A view of Dentistry from outside the profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomOD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe dentistry is one of the greatest health-care professions because you have little, if any, competition except with other dentists. No other health-care provider to my knowledge enjoys this distinction.

I am an Optometrist and love my job but I have enormous competition from Ophthalmologist, Opticians, Family Doctors, Physician Assistants etc (and anyone else who gets board and would like to treat red eyes). The same is true for Podiatrist who have competition from Orthopedic MD's, Family doc., PA.s etc. Chiropractors have competition with Orthopedics, Family docs., P.A.'s etc.

I think only Dentists enjoy this great lack of competition. You won't find a family doctor or anyone else messing with teeth (to my knowledge).

Am I wrong?

You guys got it pretty great from my view! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

No you are not wrong we have no competition from the health care field. However in the minds of many patients (read cosumers) much of what we can provide is optional. If one tooth is bothersome "just pull it doc, I've got what 20 or so more?" Whereas I don't imagine many people have eyes extracted. My competition comes from cruises,snowmobiles, new cars etc. The profession is very rewarding and there are enough people who value all phases of what we can provide that make it very worthwile.

Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but this message is for INeedAnAssociate:

I sent you a private message a while ago, but I don't know if you have read it yet. If you could please respond, that would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall, I agree with your comments, but in North Carolina dental hygenists are able to perform functions such as administering fluoride varnishes and such, which diminishes our role. However, the reasoning behind this is that many Medicare patients do not receive adequate dental treatment so this might provide some type of intervention, which is a good thing.

In North Carolina are RDH allowed independent practice? Also did you mean Medicaid not Medicare? In Vermont Medicare doesn't cover any dental treatment!

yes, i do mean medicaid, but the details are in one of last year's JADA. I dont know the specifics.