aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shouldn't be a problem.

hey thanks for answering all of my questions. I'm all nervous because I want to get in so bad

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email from NYCPM and Western they have put my application on hold until MCAT scores are release. CSPM and Barry are under review still haven't hear anything from AZpod.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email from NYCPM and Western they have put my application on hold until MCAT scores are release. CSPM and Barry are under review still haven't hear anything from AZpod.

How long ago did you submit your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application a week ago.
Wow from everything I see, it seems like AZpod is by far the slowest at responding. One thing I am curious about too. I wonder if anyone knows this. So lets say you get accepted to DMU and you are still waiting to hear from AZpod (because that's your number 1). Do you have enough time to see if you also got accepted to AZpod before putting in a deposit or do you have to put in a deposit to hold your spot at DMU (just in case)?

Wow from everything I see, it seems like AZpod is by far the slowest at responding. One thing I am curious about too. I wonder if anyone knows this. So lets say you get accepted to DMU and you are still waiting to hear from AZpod (because that's your number 1). Do you have enough time to see if you also got accepted to AZpod before putting in a deposit or do you have to put in a deposit to hold your spot at DMU (just in case)?

The schools give you 30 days to put down a deposit.

If you need more time, email them for a deadline extension.

I did that with Kent State and it was fine.

I heard back from AZPOD two days after interviewing. I know DMU responded back a month later saying they were waiting on previous applicants to respond which delayed my response so that could be the cause.

Can I use my letters of recommendation in applying to multiple programs? Like I am applying to a couple of MS programs in case I don't get in this year. I am just throwing this out there to see if anyone has an answer for me I'd appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can I use my letters of recommendation in applying to multiple programs? Like I am applying to a couple of MS programs in case I don't get in this year. I am just throwing this out there to see if anyone has an answer for me I'd appreciate it.

I'd give your rec letter writers a heads up so they can detail specifically to the MS program you're applying to. So adcoms aren't reading about a podiatry program if your writers mentioned that in the letter.

I just got an ii from Barry-pretty excited, AZPOD just started reviewing my application.
Just a quick question in regards of the interviews scheduling dates.
I am all the way in Australia and I am fully booked with patients for four weeks in my clinic.
Are the schools flexible with the interview dates? I obviously need to try to book all interviews in one week so I dont have to come back as it is extremely expensive to flight from Australia. I also have to take time of work and shift my patients around.

I just got an ii from Barry-pretty excited, AZPOD just started reviewing my application.
Just a quick question in regards of the interviews scheduling dates.
I am all the way in Australia and I am fully booked with patients for four weeks in my clinic.
Are the schools flexible with the interview dates? I obviously need to try to book all interviews in one week so I dont have to come back as it is extremely expensive to flight from Australia. I also have to take time of work and shift my patients around.

For AZPOD, they will send you a password and login. There is a portal to schedule your interview and you will pick from a set of dates.

If the date you want is not on the portal, I'd actually email adcoms as soon as you get an invite and explain your situation. They will most likely work with you given how soon the schools have given you an invite!

EDIT: A majority of the interviews have it during the weekday so they can give you a full tour of clinics/campus activity. Mine were mostly Mon/Tues exclusively.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would people like to post how long they had to wait (after verification) it took them to get an interview? (I think it will help those of us who are waiting to have realistic expectations of when to expect an invite)

I feel like there aren't that many applicants this cycle at all.. Kind of concerns me. Thoughts?

I feel like there aren't that many applicants this cycle at all.. Kind of concerns me. Thoughts?
I could be wrong, but I take it a few different ways. 1. Less applicants are on SDN publicizing. Orrrr 2. The quality of DO and PA matriculants is going down as they are opening more and more schools up. This seems like a nightmare situation for future DOs with the residency merge.. butttt then again I could be wrong haha

I could be wrong, but I take it a few different ways. 1. Less applicants are on SDN publicizing. Orrrr 2. The quality of DO and PA matriculants is going down as they are opening more and more schools up. This seems like a nightmare situation for future DOs with the residency merge.. butttt then again I could be wrong haha

I keep getting called back to interview at schools I was initially waitlisted at, so I took that as a sign as there aren't as many applicants this cycle.

Called back to interview?

As in a second interview?
I think they mean their grades + MCAT + general app stuff got them put on an initial waitlist but now they've been invited to interview!

I keep getting called back to interview at schools I was initially waitlisted at, so I took that as a sign as there aren't as many applicants this cycle.
Yeah, there probably aren't as many applicants this year. I agree and gave a few reasons, above, why I think number of applicants are down (pure speculation).

This is what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear here ha

Nah you're cool.

