A.T. Still University- MESA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they give you a handout of the detailed curriculum?

No, that would have been nice. They had it all laid out in one of the conference rooms. It looks like they are still working through some of the material/details, but it was a lot more developed than I thought it was going to be.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...I wish I could have seen it. Any details that you remember. I know they said they wanted to use the Clinical Presentation Model. Is it week 1: Headache, Weak 2: breathing problem...etc.? The handout they gave us of a detailed one week scheduled was all about endocrinology, so I'm a little confused as to how the CPM teaching actually works and if in lectures we're actually going to take more of a systems approach.

Remember, ^no lectures :thumbup:. I, too, saw all that scribbling all over the walls of the "cookie room" as we called it. I saw lots of info about course topics, dates, etc. I was too busy thinking about the interview, though, so I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...I wish I could have seen it. Any details that you remember. I know they said they wanted to use the Clinical Presentation Model. Is it week 1: Headache, Weak 2: breathing problem...etc.? The handout they gave us of a detailed one week scheduled was all about endocrinology, so I'm a little confused as to how the CPM teaching actually works and if in lectures we're actually going to take more of a systems approach.

Ah yes V-lander, the Cookie Room. I remember it like it was only last week...the uncomfortable silence and forced conversation, it was moving.

Green Shirt- As best as I can remember, they had the cirriculum laid out on two sides of the room on the walls. One side (which was probably there when everyone else was there) is a grid with core sciences on the X-axis and systems on the Y-axis. The corresponding cells had subject matter based on disease/disorder/clinical presenation. IE: Immunology crossed with GI would be related to presentation of N/V/D, autoimmune disorders of the GI system, etc all stemming from the immune response. The cross of A&P and the GI system would be covered as expected along with the other basic sciences, but all related primarily to diseases and disorders. The other side of the room was a more detailed breakdown of each cell. IE: On Monday the clinical presentation of gastroenteritis and its relation to the basic sciences would be covered in the morning........ I cannot remember if mutliple basic sciences would be related to a single clinical presentation (gastroenteritis with immunology/A&P/histology/endocrinology/etc) at the same time or if the relation between the disorder and one basic science would be covered and then revisited later.

Hope it helps. I didn't get a lot of time to analize it, so I hope its accurate.

Thanks Climber, that helps. Joyce e-mailed me a copy of the 1st yr curriculum and all it said was "Cardio 11 weeks, Renal 5 weaks, Neuro 11 weeks...etc.). It confused me b/c it seemed a system based approach rather the SP model they spoke about....however that grid description kind of helps me understand how the System and the CP model are going to interact. I wish they would have sent me the graph.

hello everyone

so i will be attending atsu in the fall. yay! anyone have a link to that pdf on potential apartments in the area. i can't find the link anymore...

also they told us the same stuff about starting with the headache as a problem and spending a few weeks on that before moving on to a cough etc.

(still don't have my chc assignment but looking forward to an exciting 4 years!)

ciao

Has anyone heard if they have finalized their contract with the CHC in Phoenix yet? When I interviewed in January, they said there were still some issues being worked out and they could not say for sure if Phoenix would be one of the sites. Does any one know if this was ever resolved, one way or the other?

If you're referring to the Native American CHC site, when I interviewed on 3/8, it was still up in the air. I think somone in my group asked about the Phoenix site and they were told that that was the Native American CHC, but that details were still being worked out.

Yes, that is the site I was meaning. I wasn't exactly sure how they were referring to it. So, if they are still "working it out", I'm guessing they are not offering contracts matching students to this site yet? When I was there in January, I was under the impression that it might not work out that the Native American site would be one of the CHC sites, if they couldn't get things worked out. Does anyone know if they are making progress towards an agreement or is the situation the same as is was in January?

Hey everyone,

I will attending ATSUCOM-Mesa and was wondering where everyone was going to be placed afteryear one. Ill be in Hawaii?? Anyone else??

Hey everyone,

I will attending ATSUCOM-Mesa and was wondering where everyone was going to be placed afteryear one. Ill be in Hawaii?? Anyone else??

For everyone that was accepted: add your name and CHC assignment to the list we've started in the "The Inaugural ATSUCOM-Mesa Class of 2011" thread in the Osteopathic Class Thread subforum.

I can't wait!

