AACOMAS FAQ 2014-2015 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If all of your coursework and transcripts are in, hit the submit button! You can edit your PS, work and volunteer experience, etc. later. It's taking over 6 weeks for verification right now, so you have plenty of time.

And to directly answer your question, no, that will not speed up your verification process.

I spent an extra 3 weeks making sure everything was perfect before hitting submit, and all it did was delay me 3 weeks (I wish I had browsed this forum beforehand). Don't do what I did. Hit that submit button.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What happens if I edit any part of my application after it's been verified and already released to schools? I want to change one thing to my PS, but once I do, do all the schools update the apps they received with the new one entirely? or will it just show what changes I made to the app? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. I submitted my AACOMAS application on August 1 st and its still in "Processing". I called them and they said my app was successfully submitted on Aug 1. Any one in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Optimistic2015, YES! I thought it was just me...my IS app service, TMDSAS, only took 3 weeks so I was shocked by how long the Processing is for AACOMAS. Good to know I'm not alone!

When will I be able to see my AACOMAS GPA after my app has been verified? I could see it before I submitted it, but not since then, and not even after my app was verified today. Will it become visible once they send it out to schools?

Does anyone know how backed up AACOMAS is right now? As in still taking the full 6 weeks to verify apps?

Couple of dumb q's:

1. How long after verification do secondaries come in? For schools that don't screen.

Thanks!
2. Regarding letters, do I have to individually send my letters from interfolio to each school?

Couple of dumb q's:

1. How long after verification do secondaries come in? For schools that don't screen.

Thanks!
2. Regarding letters, do I have to individually send my letters from interfolio to each school?

1. Depends on the school. I received a secondary from Rowan before my primary was even released to the schools. Just got one from CCOM this morning. Still waiting on the others (it was only released yesterday).

2. Individually, letter by letter? No. You choose all of the letters you want to send to that school and send them in one fell swoop. Takes about 2 minutes to put together and costs $6 per delivery.

How much money does it cost to apply to Texas DO school? And where do I apply?

How much money does it cost to apply to Texas DO school? And where do I apply?
Look up TMDSAS. I believe it's too late to apply for TCOM though. Texas app opens up in may. They've already started matching people

Members don't see this ad :)
So I submitted my primary application last week to 19 schools. I`m mostly happy with it but still wanted to edit the work\extracurricular sections. On the descriptions do they a lengthy paragraph explainingwhat we did, learned, etc. ? Do they want bullet points? Or do they just a short description

Hey guys. I have a question. I see that @symphx also asked this same question.

I submitted my application. It was verified and released to schools and I received secondaries to almost all the schools I applied to. While I was looking over the pdf, I realized I FORGOT TO INCLUDE MY SHADOWING HOURS!!! I don't understand how I did that, I checked it off my checklist. At any rate, what is the best way to resolve this? Can I add it to my primary application and will they update the schools? Or do I contact each school and talk to them? Thanks!

I was verified last Tuesday and I still haven't received any secondaries. When log into aacomas it says I'm verified but still has the "receipt" tab next to the schools..is this normal or should I call?

I was verified last Tuesday and I still haven't received any secondaries. When log into aacomas it says I'm verified but still has the "receipt" tab next to the schools..is this normal or should I call?

Last Tuesday as in yesterday or a week ago? If it was verified yesterday, it won't be released until next Tuesday because they only send it out Tuesday mornings, you probably didn't make that cut. If your app was verified a week ago, it would have only been released yesterday and will take a couple days for dates to show up next to schools. Schools have their own schedules for downloading and screening primaries so don't call yet.

Last Tuesday as in yesterday or a week ago? If it was verified yesterday, it won't be released until next Tuesday because they only send it out Tuesday mornings, you probably didn't make that cut. If your app was verified a week ago, it would have only been released yesterday and will take a couple days for dates to show up next to schools. Schools have their own schedules for downloading and screening primaries so don't call yet.
Yup last Tuesday. Sorry for the silly question I've had a hard time understanding how aacomas works!

