A whole new radiobiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWallnerus

e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residents, we're gonna need a bigger boat. Woops no. A new radiobiology textbook. Yes, a new textbook and new exams et cetera et cetera. I'd like to introduce FLASH. From the FlashForward Consortium. Proud of you guys. This will be the Savior of the Universe.

Will not be a flash in the pan, promise you that. Detailed radiobiology stuff (which I totally understand) here.

Varian Discloses First Preclinical Results of Potential Major Breakthrough in Cancer Treatment

Goo goo g'joob

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need protons for that. And it's not that new...

Research has been published before and a number of groups are working on that. Our colleagues in Lausanne have done research on it.
For those who can read French: Recherche translationnelle

and published some results showing less toxicity in mice-CNS:
Irradiation in a flash: Unique sparing of memory in mice after whole brain irradiation with dose rates above 100Gy/s. - PubMed - NCBI
and different kinds of effects according to tissue:
Ultrahigh dose-rate FLASH irradiation increases the differential response between normal and tumor tissue in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

In all, quite interesting data, but still there's a long road to go before we reach conclusions. To me it's a bit like the whole radiobiology of heavy ions. It's quite unclear what to expect.

Reactions: 1 user
There may well be something to this concept, but calling your own work "paradigm changing" is so. very. cringey.

Reactions: 1 user