AACOMAS FAQ 2014-2015 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can submit but they won't start the verification process until you have all your transcripts in.

Members don't see this ad.

Question about MSUCOM:

They have a genetics course requirement. I haven't taken that course and just stumbled upon that requirement when looking at the secondary. Can I take an online intro genetics course online within the next 8 months to fill this?

Also, I think it's dumb they have genetics as required and not recommended -.-

I just put high school/equivalent even though both dropped out. I thought it was weird that "some high school" wasn't an option.

What is the appropriate response tot he question regarding parental education level if neither had a high school degree? Is it no answer?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to fix typos in the application after they've been sent to schools. I've received a few ii already, but was hoping to fix my typos before my interviews. Thanks!

Can someone please tell me how to find my verified AACOMAS gpas? Previous threads have said the only way I can see it is by looking at the pdf that schools have received but I have no idea how to do this. I was verified last Saturday and have already received a lot of secondaries so I know my app has been released.

Can someone please tell me how to find my verified AACOMAS gpas? Previous threads have said the only way I can see it is by looking at the pdf that schools have received but I have no idea how to do this. I was verified last Saturday and have already received a lot of secondaries so I know my app has been released.

I have the same question

On the homepage of your application, you'll see a column next to the schools that says "status" with a release date. Click "view" and a pdf of your application with your GPA will pop up.

It's also possible for your app to be released to schools before the release date/pdf shows up on your end. If you don't see release dates yet, just check back in a few days!

It's also possible for your app to be released to schools before the release date/pdf shows up on your end. If you don't see release dates yet, just check back in a few days!
Will the PDF show up next to the school?

Thanks for the response!

Thanks for the response!
Yes. It will be really obvious. Mine didn't show up until the Thursday evening after the Tuesday it was transmitted. You will probably see it today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the response!

Yes, there will be a PDF next to each school and it will show the release date for that particular school (they should all be the same for schools you applied to at the same time). Each PDF will be slightly different, in that it shows any outstanding coursework for each particular school, etc. But the GPA calculations should be identical for all of them.

To add to this:
If you add more schools, the process seems identical, that is, school is added, primary transmitted on Tuesday, PDF of transmission shows up a few days later. I was sent a receipt email by the school I added Wednesday, even before I could see the PDF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am a Canadian applicant who will hopefully be applying soon. I had a couple questions about transcripts conversation.

I am not sure what semester hours is, my university gives credits for each class. Can anyone explain what I need to do

Also I did a cardio tech program after my BSc its just a diploma but does that count has postgraduate and do I need to send in that transcript too?

Thanks in advance! :D

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on applying to about 10-12 osteopathic schools right now.
My Stats:
GPA

Cumulative GPA - 3.61
Science GPA - 3.51
Non-science GPA - 3.76
-I had one C in Gen Chem II freshman year, and 1 C in Neurphysiology in my final semester of senior year.

MCAT - Highest 30; I have taken it 5x times total (I know :( not the best trend. I'm sure med schools are not gonna look favorably on this. However I did have an upward trend. I really struggled with learning how to take/study for the MCAT)
LORS - I have about 5 LOR's - 2 from physicians (1 MD, 1 DO) I have worked with, 3 professors, and 1 from a PhD I researched with
Work Experience - Office Aide for 2 years. Pharmacy Clerk/Pharmacy Tech-in-training for 9 months; PhysAssist Scribe/Scribe Trainer for almost 1.5 years
Research - 1 summer at Baylor ; 6 months at my university (I didn't get published)
Extracurriculars - I've had various activities with different clubs, and such. I've held 1 leadership position in a club.
Volunteer - Various with different organizations. Nothing too consistent. However for past few months I have been consistent working atFood Bank
Internship - 1 month long (200 hours) of interning at hospital in cardiac outpatient floor.

Sorry for the really long paragraph above, I'm just trying to get a good idea of where I stand. I plan on having my application in within 1 week exactly. 2/3 of my transcripts have already been received.

I know I'm somewhat late on the cycle, but where do you guys think I stand in terms of getting accepted??!!

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on applying to about 10-12 osteopathic schools right now.
My Stats:
GPA

Cumulative GPA - 3.61
Science GPA - 3.51
Non-science GPA - 3.76
-I had one C in Gen Chem II freshman year, and 1 C in Neurphysiology in my final semester of senior year.

MCAT - Highest 30; I have taken it 5x times total (I know :( not the best trend. I'm sure med schools are not gonna look favorably on this. However I did have an upward trend. I really struggled with learning how to take/study for the MCAT)
LORS - I have about 5 LOR's - 2 from physicians (1 MD, 1 DO) I have worked with, 3 professors, and 1 from a PhD I researched with
Work Experience - Office Aide for 2 years. Pharmacy Clerk/Pharmacy Tech-in-training for 9 months; PhysAssist Scribe/Scribe Trainer for almost 1.5 years
Research - 1 summer at Baylor ; 6 months at my university (I didn't get published)
Extracurriculars - I've had various activities with different clubs, and such. I've held 1 leadership position in a club.
Volunteer - Various with different organizations. Nothing too consistent. However for past few months I have been consistent working atFood Bank
Internship - 1 month long (200 hours) of interning at hospital in cardiac outpatient floor.