Just didn't want to think the school was vetting you twice.

And I totally get the wait list thing. Was waitlisted at Western post interview. Got an acceptance month later. Had a feeling it was cause either the dean put in a good word or they still hadn't filled their class yet. I'm very sure my grades weren't competitive compared to some of the applicants they were getting so it didn't make sense to pick me over someone more qualified off the waitlist because they said they constantly do a re-evaluation when picking off the waitlist. This was back in December.

Hello,
Has there been anyone who has gotten rejections from all nine schools ? I am just wondering..

Hey guys what is the chance of getting an acceptance at NYCPM post interview?

I thought the reason why they interviewed you is because you have good stats?

I thought the reason why they interviewed you is because you have good stats?

Probably but some schools will also interview weaker stats to see what's up or get an explanation. They obviously don't accept every single people they interview, but like I said, as long as your interview wasn't horrible I think you have a pretty good shot!

I didn't interview there so this is just what I've seen on the forum in the past.

So I'm a pre med entering the end of the cycle with no acceptances unfortunately. I'm really interested in scholl Bc I want to be in Chicago. I would need to re write my personal statement and get my med school letters of rec re worded towards podiatry. Then transcripts and all that. I would also need to shadow a podiatrist in order to get a letter from him. This would take at least a month. Do you think by that time it'll be too late to apply? I would only want to apply if my chances are good bc then I would be a re-applicant next year. Thanks everyone

So I'm a pre med entering the end of the cycle with no acceptances unfortunately. I'm really interested in scholl Bc I want to be in Chicago. I would need to re write my personal statement and get my med school letters of rec re worded towards podiatry. Then transcripts and all that. I would also need to shadow a podiatrist in order to get a letter from him. This would take at least a month. Do you think by that time it'll be too late to apply? I would only want to apply if my chances are good bc then I would be a re-applicant next year. Thanks everyone
You forgot to put that you need to make sure you actually wanna be a podiatrist and arent just trying to get into any healthcare grad school

Reactions: 5 users
You forgot to put that you need to make sure you actually wanna be a podiatrist and arent just trying to get into any healthcare grad school

But what else I'm going to do with a useless Biology degree?!?? Pharmacy??

Your chances, especially at this point in the cycle, will depend on your stats (GPA and MCAT). But personally, I think you should start shadowing now and then apply next year IF you find that you are really interested in podiatry.

Agreed. It's pretty insulting for those of us who actually want to be podiatrists and are applying because it's what we want and not just because we got rejected from an MD program. The schools will know if you got rejected (because it asks on the application if you've applied elsewhere) and can often times see right through an application. They know who does/doesn't actually want to be a podiatrist.

Sorry that sounds harsh but we work hard to get into pod school too...

Last edited:

I agree withe the others as well.

Take some time off to reflect why you didn't get any acceptances this cycle. Was it your stats or was it the interviews? How about applying to linkage programs through an SMP to either Md/Do schools?

Shadow a podiatrist and get the experience hands on. Only apply to pod schools when you know you can do this for the rest of your life.

Finally, applying, interviews, and acceptance, at this point in cycle, depends on your stats.

No, I went to college and got a degree, therefore it is beneath me.

I must somehow show people that I am smarter than average.

I got a Master's.

Its the equivalent of telling people I'm too over qualified to work that entry level but too under qualified to be of use.

Might as well leave it off my resume.

Agreed. It's pretty insulting for those of us who actually want to be podiatrists and are applying because it's what we want and not just because we got rejected from an MD program. The schools will know if you got rejected and can often times see right through an application. They know who does/doesn't actually want to be a podiatrist.

Ehhh, depends on the school. After interviewing at all the schools, there is deffinantly a quality difference btw some schools.

Your chances, especially at this point in the cycle, will depend on your stats (GPA and MCAT). But personally, I think you should start shadowing now and then apply next year IF you find that you are really interested in podiatry.

You starting to get the idea now @mgrey ?

I promise you, if you went in wanting to be MD/DO and are only picking DPM to cure the itch because of laziness/time, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Grow a spine. Retake MCAT. Do Post-bac or linked SMP if you want MD/DO. If you aren't willing to put in the work, then you don't actually want to get in that bad.

Agreed. It's pretty insulting for those of us who actually want to be podiatrists and are applying because it's what we want and not just because we got rejected from an MD program. The schools will know if you got rejected and can often times see right through an application. They know who does/doesn't actually want to be a podiatrist.

I used to think like you. "Dam premeds jumping ship with half-assed intentions on podiatry because its the next best option". But the thing is, if they have the necessary grades and the right attitude/personality, why not? A field who can gather well-qualified applicants with personable skills will increase the overall quality of the profession. Again this is at the discretion of the interviewing committee. Will they play by picking strictly off of numbers, by rewarding reinvention, intention, and personality, or a combination of both?

