aacomas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bradley

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do organizational memberships go (eg., Am. Assn. of Whatever, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you clarify your question?

AACOMAS = American Association of Colleges of Osteoathic Medicine Application Service

AOA = American Osteopathic Association

Are these it? :cool:

Put those things in the section where it asks for Awards, Internships, etc.

That is how I understand it, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it!!! Thanks JP. You're understanding makes more logical sense...

Personally, I really don't think it matters all that much (as long as you don't list the American Physiological Society as a class you took during the fall semester of you freshman year).

BTW...has AACOM gotten their piece-of-crap web app to work this year??? Last year was a NIGHTMARE from start to finish. I was able to submit it only after many attempts and many heated phone conversations with the Vice-president of something-something at AACOM. The guy was probably a summer intern or something.

Sorry, just venting. Good luck!

Say all, I have a question on the AACOMAS app, too. This may be stupid, but what does "level of responsibility" mean on the job section? Do they mean management level (uh, does "lackey" count?), security level, or what? It would make more sense to be able to put duties, or something that would tell what the job involved. I mean, do they really just want job title and dates? Or are they looking for low, medium, high, what? If so, that's almost impossible to determine in my job. Management doesn't think my job is important, but the nurses and doctors do, for instance!

Also, on the personal statement, I know the AMCAS personal statement has twice as much space available and they wanted a rather succinct "story" - but what does AACOMAS want? Is it supposed to be story-like, i.e., beginning, middle and end, or just a listing of things they want, etc.

I tried to reach my advisor yesterday but she wasn't in, so any advise from anyone here will be appreciated as I really want to try and get this done this w/e as I have to move next week.

Thanks! :)

level of responsibility.... I don't remember than in last year's apps.... That does appear on the secondaries. What I would do and have done (in secondaries) is to put the duties you have done/whatever the job involved. That would paint a better picture for the adcoms.

As far as the personal statement for AACOMAS, I simple stated how I came upon osteopathic medicine and how it inspired me to further research the philosophies and thus coming to the conclusion that osteo is for me.... Something to that effect. I named a couple of docs and mentioned my enthusiasm with attending conferences such as COMP's and meetings at my universities.

Personally, I think a did a bit much on the personal statement.... You'll get your chance when it comes to the secondaries. If you're interested in some of the questions in the secondaries, just post up the particular school and I'll see whether or not I applied to them... If I did, I'll post up the questions. Good luck Catherine.... I really enjoyed your post at the BA/MD program trend.... Thanks, Popoy :cool:

Originally posted by Popoy:
•level of responsibility.... I don't remember than in last year's apps.... That does appear on the secondaries. What I would do and have done (in secondaries) is to put the duties you have done/whatever the job involved. That would paint a better picture for the adcoms.•

Thanks, Popoy, that just makes more sense to me too!

• You'll get your chance when it comes to the secondaries. If you're interested in some of the questions in the secondaries, just post up the particular school and I'll see whether or not I applied to them... If I did, I'll post up the questions. Good luck Catherine.... I really enjoyed your post at the BA/MD program trend.... Thanks, Popoy :cool:

Thanks Popoy, all of us traditional premeds have suffered tremendously because of the prevelence of 6-yr students at UMKC, so I am a bit prejudiced. But I have gotten to know some of the 6-yrs over the years (they're not ALL arrogant and stuckup of course!) and I also feel for what they have to go through. Everyone I've talked to wishes they'd gone through the traditionsl 4+4 route, so it's not good for them, either. And their fail rate on the Step exams speaks volumes about the program!

As for osteopathic schools, I plan to apply to UHS, KCOM, Nova and maybe OSU. I was thinking of applying to DMU, but there was so much written about it that was bad on the boards a while back I was a little afraid to, so I don't know for sure on that.

Thanks for all your help Popoy- you epitomize the spirit of mentoring that we should all be involved with concerning our current and future colleagues. Good luck to you in all that you do! :D

What are some of the secondary questions from OU, LECOM, KCOM, DMU, and NOVA?

Doctortobee,

Here are the secondary questions:

LECOM:
* How do you plan to finance your osteopathic medical education?
* List any employment in chronological oder beginning with your current position.
* Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician
* Explain or describe any clinical and/or health related experiences you have had, include extra-curricular school and community activities.