Sorry for the really long paragraph above, I'm just trying to get a good idea of where I stand. I plan on having my application in within 1 week exactly. 2/3 of my transcripts have already been received.

I know I'm somewhat late on the cycle, but where do you guys think I stand in terms of getting accepted??!!
Well, first of all, you're not late. DO cycle runs much longer than MD. Late is November or later.

Secondly, you obviously have great stats for DO. MCATs of 26+ are generally considered competitive. I wouldn't worry about it. I applied with lower stats with a much later application and got accepted. You'll be fine.

Well, first of all, you're not late. DO cycle runs much longer than MD. Late is November or later.

Secondly, you obviously have great stats for DO. MCATs of 26+ are generally considered competitive. I wouldn't worry about it. I applied with lower stats with a much later application and got accepted. You'll be fine.

If you don't mind, what school did you end up going to? I'm not very familiar with a lot of the DO schools, so I'm curious what schools other students got into and what they think of them

If you don't mind, what school did you end up going to? I'm not very familiar with a lot of the DO schools, so I'm curious what schools other students got into and what they think of them
I'm going to SOMA in 2015. i deferred my acceptance

I submitted my application July 31st and it is still process. Should I begin to worry ?

I am still a bit confused. I have both fall and spring semester left before starting med school, I have all the Pre-req done already. Do I include classes that I plan on taking to finish up my degree for both the fall and spring semester or only the ones for the fall that I am currently registered for. Also since I plan on dropping one of the classes that I am for the fall (not allowed till the 28th) should I just not list it...but my transcript that I plan on getting sent soon will still have it on there and I don't want to get screwed with verification timing.

Thanks Guys

Another question. I have an MCAT score from June on my application. I plan on taking the mcat again next year, so I listed a plan date. Will they not consider my application until they get the planned test score? Should just remove the planned test score and if I happen to do better report it to them on my secondaries? not sure what is best

I am still a bit confused. I have both fall and spring semester left before starting med school, I have all the Pre-req done already. Do I include classes that I plan on taking to finish up my degree for both the fall and spring semester or only the ones for the fall that I am currently registered for. Also since I plan on dropping one of the classes that I am for the fall (not allowed till the 28th) should I just not list it...but my transcript that I plan on getting sent soon will still have it on there and I don't want to get screwed with verification timing.

Thanks Guys
I was told to put exactly what appears on your transcript that you willing be sending to AACOMAS.

So I submitted my primary app today, but now I am a bit concerned about my recommendation file. My university says it takes 3-4 weeks once everything for my credential file is submitted to finish my Recommendation file and be ready to sent out, what do these schools do with my primary app if my LOR are not there on time. Also how do I know when to send my LOR to the schools, once my app is verified?

So I submitted my primary app today, but now I am a bit concerned about my recommendation file. My university says it takes 3-4 weeks once everything for my credential file is submitted to finish my Recommendation file and be ready to sent out, what do these schools do with my primary app if my LOR are not there on time. Also how do I know when to send my LOR to the schools, once my app is verified?
LORs are usually sent in with secondary apps. When school receive your primary, they will review it and send you a secondary invite after. They ask you to send in LOR at that time.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my primary to AACOMAS a few days ago and it still says "Submitted to AACOMAS" but hasn't changed to "Released." Is there usually this long of a delay? I'm getting kind of worried.

I submitted my primary to AACOMAS a few days ago and it still says "Submitted to AACOMAS" but hasn't changed to "Released." Is there usually this long of a delay? I'm getting kind of worried.
It will take more than 30+ days to get verified after you submit to aacomas. After that, it will say " released to schools".

I'm already verified. I was just waiting for MCATs to designate more schools that I wanted to submit my application to.
It will take more than 30+ days to get verified after you submit to aacomas. After that, it will say " released to schools".

It should be soon. Mine happened within 2 days of being verified.
I'm already verified. I was just waiting for MCATs to designate more schools that I wanted to submit my application to.

From what I've read on SDN, AACOMAS releases applications every Tuesday. So, should be released tomorrow.

Probably already been answered but if I am doing a Masters and received a grade in a class that I want to use as a grade replacement for an undergraduate grade can that new grade count as the replacement to boost my undergrad GPA as well as towards my graduate GPA?

@Awesome Sauceome

My application just got verified, and I was in your situation in which I had to put P/F next to lab components because my school counts lab as "0 credit".

My verified app retained the P/F classification even though I never took any course under P/F. P/F does not appear anywhere on my transcript; I had to enter P/F on AACOMAS because of their format requirements.