Where is that link at?? After you sent in your contract and Deposit did you get anything in the mail that said something like "thank you we have your deposit" I was thinking they would send something to us???

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Yeah, you should check out the link that was given above and add your name. I'm going to Hawaii, along with a few others.

when will it be safe to just say COMM?

I think they should just call it MCOM (Mesa College of Osteopathic Medicine). It would be like KCOM, just calling it after the town. Keep it simple.

Can anyone let me know more about the group exercise at the end of the interview day? Does anyone know how many more spaces for acceptances are available? Thanks.

Does anyone know how many more spaces for acceptances are available? Thanks.

There has to be a good amount of open seats because they are sending out informational mailers and emails about the school, and they have extended their primary application date to April 15th.
When I was interviewing there, I got the impression from the assistant dean that they are more concerned with the caliber/type of student than they are with filling their class size. To me, this seems like a smart move, they have some big shoes to fill by following KCOM, and I think some high stats will be more meaningful than a high number of students especially with their new curriculum.

There has to be a good amount of open seats because they are sending out informational mailers and emails about the school, and they have extended their primary application date to April 15th.

what about all of those who are either waitlisted or on hold? do you know if they will make their way to those people?

what about all of those who are either waitlisted or on hold? do you know if they will make their way to those people?

This is just speculation, but I imagine people on hold will be hearing from them shortly after the primary application deadline.

If you are very interested in the school (and it seems that you are), why not go balls-to-the-wall (so to speak) and prove it to them. I think their unique position is favorable for some unique displays of interest. Why not try to set up an appointment with the director of admissions, or make a phone call to Dr. Woods, etc?

Go in there, explain why you are a solid bet, and will prove your worth as a student.

There are few traits more important in medicine than determination - so show them determination.

What is the worst that can happen - they leave you on the waitlist?

good advice.... they can't waitlist you twice!

I don't know if this helps you at all, but this is my story.

The interview dates are on Thursday, and they make decisions on Friday, as I'm sure you know. I was sad because I didn't get an acceptance call on Friday. I e-mailed Joyce Hanie the next Monday and was told I was waitlisted. By the very next Friday, I was accepted!

I actually received my acceptance-from-the-waitlist phone call before I received my waitlist letter! So there is hope :)

Ok so I just had an interview yesterday. Oh, I absoultely LOVE the innovative curriculum and the ability to begin clinical work in the second year, not to mention working in the CHCs. So five of the CHCs are already filled, the ones available include Brooklyn, NY; Ohio; South Carolina; Alabama; and Hawaii. Im not sure how many spaces are actually left in the class, but it doesnt sound like many. Brooklyn was my number one choice, and if I get accepted the decision between Touro NY and ATSU is going to be a very, very difficult one. This school and its new model of medical school is just exactly what I am looking for...........At least if I get into my number one choice CHC New York will be my final destination....

Good luck EastWestN2grt! Hope you get NY. I'm guessing that you're a phlebotomist, judging by your subtitle.

Hey does anyone know when we will find out how much money we were awarded from the FAFSA (if any at all?) Also has anybody called AT Still- Mesa to find out our exact start date? or if we will be getting another packet full of more info- classes, computer to buy, loans etc? Also has anyone asked about that sheet where we have to get everything filled in by our docs like Hep shots etc b/c I have a medical record sheet with doc signatures and I was wondering if that would suffice? And one last question, about the whole CPR thing, my certification ends in August, that should be fine correct?

Hey does anyone know when we will find out how much money we were awarded from the FAFSA (if any at all?) Also has anybody called AT Still- Mesa to find out our exact start date? or if we will be getting another packet full of more info- classes, computer to buy, loans etc? Also has anyone asked about that sheet where we have to get everything filled in by our docs like Hep shots etc b/c I have a medical record sheet with doc signatures and I was wondering if that would suffice? And one last question, about the whole CPR thing, my certification ends in August, that should be fine correct?

