my interviews are spread out through March. I really liked the school, but I want a chance to see a few more just so I can compare.
I think the integrated clerkships sound cool. During the three years we're at the CHC's we get our own cadre of patients to follow for the whole time we're there. If they go for surgery or go to the ER, then we go with them. It sounds like we'll get a chance to really know the patietns and their healthcare in a larger context. I also like the non-traditional teaching using the clinical presentation model.
Conceptualy everything sounded amazing, but I'm sure they'll be plenty of kinks in the first few years to iron out. Arizona is so pretty!

For those who have a contract....are you at all concerned that it says that we can be re-assigned a different campus at the sole discretion of COMMESA? Does that worry anyone-- does that mean if we ASK it will be at their discretion, because it could be taken as: ' we may decide to change your site'!?

Hmmm.....that doesn't sound good to me, but I think it could mean either. Maybe someone will want to change there CHC site in the first year or they might have too many students from one site accept their offers. I'm sure they have to put a phrase like that in the contract to cover their butts, but it doesn't necesarily mean that it will be a common occurence. You might want to e-mail Joyce and get an official explanation.

Definitely.... that could be misconstrued....

i do remember them saying that you could always ask if you want to change your site. they say thats not guaranteed but you can always ask. i think the 3 years at the same chc could be an advantage, working closely with the same patients and physicians would provide better relationships.

where were you assigned mdo almost?

"i do remember them saying that you could always ask if you want to change your site. they say thats not guaranteed but you can always ask."

youre probably right, I think that's what it is....

So, anyone else that's been accepted feel like sharing their CHC assignment? It'd be interesting to see how that's been distributed so far.

It's team Seattle for me! If anyone comes back from interviews this week, please let me know what you thought. I feel drawn to their innovative curriculum, but like others, I feel that I came back from the interviews with more questions than answers. Do you think we can trust them to have everything together by July 30? I know they emphasized a 1:10 teacher to student ratio for the CHC's, but that would only be for the first year, after that it would be 1:30 when the new classes came in. They said they would use physician adjuncts, but random physicians won't have as much teaching experience, which could make them very hit or miss.

It's team Seattle for me! If anyone comes back from interviews this week, please let me know what you thought. I feel drawn to their innovative curriculum, but like others, I feel that I came back from the interviews with more questions than answers. Do you think we can trust them to have everything together by July 30? I know they emphasized a 1:10 teacher to student ratio for the CHC's, but that would only be for the first year, after that it would be 1:30 when the new classes came in. They said they would use physician adjuncts, but random physicians won't have as much teaching experience, which could make them very hit or miss.

now im even more conflicted and confused

now im even more conflicted and confused

LOL, I'm sorry MD/DO Almost....I hate making decisions too, especially when they're going to cost me $200,000. I think I'm just going to pick my school out of a hat and be done with it. If it ends up bad, I'll just blame the hat :D.

LOL, I'm sorry MD/DO Almost....I hate making decisions too, especially when they're going to cost me $200,000. I think I'm just going to pick my school out of a hat and be done with it. If it ends up bad, I'll just blame the hat :D.

I'll throw a couple in there too.... sounds like the best idea yet. The hat's fault, yeah, the hat.........

Is anyone who is considering attending ATSU Mesa concerned by there almost complete lack of dissection?

Is anyone who is considering attending ATSU Mesa concerned by there almost complete lack of dissection?

Or by how very SMALL the cadaver lab was. Not to mention that the med students will be sharing everything with the dental students. Maybe that is why they want everyone to spend only a year there. :idea:

That is one fundamental reason I chose not to attend.

I really liked the school and the faculty (at least the 3 that were there), but it was just too Primary Care focused for me and I am not ready to commit myself to PC.

I do however drink coffee from my ATSU mug!

the mugs from that place rule!

Seriously, though, I have already dissected for a long time before, So for me it's no big deal not to, but I also know that a prosected cadaver ( or three) would be just as good for learning, and maybe better. After all, I don't think we are all experts yet, and i really would rather not learn from a cadaver that my classmates might hack up or incorrectly dissect due to lack of experience- It will be easier with professionally and carefully prosected cadavers. As for attending with the DMD students, I think they have their own building, and we will be in groups of med students, so I don't get the impression that we will all be together.

Actually, it wouldn't be until the third year that the ratio would go up. In the second year we will all be at our CHC's, and the first year of students will be back at Mesa. In the third year we will be at our CHC's and/or rotations, and the second years would be at the CHC's. This, to me, seems no different than any other school.

Plus, as far as the school not having everything together; I don't think that many people realize, this is THE school of osteopathy--the American college of osteopathy--Andrew Taylor Still's school--the oldest, original, most established school of osteopathic medicine in the world. Apart from a few likely little bumps along the way, I think the school will definitely be more "together" than so many of the other schools in their first years, not to mention the brand new schools this year (aside from the fact that tu has two other campuses).

Needless to say, I am hardly hesitant in my decision to be a part of this endeavor, and very excited to do so.

Go Team SEATTLE!

My packet came in the mail today....it's officially decision time. I think ATSU-Mesa will give us a lot of good clinical exposure within the first two years. If you look at the blue prints, there's going to be 4-5 patient simulation rooms. I think we'll get a lot of practice with the patient actors so that we'll be ready to take patient histories and physicals by the time we get to the CHC's. While many schools have you go to a clinic once a week or so during the basic science years, we'll actually be embedded on a daily basis in a clinic. Although its a primary care setting, all that patient exposure will probably make us more confident when we actually go out to hospitals for our clerkships. I think that's a plus.

the mugs from that place rule!

