Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

AA female. Any suggestions for schools?

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by TRussell74, Apr 15, 2018.

1. TRussell74

Pre-Medical
    1. Hello! I am really looking for some advice on my chances of getting in this cycle with my stats. I am an Ohio resident and an 22 year old African-American female. Traditionalapplicant with a gap year.
      GPA: cGPA= 3.51 sGPA= 3.13 with an upward trend. No Ds or Fs
      MCAT: first attempt: 499 (125-125-124-125) second attempt 503 (126-123-127-127)
      EC: Cello, choir, theatre, orchestra for 4 years
      Shadowing: 30 hours with mostly primary care physicians
      Volunteering: Clinical- ambassador at OSU East and University Hospitals volunteer
      Community: over 100 hours as a camp counselor for inner city youth, Habitat for humanity, served lunch for elderly, miscellaneous, cleaned up local park
      Research: none but worked as a lab helper for 10 months in a research lab.
      Work experience: 2 years retail in high school. I worked as lab helper, campus safety officer, early reading tutor, Physics TA, and tutor during undergrad often working two jobs at a time.

This is current list, please give any input:
      Case Western Reserve (I am legacy. Both parents graduated and father and aunt attended Case Medical)
      University of Toledo
      Ohio State Medical
      University of Cincinatti
      Wright State
      Wayne State
      Morehouse
      Meharrey
      University of Illinois
      Loyola
      Indiana University
      Central Michigan
      Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

DO: Ohio University

#56Today at 12:52 AM
      Last edited: Today at 1:00 AM
      + Quote Reply
    Previous Thread Next Thread
    < Prev1

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. siliso

Physician

Attending Physician
    Certainly possible. Also possible that you may be offered an SMP/MSMS in lieu of immediate acceptance that could improve your sGPA/ app and potential for acceptances next year, and if so you’d be well served to do it. Along with more clinical shadowing and volunteering. Best wishes!

Goro likes this.
  4. TRussell74

Pre-Medical

5. CUatthefinishline

Pre-Medical
    My thoughts:

You should really consider adding more DO schools to your list if you apply this cycle, especially if you definitely want to start med school right away. &, like @siliso mentioned, you should try to ramp up your clinical shadowing, and all volunteering (clinical and non-clinical if either is below 150 hours). I'm not an expert, but my experience is that having high hours in volunteering helps to somewhat compensate for lower stats and reveals more about you as an applicant (& how you spend your time, especially if you're taking gap years). It's also best to pick one or two volunteer activities and do them for a longer period to show commitment/longevity. You need to give them as much as possible to consider outside of just your numbers to have the best shot.

Also, how is being a "lab helper" not research experience (I could just be naive on this :p)? & what exactly did that entail (washing dishes, setting up experiments, data entry, etc.)? Having that as research experience could also boost your app.

EDIT: Sorry! I didn't mean to just offer all this info and not answer your main concern. You have a good chance at getting into med school this cycle, especially if you add more DO's to your list and can really tell your story well (on and off paper).

6. siliso

Physician

Attending Physician
    I was referring to programs offered by medical schools themselves that offer some rigorous grad level courses that would demonstrate you can handle med school level material - even if you can’t move the needle much on your overall GPA, a great graduate level GPA can still help you to overcome the lower undergrad sGPA.

Something like the programs listed in point 1 of this article:
    KeepCalmGoToMedicalSchool: Post bacc programs for underrepresented minorities

Or this one:
    Home - Master of Science in Medical Science (MSMS) Program

#5 siliso, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    Goro likes this.
  7. TRussell74

Pre-Medical
    Hello. Thank you for your advice. I plan on applying to 5 DO schools. Have any suggestions decides OU and LECOM? One of my volunteer experiences lasted for 4 years with my church. I did various things such as Habitat for Humanity, summer camps, serving, etc. As a lab helped I autoclaved dishes, ordered chemicals and materials, and made buffers and growth medias. I did not think it was research because I was not actually doing research myself. Right now I am doing a community based research project with the American Heart Association studying hypertension in local barber shops.

CUatthefinishline likes this.
  8. TRussell74

Pre-Medical
    I want to try to apply broadly to MD and DO schools and if I am unsuccessful I will look into masters programs. I have strong interview skills and am a more holistic applicant because of my musical background (cello, choir, dance, and theatre)

9. siliso

Physician

Attending Physician
    The barbershop trial is a great study and will be an asset to your app (and community) for sure. Get it in there even if you’ve only put in a few hours so far.

I think you have a fair chance to get admitted straight up and agree that a MSMS would be a fallback but a good one if needed.

10. TRussell74

Pre-Medical
    I have done around 15 hours so far. We will be presenting a scientific poster May 1. Do you think my chances are highest for Ohio Schools or HBCUs. Sometimes I wonder if I would even have a chance in an out of state school.

11. CUatthefinishline

Pre-Medical
    That's all excellent and exactly what I was talking about :) I'm sorry if I didn't catch that in your original post. & that is definitely research experience in my book. I worked on more "hands-on" on a project in undergrad for a couple of years, but even those that just volunteered to wash dishes or whatever definitely contributed in some way. You were in the lab and helping with research; that's research experience. I guess, I would ask a PI or Adcom about it to double check but I would definitely put that under research experience & discuss it as being an "entry" for you into research (then pivot to discussing the project that you're on now).

I am not knowledgeable on specific DO schools, so I'm not much help with that list. Maybe @Goro can suggest some?