-There's a Financial Aid section in the myatsu portal where they're supposed to list the award and allow you to accept or decline it. Although, mine hasn't been posted yet.
-The immunization form says you can either have your Dr. fill it out and sign or you can attched records.
That's all I know. I certainly hope we get a packet with more info, b/c I'm dying to know more stuff. I'd contact Joyce about the rest.

i talked with joyce over the email yesterday. we get are getting a packet in the mail regarding the computer and everything else we could possibly imagine to know (hopefully) sometime in April.

i don't think that they have done the award letters yet. i did my fafsa about feb 1st and called a few weeks later and mrs. sellers (financial aid person at atsu) said they we're going to have the award letters done until late march or april.

as for immunizations: the advisory committee on immunization practices recommends these immunizations for healthcare workers (which would be us):

• a Td booster or Tdap booster (if it has been more than 5 years since your last tetanus shot).
  • 2 doses of MMR
  • 2 doses of Varicella (or titer of immunity)
  • 3 doses of Hepatitis B
  • 3 doses of HPV (if female)
  • PCV, MCV, and/or HepA (if certain other risk factors exist)
i work in immunizations. it's kind of my thing. haha!

Good luck EastWestN2grt! Hope you get NY. I'm guessing that you're a phlebotomist, judging by your subtitle.

i am actually an acupuncturist. I have a degree in Chinese medicine.

Hey all, I got accepted to MESA as well. Does anyone know rent prices in that part of AZ?? Single bed, within 10 miles of the school.

i am actually an acupuncturist. I have a degree in Chinese medicine.

Ah, yes, I didn't think of acupuncture. That's really cool. My CHC (Seattle) offers acupuncture. I've never really seen it done, so it would be interesting to spend some time w/ the acupuncturist when We're there.

Hey all, I got accepted to MESA as well. Does anyone know rent prices in that part of AZ?? Single bed, within 10 miles of the school.

They'll send you a list of possible housing with the acceptance packet. There's a number of apartments near campus in the $600-$1000 range for 1&2 bedrooms.

Interviewed last Thursday(3/29) accepted yeterday and assigned to the Brooklyn CHC. Now I am facing a really difficult choice between schools. I got 14 days before I have to give my decision to ATSU, so I think I am goind to look for cheap tickets to fly out to New York (again--i was there on Feb 14 for Touro interview) and check out the CHC. Anyone else do a scout of their CHCs??What are your thoughts if you have gone to see them....??

I have an interview on 4/19 and I'm really interested in the Brooklyn CHC. Is anyone else scheduled for an interview on 4/19?

I have one 4/12. I am excited.

Clay

Good luck!!! Arizona's really pretty and they give you a decent lunch.

Does anyone know what the dress code will be for this upcoming year?

Does anyone know what the dress code will be for this upcoming year?

I don't think they've informed us of that yet. By second year it's probably going to be pretty professional since we'll be at the CHCs.

i vote for scrubs. but aloha shirts seem to be acceptable in the hawaii chc-business casual?

hey i remember them saying at my interview that the dress first year is business casual and that you could not wear jeans which really upset me, i live in jeans, oh well i guess i will have to invest in some khakis or something, as for the CHC's I think we will have to dress pretty nice too, however when i went to the hawaii chc many people were wearing jeans although others dressed more business like, i guess we will have to wait and see...........

i live in jeans, oh well i guess i will have to invest in some khakis or something

Haha, I live in shorts :(. Guess I have to grow up a little. I was hoping it'd be like KCOM - students seem to pretty much wear whatever. Oh well.

I already got accepted to DMU, but just got an invite from MESA COM. It's scheduled for today , Apri 12 or April 26. I would love to go and visit the school, especially Arizona. But I don't know if I should go or not since it's too late in the process right now. Anyone, please help!

Mesa started interviewing late in the cycle, so there's definitely spaces open. However, some of the CHC's are already full (Visalia, Tucson, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Seattle, Oregon filled...as far as I know). You might want to look into the remaining cities (Milford, Ohio, Beaufort, South Carolina, Troy, Alabama, Brooklyn, New York, Waianae, Hawaii)as a factor in your decision. Also the program is very unique, so read up on it on the school's website. If you can spare the extra cash, it doesn't hurst to take a look. Arizona is really pretty.

I already got accepted to DMU, but just got an invite from MESA COM. It's scheduled for today , Apri 12 or April 26. I would love to go and visit the school, especially Arizona. But I don't know if I should go or not since it's too late in the process right now. Anyone, please help!

The curriculum is very unique, and so very appealing. My deposit money is already at Touro NY, but I went to the interview and was very impressed and am now strongly leaning towards ATSU.

If you have the funds, you should go and see it. You may be very impressed as well...