AACOMAS web based application - SHORT ESSAY!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCV

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are going to apply that thave not, the new web based option for AACOMAS is nice, but the space you have for personal comments is VERY short (200 words) compared to the AMCAS space on their electronic application and the paper AACOMAS. Does anyone think this reduced space will be a disadvantage to the web based folks? I have trouble writing a lot in a small space! Are the AAMCAS essays not as critical as AMCAS essays? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i agree..it is way too short to write anything of quality. also i seem to have problems uploading the information from the additional page. anyone else having this problem?

I am doing my app now, and the website is incredibly slow. I filled out the paper app yesterday (just in case) and it took me less time to do that one. Also, editing coursework already entered isn't easily done..my edits aren't being taken, corrections aren't being made. I am afraid I will get a response that my app is delayed because of a website error.....anyone else concerned with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, your AACOMAS essay is just your introduction. It is important to make a good, concise statement. However, the meat of your personal statement will be in your supplemental. Of the several I have seen, you will have more than enough room to express yourself and answer the questions that the schools will ask you.

Just my two cents based on inquiries to admission counselors.

RDJ
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by RDJ (edited 06-05-2000).]

*says to RDJ*

"True....True."
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Only fool fight man with Brisk?!"
-Bruce Lee

Well it's reassuring to know that you all think it is okay to have only 200 words. I worked out something that I think will do the trick. I have seen a few secondaries in my time as well and I think you're right in those being a good forum for my babble!

Good luck.

I appreciate the constructive comments and information regarding AACOMAS On-Line. As you are aware this is the initial version of AACOMAS On-Line and will require constant monitoring on our part to insure a viable, user friendly product. In fact, we have already made several adjustments that should ease the use of the web application. Of course those students who do not have access or do not wish to use AACOMAS On-Line can use the paper application which is available as a PDF file on our web site, www.aacom.org.
In regards to the limited personal statement, this can be used as your introduction as all 19 colleges of osteopathic medicine will give you additional opportunity to articulate your interests in their supplemental applications. We remain confident AACOMAS On-Line will be of great value to our applicants and our colleges. I appreciate your interests and patience as we move forward. If you have additional comments you can contact me directly. I welcome your input.

Robert F. Ruiz
Vice President for Application Services
American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS)
[email protected]

For those of you reading this who have not filled it out yet, it is actually (approx) 350 words, not 200.

I went through all the pain and effort of squeezing out a statement that was under 200 words, only to enter it and find out I had another 150 to go.

By that time I was so tired and frustrated that I just left it.

That is wierd. I word-counted mine, said 185 words on Microsoft Word..and when I pasted it into the space..it made me take out about 20 more..so I actually counted them......183 words was all..then the next day, I went back and tried again...let me add about 10, but was still under 200. Go figure

I'm having the same sort of trouble except it allowed me to put in over 200 words. I don't know if I should leave it or shorten it to less then 200. This online app. seems to be more trouble then it is worth!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Save your sanity, find a typewriter/word processor and fill out the paper app. Your probably wasting more time fooling around with the online version.

AACOMAS has stated that the web based applications will reach the schools in two weeks (approximately). The paper based applications have taken six to eight weeks to reach the schools in the past. Consider that in your decision of web vs paper.