Seriously, though, I have already dissected for a long time before, So for me it's no big deal not to, but I also know that a prosected cadaver ( or three) would be just as good for learning, and maybe better. After all, I don't think we are all experts yet, and i really would rather not learn from a cadaver that my classmates might hack up or incorrectly dissect due to lack of experience- It will be easier with professionally and carefully prosected cadavers. As for attending with the DMD students, I think they have their own building, and we will be in groups of med students, so I don't get the impression that we will all be together.

My impression, from the tour, was that the DO students get an entire floor (5th floor) to ourselves. The DMD students have a clinic in a seperate building and the third floor or something like that.

I also agree about the benefits of prosection versus disection. I remember Dr. Wood addressed the issue by explaining that he's never been in a surgery where the person looks like a cadaver (used up by students for a decade).

My packet came in the mail today....it's officially decision time. I think ATSU-Mesa will give us a lot of good clinical exposure within the first two years. If you look at the blue prints, there's going to be 4-5 patient simulation rooms. I think we'll get a lot of practice with the patient actors so that we'll be ready to take patient histories and physicals by the time we get to the CHC's. While many schools have you go to a clinic once a week or so during the basic science years, we'll actually be embedded on a daily basis in a clinical. Although its a primary care setting, all that patient exposure will probably make us more confident when we actually go out to hospitals for our clerkships. I think that's a plus.

I agree. I teach one of the clinical portions at AZCOM, and the first year students only enter a clinical setting (patient model encounter) about 4 or 5 times in the whole first year. I am very confident that we will get much more experience, especially that we're expected to actually be in a clinic the second year.

frankly i suck at dissecting, from sharks to rats, whatever. i did hear at schools with prosections, that if you really want to dissect you can help the next prosection batch and get paid for it. like someone else said, dissection is nothing like surgery. cutting away at fermented body and hacking through bones is no where near the delicateness and precision required in real surgery. yes there is the benefit of "really finding it yourself" but there is a lot of time consumption, which would be better spent studying or elsewhere. i guess seattle is the really popular site so far. i think i've seen about 3 or 4 SDNers, and one non-SDN get seattle. how funny that i didn't get it. but i'm not worried, i think its time for me to move out for a bit, because i know i really want to practice here. team ALOHA all the way!

if anyone is curious about seattle, holla at me. i've been living there for 5 years now. the locations for the chc is definately to your benefit. south seattle is cheaper to live in, but still close if you want to go downtown. plus they will be demolishing or rennovating one of our freeways, so if you want to live in north seattle, good luck commuting for the next 5 years or so.

ps. it dosen't rain that much, its just a little rain spread over a longer period, and summers here are the best. very moderate, high of 88 with slight humidity, and amazing sun. not the phoenix sun and dryness which we will all love this july.

pps. seattle grace is not a real hospital. sorry to break the bad news.

I agree. I teach one of the clinical portions at AZCOM, and the first year students only enter a clinical setting (patient model encounter) about 4 or 5 times in the whole first year.

Just out of curiosity, what do you teach at AZCOM? What's your background?

i guess seattle is the really popular site so far. i think i've seen about 3 or 4 SDNers, and one non-SDN get seattle. how funny that i didn't get it. but i'm not worried, i think its time for me to move out for a bit, because i know i really want to practice here. team ALOHA all the way!

if anyone is curious about seattle, holla at me. it dosen't rain that much, its just a little rain spread over a longer period, and summers here are the best. very moderate, high of 88 with slight humidity, and amazing sun. not the phoenix sun and dryness which we will all love this july.

Hmmm....I hope none of us get bumped from the Seattle site b/c they have too many people accepting.

dSeattle are you going to the Hawaii site?

Is Seattle really gloomy and dark most of the time b/c of the rain? I'm somewhat affected by seasonal depression. One of the reasons I'm drawn to ATSU-Mesa is that the sun in AZ on interview day made me incredibly happy. I'm worried Seattle will bum me out a bit....although I bet the scenery is pretty.

Lastly, does anyone know how common it is to see tarantulas in AZ....I'm not too down with spiders the size of house pets.:eek:

Hmmm....I hope none of us get bumped from the Seattle site b/c they have too many people accepting.

dSeattle are you going to the Hawaii site?

Is Seattle really gloomy and dark most of the time b/c of the rain? I'm somewhat affected by seasonal depression. One of the reasons I'm drawn to ATSU-Mesa is that the sun in AZ on interview day made me incredibly happy. I'm worried Seattle will bum me out a bit....although I bet the scenery is pretty.

Lastly, does anyone know how common it is to see tarantulas in AZ....I'm not too down with spiders the size of house pets.:eek:

aloha. yes. waianae for me. i haven't seen anyone else say they got it..the other forum has one for sc, and one for oregon. maybe your concern addresses md/do's concern from the line in the contract. but i'm sure they will do the best they can to give you your site of choice. seattle isnt dark and gloomy all of the time, though its not uncommon for folks with s.a.d. to be affected a little bit, and there is the slightly cloudy with chance of rain every other day during winter/spring. but dont worry about seattle getting you down, because when the sun breaks through, it is really nice, and it really lifts your spirits. its funny that during undergrad once the sun broke out people would be out in our quad or square even if it was still cold.

and you are right. the scenery is amazing with lake washington and the cascade mountains to the east, mount rainier to the south, and lake union, puget sound and the olympic mountains to the west, with everything green year round.