Yup last Tuesday. Sorry for the silly question I've had a hard time understanding how aacomas works!

No worries! They don't make the process super easy to track (in my opinion) but you can look forward to secondaries to start rolling in now :)

Hi,

I submitted my application on September 21st. I'm getting ready to send in my recommendation letters soon to all of the schools. Would it be appropriate for me to also put in a letter of intent? I know it's usually encouraged after your application has been processed/secondaries submitted, but would sending one in now be too early?

Thanks!

Hi,

I submitted my application on September 21st. I'm getting ready to send in my recommendation letters soon to all of the schools. Would it be appropriate for me to also put in a letter of intent? I know it's usually encouraged after your application has been processed/secondaries submitted, but would sending one in now be too early?

Thanks!

So your primary application is still being verified? I wouldn't send a letter of intent before even receiving a secondary. That's what secondaries are for -- you will get a chance to write an essay, probably longer than you'd like, about why you want to go to a particular school. I think most people get secondaries if they meet the minimum requirements

So your primary application is still being verified? I wouldn't send a letter of intent before even receiving a secondary. That's what secondaries are for -- you will get a chance to write an essay, probably longer than you'd like, about why you want to go to a particular school. I think most people get secondaries if they meet the minimum requirements

Thanks! Yeah a couple of people have me that advice.

When filling out descriptions for the extracurricular and work experience, how do we go about writing it. Should it be in bullet form, a lengthy paragraph. Should we just say what we did, or write about what we gained from the experience, what we learned, etc.

So should I expect the app to take more than 6 weeks to be verified if I just submitted my primary? AACOMAS has all my information (transcripts, MCAT) already there

I doubt it's taking that long anymore. Peak season has ended. I think someone posted on the verification thread fairly recently and it took about 4 weeks or so to get verified.

So should I expect the app to take more than 6 weeks to be verified if I just submitted my primary? AACOMAS has all my information (transcripts, MCAT) already there

I doubt it's taking that long anymore. Peak season has ended. I think someone posted on the verification thread fairly recently and it took about 4 weeks or so to get verified.

My app just got verified a week ago. It took around 4 weeks, so it should be faster by now.

Thanks! I was hoping for some good news

EDIT: I just got verified. Took 8 days from submitting the app!

Last edited:
I submitted my aacomas and has been verified since the end of September. I am still waiting for my MCAT score since I took it Oct. 25. I was wondering if there was any way I can add work experience and volunteer experience to my application even though it has already been verified. Do I need to resubmit again with if I plan to make the the small change to my application?

I submitted my aacomas and has been verified since the end of September. I am still waiting for my MCAT score since I took it Oct. 25. I was wondering if there was any way I can add work experience and volunteer experience to my application even though it has already been verified. Do I need to resubmit again with if I plan to make the the small change to my application?
From my understanding every time you update your application it will get sent to the schools after a short period of waiting. For instance a new transcript gets sent in 3 weeks. I would assume experience things would take less, but idk!

From my understanding every time you update your application it will get sent to the schools after a short period of waiting. For instance a new transcript gets sent in 3 weeks. I would assume experience things would take less, but idk!

Thanks for the reply! I don't know if I should click submit again or just wait until I get my mcat score. I just want to update my work experience since I think it will look good to have more bedside patient care in my application.

What do i put for "name of organization" if I independently tutored some kids of families I knew? I did not get paid. Please let me know ASSAPPP

Last edited:
You could put something like "Tutoring Services".
AACOMAS won't like flip out or return my app will they? What if we put the same thing as "position title" ? or just put "Not Available" or "N/A" or something?

AACOMAS won't like flip out or return my app will they? What if we put the same thing as "position title" ? or just put "Not Available" or "N/A" or something?
It's better to writing something rather than N/a. I would use something like "Personal Tutor" or something like that.