Last edited:
Ehhh, depends on the school. After interviewing at all the schools, there is deffinantly a quality difference btw some schools.
Well yeah you'll get that at any kind of medical school! But I get what you're saying.

Reactions: 2 users
Care to give your assessment? (feel free to PM me if you don't want to make your views public in case anyone with some "power" over your future is reading.
But I'll point out that many people tend to forget it all comes down to the student regardless of institution attended. only thing the institution really affects is things like networking opportunities.

Weirdy said:
I used to think like you. "Dam premeds jumping ship with half-assed intentions on podiatry because its the next best option". But the thing is, if they have the necessary grades and the right attitude/personality, why not? A field who can gather well-qualified applicants with personable skills will increase the overall quality of the profession. Again this is at the discretion of the interviewing committee. Will they play by picking strictly off of numbers, by rewarding reinvention, intention, and personality, or a combination of both?

It's very rare to find someone whose real passion is just medicine. seriously. There are so many factors that drives pre-meds, pre-pharms, pre-dents, etc You can't really blame people for looking out for a secured future though. This might not be high paying relative to other specialties but it's certainly far above average income of the gen pop. It's not as insane compared to M.D. schools in terms of the acceptance bar either. And there are only 9 so what's that say about the demand in the first place? There are podiatrists that just clip nails and perform no surgery! Is that really someone's passion? Lol.....

podiatry is podiatry, and that's all it is, my brother. po. dia. try. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree withe the others as well.

Take some time off to reflect why you didn't get any acceptances this cycle. Was it your stats or was it the interviews? How about applying to linkage programs through an SMP to either Md/Do schools?

Shadow a podiatrist and get the experience hands on. Only apply to pod schools when you know you can do this for the rest of your life.

Finally, applying, interviews, and acceptance, at this point in cycle, depends on your stats.

arguable THE most important question to ask with any career decision but not quite. It's possible to jump ship down the line and branch off into something else. It's also hard to judge how you'll feel about your job in the future when you're in your 50s... some practitioners today are saying medicine has become too political and it's just not what it used to be. They wouldn't do it again if they went back in time. Point is, it's very smart to think ahead, but sometimes you just have to go 1 day at a time and worry about tomorrow when tomorrow actually comes.

Agreed. It's pretty insulting for those of us who actually want to be podiatrists and are applying because it's what we want and not just because we got rejected from an MD program. The schools will know if you got rejected (because it asks on the application if you've applied elsewhere) and can often times see right through an application. They know who does/doesn't actually want to be a podiatrist.

Sorry that sounds harsh but we work hard to get into pod school too...

why do you say it's insulting? your hard work paid off and you got into the school you wanted, you'll be licensed and practicing in the field you want some day. why feel insulted?

Thank you everyone. And I mean absolutely no insult, I know how hard people who are pre health work. Pre podiatry pre med we all work really hard. I definitely agree it is best to shadow a podiatrist and apply next cycle so I have time to determine if I really want to do this. I guess I'm panicking bc I'm trying to figure out my future like everyone else lol. Thanks everyone and good luck

Thank you everyone. And I mean absolutely no insult, I know how hard people who are pre health work. Pre podiatry pre med we all work really hard. I definitely agree it is best to shadow a podiatrist and apply next cycle so I have time to determine if I really want to do this. I guess I'm panicking bc I'm trying to figure out my future like everyone else lol. Thanks everyone and good luck

Lol.... your future is your future and it's years away. Why not try to figure out the now and today? Sometimes we allow ourselves to get too worked up and worried for no reason. You'll be just fine whether you even get a career in medicine or you jump ship completely.

Natural to panic. We all went through it one way or another.

If you follow the advice given you'll find yourself with some advantages.

1) You've had a gap year that you could potentially fill with real world work experience. It will show. You'd be surprised how much you could mature given 1 year of real world work experience.

2) Applying as soon as the cycle opens next year would give you a huge advantage in terms of interview invites. It is understated how applying early to balance out a weak academic performance (that was me this cycle) could help you.

3) If you shadow and decide its not for you, you would still have time to consider all your options for MD/DO/PA/whatever the hell it is you really want to do in life. 1 gap year to figure out the next 7+ years of your life is a pretty good deal.

Like everyone has said before me, it's way better in the long term to take a year off to take a step back to figure out what you truly want to do instead of jumping into the first opportunity that comes to you. You don't want to run the risk of finding out several years down the road that you hate what you rushed into and all that time was actually wasted.