Since you have started to receive secondaries and IIs, did any medical school give you problem? I would hope that schools won't assume that I took lab sections as P/F when in reality the lab credit/grade are all included in the lecture credit/grade.

Thanks!

Hey guys, going to submit tomorrow after a review. How late am I to the party? Had my app done last week but have been sitting on it for too long. Wanted to rewrite the PS but don't think it'll be worth the time. Going to use the same one I used for AMCAS but modified so its shorter. Didn't mention osteopathic medicine but planning on mentioning it in my secondaries. My top osteo schools are DMU and PCOM.

Last edited:
Hey guys, going to submit tomorrow after a review. How late am I to the party? Had my app done last week but have been sitting on it for too long. Wanted to rewrite the PS but don't think it'll be worth the time. Going to use the same one I used for AMCAS but modified so its shorter. Didn't mention osteopathic medicine but planning on mentioning it in my secondaries. My top osteo schools are DMU and PCOM.
Not late at all

Did anyone notice a delay between transcripts being sent and officially noted as "Received"? It seems like a few of my transcripts are taking a bit longer than I'd anticipated, making me believe my app won't be verified until late Sept / early Oct. Would that be considered regular or late?

I asked this question once before and did not get a response. Just gonna try again in case anyone knows. I am currently waiting for my application to be verified. I have a June 2014 MCAT score on the application. It was not good! So I plan to retake the test in January. I added the second planned date.

My question is... will med schools not consider me for admission until they see the second MCAT score? Should I just mention studying again for the mcat on my secondaries (if I am lucky enough to get some)?

Any help would be appreciated

I asked this question once before and did not get a response. Just gonna try again in case anyone knows. I am currently waiting for my application to be verified. I have a June 2014 MCAT score on the application. It was not good! So I plan to retake the test in January. I added the second planned date.

My question is... will med schools not consider me for admission until they see the second MCAT score? Should I just mention studying again for the mcat on my secondaries (if I am lucky enough to get some)?

Any help would be appreciated
It's hard to know without knowing what your score actually is. They probably won't send you an secondaries/ii until the new score is in (depending on what your score is.)

If you submit scores through the THx system to AACOMAS, then later in the cycle take the MCAT again, will THx automatically send your new scores to AACOMAS, or do you have to reauthorize THx to send them again?

I don't understand this process. I'm getting interviews at schools where I barely put effort into the secondary and I'm still waiting on places where I put my blood, sweat and tears into the secondary. It's so frustrating.

Here's your official welcome to the application cycle. First rule, it's all a crapshoot.

Hi everyone,

I know that you can add schools after AACOMAS has been verified. However, can you add them when it is being processed? This will not delay the verification?

Also, how do I update AACOMAS? It is just like AMCAS where when you change something you have to submit it again? (Sorry, applying first time...)

Last edited:
I don't understand this process. I'm getting interviews at schools where I barely put effort into the secondary and I'm still waiting on places where I put my blood, sweat and tears into the secondary. It's so frustrating.
Haha exactly!!!

I spilled my heart and soul into a couple and got nothin.

Its a crap shoot heh

Question on application lateness, which I'm sure has been beat to death but will give me peace of mind. I've signed up for a retake MCAT (6 PS score, ouch) but went ahead and sent my app in this week with one school that I have no interest in attending. When my app is eventually verified and my retake indicated will I be ok when my new score comes back in November? Or is this super late to add schools? I'm taking the 10/21 test.

Sorry to add to the lateness hysteria....I submitted my app 7/22, and last Monday had it undelivered so I could add a last minute summer course transcript. They said I wouldn't lose my place in line, but it's taking them a very long time to send this transcript. If i'm not verified until mid-september is that way too late? My stats aren't superb... 3.22, 3.25, 28

The name of the class was called allied health chemistry - I took it at a cc and it did not transfer to cover my general chemistry requirement or anything - I put it under "other non-science" I am really hoping that is the case because I got a c+ in it and it would bring down my sgpa

I submitted on 8/14 and I still have not been reviewed. Can you guys tell me how long your primary app took to be reviewed? Thanks. Much appreciated.

I submitted on 8/14 and I still have not been reviewed. Can you guys tell me how long your primary app took to be reviewed? Thanks. Much appreciated.

If by reviewed you mean verified, it took me 6 weeks and a day. I submitted my primary on 7/17. So there's nothing to worry about :)

Hey guys, anyone have any idea how to classify a winter or summer session? Should I put "semester" since the fall and spring terms are technically semesters? It wouldn't be a trimester though. So I don't really know what to put for "term type."

I plan on submitting my AACOMAS application within the next 3 days, but I've submitted all of my transcripts and they've all been received by August 22. I clicked the "all courses entered" button and have finished my college coursework section. Would this help speed up my verification process?