No they won't flip out. I did a similar thing with a couple of my activities that were hard to explain and my app was approved without any problems. Definitely put something. N/A isn't the best idea

K. Thanks guys! i really appreciate it!

Another question regarding how to list shadowing.

I have 6 doctors I have shadowed and they are each from different private practices/hospitals.

I read earlier in this thread that you should do only one entry for shadowing... but there is only one "Organization Name" title for that entry.

What should i do? Should I just have 6 different entries (with different organization names, dates, hours, etc.) with each doctor's name and what I saw? They are each from different specialties so I figured i'd ask you all!

Please let me know asap!!! :)

anybody???

Are you applying in June 2015? If so, you could stand to chill a little bit. It's great that you're already working on your application, and I'm sure it will really help you stay calm next May when everyone is opening up AACOMAS for the first time, but there's no real need to stress over this kind of small stuff so early. Focus on the big picture.

I wouldn't advise you to make 6 different entires for shadowing. I had the same thing, where I had shadowed docs at various places. Under organization name, I chose to put the name of the hospital where I completed the majority of my shadowing hours, but then underneath listed all of the doctors, organizations, dates, hours, etc. in the entry itself. You could choose to do that, if there is one place you spent a significant amount of time, or just say "(Region or city name) area hospitals and clinics" or something vague. To be honest, it doesn't really matter/no one will care what you put, as long as in the entry itself you can make clear what you actually did.

Are you applying in June 2015? If so, you could stand to chill a little bit. It's great that you're already working on your application, and I'm sure it will really help you stay calm next May when everyone is opening up AACOMAS for the first time, but there's no real need to stress over this kind of small stuff so early. Focus on the big picture.

I wouldn't advise you to make 6 different entires for shadowing. I had the same thing, where I had shadowed docs at various places. Under organization name, I chose to put the name of the hospital where I completed the majority of my shadowing hours, but then underneath listed all of the doctors, organizations, dates, hours, etc. in the entry itself. You could choose to do that, if there is one place you spent a significant amount of time, or just say "(Region or city name) area hospitals and clinics" or something vague. To be honest, it doesn't really matter/no one will care what you put, as long as in the entry itself you can make clear what you actually did.

Thanks Ananasmed. Yes I am applying in June 2015, but I am on winter break and am trying to complete my primary and as many secondary essays as I can and save the material so when it comes time to fill in the material I am ready to go.

Last edited:
Thanks Gordon. Yes I saw that reply when I searched for it but what about what we learned and why that particular shadowing experience was important to us? Do we save that for secondaries? I just don't want my primary stuff to be looked at and taken less seriously because I didn't list something as a separate entry or didn't elaborate on it enough. My stats aren't too great. Mid 3.4sGPA and mid 3.3 cGPA with 27 MCAT.

I would save it for the secondaries. Half of the secondaries that I filled out had 1 question about describing your ostepathic experience or exposure to primary care or rural. The other half didn't but you can mention somehow in the other types of secondary questions or squeeze in what you can in the primary app, but I don't think shadowing is gonna make or break and application.

Hey guys I'm trying to add some last minute schools (I know I know) but it's not letting me? Anyone else have this issue?

Hey guys I'm trying to add some last minute schools (I know I know) but it's not letting me? Anyone else have this issue?

Maybe the website is down for maintenance because they thought no one would be crazy enough to add more schools on NYE? ;) or be on SDN for that matter. Never underestimate the neuroticism of a med school applicant!

So I hit the majority of my secondaries at the beginning of December 2014. Unfortunately I had some unexpected emergencies and was only able to pay for the LECOM secondaries. I'm getting a paycheck in 1 week and hope to submit the rest of them. Should I call the schools and let them know? Is turning asecondary in now too late?

I have two questions about extracurricular activities:

1. If I have been consistently exercising/going to the gym 10-12 hours every week since I was first year, should I put it on the application?
2. Also, the new AACOMAS application needs me to calculate how many weeks and how many hours per week I have been volunteering. Can I just put my total number of nonclinical and clinical volunteering on the application without doing that?