DMU:
* Briefly list your medically related experience. This can be paid emplyment, volnteer work or both. List current experience first. Describe your medical experience in your personal statement.
* The admissions committee requires a statement of no more than two pages describing your interest in training as an Osteopathic physician. Attach to this application. A separate employment or extracurriclar record is not required. Do not send research articles (you may refer to publications in your statement): Do not send transcrips or other documetns unless requested by us.

KCOM:
* List clinical/health Related Experiences, dates of experience, description of experience.
* What has changed since your last application?
* What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?
* Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

OU: (Sorry I didn't apply to OUCOM)

NOVA:
* Indicate your extra-curricular and commuity activities and the extent of your involvement (ofiice held, etc.) since graduation of high school.
* Were you employed during the reglar school year (excluding summer) while in undergraduate and graduate school? If yes, list dates of emplyment beginning with your current position, your title or job description, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.
* Have you been employed since you last attended undergraduate or graduate school? if yes....
* List your significant healthcare-related activities since graduation of high school. List dates of involvement, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.
* Have you ever madea previous application to the NSU College of Osteopathic Medicine? When?
* Give the name and relationship of all relatives in the Osteopathic profession (including, college and date of graduation)
* State your reasons for desiring to become an Osteopathic Physician. Use additional sheet if necessary.
* List all the osteopathic medical schools you are applying to this year or have applied to in the past, use additional sheet if necessary
* List all the allopathic medical school you are applying to this year or have applied to in the past, use additional sheet if necessary.

Okee dokee.... That's obviously not all the questions. There are things such as name, address, how did you find out about osteo (check boxes), etc. There are other things in the secondaries such as statements of past disciplinary actions or things of that nature that one needs to elaborate on....

Okay, hope that somewhat helps you think about what you'll be up against come secondary time.

Later, Popoy
:cool:

•level of responsibility.... I don't remember than in last year's apps.... That does appear on the secondaries. What I would do and have done (in secondaries) is to put the duties you have done/whatever the job involved. That would paint a better picture for the adcoms.•

Popoy, I checked with AACOMAS this am, and he said they were indeed looking for "level" as in, level of supervision, etc. So if you're an underling, you just put "underling", or if a nobody, just put "nobody"???? I'm sorry, but that just seems stupid to me - especially since 95% of people applying to med school are not likely to have been in any kind of supervisory capacity.

And as a Unit Secretary, I have always been at the lowest end of the totem pole when it comes to the hospital pecking order, (well maybe except for housekeeping?) So should I just put "lowest end of the totem pole"?? (sic!)

(Although any doctor that doesn't think a unit secretary has the power to make or break his/her day has his/her head up his/her proverbial a..s, IMHO! But that's another story!) ;)

Ooh, I just realized: can the years I spent as a full-time housewife and mother be described as "chief cook and bottle-washer" under level of responsibility? :p

That's probably the only job I've had that gave me anything that could be construed as "supervisory" responsibility - which is really what they're looking for! :rolleyes:

LOL!!! Catherine, Thanks for sharing that with us.... I'm with you on this one!!! Kinda sucks that it has to be that way.... I wonder what they'll do if you just go ahead and describe some of your duties.... huh?!

Actually, Popoy, that's exactly what I'm doing, that is "Unit Secretary" and the most important tenets of what I do, then dates, then.....nothing! I refuse to put "none" for level of responsibility, because any idiot knows (or should know!) that ANY job entails SOME level of responsibility----and let the devil take the hindmost!!!

(Of course she might be changing her tune if she doesn't make it in, she said with a sheepish grin.....)

I'm sure with your stats (whatever they may be) and experience would guaranteed you secondaries.... In that case, then you will have nothing to worry about anymore. Did you see "Nathan's" post on a different trend about a suggestion to send the personal statement to schools ahead of time? That just might work....

Thanks, Popoy, I just replied to Nathan's post. I didn't know you could do that, but I'll probably just wait and see what happens because as you mentioned elsewhere, I do have a lot on my plate right now....sigh. :eek: